4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Blondiina's Profile Photo

Incredibly romantic

We booked the Sundowner villa for our honeymoon as it sounded very romantic. I had read reviews and seen pictures, but when we arrived to the villa we were absolutely blown away. It was so gorgeous that we could hardly believe it. And to top it all, there was love songs playing in the radio on arrival =)

The villa is luxuriously furnished and there is everything you could possibly need from every kind of kitchen appliance to washer and dryer and everything in between. It is kept in tip top condition by the excellent housekeeper, Cordell, who can apparently make what ever animal he wants from the plentiful fluffy towels. There is an outdoor shower, which I was quite worried about before our arrival, but I shouldn't have been. It is private, was not infested with scary bugs and had very good water pressure.

But the highlight of the villa must be the patio, which overlooks the turquoise sea and is very private. There is plenty of nice furniture and your own small pool with a fountain. The patio is incredibly romantic at night with beautiful lighting. We don't usually ever cook ourselves on holiday, but we absolutely loved to stay in our villa at nights to barbecue enjoying the sounds of the sea and the love songs from the radio. I wish I was still there...

The road to Nailbay was in a bad condition, but manageable so don't let this scare you. And they are paving the road so it should get better. The restaurant at the Nailbay resort, The Sugar Cane, is very nice and surprisingly moderately priced. Definitely a good option if you don't feel like driving to get dinner or cooking yourself.

This is the most special place we have ever been to and a place where we will definately return one day. In a one word, it is perfect.

• catalysta's Profile Photo

Far & away down a rutted dirt road

Located on the site of a former 19th century sugar mill plantation, this full service resort offering the usual span of resort activites plus tennis courts, bocce court, & croquet lawn. Accommodations from studio & 1 bedroom hotel rooms to villas of all sizes from studio to 5 bedroom villas with private pool. Again, rates vary according to size of room & season, so see website below.
    This is a more expensive resort than Mango Bay, the cheapest room in low season is $155 a night, plus the usual 7% BVI Government Tax and 10% Service Charge added on to that.

Unique Quality: Swimming & snorkeling are great if the winds & currents permit,but their beaches are much more exposed to the elements than Little Dix Bay. I don't see the range of freebies included on their website that Mango Bay or Little Dix Bay provide (like snorkeling equipment, kayaks & little sunfish sailboats), only an offer to hook you up for day trips. Offhand, this was a very isolated resort that looked to me like it was pretty spendy for the value received, but maybe that's just because the drive was dirty & exhausting.
    The views, though wonderful, are no better than Mango Bay's superb views.

Directions: Out North Sound Road past Savannah Beach & the Salt Pond, turn left at the group of signs (see photo attached), and drive FAR down a rutted dirt road. By boat = better!!!

More about Nail Bay Resort

Casual & fun spot at Nail Bay Resort

by catalysta about The Dog & Dolphin Poolside Bar & Grill

Although it is open for Breakfast, lunch & dinner, it is most popular as a lunch spot at Nail Bay Resort for those driving down to see the old sugar mill plantation, with lovely view of the Channel & a swim-up bar to boot. Here's a bit from their website to give you an idea:

Breakfast is from 7:30 to 10:30 am. All you can eat, continental style.

Lunch is from 10:30 to 3:30 pm. A delicious and varied menu featuring everything from light and tasty snacks such as "Conch Fritters" and "Carnival Salad" to heartier helpings of "Chicken Roti", "Dolphin Burgers", "Ackee & Saltfish" (an island favorite) and "Flying Fish". Served by our pools with a fabulous view!

Light Bites is from 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm, have a variety of light bites to keep you going till dinner time.

Dinner is from 6:30 to 9:30 pm: A different menu every night of the week, designed to tantalize your taste buds and to introduce you to a little West Indian Gourmet Cuisine. Give us a little notice if you would like lobster and we will try to oblige. Features such seasonal island specialties as ackee & saltfish, conch fritters and flying fish , as well as the usual burgers etc. from the grill.

Drive a rental 4WD to North Sound

by catalysta

Looking at this road on a map you have no idea what's in store for you. I spent much of this drive in the lowest gear, and you definitely don't want to do this drive if the roads are wet! The locals tear past us tourons along the way, but who cares? The speed limit on the entire island is only 20MPH, and they aren't going to get me to speed on that road.
The views are stupendous, and well worth the drive. As North Sound Road veers left past Crabbe Hill, it goes over the first hump and then down to the lovely Savannah Bay (see Things To Do tip), with a view spot to take in the ocean waves on the opposite side of the road.
Then you'll head on up the next hill past Soldier Bay, a rather unprotected bay on the Atlantic Ocean side. The road suddenly gets steeper and begins to zigzag on up to the peak, with every curve offering views you won't dare to look at unless you stop at an overlook. Somewhere along the left side of the road you might spot a trailhead sign for the hike to Gorda Peak (see Things To Do tip). The next trailhead after that actually goes up and over to the old sugar mill plantation at Nail Bay. If you choose to do either of these hikes, I'd suggest you go early in the day before the sun's full heat builds up, and be sure to take plenty of water with you.
After your little 4WD crests the mountain, you'll wind on down an even steeper stretch of road til you get to a fork. Don't miss the next overlook, the view of North Sound Bay is fabulous! At the fork the road on the right goes in to the village of North Sound at Gun Creek. North Sound is cute, but almost everything was closed the two times I drove through.
So you may want to just take the fork to the left on down to Leverick Bay Resort & Marina(see Things To Do tip & Hotel tip), where you can have a refreshing stop and a delicious meal. You may even want to do an overnight at Leverick Bay.

BVI

by the_p0et

"Virgin Gorda"

After many hours on a flight from Calgary to Miami to St Thomas, USVI.. I hopped on a boat to Tortola and finally to Virgin Gorda, BVI. This small island is still not well known in the traveler community and as such it's really a beautiful, unspoiled piece of paradise. Relaxing on the soft, warm sand with nothing but the cool breeze against your skin, the scent of the salty sea and the gently waves inches in front of your stretch toes. This was a usual morning, afternoon and evening for me. ;-)

I also was able to toss on a snorkel, fins and leap into this inviting bath water. Immediately you're surrounded by tropical sea creatures! You can follow schools of fish, swim above or next to nurse sharks and stingrays, play with huge sea turltes, etc.. Just watch your head while bobbing in and out of the water. You may get mistaken for pelican food! I almost was. lol

"Nail Bay"

Where I stayed was called Nail Bay. My private villa was right on the beach. The whole time I was there, I never saw any more than 2 people close to the beach. I had complete privacy to do as I please and wear as much (or as little) as I please. My private pool with waterfall was amazing. It was the type that just seems to disappear into the sea. There was also an outdoor shower with leaves and flowers around it. It had vertical shower heads and a bar of horizontal ones.

Nail Bay ResortNail Bay Resort

Favorite spot in Virgin Gorda?

by the_p0et

My wife and I are heading to Virgin Gorda and were thinking of reserving a private villa at Nail Bay for a few nights. Before we put money down, what are your suggestions?

Looking for a private villa, private pool, short walk to the beach where we can have good snorkeling from shore.

Thanks!