3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 68% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Britlander's Profile Photo

Beautiful View

Stayed here as a treat, and it sure was! The view from the garden of the hotel is second to none, and it gets better at night. The complementary breakfast was great and filling enough to keep you going for most of the day, I especially enjoyed the banana bread. We did the tour of the Poas volcano and La Paz waterfall garden through the hotel. The guide Coco was great and took us to Freddo Fresas for lunch, which was a treat.

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

A Good Place to Start

We stayed at the Buena Vista for one night in November, 2005. It was our very first trip to Coasta Rica and we chose it as the price included airport pickup and we were going to arrive rather late in the evening. Also, it was away from the airport a bit, in the hills above the city, which appealed to us. The price was rather high for Costa Rica, about $75 including breakfast
    (this is the highest we have ever paid for a room in Costa Rica). Our room was large, clean and comfortable with TV. It was on the first floor and had a beautiful view of the valley looking toward San Jose. Breakfast was very good and included hot entrees of some choice. There was a pool which we did not use. Most of the staff did not speak very good English but a few did. They provided us with complimentary transportation back to town the next morning to pick up our rental car near the airport.

Unique Quality: Great view

Directions: Above the valley floor

• BEETLE_VERTE's Profile Photo

Best view of Central Valley

We treated ourselves with a little bit of luxury for our last night in Costa Rica. We wanted a good hotel, a pool or jaccuzi and being close to the Poas volcano, the last thing we wanted to see before leaving. We got it. Except the pool was freezing cold. Really. We couldn't enter more than 2 steps, water up to our knees (and we're canadian, we know cold...!).
    Our stay end up costing more than budgeted because the hotel is very secluded from anything and we had to get our meals there (very good food tho). Very nice clean and well-equiped room. Hot water all you want in the shower. Staff kind of slow but very friendly when you get their attention.
    We paid I think 80$ including tax. Breakfast and shuttle to the airport included. We could also leave our luggage on the last day while visiting the volcano.

Unique Quality: The view! You have to see the view! Up in the mountain, you look down on the central valley surrounded by mountains and the 3 volcano near San Jose. You can see this view as I captured it on my Alajuela page.
    Mansion-like architecture, open terrace runs trough the backyard to catch the view. Beautiful trees and flowers.

• dero123's Profile Photo

Room with a View!!

Great reasonably priced Hotel near the airport with the most fantastic view of the Central Valley. The staff is very friendly and accomadating.

Unique Quality: GREAT VIEW, Many flowers...

Directions: On the way to the Poas Volcano

More about Hotel Buena Vista

Beautiful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member trvlg4ever

We stayed here May 5
This is a gorgeous hotel. Beautiful reception area with wide stairs to second floor rooms. The entire hotel and grounds were very clean. Beautifully manicured plants, flowers, shurbs, grass and trees around the property.
Our room, on the second floor, had a marvelous view over a citrus grove and coffee trees to San Jose spread out below. Very clean room. No A/C in room and no screen doors to allow the cool breeze to blow through the room. The room was a little warm to us. The room had a floor fan.
Dinner was O.K. Not what I expected after some of the reviews I read before we went. If we go again we will try the Mediterranean restaurant, across the street, for our meals. Prices there were must more economical and I have read great reviews about this place.
The complimentary breakfast was O.K. muffins, fresh fruit, coffee, and juice. I liked the Orquideas Inn, were we stayed 6 days earlier, breakfast buffet much better with there larger selection of food items and I liked the Orquideas' dinner much better.
If you are looking for a beautiful hotel with great views, stay at the Buena Vista. About 15 minutes from the international airport in Alajuela.

Stayed There Twice

I have stayed at the Hotel Buena Vista two years in a row. Each time, the service has been fantastic. It isn't for those seeking thrills and action. It is a relaxing home base away from the hustle and bustle. The hotel is just a short drive from the airport
(they have a shuttle).
I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a clean, comfortable room at a reasonable rate.

Hotel Buena Vista is a special place!

I am a high school teacher who travels often in Costa Rica. Sometimes I travel by myself, with my wife, or with a select group of students. For the past three years, we always stay at the Hotel Buena Vista - located on the outskirts of the city of Alaluela. It is a beautiful and quiet area not far from the center of Alajuela (and the international airport). Previously we always stayed in San Jose, but eventually tired of the congested city conditions. Now that we have found the Buena Vista, we have no reason to stay in San Jose! The staff is GREAT! They will help you plan day trips or longer, plus do everything possible to make your stay special!
While travelling with my students, they have always treated each one as a special guest.
I recently planned a trip for my wife and friends. They were worried about how they would get along not being able to speak Spanish. Once they arrived at the Buena Vista, they immediately felt at home!
I highly recommend this gem of a hotel. You will not be disappointed!

Most helpfull/friendly staff ever encountered

by TripAdvisor Member paddingtonl

On our recent 3 week trip to Costa Rica central valley and pacific coast used The Hotel Buena Vista as our "base". The staff could NOT have been more helpful from the minute I contacted them via e-mail. Handled our airport pick-up and transfers, arranged rental cars, pick-up and delivery, Locations, directions, maps and preferred routes, hotel reservations at other impossible to book hotels (Peace Lodge), cell phone rental etc. etc. As a novice international traveler, accompanied by my 25 year old daughter and her boyfriend we were apprehensive about almost everything. The staff including Christian, Harlem, Alex, Coco (and especially Jose(Curly)) went out of their way to help us in ALL regards. I truly felt that it was a "home away from home" The rooms were clean, comfortable, quiet and generously sized, very reasonably priced, the views OUTSTANDING and the restaurant excellent. The proximity to the airport, and distance from the confusion of San Jose and ease of escaping to Poas, Arenal, Monteverde all made this a PERFECT place to base our journeys. We stashed all excess luggage there while at the pacific coast for the middle 10 days. I have NO reservations about strongly recommending the hotel, and will absolutely be using them again!!!!

Perfect hotel near airport

by TripAdvisor Member lmalex

Hotel Buena Vista was perfect for our stay near the airport. The rooms was nice and the view was great. We added an extra day to visit La Paz Waterfall Gardens. A definite must. The staff was extremely kind and helpful.

Superior Customer Service!

Great atmosphere and friendly staff. The Hotel is about 20 minutes from the airport with shuttle service to and from. A great place for a week or even just a weekend! Highly recommended.

Very friendly and helpful staff

The staff went out their way to be helpful to us. They were courteous and very friendly and funny. They made us feel at home. The views were breathtaking. It was wonderful to step out on the porch in the mornings and see the valley below us. The grounds are well-maintained and offer a place to relax in a peaceful setting.
It is definitely a place that we visit again!

Comments