Alajuela Hotels

Our Members Say

• BEETLE_VERTE profile photo BEETLE_VERTE
  • Reviews: 378

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Brilla Sol: Like mom picking you up at the airport...

With only a web reservation, no credit card or money of any kind, they pick us up at the airport, even with our flight landing at 10PM. Large clean room very well equiped. The furniture was especialy nice, rich and big dark wood. Real big breakfast in the morning on the flowery terrace. Staff especially nice, even if some didn't speak english, we understood each other quite good!
We paid around 50$ for the night.

Second trip, we came back to this hotel. Same great service, location, furniture, etc. Renovated bathrooms. We paid 56$ a night.

We used the pool once. Patio furniture and flowering trees were great, but there was a lot of spiders and leaves in the water. And the water was cold... Well, we mostly used the patio furniture, drinking cold bear under the sun!

Shuttle service at around midnight is more than welcome! Big tipycal breakfast in the morning. Nice surrounding and calm even in the middle of the city, so close to the airport.

• Written February 7, 2005

Brilla Sol Hotel

• Sininen profile photo Sininen
  • Reviews: 727

HOTEL EL PEÑAL: HOMELY STAY

I was looking for another hotel when I came across El Peñal and decided to go in and see if it fitted into my budget. $25 per night including breakfast was bit more than I usually pay, but I was leaving for home in two days and had money left so I decided to pamper myself. El Peñal is a family run small hotel and the lady of the house was very friendly young woman, who seemed to work hard from very early in the morning until very late in the evening. She had two little children and probably a husband too (I heard a male voice in the evening) and I wondered how she managed to have everything done.

My room was very nice with two beds, private bathroom, fan and TV. Breakfast included toast, scrambled eggs, coffee and pineapple slices. Had my Spanish been better I could have talked much more with the lady. She made me feel very much at home there.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written November 3, 2005

• Phalaenopsis03 profile photo Phalaenopsis03
  • Reviews: 434

Hotel Villa Bonita: Warm and Comfy

For my last two nights in Costa Rica, I decided to make reservations at this B&B. Unfortunately, I didn't realize I was going to be staying an extra night in Manuel Antonio and so I had to pay for both accommodations since it was too late to cancel a night at this one.

Hotel Villa Bonita was a very comfortable experience for me. For $47 a night for a private room with bathroom, I felt totally at ease. It was the first time I actually turned on the TV too and it was also the first time I stayed in my room longer than one hour, except to sleep. The owners of the B&B were very nice and hospitable. Their desk help, Aaron, was very accommodating. After a huge bug got into my room through a missing window panel, Aaron immediately ran in with his can of Raid to get rid of the buzzing nuisance.

Free breakfast with a menu to choose from, which include a fruit platter, a gallo pinto breakfast, pancakes, and something else. I requested the gallo pinto with eggs, but since they ran out, I got the pancakes with huevos instead. Yummy and very filling! In addition to the delicious breakfast the major perk of this B&B is its proximity to the airport - it's only five minutes away. Cab fare to the airport costs 2,000 colones or $4.

• Related to: National/State Park, Eco-Tourism, Budget Travel
  • Written December 13, 2008

• DickDavis profile photo DickDavis
  • Reviews: 4

Mango Verde Hotel: Great Value.... Greater Location

Our family of 5 spent most of our Costa Rica 2005-06 New Years Vacation at the Mango Verde Hoels - in the heart of Alajuela and about 10 minutes from the San Jose Airport. The Hotel - or Hostel charges $10 US a person and we stayed in the Cartago Room (except for the first night) which had its own ensuite bathroom. The main central park was only a block away and the market 2 blocks. There were several Internet Cafes, various restaurants, supermarkets and banks all within easy walking distance. The city was much easier to visit and everything was within easy walking distance.
San Jose was a short bus ride away as was Heredia, the Ojo de Agua, Volcan Poas and other attractions. We stayed here for our first two nigts and returned for our last 4 days!!
The staff did not speak English but still seemed to get things right and even could remember our friends when they visited and we were in San Jose.
There were 2 kitchens for doing your own cooking, but he prices were so reasonable at the many sodas and at the market that we only did our early morning coffee there.

The guests were from Quebec, Switzerland. Germany, Unknown, and locals.
Location could not have been better!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written October 4, 2006

• Linnea13 profile photo Linnea13
  • Reviews: 34

Villa Real: Cheapest place to stay

I ended up at the Villa Real because it is the cheapest accomodation in Alajuela. I didn´t expect much, but I am very pleased with it.

I have a private room with a shared bathroom, clean shared kitchen, common area, and outside smoking area. It is clean, the owner is friendly, and of course, you are very close to the airport (2km).

I am paying $11/night.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Study Abroad
  • Written March 1, 2005

• Jonnyshark profile photo Jonnyshark
  • Reviews: 6

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Brilla Sol: Awsome One Nighter

This is a great place to stay after you arrive at the airport. If you come in late and don't care about staying in San Jose this is the place to be. The guys at the hotel will meet you with a big sign that has your name on it at the airport taxi stand. Just five minutes from the Airport is their gated entrance. Once inside the gates the lighting and the fell of Costa Rica all comes back. Of course they take care of all your luggage and escort you to the newly renovated hotel-Inn rooms. Dump your junk and head for the bar area.
Laid back is there motto. You can email them for reservations, no CC needed. I believe it's around $30 bucks a night, Breakfast included.
One of the best nights I had was there. Come in late, tired and need a beer. So cool they will just leave the cooler open on the honor system. Jam some music around the large round teak tables, nice!!!
So I would highly recomend this place for your first night in CR.
Oh yea, you can save a days car rental..$$$$

Clean, Fun, Close to Airport,
CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!

• Written May 22, 2004

Round Table

• cfritz75 profile photo cfritz75
  • Reviews: 27

Vina Romantica B&B: On top of the town

The restaurant part of Vina Romantica was not up and running when we got there. I was not aware of this until I got there. However, George (owner Renee's cousin) & Vicki (George's girlfriend) opened up their kitchen to us upon our arrival. This was good news since there weren't any restaurants nearby. They charged us very minimal fees to eat and drink on our 1st and last night in Costa Rica. Which helped us especially on the last day since we pretty much ran out of money :)

The rooms were VERY clean and very comfortable. Hot water was no problem and the ceiling fan gave my brother and I just the right amount of air to cool down.

Only bummer was the neighbors played loud rap music both days we stayed and was very annoying. Not Vina Romanticas fault though.

Vina Romantica is quite a bit out of the way from the town of Alajuela. It is on the way to the Paos Volcano so you have a great view of the valley overlooking a town that I didn't ask the name of. Also, the are located less than a 5 minute walk to the Doka Coffee plantation. My brother and I didn't have time to do the tour but we walked around it a bit by ourselves.

• Related to: Backpacking, Wine Tasting, Budget Travel
  • Written November 11, 2006

Vina Romantica

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Dragonfly Inn: Feeling at home in Ticolandia

We stayed at the Dragonfly Inn for one night in May of 2005 upon arrivel in Costa Rica and again for two nights before our flight home later that month. We paid about $27USD total per night for two people, including breakfast and free airport pickup. Our room was downstairs, very modest furnishings, but comfortable. No TV, however there is one in the sitting room and they do have some English language programming. The place was new and had not been opened long, I have noticed that rates have increased significantly since then. This place is owned by a couple of Expats from the USA who will bend over backwards and jump through hoops to accomodate you and make you feel at home. Upon arrival the first night Michael made us tea. Upon our return three weeks later, Michael let us park our rental car in the garage and lent us their shop vac to clean it up a bit before returning it to the rental agency (It was quite a mess as we had taken it to the Osa Penninsula). He even got up early to see us off the next morning and packed us a to-go breakfast as our flight was very early. There is a small local grocery store about one block away and Micheal walked there with us one evening to familiarize us with it. Dawn was most helpful checking on car rentals for us. Acommodations are modest but comfortable and we soon felt very much at home there. Breakfast is on a coverered porch in a small courtyard and was cooked to order, very good. Internet service was free (basically Dawn let us use her own PC when she was not busy using it for bookings).
A small downside is the bathroom is shared but it was kept very clean.

Located in a typical residential neighborhood in a typical Tico home (remodeled).
Cats on premises. Adds to the hominess but not for everyone.
Try some Tico Tacos for dinner, just a few doors down and across the street, a very small restaurant (more like a take out but there are a few tables) run by a Tico couple out of the front of their home in their spare time. She speaks very good English and was very amicable.

• Written January 19, 2007

• Suzanne123 profile photo Suzanne123
  • Reviews: 161

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel pacande: Puting numerous homes together to gain more space

The clean room was $25.00 for two and included a shared bathroom, internet access, and breakfast. I choose to stay in Alajuela because it is closer to the airport than San Jose ($2.00 cab ride) and it is a safer city! I do wish I was able to choose another room. This one had a window that looked into the shower stall of the bathroom! The shower had another window from a room on the other side also. In all there were four curtains, one on each side of the two windows which prevented anyone from being able to see into the shower, but I could still hear one other person using the bathroom which was not spotless clean like I desire. Also, the shower heater was the electric coil, common in Costa Rica, at the shower head. I prefer to not use those types at all.
The attendant that day was helpful and did some currency exchange for me.
Breakfast was a plate of fruit, coffee, and white bread. I really could have used some eggs!
I'm sure you could afford a better room and I'm sure you could probably find a nicer room for $20.00 elsewhere.
I'd probably do it again for a night! It was fully booked up, with international travellers, the weekend I was there so it is all well frequented hotel. Book ahead

• Written February 26, 2005

• theo1006 profile photo theo1006
  • Reviews: 1003

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Pacandé: Good budget option

We stayed only one night in this budget hotel of bed and breakfast quality. We had not booked and the place was full the next days. It is popular and deservedly so. Especially the breakfast in the garden is nice.
Next day we had to move into adjacent Hotel Cortéz Azul, only slightly cheaper for a double, but much less attractive. We could have stayed there, but moved out.

• Written July 2, 2012