166 Bodden Town Road, Grand Cayman, Caribbean

• Grand Cayman #1 rated suite hotel

On the beach at Bodden Town, 1 bedroom, living room, kitchen with rental car costs about 60% of a Marriott room. Beats Marriott, Ritz Carlton and every other hotel on the island per internet rating of 16 Cayman hotels. Only has 8 suites, that's why it's not widely listed. One unit available Feb. 3 to 10 due to a cancellation. Phone 3459478665, vacation@turtlenestinn.com

Unique Quality: Pool, on the beach, beautiful rooms, friendly hosts.

Directions: 10 miles east of airport

• Far from the madding crowd

I stayed at the Turtle Nest Inn on my first trip to Cayman. I was with my Mom and my aunt, who had rather specific needs for a place to stay. They wanted apartment-style accommodations on the beach and on the ground floor. They did not want to deal with tourist crowds.

I found the Inn on the internet and it looked perfect, so I contacted owners, Marleine and Allain. I told them about the specs and they were easily able to accommodate. We got a 1 BR apt on the ground overlooking the beach and a rental car was included in the package.

When we got to Cayman, everything was just as they said it would be. The car was waiting for us, we had a map to the Inn, and when we got to the Inn the room was perfect -- clean, light and airy and right on the beach. The Inn is small and in a residential area, so we pretty much had the beacha nd pool (on the beach) to ourselves. The owners were gracious and the housekeeper was friendly. We had no complaints and spent a lovely week there.

Unique Quality: Clean and comfortable accommodations at a good price. The location is not in the tourist area, which was a plus for us, but might be problematic for those wanting more action. Since the Inn is in Bodden Town rather than 7 Mile Beach, there weren't a lot of restaurants around - we had to drive to eat. And this is probably even more the case since Hurricane Ivan hit and destroyed the nearest restaurant to the place.

The hurricane did not destroy the Inn, though. It's still there and is fully operational.

The owners offered 2 dinner nights at the Inn - we took advantage of one of them and had a pleasant and tasty meal on the terrace with other guests.

The beach is clean and white, although there is a good bit of turtle grass in the water, so wading is kind of creepy. But if you're a real beach-person, this wouldn't bother you. There's a reef out about 50 yards and the snorkeling is pretty good. They also have a sea kayak you can use and snorkeling equipment if you didn't bring your own. The pool is small but the beach location is great, so you can sit by the pool and watch the ocean and relax with a beverage. They also have a grill that guests can use.

Our apartment had a full kitchen and we used it some, but it was more fun to go out and eat. We mostly made morning coffee and kept soft drinks in the fridge.

Directions: Main road in Bodden Town about 15 minutes from the airport.

• ScubaCat's Profile Photo

A Hotel you can call Home

Turtle Nest Inn is what you can truly call a home away from home. That's what we called it anyway. During our stay we always referred to "going home" vs. "going back to the hotel". The Inn has 8 apartments. Yes, that's right, 8 apartments not rooms. Each apartment has a fully stocked kitchen with everything you need & then some. The living room has an entertainment unit with not only a tv but a divd player (there were movies out in the foyer for your viewing pleasure). The living room had the full array of furniture ... loveseat, couch, end table, lamp & coffee table. The bedroom was huge. A queen size bed with two white wicker nightstands on either side & a dresser. It had a full length closet with doors as mirrors & a huge bright light inside the closet! I absolutely loved the layout of the bathroom! You could gain access to the bathroom either from the bedroom or the living room. The balcony was to die for. We could gain access from either the bedroom or the living room & it spanned the entire length of the apartment. Plus, it gave us private beach access. Each apartment has a different floor plan & although we had the smallest apartment at the Inn, it was perfect for the two of us, including all of our scuba equipment/suitcase & other luggage. Let me not forget to mention the housekeeping. They did a bang up job each & every day, changing the linens on the beds, fresh towels & washclothes in the bathroom & something I didn't expect them nor wanted them to do was wash my dishes, but they did! In fact they did such a wonderful job of cleaning the apartments that my husband thought the patio door was open & ended up walking straight into it! Now that was funny!

Unique Quality: Turtle Nest Inn has many, many unique qualities. Such as the true beach towels in the apartments vs. the white towels you get in the hotels. I mentioned earlier dvd's to be viewed but there were also books and magazines to read. A newspaper was delivered to your door every day. The Inn had a computer upstairs in the hallway with internet access, but if you had your own laptop, each apartment was outfitted with internet access. Our Host and Hostess, Alain and Marleine, were absolutely wonderful! Anytime they saw us they asked if we needed anything. "Of course not, everything was perfect!" When we did have questions regarding the island or needed help with something, they were there with an answer.....or was able to find it in a matter of minutes. Alain & Mareine are truly a dying breed.....they care about their customers & tend to them as if they are their own children. The one unique quality that I enjoyed tremendously was Vitamine and Blackie. Vitamine, Marleine and Alain's cat, would accompany us down to the beach/pool & keep us company. Rubbing up against us & giving us love. At one point Vitamine jumped up onto my belly, settled in & took a nap. I loved it!. Another afternoon, I was exhausted, so we came home & Vitamine and Blackie both came into our apartment to keep us company. We played with both of them awhile, then Vitamine jumped up to the couch to take a nap & I went to lay down on the bed...I really expected her to follow me in there and lay down with me, but alas she didn't . I would have to say that the only regret I have about Turtle Nest Inn is the fact that we left our dive gear at the dive shops, thus not being able to take advantage of the wonderful reef just steps from our door. This was one activity I had planned on doing yet I totally forgot & left my fins & mask behind. Next time I return to Turtle Nest Inn, I won't forget to bring home my mask & fins so I can snorkel in that fantastic reef right behind the Inn.

Directions: 10 miles east of the Airport/Georgetown

Great Deal On A Northside Condo

The Turtle Nest Inn is now also handling reservations for On The Bay, a lovely small condo development with shore frontage on Old Man Bay, the north side of Grand Cayman Island. This is a terrific choice for those who want the convenience of a full kitchen, especially couples or families traveling together who need a bit more space.
    All units are oceanfront with lovely views.

Directions: At Old Man Bay, on the north side of Grand Cayman Island, near the road that cuts cross-island

Dining At The Turtle Nest

Two nights a week, Marleine cooks special dinners for hotel guests who have made reservations in advance. See the website for details, she is an awesome cook!
    Check out the menus: http://www.turtlenestinn.com/hotel-dining-D1.htm

Unique Quality: This is a good value, for a full meal and wine, plus it is great fun to share with your fellow hotel guests. The Turtle Nest draws an interesting and well-traveled clientele.

Lovely Small Hotel on Bodden Town Beach

The Turtle Nest Inn could hardly be more perfect! All of the service is excellent, and the kitchens are fully supplied with most everything you may need. The pool area is lovely, and an outside grill is provided for all guests to use.

The only drawback is that there's no real restaurant within walking distance anymore (though there are small local food stands), now that the Edge has closed - so hopefully someone else will take over that location soon, Bodden Town really needs it. I'll update this info if I find out one has opened up there.

But the Turtle Nest Inn's website has great information for dining, shopping, etc., so have a look. There are other dining options nearby, even though the restaurant is closed for now.

Unique Quality: It was immaculate, and even prettier than the web page pictures. Snorkeling is great, right outside your door, water depth only 6 feet or so all the way up to reef. There are lobsters and all sorts of beautiful fish to be seen.

I spent many a relaxed hour at day's end in a lounge chair by the pretty pool area that overlooks the reff & shore, sipping a glass of wine and star-gazing.

Marleine & Alain, the owners, are charming. It's obvious they enjoy people, and those who visit them once usually return!

Directions: See their web page for clear instructions to find them. FYI, their web page is very informative, and well designed.

More about Turtle Nest Inn

Great place - A home away from home.

We just returned from the Turtle Nest Inn where we stayed from Feb 5-11, 2004 and I must say it has been a very pleasant experience. As for price, it's an exceptional value when measured against other Grand Cayman and Caribbean island comparable hotels. The Turtle Nest Inn has six suites, very attractive, on a nice beach with a pool and good snorkeling. An ideal spot for honeymooners and any one wishing to get away from the faster pace at the hotels on Seven Mile Beach. It is centrally located on the Island with easy access to the restaurants on Seven Mile Beach/Georgetown area, and to Rum Point a must place to visit. The suites are clean, well furnished. The owners, Marleine and Alain were very accomodating to our special needs, especially my need to access the internet for e-mails. Marleine and Alaine were gracious and went out of their way to make your visit enjoyable. Vitamin the cat was an added plus. I certainly plan to return to the Turtle Nest Inn next time I consider Grand Cayman as a vacation destination.

Lucky to Be at Turtle Nest Inn

I am writing to highly recommend the Turtle Nest Inn as a fantastic place to stay if you are in the Cayman's. I just kept thinking the entire week we were there how lucky we were to find this part of paradise. Last year, we were on Seven Mile Beach. This year, we wanted something quiet and more original. Turtle Nest Inn is very unique and special. The innkeepers strive to do everything they can to make your stay a dream come true. Everything is very clean and the atmosphere is totally relaxing. We especially appreciated the package that included the car rental. We were able to cover different parts of the island every day. The snorkeling right in front of the hotel was perfect and so was the refreshing swimming pool. Really, this is a great place to relax; this is a great place to rest and get away from the hectic reality of daily life in the real world.

Paradise Found

My wife and I just returned from a week-long stay at the Turtle Nest Inn on Grand Cayman. I have nothing but good things to say. The Inn itself was immaculate and the location was great. The entire atmosphere surrounding our stay was extremely relaxing. The snorkeling directly off the beach in front of the Inn was amazing. We felt like we had t he place to ourselves, and we are looking forward to bringing our kids on our next trip. I booked the trip myself after reading other reviews on this site, and my wife was a little reluctant before we arrived, and had heard from friends that we "HAD to" stay on Seven-Mile beach. We tried visiting SMB on a couple of our days there, but each time we ended up back at the Inn by early afternoon, and couldn't have been happier to be staying there. We really felt like we struck gold with the Turtle Nest Inn, and my wife has been on the phone since we returned telling all of her friends what a great time we had, and how much we enjoyed the Turtle Nest Inn. The rave reviews on this site are for real, and the Inn is even nicer than advertised.

Perfect

Our stay at Turtle Nest Inn was the best week of our marriage. My wife and celebrated our 10th year anniversary there in Feb and could not have asked for anything more. It was clean, quiet, warm, beautiful, great snorkeling (we snorkeled most of the week righ in front of Turtle Nest!) and Alain and Marlein are as friendly as can be. Our memories will be forever.

Comments