Berchers Bay, Virgin Gorda, Barbados

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Biras Creek Resort

At the end of the world

by IceBear7 about Biras Creek Resort

This is the most beautiful I have ever stayed at, and I doubt it can get any better.

The location of Biras Creek isunique - touched by three seas, the Caribbean, the Atlantic, the North Sound. You can reach the resort only by boat or by walking over from the Bitter End Yacht club.
And every little detail is PERFECT! it's a huuuuuge area, among hills, with a "rough" coast and a quiet beach. You have your own bicycle so that you get everywhere easily.
Lots of watersport facilities like hoby cat, windsurfing, kayaking, a great pool.

Restaurant with a breathtaking view and the best lobster I ever had.

Seclusion on Virgin Gorda

by HunniB about Biras Creek Resort

The first thing you notice about Biras Creek is that you need to arrive by boat. Whether you use their service or have sailed in on your own, you can only get there by boat. You are met at the dock and shuttled to the main building to check in. Check in was easy and was handled with a smile, something that is important to me.

We had a beachfront room with gorgeous views. The bathroom had an enclosed outdoor shower which was wonderful. Our room had a separate living area that was comfortable and casual. The bedroom had a king sized bed with wooden shutters on the large picture window.
The meals here were excellent! The bartender was great and overall the staff were just wonderful.

Biras Creek is a very quiet resort where you can only relax. There is no other option, relax and enjoy the lovely weather and scenery.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone prepared to splurge a little. You will get what you pay though, which makes up for the dent in your pocketbook. This hotels unique quality is its feeling of remoteness. After you arrive by boat, you really feel like you have been transported to a far corner of a beautiful world and that your enjoyment will not be interuppted.

Get off work and go to Biras Creek!

by TripAdvisor Member ip1275

My fiancé and I really appreciated all the reviews we read on Trip Advisor. They helped us tremendously in choosing Biras Creek for our one-week vacation from May 7-14. Hopefully I can make some contribution here and help convince others in choosing Biras Creek. I have too much to praise so I cannot keep my review short, but I am separating the topics so you can just read what interests you.

The Food
We are spoiled Manhattan foodies and we were impressed by their food every day and night. The breakfast is either buffet or à la carte (your choice), lunch is BBQ (gourmet style! very tasty meats & fresh salad bar), and dinner menu changes nightly. The dinner in particular was something we looked forward to every evening. The food is prepared with fresh ingredients (not heavy) and is tasty and innovative. You could pay the supplement for the lobster, but it is not Maine lobster and so the regular menu is just fine. There is a decent selection of wine, and the port & cheese buffet is irresistible. We were very curious how they source the fresh cheeses... maybe they fly them from France every other day!

The Cottage/Suite
We chose the garden view suite because it was good value, and we were not disappointed. If you don't mind paying more, of course go for the ocean suites. However we didn't stay in our room that much during the day and we still had partial ocean view and a newly expanded living room with A/C, so we had no complaints. (we had Suite 4B)
The outdoor shower was very nice. The only annoying thing in the bathroom was the faucet. It was too close to the sink and I had to wrap my hands toward inside every time I used the sink to avoid splashing everywhere. They came and tried to fix it right after I called - it improved but still not right. It was a really small thing I know, but it did bother me a bit.
***Bring your own CDs if you want music in your room. Their selection is very limited.

The Bugs
Not a huge problem, as we used Off w/Deed every night. We saw one cockroach and a few ants & mosquitoes in the suite, so nothing bad at all.

The Service
We were happy with all the service especially from the bartenders, Sarah the activities planner, Ben the beach instructor, Alvin the head gardener, and (I think her name is) Yvonne the head waitress. We were only disappointed with the General Managers. There was a Monday night General Manager Cocktail Party, but the two GMs did not bother to introduce themselves to anyone other than the British guests. They seemed only interested in entertaining and befriending the British guests! I have no idea why they organized a GM Cocktail Party if the GMs weren't going to say hello to every guest. We actually had to guess who the GMs were!

The Activities
Biras is definitely a place for outdoorsy people. The biking-around is very nice because you feel like you're in a small town going from one place to another, rather than being in a single resort.
We took the Boston Whaler out (still couldn't believe they just let you sign up and use without add'l charge), went Hobie-Cat sailing, sea-kayaked, sun-bathed on the serene Deep Bay & read by the pool against the Atlantic side. We went on the excellent garden tour with Alvin and hiked Trail E to Bitter End and Trail F for the workout and views. Both trails were amazing in different ways.
In short, whether we were doing something or not, we enjoyed every moment of it.
For those hungry for some tv or movies, they just added a new plasma flat-screen tv in the former library room. We didn't have a chance to enjoy it but the tv in the Arawak room was good enough for us.

The Spa
We had the couple massage and it was great. (I like deep tissue and they did it well!)

The Beach at Deep Bay
Not the biggest beach, but it was calm and very nice. The sand was a little pebbly, not fine white sand, but still great. The beach was not that windy as some other reviews have written. We were there every sunny day.

The Diving
Virgin Gorda is famous for wreck diving but overall it is not a particularly great dive destination. We took the Wednesday RMS Rhone trip with Dive BVI but were sorely disappointed after we got to the site when the dive masters told us we could not dive it due to strong currents. We had to respect their judgment. Instead we dove Wreck Alley (3 tugboats) and it was cool. We also dove Ginger's Steps, Alice's Backside and Thumb Rock over 2 days. The corals were abundant and healthy, but we were hoping to see more fish. We did not see any big animals.

The Baths
We went with the glass bottom boat tour and the captain was very entertaining. The Baths is an amazing place to visit - what a natural phenomenon! It started pouring when we got there, but hiking through the trail under the rain was a lot of fun! We trekked through these amazing grottos with natural rain water showering down the boulders. It was an unbelievable experience. We highly recommend it. You will enjoy it either as a boat trip or renting your own Jeep, rain or shine.

The Guests
The resort was half full (35 guests) when we were there. We think even if it were completely full (65 guests), you would still feel the same intimacy and privacy.
The guests were all great people, mostly British and American. About 40% were honeymooners and 60% were older (but young at heart) couples. We are in our 30s, pre-honeymooners. We made friends there and have kept in touch with two couples.

The Weather
We had 4 sunny days out of 7, not bad at all for a low season in the Carib!

*Attached are some pictures I took. I try not to include too many outdoor pictures as they are already on the Biras website. Sorry I forgot to take pictures at the beach!

Terrific secluded resort

by TripAdvisor Member TAHES

We spent a romantic week at Biras Creek during the first week in April in an ocean view suite. There are numerous activities, but you can also relax on the beach or on your porch. The food was good with numerous choices on the menu. It was great to be able to take out a hobie cat or Boston Whaler whenever you wanted. We have already booked a room for next year. The drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are very expensive.

True Romance

by TripAdvisor Member Yank

My fiance and I have just returned from our fourth weekend getaway stay at Biras Creek. Even though we live and work on Virgin Gorda, Biras is a whole other world to us.
This intimate Relaix and Chateaux property of unsurpassed natural beauty is situated on a 140 acre private estate nestled between three bodies of crystalline water.
The cottages are spread out over the length of Bercher's Bay facing the Atlantic side of Virgin Gorda. They are designed to capture the steady sea
breezes and to unobtrusively blend into their natural surroundings. Each cottage has a lovely sitting room with mini fridge/bar area with coffe maker and stereo, a writing desk, telephone, chairs and loveseat. The seperate air conditioned bedroom has a big, comfy bed, large walk-in closet with shelves and lots of hangers, iron and ironing board, books, night tables with good reading lights and beautiful cotton robes. The bathroom has a handmade ceramic sink and lightshades, a lighted make-up mirror, thick, oversize cotton bath towels, hair dryer, Crabtree & Evelyn amenities, and a charming, private outdoor shower(plenty of room for two!). The oceanfront cottage patios (off the sitting room) provide both shade and sun with refreshing sea breezes and views. Each cottage comes with your very own bicycles (with carry baskets on the handle bars) to explore the property.
Biras Creek is a nature lovers paradise with well maintained hiking trails where you can seeall the flora and fauna that this stunning land has to offer. Keep watch for the resident Iguanas who love to eat Hibiscus flowers.
The white sand beach at Deep Bay is a short bike ride or walk from your cottage. There are shade huts and loungers as well as plenty of watersports equipment (kayaks,windsurfers,sunfish,lasers,and hobie cats) at your disposal. There is even a giant chessboard on the beach, if you care for a game. The beach bar is well stocked and there is a yummy barbeque served under the thatched roof pavillion built out over the water. There is a large selection of salads, grilled fish, ribs, sausage, chicken, and lamb, as well as fruit salads and desserts,(the chocolate/chocolate chip cookies are to die for). After lunch, grab a nap in one of the hammocks in the shade of the palm trees.
The big freshwater swimming pool overlooks Bercher's Bay. There are lounge chairs in sun and shade, and the seabreeze will keep you cool as you take in the breathtaking views. Have a beauty therapy day at the oceanfront/poolside spa or a couples massage as you listen to the soothing sound of the sea. There are also tennis courts if you care for a match.
Be sure to visit the Marina Village. Take a dinghy for the day and explore the North Sound, or have a drink and a meal dockside at Esther's Fat Virgin Cafe. Do some shopping for unique jewelry, gifts, and resortwear at Fat Virgin Treasures Boutique.
Sitting atop a hill at the center of Biras Creek are the Bar and Dining Pavillion, the Arawak room (where English style tea is served daily and there is also a TV and DVD's available), a billiards room with a full sized snooker table, a library with board games, and Reception.
Dinner and Breakfast are served daily in the spectacular Dining room which overlooks the entire property with stunning views of the surrounding waters. The Bar and Lounge adjacent to the dining room is the evening gathering place for the guests to get to know one another or for a fun filled chat with General Managers John and Christine. The Dining Room at Biras Creek has one of the most romantic atmospheres in all of the Caribbean. The food is fantastic and service is friendly and attentive without being overbearing.
The Staff at Biras Creek should be commended for their excellent customer service. Everyone is friendly and helpful. General Managers John and Christine are wonderful hosts who will make you feel right at home and will make every effort to ensure that your stay at Biras is a wonderful and memorable one.
Biras Creek is a unique resort, ideally designed for true romance. This is the perfect spot to get away from it all, and fall in love all over again. So, if you are NOT the high-heeled, high rise, nightclubbing, casino type, but are a lover of the natural beauty, serenity,and understated luxury of an intimate resort, Biras Creek is the right place for you. Just like us, you may never want to leave.

Biras is wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member doctorhump

My wife and I just returned from a week at Biras Creek celebrating our 25th anniversary. Since I used Tripadvisor extensively in my research for this vacation I feel it is only fair to contribute with our thoughts after our visit.

First of all the weather was really lousy...overcast almost the entire time and rain every single day. It was probably the worst stretch of bad weather the BVI has seen in years...just our luck :(

But now the good news...we had an amazing time anyway. Biras is everything that we hoped it would be(warm, relaxed, private, active, excellent food) and none of the things we hoped it wasn't(stuffy, formal, structured, crowded, loud).

We stayed in 11B and highly recommend this villa. It is close to everything, with probably the most private veranda of all the villas. The Atlantic Ocean was literally steps away from our picture window. The rooms are nice(the air conditioned bedroom was welcome), but not particularly plush. We enjoyed the outdoor shower and the stocked refrigerator upon arrival was a nice touch.

The resort is rather spread out and transportation is by bicycle. Rather than a burden this was actually a wonderful change of pace and became something we enjoyed. There are several short but steep little hills however, and I would not recommend Biras for anyone who isn't pretty active. We took the Boston Whalers out every day and snorkeled. What a fantastic way to see the Caribbean! Beautiful coral, fish of every color, shape and size and some wonderful, absolutely deserted beaches were our destination every day. We saw rays, turtles, barracuda, conchs and untold numbers of exotic fish that we couldn't begin to name. Biras packed us a delicious lunch one day and we ate it on a beautiful stretch of secluded sand that we had all to ourselves. We also hiked(definitely hike the F trail), sailed the Hobie cats, kayaked, swam and just floated. We did tour the Baths which is a definite must-see, but our day trip to Anegada was rained out....maybe next time :) Another great treat was the sunset cruise aboard the Mary Irene, although we didn't actually get to see the sun set...you guessed it...RAIN!!!

Of course there was plenty of time to relax as well. The beach at Deep Bay is beautiful and peaceful. We stayed way down on the east end and never had anyone closer that 50-75 yards near us. The beach barbeque at Deep Bay was also a special treat, although it was rained out three days.

Evenings at Biras are perfect if you desire wonderful food in a nice, but relaxed setting. The menu varied each night and the food was unfailingly well prepared. The port and cheese bar was a big hit and a great way to end a perfect day. With no night life to speak of, except for drinks and conversation with some fun new friends, Biras is not for someone who likes to party. We found ourselves so exhausted at the end of our jam-packed days that by 10:30 we were ready to call it a day...eager to get some sleep so we could do it all again the next day.

I would say there was about a 50/50 mix of Honeymooners and some of us slightly older folks(we are late 40's) and everyone we met during our stay agreed that Biras is simply marvelous and a treat not to be missed. Biras definitely deliver in every way and I expect that we will be back, hopefully before another 25 years passes. Maybe this time we'll even see the sun!!!

truly a week of enchantment!

My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Biras Creek and had the most wonderful experience. I had done a good amount of research as most readers of this site have, so I felt confident from the rave reviews that it would be a great time. I would say that it met and exceeded all of our expectations. From the moment we were picked up from the Tortolla airport and taxied acrossed the beautiful turquoise blue waters, we were in bliss. The natural beauty of the BVI's is outstanding. There was definitely an appeal that we were going to be on a pennisula that could only be reached by boat. We are a strong, active couple in our mid- forties, so the set up at Biras Creek was perfect for us. We were greeted at the boat dock by the GA Sara, who was always extremely pleasant and helpful in planning your activites for the week. She gave us a nice tour of the property which is lovely. Being surrounded on all sides by water is amazing. The castle where breakfast and dinner is served takes advantage of all the views to it's fullest extent. At one point from where I was sitting in the diningroom, I could see 3 bodies of water. We are avid boaters, so the variety of choices Biras offers suited us well. Besides the usual Hobies and lazers at the beach, they also offer larger sailboats and boston whalers. This gave us the perfect opportunity to do some exploring of the other islands in the area. Packed and ready with a lovely picnic lunch we were off for the day to snorkel, sail, or swim from any of the beaches. All the beaches are public in the BVI's so even if it is a private island, you are allowed to use the beach. We also took advantage of the 150 acres and hiked the beautiful trails everyday. The gardens are so nice and provide nice shady areas that otherwise might not exist in a desert/type environment. We took a nature walk with the gardener Alvin who told us all about the plantings he has been doing since the 70's! We got to learn about the local flora and fauna and appreciate his years of experience and dedication. Having bikes provided proved to be something we enjoyed. It was very fun to tour around the grounds, besides getting you to and from the beach or boat docks. This was not at all a deterent to a couple who enjoys exercise, but I would say you would enjoy this resort most if you are an outdoorsy, active type person. Besides, it provided a good way to work off some of the calories consumed from the wonderfully prepared meals. The food at Biras is outstanding. They also have a very well stocked wine cellar, so gourmets will delight! We did take a tour to the Baths and thought that was worth while. Since we were booked for the" Week of Enchantment", a sunset cruise was a bonus activity we recieved. Captain John and his lovely wife gave us a beautiful tour around the islands and an entertaining and relaxing evening. He even let my husband and I take the helm for awile. The casual and friendly atmosphere was present with most of all the staff. I would have to agree that reception is not included. I found them to be almost surly at times and not particularily helpful. The GA's do an outstanding job and should be consulted for most everything you would need. The housekkeeping staff was excellent and our housekeeper Recina had a beautiful smile and made lovely flower arrangements for our room that she would pick from outside our cottage. The cottages are great and we really liked the garden ones because they were shady but you could still see the ocean. Quite frankly, I could go on and on about this place and still find something that I forgot to add. I would have to say my only complaint is that they didn't really play carribean music. I enjoy taking in all aspects of the area i am visiting, and I feel music is a part of the culture. When you are in the islands hearing island music adds to the atmosphere. Why not take advantage of the talent of the bartender Clinton and have his band perform one evening down at the beach? All in all you could not go wrong if you chose Biras as a vacation spot. It is wondeful in every way!

My Own Triathlon

by TripAdvisor Member Ocnbreez1125

My Own Triathlon

While I haven’t mustered up the courage to try an official triathlon just yet, my visit to Biras Creek Resort in Virgin Gorda gave me a chance to create a modified version.

Positioned as a hotel for the “active traveler,” Biras sounded like my kind of place. Coming from a family that swears by “100 days of Pain” (100 days of exercising 100 days in a row annually) and off the high of completing a marathon, I was up for anything, but a little weary of my deviation from the gym for four whole days. To my pleasant surprise, the treadmill was not only unmissed, but dreaded upon my return from paradise.

Coming from Miami where the only hill is the Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne, I jumped at the chance to test out one of the hotel’s six hiking trails. Being the Type A personality that I am when it comes to working out, I didn’t hesitate to ask for the hardest trail out there. Sarah, the resort’s Activities Director, recommended the “F” trail for more advanced hikers. Although I’m not much of a hiker, I figured it couldn’t be that hard – I was a marathoner. I lathered on the sunscreen, grabbed my water bottle and was off. Halfway up the mountain, I realized the Smith machine had nothing on the hills of Virgin Gorda – my glutes were feeling the burn! However, with views of the British Virgin Islands that one normally only sees on a postcard, it was worth every sore muscle. On my way down, I followed a path to “Lover’s Leap,” an incredible viewpoint perched high above the cerulean waters of Berchers Bay. The only thing that would have made the setting more perfect was if I’d had someone else to share it with, well, someone besides the wild goats.

Upon my return to sea-level, the sports-bra tan lines I earned in under an hour were all the convincing I needed to get to the nearest beach for a swim. With bikes conveniently parked outside my suite, I didn’t hesitate to toss my sundries in my bike’s basket and pedal on down to Deep Bay, Biras’ private beach. Heed my warnings though - iguanas have the right of way (there is even an “Iguana Crossing” sign) and remember that you are in the British Virgin Islands so pedal to the left. (It only took me a few near death-by-golf cart experiences to get used to it.) Of course when I finally reached the beach, it wasn’t enough for me to just park the bike, I had to test my skills of pedaling across the soft sand. Being the ham that I am, I even reenacted my Mrs. Gulch approach for a few pictures. “Aren’t you tired?” my friends asked. “Never!” I exclaimed as I stripped down to my bikini and made a mad dash for the water. My destination: the dock about 100 yards out. After finally reaching it, I climbed atop to sun myself, let out a big exhale, and thought, “Who needs Hawaii? I’ve got my own Iron Man right here.”

Virgin Gorda - Wedding Anniversary Trip

by HunniB

"1st Wedding Anniversary"

For our 1st wedding anniversary, we headed off to Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda and here we are.

"Kristin at the surprise picnic!"

Andy surprised me one day by taking me off for a little hike and at the top of the hill I found a lovely little spread along with a bottle of my favourite bubbly! He had run up the hill earlier and laid everything out hoping that noone else would come along and enjoy it before he got me up there.

"Our little adventure!"

One of the great things about Biras Creek is that you can only get there by water. Of course that means that if you want to see anything else you need to leave by water. Biras Creek provides, free of charge, the use of little Boston Whalers so that you can get around. On this day, we took our whaler around to a private secluded cove and enjoyed some sunbathing and snorkeling. This is the view from that cove towards Neckar Island.

In and Around Virgin Gorda

by grandmaR

"Sunday November 30 1997 continued"

After lunch, we sailed to Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda. Bob was at the helm most of the way through Anguilla Cut. Tackless II can go through this cut because she is a shoal draft, but Whisper with a deeper keel cannot. I napped most of the way because I was tired from the dive.

Gwen and Don had intended to anchor at Saba Rock, but the whole rock has been bulldozed and there's nothing but construction equipment there. So we went into Biras Creek, and picked up a mooring next to ISIS, a CSY walkover like Whisper, but with a tall mast like Tackless II. The people who run Isis (Jack and Liz who take guests of Biras Creek out on two to four day charters) came by to chat. Jack wanted a VIAC pennet. Gwen suggested giving them ours.

There was also an Alden cutter ketch, probably 55-60 feet next to us - a pilot house version that belongs to a lawyer named Ed.

Dinner was lamb shish kabobs with canned butter cookies for dessert. I read Wednesday's Child after we retired for the night.

There was a ringing sound all night from the Shell station flag halyard. Also the rubber end of the mooring made a periodic farting sound. We still slept well

"Monday December 1, 1997"

Woke up and took a picture of the sunrise. Bob and Don fixed the farting mooring by lengthening the line. Jack told the marina about the flag.

We had a late breakfast - about 9 a.m. Bagels and lox and cream cheese and tomatoes and onion. We sat around and talked. Jack brought us ice and we gave him a VI Cup pennant.

Bob and I took a short tour by dinghy around the Bitter End to the other side of Biras. Gwen noted that the mangroves that were killed (probably by Hurricane Erica) had not yet come back.

A large sailboat came over to anchor. We also saw kayakers, sailboarders and so on. A large pontoon boat was there with a snorkel party. We tied up to their mooring and snorkeled.

Gwen found a queen conch which she showed us. There was also a cannon on the bottom. Bob saw a flounder. We also saw fire coral, brain coral, small staghorn coral and lot of dead elkhorn coral, a pudding wife, stoplight parrot fish (both stages), trumpet fish, goat fish, clown wrasse, yellow tail snapper, yellow head wrasse, damsel fish, sargent major, blue striped or French grunt, and juvenile yellow tail damselfish

After we got back to the boat, we motored (1313 to 1330) out to Vixen Point at Prickly Pear Island. We had lunch which was spicy hot dogs and hot potato salad.

At 1434, we sailed to Mountain Point, Virgin Gorda. We had some trouble anchoring because there was a roll, so Gwen wanted to have a second anchor. Eventually, Don took the anchor out on a cushion.

While we were anchoring, a catamaran came in and then they went snorkling on the reef. I went up to take pictures, but the sunset was not too spectacular.

A bareboat came in and went aground and then tried to anchor south of us. With some help and assistance from us, they eventually anchored ahead of us. They are from Rome Italy and are going to Anagada.

About 1745, Gwen and I left and went out to the point and did a night dive. We saw rock lobsters, squid, orange cup coral, brain coral, worms etc. There was some surge. Gwen put a strobe under Shout (the dinghy) so we could find it again. We had a good dive. I didn't take the camera because Gwen didn't want me to have too much distraction.

Afterwards we had shrimp and rice and beans with a tossed salad for dessert. I read a little of Annie Hill's book out loud.

"Tuesday, December 2, 1997"

I woke up once last night. Otherwise it was very quiet. I took a photo of the morning light. We saw goats on the shore.

For breakfast we had Huevos Racheros.

We saw a small turtle and needlefish from the boat.

We motored to the south side of Great Dog

"December 2nd continued"

When we got back from the dive at Great Dog, we went to see Whisper (the boat we chartered in February) in the yard. Later Gwen sold Whisper - we would have bought her if we had known she was for sale.

We got ice, water and had lunch at the marina. I had a veggie sub and a turkey croissant.

From here we motorsailed to Coopers.

Comments