1 Queens Highway, East End, Colliers Bay, Grand Cayman, Caribbean

Expedia.com Hotels.com CheapCaribbean

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• homeless_diver's Profile Photo

OK at best

I went in April 2006 to their condo section - look at the floor plans, its the one called "2 bedroom condo".

Good stuff:

Clean and new. The condo area was just like stepping into someones house where all the personal effects had disappeared. Full kitchen. Everything was new tile and real wood.

Food - the menu is pretty limited but what they do have is really good. They also do a weekly buffet with live band and that's is always a good choice. For those that get cooking facilities, there is a new small supermarket across the street - the only one on that end of the island.

Seclusion / family friendliness - this depends on what the traveler is looking for. It's 45 minutes away from any other tourist area so there's none of that hustle and bustle around there. But that also means there are limited avenues for restaurant selection.

Again, it's our nature to define events by the bad...but this place is really a good choice on the whole.

Bad stuff:

% i Housekeeping - My place was getting cleaned at 09:00 whether I liked it or not.

I made the mistake of commenting on it once to the actual housekeepers - the lady got upset and turned it around like I had done something wrong to her on a personal level. . She left muttering her moral opinion of my nightly activities and drinking habits. I took this issue to the front desk and was rewarded the next morning with a loud slamming of fist-on-door from the house keeping crew 'to make sure i was awake' and snide comments from the staff about how I was trying to get them all fired.

Stay Extension - My stay was drawing near the end and I had asked if I could extend a week past my traveling companions stay. My only prerequisite was that I keep the same room/condo. If not, then I'd return.

I spent 1 extra day in the condo when I was told that I had to move out to a tiny studio room . Wi-Fi - nope. I couldn't cancel .. I had paid the other huge fees in airline ticket changes.

Unique Quality: Unique Qualities:
    New buildings. Due to the hurricane wiping most of the East End away, these buildings are all new and crisp.

On-site liquor store/minimart and smallish tourism/snorkeling shop. NOTICE - this is a religious island so booze-n-beer aren't sold on Sundays. They carry just about every sundry you can need. Gringo skin got burned? They have you covered!

Laundry - they have DIY services with coin service machines. This is a huge plus in my book. No huge laundry fees and no waiting to get it done. Do it yourself whenever you want.

Directions: walk from airport to rent-a-car place. Exit the airport and hang a left, then right shortly down the road....sorta...... Drive for a really long time.

• Reef Resort Was Great! Part 3 of 3

After trying pretty hard to think of even one negative thing about the resort we are left with just this. I wish the staff had been more forthcoming and personable. But really, I?m not buying a best friend so I?m not even sure this is a legitimate resort comment. So, assuming they will fix it so their customers can somehow connect to the internet either over a phone line or wireless, the Reef Resort is flawless. It is everything is promises to be and I recommend it. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about the island or resort.

• Reef Resort Was Great! Part 2 of 3

We had a problem with our TV that was not resolved but it was no big deal. The only real negative for us was the internet access. There was no access during the week we were at the resort and the staff seemed entirely unapologetic about this. By this I mean that when I called the front desk to ask about the error message I got when I tried to access their wireless the front desk woman said something along the lines of “yes, other guests have said they couldn’t connect. It must be down.” Period. No more information. We went to the internet café on site later in the week to ask when the wireless might be up again, and too offer my husbands help, he is a network person, and we got the same answer as before only this time they added that the network guy must be off the island because he didn’t answer his phone. It was a big deal to me. My cell phone didn’t work at all not even my voice mail and I was worried about a grandmother with a cold. No reason to think she wasn’t ok but you know how it is.

In the end what we feel makes this resort stand out above the others is the housekeeping. I guess they are the people that really set the tone for the whole resort and they set a good one. Even the beach was spotlessly kept up. GO Housekeeping! (no I am not being paid by the housekeeping staff at the Reef Resort.)

The Beach: The best sand on the island, the best off beach snorkeling of the beaches we visited though I wouldn’t recommend this island if you are especially interested in off beach snorkling. After a few days looking around at 7 Mile Beach and Rum Point we decided that while the beaches were prettier there they were not so much better that it made sense to travel 40 minutes to get there. We decided we were better off at the resort. With that said I will now add the only real negative thing I have to say about the resort.

• Reef Resort Was Great! Part 2 of 3

After trying pretty hard to think of even one negative thing about the resort we are left with just this. I wish the staff had been more forthcoming and personable. But really, I’m not buying a best friend so I’m not even sure this is a legitimate resort comment. So, assuming they will fix it so their customers can somehow connect to the internet either over a phone line or wireless, the Reef Resort is flawless. It is everything is promises to be and I recommend it. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about the island or resort.

• Reef Resort Was Great! Part 1 of 2

My husband and I returned from a week long stay at Grand Cayman Reef Resort four days ago on 12/3/2005. The information we gained from the net reading others comments and reviews of the island and it’s accommodations was so helpful to us that I decided to really do my best to return the favor for others looking for information about a recent trip to Grand Cayman and the Reef Resort by leaving a really through review of our stay. (Apparently also in the form of super long sentences) So…here it goes. Note: I am posting my comments regarding the island and the resort separately in there respective forums.

Our Room: Our room was 104a. Lovely. So much nicer than we expected. Such a great view. In fact the appliances, full sized, were newer than the ones we have at home. The rooms were spotlessly clean and fresh smelling. They provided all of the amenities such as dish detergent, sponges to wipe up, utensils etc even the ice trays were full and ready when we arrived. The furnishings were new and nice if not upscale. Comfortable except for the bed which was so hard that we thought they had accidentally stacked two box springs. My guess is that the staff would have switched out the beds if we had said anything but we didn’t bother. The air conditioning worked like a dream. It really does feels like your own little apartment after a few days. In fact it was very similar in size and layout to my first apartment.

Regarding housekeeping: The housecleaning staff empty trash cans and collect towels once a day and clean the whole suite twice a week. GREAT housekeeping!

• stopatnothin's Profile Photo

Large property with more amenities

I just loved the studio room here. The hot tub opens up to the bedroom which is great for those looking for a bit of romance.

Unique Quality: Here you have a couple of pools, a bit of beach to swim on, lit tennis court and oh yes a parrot.

More about The Reef Resort

The Reef resort-loved it!

Just returned from Reef resort yesterday- spent 5 nights 8/9-8/14, and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the new 2br condos- even though it was just my husband and me- ( we really wished we had brought our 2 daughters (early 20's)- they would have had a fantastic time too. The room was wonderful- especially the bedroom overlooking the beautiful beach(just steps away). I loved the huge patio- spent a lot of time sitting on the comfy chairs- watching the water. The pool and hot tub on the far side of the resort felt like our private pool- not usually many people in it- probably off diving during daytime. Went to barefoot man show - good time. The staff was wonderful and very responsive to questions and problem solving. I loved the pina coladas at tiki-bar! Melissa (at checkout was great) Thanks to Sandra (for upgrade to condo's).
Unfortunately, Hurricaine Charley passed through the Caymans, but the staff was wonderful on updating and reassuring us. (Special thanks to Lyall). We even had a hurricaine party- with a free drink. The staff was wonderful dealing with the aftermath of the hurricaine (fortunately no serious
damage), and quickly cleaned beaches and pools.
Ethel- the concierge was very helpful.
Rented car from Avis- very satisfied.
Can't wait to go back with whole family to the Caymans, and the Reef hotel in particular.

This side of paradise

by JoeDiver about Divi Tiara Cayman Brac

Average to mediocre food, choked on boiled pork chops at lunch once. No variety whatsoever, cuisine quality varies from 2 to 5 on a scale of 10.

60's style rooms, clean sheets but the mattress caved in a puff of royal dust. Perfect for cheap Spring Breakers, or bearded bikers escaping from the law.

Phony management, great lip service, Colgate smiles, no results.

The place only survives because of the great diving off-shore, and duopoly position shared with the Brac Reef Resort just down the road.

If your idea of a tropical escape is booze and oversized tatooed mamas, go see for yourself. You might even make new friends.

The only edge over Grand Cayman here is the diving -- and by a nose --

The more ecclectic diver/traveller will no doubt enjoy the five star amenities, up to par dining, much finer beach (sand quality, cleanliness, space), comfortable/reliable boats, comparable underwater scene, anonymity, relative seclusion...

-- of some Grand Cayman properties,

without the added cost, hassle, additional two hour transit wait for this terminally ill destination.

Don't be fooled by the "extra mile" paradigm. Just because it is harder to get to does not mean you will find heaven.

Nothing more frustrating (or hilarious depending who you ask) than perishing in the fumes of an overheated diesel engine on a poorly maintained dive boat. Yeah, yeah, everybody move back, it's only gonna be a couple of hours....island time.

I resurfaced a tad earlier from one of my dives only to find the boat master giving himself a pedicure with the knife destined to slice oranges during intervals.

Honeymooned at the Reef

We just returned from a 7 day stay at the Reef Resort where we were on our honeymoon. I've read all of the other reviews so far and I have to say this -- whether or not you love this resort depends on two things -- whether you rent a car and whether you enjoy peace/quiet or lots of activity.
We loved the fact the the Reef Resort was so secluded. We were happy that the maid only came 2x a week (we didn't need a thing and we certainly didn't mind doing our own dishes!). Everyone was more than polite and helpful at the Reef.
Upon ariving, we were given a schedule of activities -we participated in the Sunset cruise, stingray snorkling (A MUST!) and some others. We were given a 2 for 1 rate for sitting through a 15 - 30 minute no pressure talk about timeshares (this was our choice and was no way pushed on us - it was very low key)
If you want lots of night life and activity, stay on 7 mile. I would have hated it there because it was too crowded, but that's just me.
If you stay at the Reef, rent a car. There is bus service for about $5 per person each way and the service is not as erratic as everyone says. We had no troubles at all, but I think most people would prefer to have a car readily at their disposal.
Everything in the Caymans is expensive no matter where you stay. Make sure you know if prices are in CI or US because it does make a difference when you get the bill!
Overall, I'm glad that we went, we had a great time.

wally in wisconsin

by eldukay

is ther a motel we can stay in grand cayman islands from oct 9th thru oct 25th our honey moon something really cheap please let me know hopefully waiting

Re: wally in wisconsin

by GrandCayman1980

Hi Wally

I live here in Grand Cayman and it really does depend on where abouts on the Island you want to stay? If its Seven Mile Beach then be prepared to pay top prices US$150 per night upwards. Comfort Suites, Sunshine Suites are middle of the road places, clean and nice but not the Ritz.

If you are happy to stay out towards East End then "The Reef resort" - www.thereef.com is fantastic and only US$99 per night.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, David.

Re: wally in wisconsin

by Testudo

Sunshine Suites and Comfort Suites are two good suggestions. Since it is low season in Oct also look at the Westin and Cayman Islands Beach Suites for deals.

Nothing fancy but they are clean, staff is friendly, it is waterfront and the price is right: http://www.harbourviewapartments.com/

A bit more, but a step up: http://www.shangrilabandb.com/rooms.html

Also try VRBO.com or Flipkey.com for a rental by owner deals.

Comments