PO Box 56 WE, Brac Reef Beach, , Cayman Brac, Caribbean

Otel.com

• Cayman Brac: Avoid in 2009

Just returned from Cayman Brac on 3/2/09. Debris and destruction from November 2008 hurricane at every turn. Avoid for 2009. Many, many beaches are totally gone. Limited diving resources. Not much for children except snorkeling. No land line phones. Everything is very expensive. Good food everywhere. Interesting trails on top of Brac. Island is not ready for influx of tourists.

More about Brac Reef Beach

Great time at the Brac Reef Resort

Stayed at the Brac Reef Resort Sept. 10-17 and had a great time. I don't know if hurricane season kept everyone away but there were about 20 people at the resort the week my wife and I were at the resort. We went on 16 dives this week and they were excellent, we have been diving all over the Caribbean. Reef Divers were an excellent dive op with valet dive service we never had to touch or set up our gear unless we wanted too. The staff at the resort was very friendly and everyone always said, hello when they saw you. The food was mostly buffet style, but was fresh and excellent. I would highly recommend this resort and we will certianly go back in the future. Hello to Jay, Vicki, Rob, Michelle, Sol and Omar. We had a great time.

Perfect Week at Brac Reef

Our dive group had a perfect week at Brac Reef. We give them five stars: 1. Hospitality: The entire staff seemed intent on making our stay pleasant. 2. Accommodations: My wife and I had a king-sized bed on the ground floor with a small terrace overlooking the courtyard. The plumbing works. The air condioning works. There is plenty of hot water. There is daily maid service. The common areas are neat and clean. The swimming pool is meticulously maintained. Numerous hammocks invite you for a quick nap. 3. Meals: The food is excellent. The three-meals-a-day plan is good value. Usually we go out at least once during a week to get a change from the usual dive resort quisine. Not so at Brac Reef. The new chef provids a varied buffet that has something for everyone - plenty of fresh salads,vegetables and fruit; an assortment of meats and breads; and a selection of desserts that are all excellent. (I felt obligated to try them all.) 4. Diving: Members of our group have been diving all over the world. We rate the dive sites at Cayman Brac among the top. The walls are phenominal. There is a huge variety of sealife and the wrecks are very accessible. The professionalism of the dive staff and the 46 foot Newton dive boats make this truly a valet diving experience. The three staff members on each dive boat handle all the tanks. After a very helpful, detailed description of the dive site, you can take the guided tour or go out on your own. You sit on a bench aft, put on your fins and mask. A staff member brings you the BCD and tank (32% Nitrox is available), turns your air on, checks your pressure, waits while you strap it on, and,if necessary, helps you up so that you can stride off the platform. The return is the same protocol in reverse. The staff member checks your computor for safety and swaps your gear over for the next dive. A roll call follows each dive. There is fresh water on board for rinsing off. They keep plenty of iced drinking water on board and supply orange slices for after the dives. 5. Weather: This is the only area that the people at Brac Reef cannot control, but if they could have controlled it, I am certain they would provided us with the beautiful skies and sea we enjoyed. The ocean was like a lake. Everyday was blues skies and sunshine.

The Charleston SCUBA divers will be Brac again!!!!

Valet Diving at it's Best

A group of us from Southern California go to different locations around the world to scuba dive every year. This year, we went to the Brac Reef Beach Resort in Cayman Brac.

It was terrific. The rooms were clean and comfortable, food was fantastic, plenty of choices on the Buffet. Staff was very friendly and the bar was a great place to unwind after a day of diving.

The diving was the best I have ever experienced. The boat was large and very well equipped. Staff was extremely helpful. As I said in my title, it really was "Valet Diving". The dive crew helped with everything. Brought your gear to you and took it from you at the dive platform.

I will definately return to the Brac Reef soon.

A Great Place!

Brac Reef Resort was an excellent diving resort. Everyone was helpful and friendly. All the diving was good and they made it so easy for us. The food was outstanding.

extraordinary people with extraordinary diving

I just came back from the Brac Reef Resort and what an experience! First, the facility...To be fair, the room quality is comparable to a Motel 6. It's equipped with a working air conditioner and a ceiling fan. The bed is comfortable and overall the room is clean, but somewhat worn down...but this is pretty much true for all the dive resorts I've been to so far that is in that price range. I am sure you can find a nicer facility, but how much time do you really spend in your room on a dive vacation (or any vacation)??? As for the rest of the resort, there is a nice gazebo with hammocks over the water and is a great place to relax. The dock looks new (I assume it's post Ivan) and the place is beutiful. The food...I'd say it's the best buffett resort food I've ever had. Some of the stuff I had there include roast beef, coconut shrimp, steaks, mussels, etc. There was always something good to eat and I didn't run into a single person that complained about the quality of the food (but plenty of thumbs ups!). The staff...Extraordinary. EVERYONE is friendly, but here's the part that surprised me. When I arrived at the resort without my luggage (courtesy of American Airlines), Trudy the resort manager took it upon herself to track down my lost luggage. I didn't have my dive gear so Trudy offered to set me up with some rental gear. She made sure that I felt like I was on vacation even without my luggage. She could've very easily given me the phone number to call to track luggage and said "good luck". But she and her staff took care of everything. When Hurricane Emily was about to come through, we couldn't get a rental car to go around the island. Not a problem. Trudy handed us the keys to her jeep and said, drive carefully. When we got stuck for another day on the island because no flights during the hurricane, we stayed an extra day, free of charge. When my flight was cancelled, they found a flight for me, booked it for me and booked a hotel on Grand Cayman for me while I hung out at the bar and chatted with friends. Once again, they could've very easily said, here's the phone book, figure out how you are going to get off the island yourself, but they took care of EVERYTHING!!! If I could only say that about airline customer service...And then there was the diving...The quality of the diving is no secret to anybody who dives. The dive staff is incredible. The boat always had a friendly atmosphere and that starts with the staff. The valet diving has been described by others so I will not repeat the process. The dive staff are very knowledgeble of the sites and they get as excited as the divers when they spot something rare. We had Marc and Michelle on our boat with a short appearance by Donnnie on the first day. All three are fun loving people I would not hesitate hanging out with off the boat. The other boat seemed to have as much fun as ours. The boats are very well maintained and I would say they are one of the best dive operators I've ever had to deal with. Overall, it was a great vacation and it could've been easily ruined by the lost luggage and the hurricane, but the resort and the dive operator made sure that didn't happen and I would go back there every time I go to the Brac.

Would not return

Brac reef is a divers hotel that failed us completely. We came for the diving as did all of their customers. When we booked the room, there was no recommendation that dive reservations were required. However, as soon as we arrived, we visited the Reef Divers shop on the property and were told very clearly that we could not dive with them, that we would not be able to dive on the island. This information was incorrect. We spent the week happily diving with the Divi Tiara divers. The people working at the Brac Reef hotel were unhappy and rude to the guests, the customers diving with Reef Divers complained about the inconsideration of the dive staff as well. Contrastingly, we had a fantastic experience with Divi Tiara and will definetly return to stay and dive with them. The manager of the hotel seemed to know everyone staying there by name, came to greet the dive boats as they left and returned each day. The food was fabulous, much better than the cassaroles served at Brac Reef. Additionally, the dive staff was very knowledgable, considerate and helpfull.

Texas 14 loved it

by TripAdvisor Member bjchatham

Our group of 10 from Midland, Texas, 3 from San Angelo and 1 from Houston just returned from a wonderful week at Brac Reef. The waves were high during the first part of our trip but we still had a terrific time. The divers at Reef Divers are very attentive and safe. The dive sites are remarkable (even when the ocean wasn't cooperating). The food was wonderful and the rooms were nice and were kept clean. It took a while to get hot water to the rooms on the end but it did eventually arrive. This was a very relaxing vacation and Brac Reef is THE place to stay on the Brac. My husband and I are planning on returning later this year. We highly recommend this resort.

Lackluster Resort

We spent a week in cayman Brac primarily to scuba dive. Our package included 3 dives per day and 3 meals per day at the resort.

We were picked up at the airport in an old van. The gentlemen helping us were friendly and helpful. They unloaded our luggage at the hotel and left it outsid ethe front door. They told us to leave it, someone would be along to take it to our room. That never happened. When we went to the front desk to check, there was no one at the desk. Our luggage, along with another diver's luggage was still sitting where our driver left it. Needless to say we didn't want to leave our dive gear sitting unattended so we took it to the room ourselves.

The room was clean but worn looking. We were in time to get dinner that night but as we walked to the dining room we saw a rather large RAT scurry up a palm tree. The resident cat looked at us as if to say, "Don't look at me,I'm not going after that!" There was also quite an ant problem. When we called the front desk the response was to use the bug spray in the room. We should have known something was wrong when we found 2 cans of the stuff in our room! We asked to be moved to another room but the staff never did get back to us. The next day the housekeeper left us another can of spray but not enough towels. And for the ladies with long or thick hair--the water pressure in the shower is poor at best.

The food was bland and never hot. It seemed as though whatever was left over was incorporated into the next day's meals. To the staff's credit, however, they were polite and tried to cater to our dive schedule. If you want soda it will cost $1.25 per can. And the mixed drinks are fairly expensive. Juices, punch, coffee, and tea are included with the meal plan.

There is a hot tub but it was closed for most of our visit. And the pier/dock that you see in all the resort advertising was apparently destroyed by Ivan. There is a small concrete and wood pier where the dive boats dock but watch your step. The boards are painted 'walk here' where it is safe to walk.

Reef Divers is the dive operation on site. The divemasters are fantastic! They are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The boat was clean and never over-crowded. Snacks and water were provided. We truly felt spoiled. When we were ready to dive we just went to the platform and the staff brought our equipment to us, including our camera. The divemasters also knew the dive sites well and took us on some great tours. Our package also included a trip to Little Cayman. This is a don't miss trip. If you have never seen Bloody Bay Wall you are in for a treat. Awesome sea life, a friendly Nassau grouper, and lots of macro. There is rumour of a seahorse but no luck this trip. The photo pro was also friendly and helpful. If you dive a 6 day package you will get a free video of a couple of your dives. He also took some still shots on the boat including a group shot. The pictures were nice and we loved our video!

When we were preparing to leave we were told that since our flight was so early just to 'leave the keys' in the room. Apparently the office does not open until 8AM so if you have an early flight out you have to either rent a car or hire a taxi to take you to the airport. So, needless to say, we were up before dawn hauling our stuff to the airport for a flight that was not on time.

We can't say we would recommend the resort but the dive operation was first class all the way. And watch Cayman Airways....the flight time on your ticket isn't necessarily the time you are going to leave. That could be a problem when trying to catch a connecting flight.

Resort?

We always read trip advisor BEFORE we book a vacation. Reading this places reviews we decided that 15 or 16 to 2 or 3 in favor was a good sign that the place had more of a chance of being better than worse. WRONG! ! The dives were the ONLY thing that even spared us (if just for a few hours) the misery of this place.
The "help" was RUDE. The manager and the assistant managers are unprofessional and not very knowledgeable, not only about the island BUT also about thier own resort.
The food WAS terrible (at least they were consistant, as just about everything at this "resort" was terrible) AND very, very BLAND. They did have a good selection BUT after the 1st meal it was always the same, we joked with other guests that they had such a GREAT selection BECAUSE no one ate it! Even the breakfast was bland, reminded me alot of military mess hall food - for those of you that have been in the military!
The bar was always full of "locals & friends" and very hard to get any service at. One time we waited 10 minutes to even get a hi from the bartenderess!
We, also, had to get our own ride to the airport. Believe us when we SAY we will NEVER return to this "resort" again!

Comments