P.O. Box 70, , Virgin Gorda, Caribbean

Booking.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• catalysta's Profile Photo

Laurance Rockefeller's other eco-resort

This is a lavish full-service resort that should satisfy most honeymooners' dreams of a romantic Caribbean getaway. The accommodations offered are everything from hotel rooms to privately ownded villas available for sale or lease, strung across the hillside just up from the bay.
    In addition to several restaurants, there is a beachside bar & grill, a health & beauty spa, free use of snorkeling gear (and lessons free for hotel guests) & sunfish sailboats & kayaks, nightly movies, hiking trails on premises, and employee-run golf carts to drive you anywhere on site that you wish to go if you're not up to walking.

Unique Quality: Little Dix Bay was my very favorite for snorkeling and swimming (see Things To Do tip), and it is also the site of this beautiful eco-friendly resort originally built by Laurance Rockefeller. FYI, Rockefeller loved these islands, and he was one of the inventors of eco-tourism before the term was ever coined. He was responsible for purchasing land and establishing several important national parks in the Caribbean, including the big one on St. John in the United States Virgin Islands (where he built his first eco-friendly resort at Caneel Bay), and Virgin Gorda Peak National Park in the British Virgin Islands. This posh resort desalinates & purifies its own water, treats & recycles sewage for irrigating the lush foliage on the resort grounds, and wherever pssible uses only non-toxic insecticides. Rosewood Hotels manages the resort now, and maintains it in the spirit of Rockefeller's original vision.
    Rockefeller also built the main dock in Spanish Town on VG, and the airstrip over on the east side of the Valley.

Directions: From main dock Spanish Town, watch on left as leaving parking area for street sign indicating "Dix Bay". Turn left & follow road to Bay. At security check point you can ask for further detailed directions.

More about Rosewood Little Dix Bay Hotel

RENT YOUR BOAT

by zuriga

Rent your boat (with or without captain) from The Moorings. They do a great job. Their headquarters includes a lovely hotel with fine food. Other resorts are found on Tortola.. from cheap to expensive. Little Dix Bay and The Bitter End.. and Biras Creek are all on Virgin Gorda.

SLEEPING, ROCKEFELLER STYLE!

by sabsi about Rosewood Little Dix Bay Resort

During our stay in the BVI we stayed in a private house on Tortola. However, we wanted to get to know at least one of the fantastic resorts on the islands so we booked ourselves on night in the Little Dix Bay Resort on Virgin Gorda. What a great decision. This place is magic!

Founded by Rockefeller in the 1960s this hotel brought tourism to the British Virgin Islands. The Queen spent some time here when she visited the BVI aboard the Britannica. So it's no surprise that Little Dix is rather expensive. Luckily we got a great deal, the normal price for our ocean cottage would have been approx. 850$ plus tax and service charge. If you aren't on a budget you should at least spend a night here though. It's worth every cent spent!

We were welcomed by a driver at the ferry with scented cool towels and ice cold water. He welcomed us with the words "Welcome to Paradise". At the reception we met another driver who brought us to our room in one of the golf cars that provide transportation in the large resort. He welcomed us with a friendly "Welcome Home". All staff member were incredibly friendly and make you feel like a queen yourself. The resort is located at a half a mile crescent white beach. The sea is turquoise and calm and perfect for spending some lazy time in the water. I especially liked the floats that are available at the beach. You can just lie down on them and float along the water. Wonderful. You can also take your snorkelling gear (which you can rent for free at the watersports desk btw) and lie down on a float and snorkel the lazy way. Soooo relaxing!

Our Ocean Cottage was wonderful, too. It came with a modern bathroom with a fantastic powerful shower and bathtub, air conditioning which keeps the mosquitos away, a bottle of rum and three apples, the most comfortable bed I have ever stayed in and a location maybe 10 metres from the beach.

The resort is located in a huge garden which is as clean and organised as you can imagine. Seems like Little Dix employs the best gardeners on the islands! There is a fantastic hilltop spa with a panorama yoga plateau and a small but lovely infinity pool, there are more tennis courts than in Wimbledon, breakfasts are supposed to be fantastic (we chose to spend some time at the beach instead!) and you can book watersports activities, boat trips and picnics in the resort. There also is a free boat shuttle service to Devil's Bay/The Baths and free snorkelling gear rental.

Nightlife in Virgin Gorda??!!

by nagled about Little Dix Bay

There is no nightlife in Virgin Gorda. OK, so September is the slowest month, but I can't imagine it's any different in high season. I'm not complaining, we weren't looking to dance until 2 am. We did listen to a guitar player at Little Dix Bay's bar after having dinner there and it was very nice, but there is nothing to do after dark. Almost everywhere shorts and a nice polo shirt are more than fine. I wore pants and a long sleeve dress shirt at Little Dix Bay to feel dressy. Leave your blazer and ties at home.

Way overpriced - too bad, lovely spot!

by catalysta about Restaurants at Little Dix Bay

The various restaurants at Little Dix Bay are notorious for being way overpriced for what you get - and with so many other fine restaurants to choose from on this amazing little island, why bother?
The restaurant selection here includes a beach bar & gril however that does cook a mean (and huge) burger at a slightly more feasible rate.

Difficult to Surpass

Little Dix Bay is the single most fabulous spot in the Carribean. My wife and I have traveled to virtually every island in the Carribean and the one location that we always return to is Little Dix Bay. We love the understated elegance of the property, the attentive staff and what I believe to be the most stunning beach in the Carribean. The spa puts the resort absolutely over the top. This location may not be for everyone. If one wants every amenity and the newest surroundings, they will likely be disappointed, but if the patron simply wants to step back in time at an incredible facility and enjoy world class service, Little Dix Bay would be hard to surpass.

Secret Paradise

If I could go anywhere on our yearly dive trips, it would have to be Little Dix Bay. The rooms are perfect, service is excellent, the food is wonderful, the dive shop is exceptional - it truly is paradise! Can't wait to go back.

Heaven!!!

by TripAdvisor Member KrisMc

Last July my husband and I went there for our honeymoon. We actually split our time between Little Dix Bay and Caneel Bay (in St. John, USVI) since they are sister resorts and provided transportation between them. We started at Little Dix and then spent the last few days at Caneel.

We loved Little Dix. It was so beautiful, peaceful, and it provided exceptional service. This is a wonderful place for a romantic vacation. Although, I would go to Caneel Bay if this were a family trip.

The service at Little Dix was outstanding. There were 3 hotel staff to every guest! Everyone went out of their way to make your stay a wonderful experience. The staff is extremely friendly and pleasant.

Our room was right on the beach and attached to one other room. However, it felt like it was on its own. The rooms were comfortable and had a great hammock for afternoon naps. The grounds are lush and breathtaking.

Oh, and the new spa is fabulous!

My husband and I can't wait to return on one of our future anniversaries!

Fantastic Hotel But May Not Be For Everyone

by TripAdvisor Member WorldTravelBoy

My wife and I just returned from spending six days at Little Dix Bay. We loved the hotel but could see why there would be those who may be disappointed. On first impression, the rooms (we had the base ocean view room) are somewhat disappointing because they are small and rustic. However, as other reviewers have noted, it is part of the experience of transcending you back in time to what Rockefeller had envisioned as the ultimate beach resort. After a few days, even my wife, who is not into rustic, started to actually like our room which was only steps away from the beach and had all of the amenities of a high end room.

The beach is beautiful because it is contained within a private bay and the water is always calm because of the reef that protects it. Although it is narrow and it is difficult to find a chair in the morning that gets sun. We did the boat drops at other beaches (Spring Bay was our favorite), went sailing on the Free Spirit and did several SCUBA dives. I highly recommend all of those activities.

The staff are extremely nice and very accommodating, the food is superb, the grounds are lovely and the spa is fantastic. My wife and I would probably go back for a long weekend just for the spa. My only problem is that the hotel is constructing villas all along the hill side which will destroy Rockefeller's vision of what made this location so special.

This place is great

Okay, I searched the internet far and wide for a nice place to stay and finally we decided on Virgin Gorda. We stayed at Nail Bay for 5 nights and that was great, but then went to Little Dix and let me tell you, it was awesome. Great food, awesome beach and water, tons of activities if you want to do them, great massages, and beautiful rooms with awesome grounds. It is a little pricey, but if you want to impress your wife, take here for at least a few days on the honeymoon. We would go back in a heart beat!

Little Dix BayLittle Dix Bay

Southern Stingray, Little Dix BaySouthern Stingray, Little Dix Bay

Lunch buffet at Little Dix BayLunch buffet at Little Dix Bay

Hobey Cat on Little Dix BayHobey Cat on Little Dix Bay

Little Dix Bay in the British Virgin Gorda

Hello All,
I exploring several places to get married and I have come across Little Dix Bay in the British Virgin Gorda. Has anyone every stayed here? If so what do you think about getting married there?

Thanks,

Re: Little Dix Bay in the British Virgin Gorda

by IceBear7

Hey Kim,

Little Dix Bay is an absolutely wonderful place! They have a brand new spa on top of the hill with a great view...

They do a lot of weddings there.

Let me know if you need to know more.

Stef

by YVRDave

The contact is Gerard Sclafani
his e-mail is gsclafani@rosewoodhotels.com
He will be able to assist you and put you onto the best person at the resort.
Also check out Caneel Bay
Joe Mazzareze, Mr. Joseph Mazzarese,

Hello Stef,
Thanks for getting back with me. What time of the year did you go to Little Dix Bay? Are there a lot of activities to do such as, diving, hiking, bike riding, etc. we are pretty active or do you just pretty much hang out at the resort? What did you think of the beaches there?

Thanks,

Dave,
Thanks for the contacts. Is there anyplace you have not been!! I see that you have been to the Bahamas what did you think about that?

by IceBear7

Hi Kim,

I was there in November. Little Dix has a nice long beach, wonderful water and a lot of things on offer. You find a lot of info on their webpage, www.littledixbay.com. I think their tennis coach is from Germany :-)

You might want to check out the Biras Creek Resort, on Virgin Gorda as well. I think this is the most wonderful hotel in the British Virgin Islands. It is much much smaller, you get your own bike to cycle from your bungalow to the restaurant, to the tennis court, to the pool etc. The beach is great as well, smaller than Little Dix though, and they have a lot of watersports. Within a few minutes walking you get to the Bitter End Yacht Club, where there's even more watersports. Check out www.biras.com.

Regards
Stef

Hey Stef,
Thanks for the info. I will check on the Biras resort.

by YVRDave

Only Nassau and Paradise Island. The first time was the best in a small hotel east of town that has now been torn down. I prefer satying out of the town and off PI because I find them way too crowded for me.

Comments