4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

389 West Bay Road, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Caribbean

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Disapointed

Disapointing. Room is next to ice machine that rumbles all night, could not sleep with noise. Mattress is old and uncomfortable. Polyester sheets are hot. Not very clean. Chairs on beach are so close together like sardines in a can. Overpriced drinks for quality of hotel.Gift shop has poor selection unless you are a man with a 44 waist.Staff is nice but that doesnt make up for a run down property.

Unique Quality: Close to inexpensive restaurants and bars

• EGitan's Profile Photo

What service should be.

I was a bit skeptical about staying at a Marriott on the island, but I was more that surprised at the level of costumer service I experienced at this resort. Not only were the staff extremely helpful, friendly, and engaged in offering the best customer service, they appeared to be true professionals in every sense of the word.

I lost my wallet 4 days into my trip. After they located it on the beach (someone turned it in), I had $300 missing out of it. Not only did Hermes, the room manager and his security staff comb through 16 hours of security video, they got my money back after identifying the thief. This rarely happens this day an age. The rooms are comfortable and average. I would suggest a partial ocean front view. It is less noisy and you can still catch an amazing sunset without the noise of the pool below.

Unique Quality: Excellent customer service. The beach is a little small and the food over priced. Also, you have to pay a 15 percent surcharge on ever item purchased as a tip. A small price to pay though for great service.
    Visit Echo the Parrot who speaks noting but profanity. Not good for children.

• When you just want to relax...

Jan and I have been guests at the Marriott about ten times. I guess that says something right there. There are less expensive trip packages available but you get what you pay for. We are always very comfortable, all our rooms have been very nice and clean, the staff is friendly and helpful and the overall atmosphere is laid back. If you like it loud, fast and non-stop, this is probably not the place for you. The last thing we want is an agenda while on vacation. However, you can book anything you want to do right in the lobby. They have a tour desk and agent available all day and late into the evening. There is a Red Sail Sports store and excursion office on the property too if you want to snorkel or dive. They are right on Seven Mile Beach so those long walks on the beach are right outside your door. You can even dine outside and watch the sun going down. Because they are on West Bay, the sunsets are incredible! The breakfast buffet has all the usual suspects and everything is very good. Try the freshly-made waffles!! We usually take a muffin and an apple with us for lunch later and no one seems to mind.

Unique Quality: We had a travel snafu that was no fault of the Marriott but they dove right in (pun intended) and got us hooked up at no expense to us. Our plane left hours early (charters can do that) and left us stranded with hurricane Lily bearing down on the island. The food and beverage manager took us to the airport in his personal car, raced around like a madman finding us a flight, paid for it and got us out ahead of the weather. When I offered payment he just smiled, waved his hand and said "come back and see us."

Directions: West Bay, right on the beach.

• JennysTravels's Profile Photo

Pretty Nice

Went here one night for dinner. Cant remmeber the name but the place sticks in my mind. There was a huge red brick tiled floor as the patio, from there it was sand and surf. The service was amazing, the place, spotless, there was a great younger vibrant feel to The Marriott.

• stopatnothin's Profile Photo

Tiny beach no more

I stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights, June 05 and I had a great time. The hotel has been completely re-done after hurricane Ivan took its toll on Grand Cayman.
    The had a soft opening June 1 and expect to have all facilities up and running by mid August.

Unique Quality: The beach can no longer be described as "tiny". Sand has been imported and it looks and feels great.
    There is only one pool here so the beach is a great option.

Directions: Located right on 7 mile beach.

More about Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort

Loved the Marriott

We enjoyed 7 nights at the Grand Cayman Marriott from April 10-17 2004. The hotel itself is gorgeous, the landscaping is beautiful. The staff is so friendly and helpful. There has been more beach added, I did not see a problem with the beach as seen in other reviews. My husband and I went snorkeling right in back of the hotel and what we saw was breath taking. The only problem we encountered- the currency..everything is sooooo expensive. If it isnt bad enough that our dollar is only worth 80 cents over there...everything is over priced even in CI money. We ate at Coconut Joe's and the food was good and it was reasonably priced. We hated Athenas..the food was straight out disgusting, even the soda was flat. The Penninsula was good. They have a pirate's buffet every Friday night at the Marriott. Good for kids. Theres really not much to do with small children. We rented a car and saw most of the island...beautiful..Don't listen to the bad reviews about this hotel. Go enjoy and relax..I have some pictures of it too..feel free to email me @ LABELLELUNAOXXO@AOL.COM

Just average

by TripAdvisor Member Yavette

Ive just returned from Grand Cayman on 3/16 for a stay of 6 days. My top 3 things to do would be 1. Do sting ray city very nice. 2. Rum point very laid back and peaceful3. Eat at Edoardos Italian restaurant The Marriott wasnt a very large hotel. I really expected more but it was sufficient. Since eating out is so expensive a microwave oven would have been very helpful. The service at the hotel was very good but I think after looking at comfort suites I wish we had stayed there even though they only had a very small beach front. So, it just depends on what your looking for in hotel. We didnt use the beach very much. The kids only swam in the pool. I have been to some other islands and I feel as though we got more for our money than at the Cayman Islands. We wanted more activities to do there and it just wasnt many or they were very expensive. Tips to know: 1.If you give them US money you get CI money back. (always) 2.When you get to the airport try and hook up with a party of 5 or more then its $5 per person other wise you could pay $25 or more to the hotel. 3.Many of the restaurants are owned by Canadians so if you want authentic carribean food you have to venture out for it to places like Myrtles, Vivines, and Champions. 4.If you like scuba diving then this is Heaven for you.

Enjoyed Grand Cayman

We spent the week before Easter in Grand Cayman and stayed at the Marriott. I chose the Marriott because I had enough points for a 7 night stay. I ended up with two rooms. I have to admit I was very concerned with the comments about the beach. The beach is small but appears to be regenerating due to the installation of the reef balls.
The reef balls attract the fish giving the kids a snorkeling opportunity. Although you are not supposed to reserve beach chairs, everyone does it and they start very early in the morning. If you do not put a towel or a book on the chair by 7:30 a.m. you will not get a chair till about 3 p.m.

I rate the hotel as follows:

Location: Excellent - in the midst of everything going on at Seven Mile Beach

Rooms - Good - Large but a little tired - on the 5th floor the hot water was spotty

Public Spaces - Good but a little tired

Restaurants/bars - Average - There is only one sit down restaurant and the beach bar closes at 8 p.m. The food was good. Try other restaurants in the area including fast food for the kids at lunch (Wendys is within walking distance)

I rate the staff as follows:

Desk Staff - Excellent and helpful Bell Staff - Very Good - not as friendly as the desk staff Wait Staff - Excellent - Most were either European or Canadian and provided very prompt and courteous service

Because of the concern raised by previous posts about the beach, I rented a Jeep Wrangler from Cico Avis. It was wonderful to have freedom to venture out and explore and to just go to the grocery store (Kirks or Fosters) for snacks and drinks. Tyrone at Cico (in the hotel) was great. Check with your insurance company to see if they will cover you in the islands. Mine would not.

Recommendations: Ask for a refrigerator for your room ( dorm size) to keep snacks and drinks cold. Buy drinks and snacks at Kirks or Fosters

Divetech for Diving - Red Sail is expensive and they will not let you dive a computer profile

Restaurant Recommendations: Casanova - Italian - near Georgetown/cab or car required Dinner for 2 with 2 glasses of wine $100 US w/ gratuity

Deckers - International - near Hyatt cab or car required Dinner for 4 with 2 glasses of wine $166 US w/ gratuity

The Wharf - International -near Georgetown/cab or car required Dinner for 4 with 2 glasses of wine $145 US w/ gratuity

Good time in the Caymans

This was my husband and my second trip to Grand Cayman, this time with our 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son. We both are certified divers and love the diving here in Grand Cayman. Our daughter completed her open water diving certification here with Bob Soto's Diving (highly recommend them)....they were great with her and made her feel very comfortable having to do the dives on her own. The people are very, very friendly on the island and there is no crime...no need to worry about venturing outside the resorts..very safe. This is not a place to go for the budget minded, all of the reviews are on the money......this is an expensive vacation destination. Restaurants at the resorts are very pricey. You can avoid this if you have children by eating outside of the resorts, plenty of KFC's , Pizza Huts, local pubs and restaurants that will save you for lunch and dinner. Favorite spots to eat were for lunch Coconut Joes, dinner The Treetop restaurant. The Wharf restaurant was also very good but very expensive.Stingray city is a must do, again go to an outside operator not the resort trips to save some money, best days to do this are Saturday or Sunday to avoid the cruise rush. Rum point is a great afternoon relaxing trip. Didn't think the Turtle Farm was worth the time. The Marriott was fine, standard Marriott, clean, nice decor, small pool , nice accomodating staff. The beach is not too bad, smaller than other Caribbean islands but they have been able to restore some of it. The best part is the reef right off of the beach at the Marriott....great for snorkeling with children or for first time snorkelers. The worst part..the beds..too soft, not very comfortable...needed to request extra pillows as they were too soft as well. Overall good trip will definetly go back for the excellent diving!!

Can't beat the snorkeling!

by TripAdvisor Member Sheg

Read all the reviews and for sure, there is no problem with the Marriott Beach. Service was excellent and although we had an oceanfront room, I think the courtyard was much more charming. The room (we did have to change) was spacious and pleasant.
You need to save your pennies, this island ain't cheap! Don't expect big caribbean flavor; this is a business person's island that happens to have drop dead snorkelling and diving. Fortunately the Batabano Festival/Parade help to liven things up. There is absolutely no begging, no in your face poverty and no loud beach bar's.
The Marriot has an artificial reef which was fine, but cemetery beach was breathtaking. You can just walk along 7 mile beach and see turtles, rays and fish without even going in the water.
The bus system is very easy and cheap. Taxis cost a fortune as do the restaurants. Just add 25% to everything. The wharf was one big tourist trap plus lousy service...ok they feed the tarpon at night...big deal. The Bed was excellent and the Treehouse had the best conch fritters ever. The Pirate Buffet at the Marriot was not worth the $45. (US) price tag, unless you are totally into buffets and fire eaters. Surprisingly the regular dinners at the Marriot were very good. The Cafe del Sol (or something like that) had excellent internet service as well as coffee.
We used the discount divers (pink and black flyer) for stingray city, the coral gardens and the reef. For $24. it was a bargain, but they nail you when they sell you pictures....and yes of course we bought the pictures!
We also did the submarine ride which was very interesting. Look for the coupon books to get a discount.
Overall a pleasant vacation. I am glad we went...but give me St Martin anytime.

Seven Mile Beach - Grand Cayman - 2000Seven Mile Beach - Grand Cayman - 2000

Hotel for kids and divers? Dive shop suggestions?

by vaoscar

I would like to schedule a trip to Grand Cayman in Feb. 2010. I am looking for a kid friendly place for a 3 and 7 year old. One adult diver, one adult non diver. Would prefer all inclusive because of the kids and who knows what they will or will not eat. Has to have a pool. Any suggestions?

Dive shop recommendation would be apprecipated too.

by Odinnthor

There are several all inclusive resorts in Grand Cayman that welcome children. Here are a few suggestions:

As for scuba shops, - take your pick:

by statonrich

The Reef is a timeshare condo, not all inclusive, and on the east side of the island, quite a drive to the restaurants and other things.

Marriott is great, but not all inclusive.

Personally, I would not go to any inclusive resort on Grand Cayman, there are too many great things to do, eat, dive..., to commit to just one place. MO YMMV

PS: We use the activity guide site: www.caymanactivityguide.com for our reservations for Caymans. They have a hotel search, puts you direct to the hotels, condos, so they give great discounts. Couple all inclusives there, but would stick with a regular hotel, condo on Grand Cayman. Sunshine Suites is very affordable, VERY kid friendly, GREAT discounts.

Hope it helps.

by Odinnthor

Eh, how is it going to help.....four months after they have already been there.....?

by Odinnthor

By the way, the Reef, did start out as a time share but has morphed into a resort, and it does offer all inclusive packages. It is actually a plus point that it is on the east side.

You are right though about the Mariott, and I agree that staying at an AI, is not my idea of a good time. In the Caymans, such accommodations just serve to deprive you of the good things available elsewhere.

Comments