Spanish Bay Reef Resort

Beaches Diving and Snorkeling Luxury Travel

Update available

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 13, 2010

As many people know the hotel has been closed for a couple of years now.
However many people are curious as to what is happening with the hotel.
We have just returned from Grand Caymen and visited the site out of nostalgia, if you would like an update and photos please e-mail stparfitt@tiscali.co.uk
However, if you had as many great times as we did at SBR, it will break your heart.

Unique Quality: The staff
The diving
The food

Directions: North Shore

Grand Cayman Spanish Bay Reef

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 28, 2009

My husband and I were there in May of 06. We loved the hotel. It wasn't packed with people. Our room was a small villa beside the dive shop. Excellent time had by both of us. We will return this year in 09. The staff was lovely, friendly and always there if you needed them. We especially enjoyed our bartender "Crazy Wayne" and "AJ". The food was so good everyday and have anything you basically wanted to eat. The beach was quiet, even 7 mile beach was so beautiful. They have a sister resort on 7 mile beach and will shuffle you there and pick you up. Grand Cayman is a beautiful place and the hotel was completely to our satisfaction!

Unique Quality: The pool is right on the beach, they have hammocks. Excellent views.

catalysta's Profile Photo

A nice quiet all-inclusive diver's resort

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 23, 2006

Although I did not stay there myself, I did scope out the facilities and take a little shore dive there. This is a nice quiet friendly resort, with a lot of repeat customers, most of whom love to dive and are certified to dive without dive master supervision. Most were couples as far as I could see, and most middle aged.

Drying rack outside the rooms held wet suits drying everywhere, and there were several snorkelers in their protected entry area as well. Supposedly there was an octopus living in that area, but I didn't spot it, darn it all. Also some lobsters living under the stairs.

Unique Quality: The shore diving is great, with an easy entry and then a short excursion along a little underwater groove that leads you to the wall. The Spanish Reef wall is covered with healthy corals & sponges, making it a prime environment for all sorts of fish etc.

As well as the usual Blue Chromis, Grunts, Sgt. Majors, Squirrelfish, etcetera, I also spotted a couple of big groupers, a few squid, and the Scorpionfish I photographed for my "Danger" tip.

Goodwin17's Profile Photo

Excellent resort

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 12, 2005

The hotel was accessed from the airport via public transportation bus. The rooms were decorated in a island style with bright colors. There were lots of wicker accessories in the room. The hotel was all-inclusive, so all meals were provided. The meals were quiet good, and were usually served buffet style. There was evening entertainment at dinner. There was also afternoon socials down by the beach. There was a dive shop on site, and for a fee dive sessions were available. You cold also rent jeeps to do your own sightseeing.

Unique Quality: I really enjoyed the lobby of the hotel. It was constructed out of stone, and was very unique looking. Outside the front door of the lobby was available tours and sightseeing you could arrange through the resort, written on a dry erase board. There were beautiful views of the ocean, and since there was no other resort nearby, the beach was very quiet. The day we got there, we explored the beach and only saw two other people, and they were residents who lived in houses facing the beach. Also due to a government proctected reef near the resort there was no swimming there, which was a bummer.

6 Photos of Spanish Bay Reef Resort

Grand Cayman Travel Forum

Need advice about Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands? Visit the Travel Forum for Grand Cayman and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Grand Cayman hotel reviews