Cayman Islands Hotels

Our Members Say

• GottaRun profile photo GottaRun

Treasure Island Resort: No Treasure at Treasure Island

I do not recommend Treasure Island Resort unless there is not another reasonable choice. It is poor value for the money at $179/night and provides no services. We were in transit and chose the hotel only as a convenience. The night we stayed, there was no hot water, a fact we were not informed about at check in even though the hot water had been out for several days. I would rate cleanliness as average, at best. An internet cable was provided but it was only two meters long and would not reach the small desk. It really didn't matter, though, since the internet would not work and staff were unable to provide any trouble shooting help. It was not a quiet place for sleep; we could hear people talking/yelling from their balconies until 1:30 in the morning. We later learned that many of the rooms had been converted to permanent stay accommodation following a recent hurricane.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written February 10, 2013

• Rubidia profile photo Rubidia
  • Reviews: 15

Many Hotel Reviews

Having visited almost all of the hotel properties on Grand Cayman, I would say that there is something for everyone.

Here are some properties

• Written May 4, 2011

• caymanguy2375 profile photo caymanguy2375
  • Reviews: 1

Treasure Island Resort: Roach Headquarters Grand Cayman

This is a hard one to write. Brings back chills just thinking about it. Planned this trip with all of the details outlined before hand. We arrive to find a room infested with roaches. When I say infested, its not like we saw one or two roaches. The night we stayed there, there were roaches coming out of every cabinet once the sun went down. Roaches even got into our luggage!

They apologized and said they would move us to another room. A few nights later, my Wife is taking a shower and encounters the biggest ROACH I have seen in my life. I even hesitated to kill it (thought it might eat my flip flop). With this we decide to cut our Month stay short.

They apologize profusely and say they will provide me with a refund for the days missed plus comp a couple days to make up for the roach encounter. Well I bet you can guess what happened, 2 months went by and still no refund.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written May 4, 2010

• punkpin profile photo punkpin
  • Reviews: 77

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Westin Resort: Nice Hotel

I booked my stay during hurricane season, so my rate was significantly lower. That said, the hotel is a high end resort that, like any other high end place, includes nothing (with the exception of beach towels and lounge chairs). Prior to my stay I read a lot of complaints that there were charges for everything. While that is true, it should not be unexpected since it is not inclusive. If money is an issue, you can go across the street to arrange for excursions (through Captain Marvin's), for water and beer (at the liquor store, grocery store or Captain Marvin's) and a little cheaper food at Eats Cafe.

I also read complaints about the staff prior to my arrival. I had no problems with the staff. In fact, I found them to be very friendly and accomodating. We ate dinner our first night at Casa Havana. While quite expensive, it was excellent. I wasn't feeling well, so I cancelled my entree (after I had finished an appetizer) and they packed my boyfriend's entree to go so he could leave with me. The chef even offered to make me chicken soup.

The only negative thing I can say (aside from the island being expensive in general) is the rooms smell very musty/moldy (as can be somewhat expected in a very humid environment). Hopefully the hotel management will catch on that they should remove the carpet (which tends to absorb moisture and odor) and tile the floors. That should help with the odor.

You can snorkel right off the beach. The hotel is located on the best part of 7 mile beach. As you look at the ocean from the hotel, there is a great snorkeling spot to the right near a buoy. You can also rent jet skiis for a "jet ski safari" which is great fun and a better deal than renting one for 1/2 hour.

Lastly, the spa is fantastic. My boyfriend and I had a couples massage. While expensive (with tip it was almost $300 USD), it was phenomenal.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written June 14, 2008

• diver-x profile photo diver-x
  • Reviews: 483

Coconut Bay Condo: Coconut Bay Getaway

We really enjoyed this 2 bedroom condo in West Bay on Grand Cayman. The location was perfect for us, right next door to Turtle Reef, one of our favorite dive spots ever! Turtle Reef is right at the Cracked Conch restaurant and is also the location of Sun Divers where one can conveniently rent tanks, weights and anything else you need to dive the spot. Anyway, the condo was great: 2 bedroom, 2 full bath, full kitchen with everything you need to cook in. The development is quite small with just a few buildings. The larger units are right on the water and the smaller units are behind. Ours was right on the pool which was very pleasant, but we still had a little bit of a view to the turquoise blue Caribbean Sea. West Bay is a little bit away from the busy touristy area of George Town but not so far away as to be inconvenient for eating out or shopping.

This unit is owned by folks who actually take their own extended vacations there, so everything you need is in the unit: Towels, linens, kitchen appliances, utensils and cooking implements; even a great music collection on cd. The pool was right in front of the unit and we could see the sea from the small patio. The pool seemed to be only lightly used so we didn't feel as though our privacy was being invaded ever. The development is on the water and there is a small sandy area for a "beach" with lounge chairs, but right at the waters edge it is sharp coral rock (as is much of Grand Cayman), so water shoes are a must. The location is fantastic for snorkeling and diving! There is a step ladder to get into the water.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written April 13, 2008
Tip Photo

The view of the pool and the sea from the patio

• HunniB profile photo HunniB

Turtle Nest Inn: Relaxed Apartments Right On Beach

We loved our stay at the Turtle Nest Inn. Alain and Marleine are wonderful hosts. The apartment was clean and spacious with wonderful views of the water. The patio steps of our beachfront apartment steps led down to the pool and further to the beach and couldn't have been any more convenient for getting some sun.

There is a washer and clothes dryer available which came in quite handy.

The location is a bit out of town but we preferred that.

Alain and Marleine arranged for Andy to go out for the day fishing with one of the locals and I think that may have been the highpoint of the stay for Andy.

I would recommend this place for anyone looking for self-catered accommodation with great views. Using the kitchen for some meals helped to keep the budget in line. Eating out a lot on the island can add up quickly.

The best quality of the Turtle Nest Inn has to be the graciousness of Alain and Marleine. Very helpful and full of wonderful suggestions and ideas about things to see and do as well as places to eat, etc. Without them, the place would have just been another beachfront apartment.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written December 5, 2007

View Out Our Apartment Door

• Jester632 profile photo Jester632

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sunset House: Simple, friendly dive resort

I have stayed at the Sunset House every time I visit the island. The hotel is simple, well maintained, clean and the staff is friendly. If you are looking to stay at a luxury resort on a white sand beach, this isn't the place for you. There is no beach here, but the shore diving is excellent. Sunset house is within walking distance to downtown George Town.

There is a great bar at the hotel called My Bar. It’s a great place to hang out after a day of diving, meet people from all over the world and watch the sunset. The hotel also has its own dive shop with a fleet of well equipped dive boats. They offer a dive inclusive package that gives you a small discount.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written May 26, 2007

• Courtney5882 profile photo Courtney5882
  • Reviews: 24

Turtle Beach Villas: Best Villa on the Island

This villa was awesome. We had a lovely villa with a kitchen, living room, large master bedroom with bathroom. The sofa was a sleeper and there was also bunk beds, as well as, another bathroom. We had a screened in porch with a large table, lounge chairs, and floats.

Nice pool with 5 steps down onto the gorgeous 7 Mile Beach.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written August 2, 2006

Streetside of the Villa

• JoeDiver profile photo JoeDiver
  • Reviews: 1

Divi Tiara Cayman Brac: This side of paradise

Average to mediocre food, choked on boiled pork chops at lunch once. No variety whatsoever, cuisine quality varies from 2 to 5 on a scale of 10.

60's style rooms, clean sheets but the mattress caved in a puff of royal dust. Perfect for cheap Spring Breakers, or bearded bikers escaping from the law.

Phony management, great lip service, Colgate smiles, no results.

The place only survives because of the great diving off-shore, and duopoly position shared with the Brac Reef Resort just down the road.

If your idea of a tropical escape is booze and oversized tatooed mamas, go see for yourself. You might even make new friends.

The only edge over Grand Cayman here is the diving -- and by a nose --

The more ecclectic diver/traveller will no doubt enjoy the five star amenities, up to par dining, much finer beach (sand quality, cleanliness, space), comfortable/reliable boats, comparable underwater scene, anonymity, relative seclusion...

-- of some Grand Cayman properties,

without the added cost, hassle, additional two hour transit wait for this terminally ill destination.

Don't be fooled by the "extra mile" paradigm. Just because it is harder to get to does not mean you will find heaven.

Nothing more frustrating (or hilarious depending who you ask) than perishing in the fumes of an overheated diesel engine on a poorly maintained dive boat. Yeah, yeah, everybody move back, it's only gonna be a couple of hours....island time.

I resurfaced a tad earlier from one of my dives only to find the boat master giving himself a pedicure with the knife destined to slice oranges during intervals.

• Related to: Zoo
  • Written July 14, 2006

• leongarf profile photo leongarf
  • Reviews: 45

Comfort Suites: Great Place In The Center of Seven Mile Beach

Service at the hotel was great. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Not oceanfront, but I would rather be sitting on the beach than staring at it from my hotel room....just a few steps from the sand. Hotel has a cool bar with good drinks and food near the pool and hot tub. I will definately be staying here during my next trip to Grand Cayman.

They have a Don Foster's dive shop located at the hotel.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written June 26, 2006

• sirhc profile photo sirhc
  • Reviews: 24

The Pools: Away from the Beaten Path

We stayed at a condo called the Pools. It was very nice and each unit had its own swimming pool. The Condos were set against the bay on the secluded north side of the Island about a 45 minute car ride from the tourism of 7 mile beach. Several restaurants were close at hand and in walking distance. A small beach at Rum Point also had a restaurant and an excellent place to swim and just relax.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written April 9, 2006

Wyndham Sunshine Suites: Aim to Please

The Wyndham is working very hard to welcome guests back while continuing to rebuild after Ivan's destruction. We arrived at around 1:30. One of our rooms was ready, and the other was not. Check in is 3:00, and our second room was ready by 3:00. The rooms have been freshly painted, and polished. Brand new bed spreads, but a mixture of furnishings. A few of the promised amenities were absent such as a CD player in the room. If we had asked, I'm sure one would have been provided. The management, Mike and Frank in particular, went out of their way to please. We appreciated their effort so much, that we invited them to dine with us on our last night. Our stay during this soft opening, was truly amazing. From the every night Happy Hour, to the many friends we made. The only thing that I will complain about was the bed pillows. They had an unpleasant odor. It bothered me enough to wrap a bath towel around it. The grounds looked great. The pool was wonderful, and the patio furnishing were all new. The dive lockers had not been rebuilt yet. A small inconvenience since there is no elevator! The dive gear is heavy, you know! The continental breakfast was much more then continental!! All of the staff was friendly and kind.

One main reason we chose this hotel was because of the kitchens. It really saves a lot of money to prepare your own meals. The section of Seven Mile Beach across the street, is the most beautiful (In my opinion)

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written July 10, 2005
Tip Photo

Looking toward the pool from the hotel's balcony.

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cobalt Coast Resort: Yeah! Back to Cayman!

We rented a Garden Suite at Cobalt Coast Resort! This was just perfect for our family of five. The cottage had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a full kitchen and daily maid service! Washer and dryer, and stellite TV. Thanks for the soap and shampoo Arie! A GREAT place to stay!

CC is unique because of Arie, the owner! Everyone will tell you how personable he is. Another advantage to the resort is on site dive shop and shore diving. When you check in, they give you a free key and lock to store your dive gear in a locker.

• Related to: Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling

Garden Suite at Cobalt Coast Resort

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Treasure Island Resort: Only in Cayman!

Since we were here to dive, we didn't want to spend big bucks on a hotel room we weren't going to spend much time in.

The resaurants Hooks and Athena's had good food, but small portions.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
Tip Photo

Please do not hang DIVE equipment from fixtures

Treasure Island Resort: Great Pool

Just me and hubby, so we cheaped it from Expedia.com and got a great deal at Treasure Island Resort which is the Hotel part. After a $100. credit for food, our Hotel room for a week ended up costing $200.! That's total - for the week! I would have stayed in the trunk of a car in Cayman for 200 a week!
The room itself was in need of some work. The dresser drawers would fall out of their tracks, there was no water pressure and the room smelled very musty. Still worth it for 200 bucks? You bet!

The best feature of the hotel, was their pool(s). It was awesome! Swim-up bars, water falls, hot tubs! It was great.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling
Tip Photo

View of the pool from our balcony.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful