1 KM Northest of El Diamante Bar, Tacacora­, Alajuela, 4050, Costa Rica
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Xandari Resort & Spa

Paradise Found at Xandari

by VdV about Xandari Resort & Spa

Xandari was recommended to me by some friends who went to Costa Rica for their honeymoon. This couple stayed in four different places during their trip, and made the comment, "the best place was where we stayed our last night, 20 minutes to the airport. We wish we could've stayed for a few more days there..." The place they were talking about was Xandari Resort & Spa. Very close to the San Jose airport, but what seems like worlds away in its tranquil setting overlooking the Alajuela valley, Xandari makes for a good base to start or end your Costa Rica trip. The accomodations are beautifully simple and very spacious. The staff is very friendly and nice. Cristian, the head host, was so thoughtful, bringing my friends and I some coffee and popcorn while we dominated the video screening room to ogle Daniel Day Lewis on the big screen TV on rainy afternoons. William and his wife Anita are contract drivers/guides for Xandari, and two of the nicest people I've been in my entire life. Lucy, at the front desk, is also very helpful in securing bus, plane tickets and other tourist needs. The food at Xandari is affordable, tasty (the best Sopa Negra--black bean soup--I've ever had!). They have an extensive vegetarian menu that rivals the non-vegetarian/meat dishes as well! Lucas, the resort's resident cat, greets each table of guests at dinnertime. Take the time (and money) for a thoroughly relaxing massage/spa treatment in the privacy of your own jalapa, overlooking the valley. You will feel like you're in heaven!...

Visit the Xandari website! www.xandari.com Great views; the resort has five waterfalls and hiking trails on the property. Staff is friendly and helpful. The spa is HEAVENLY!

Xandari - Spectacular

Xandari was exquisite. Our room wasn't a room, it was a villa complete with private courtyard and spectacular views of the San Jose valley below.

Food was excellent.
Grounds were meticulously maintained.
Pools were quiet and private.
Wish we could have spent more time here.

One caveat... If you are driving yourself, please note the directions on their web site are rather confusing. We got lost for two hours - should have been 20 minute trip from airport. You should take the road heading to Poas Volcano and then you see signs for Xandari. Also, if you are heading out on day trips by driving yourself, the maps they provide are inadequate. Again, we got lost all the time. Have someone give you detailed directions. And brush up on your Spanish (especially direction words).

Romantic and Peaceful Xandari

by TripAdvisor Member meredith1722

Xandari was our first stop in Costa Rica. We were suppossed to only stay for two nights, but because our overnight rafting trip was cancelled, we stayed for a third night. We could not have been more pleased with the "inconvenience". We stayed in Villa 20 which was very private and had a wonderful design (it was actually round with a high thatched roof!). The Xandari grounds are a lovely mix of unusual art and beautiful vegitation. If you want to venture beyond the actual resort area, there are some amazing trails that lead to 5 waterfalls (one of which is quite impressive).

We had great food in the restaurant for all three meals. The prices were very fair, and the food was so fresh and very healthy. They grow a lot of the vegetables and herbs on site- you can actually visit their greenhouse. But what impressed us the most was the dining staff. We asked the waitress about the salad dressing one night, and she had the chef visit our table- he not only gave us the recipe, but also gave us his cell phone number in case we had questions once we got home! I was blown away.

Xandari is truly a special place. I'm sure we'll be back.

Heavenly

We celebrated our 32 wedding anniversary at Xandari.
Typically we migrate to beach locations, however Xandari did please in every respect. We arrived late evening and what a treat to wake up to a gorgeous view and chirping birds. We ate and drank at Xandari almost our entire 8 day stay and were very pleased.
We discovered mojitos - yum. The staff surprised us with a lovely anniversary card and bottle of wine and even made us a to go breakfast for the airplane. Cannot say enough of the spa - totally peaceful. Do not leave without services. Stephan was our guide several times. We had a great time with him. We purchased items from the boutique which had the best of the best for sale. We read books from the small library, hiked to the waterfalls, and even checked CNN in the TV room. Heard there is going to be a Xandari at the ocean. We'll be there.

Paradise found

by TripAdvisor Member rkogen

Xandari keeps getter better and better which is hard to believe. We just returned from our second trip to Xanadari and met the charming and talented owners. Lucky for all of us they are opening another Xandari Hotel in Jaco in February! Xandari is an amazing retreat into color, light, nature and small touches of creative elegance. There are trails for hiking, pools for swimming, a jacuzzi, an incredible spa and a restaurant with deliecious fresh food from their own huge garden at very reasonable prices. We stopped there for 2 days on our way into and out of Costa Rica (since it is near the airport and they provide one way pickup/drop off complimentary) but honestly you could make an entire trip out of just staying there and be thrilled. Splurge for the Prima Villa and find yourself in a simple yet elegant paradise!

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member ATL_Mommy

We stayed at Xandari on the night we arrived in Costa Rica with our two children, aged 3 and 7. We loved it so much that we cancelled our reservation in San Jose for our last night and headed back to Xandari.

The hotel was absolutely perfect- an easy 20-minute drive from the airport with miles of well-maintained walking trails, two large and heated pools and a jaccuzi with a lovely view. Xandari is really a haven for people without children, and we were worried that ours might pester the other guests, but our villa provided plenty of privacy. Board games and cards in the lobby area kept the children occupied while we waited for dinner (with a kid-friendly menu). The children loved hiking through the forest along the canal, walking through the orange and lemon groves and the view from the restaurant (not to mention the friendly orange cat). Mom and Dad loved the beautiful architecture, wonderful food and (despite our travelling companions) the peace and serenity of the resort. We will be back!

Beautiful!

by TripAdvisor Member kbrown4015

Xandari is not far from the airport, and signs are posted along the way, but roads are winding and it may be hard to find at night. The hotel will send a driver on request. The setting and landscaping are beautiful and rooms have large private patios with chaise lounges so you can take advantage of the view and watch the birds. The trails are fun to hike and the pools are beautiful. Villas are large and colorfully decorated. Employees are helpful and many speak english, but if calling the hotel at night, you may need some spanish. My two teenage daughters loved the place. Food is plentiful, healthy and vegetarian friendly. Unlike another reviewer, I found the hotel to be very cooperative about a refund when my flight was late and I had to change my reservation.

A Gem in Alajuela

by TripAdvisor Member Luvitorleaveit

Our First Stop in CR was Xandari-10/1-10/3- Beautiful architecture, mosaic sculpture, extensive walking trials, exquisite meals and luxury accommodations are all highlights of this resort. The tropical gardens are well manicured and charming to stroll through. It was the perfect place to unwind and begin our trip (close to the airport). Our villa was a large hexagon shape with a high thatched roof and large windows overlooking the garden (villa# 20) with a small stone patio – a perfect spot to mediate. We had massages at the spa by a blind masseuse who was excellent, the private massage room had a jacuzzi overlooking a valley and as one got massaged the other sat in the jacuzzi. It was very romantic and soothing. Even though we visited during the green season, the mornings were sunny and the afternoons it rained steadily. Because of this the grounds are alive with luminous shades of green, tropical blooms, and butterflies. We took an early morning drive to Poas Volcano (inactive) and saw the crater where sulfur gases are emitted and the adjacent extinct crater which is now a lake. It is about a 45 minute drive from Xandari. I would highly recommend this hotel. We were able to capture some great pics at this spot.

Loved the bohemian artsy feel and lushious grounds

by TripAdvisor Member sukay

We stayed at the Xandari the last night we were in Costa Rica. We checked in in time to hike the amazing trails, which worked up our appetite for a wonderful dinner. The grounds and gardens are beautiful. The hike is not for slackers, however! The pool and jacuzzi were relaxing and lovely. We were traveling with our daughter, son-in-law and their two little ones. Our daughter had a wonderful massage in a bungalow overlooking San Jose. I was not able to get an appointment (just have to go back!)

The rooms were enjoyable. The views were fantastic. We hardly wanted to leave our patio! It was thoughtful to have soft drinks, cookies and water placed in the room as complementary items.

The gift shop was one of the best we visited in Costa Rica! We found a number of treasures there. The staff had set a table up for all of us with a wonderful view. However, our daughter had decided it was a better choice for them to order room service. My husband and I enjoyed a delicious and romantic dinner at the restaurant as we marveled at the amazing sunset and then discovered someone somewhere was setting off fireworks! A treat.

Our plane left too ealy the next morning for us to enjoy their breakfast. They graciously offered to pack us one. It was so thoughtful! Homemade muffins, fresh fruit and yogurt.

Costa Rica: Great for Adventure, Wildlife, and R&R

by VdV

"Liked it so much--went twice in one year!"

I first went to Costa Rica in May 2003 with three girlfriends, each of us from different parts of the U.S. It was the first time for each of us to visit Costa Rica and we had a great time--hiking, shopping, seeing wildlife, zipping through the treetops in a cloud forest. I liked it so much that I returned again a few months later--in August 2003!

"Xandari Resort & Spa...Paradise Found!..."

During both my trips to Costa Rica, I stayed at the Xandari Resort & Spa. It is located near Alajuela, just 20 minutes from San Jose International Airport, but feels like it's worlds away. It is a good place to spend a few days at the beginning or end of a longer trip, or also good for a quick 3-5 day getaway since there are many day trip opportunities you can take from Xandari (Poas Volcano, La Paz waterfalls, river rafting on the Pacuare or Revantazon, Saarchi Artisan Village, etc.)

The weather is always temperate in the Central Valley where Xandari is located, not too hot and humid nor too cold. It's always around mid 70's.

The resort has an intimate feeling, with spacious cabanas, each with its own private patio(s) overlooking the valley. Meals are served either on your private patio upon request or at the dining area, which also has a spectacular view of the Vally.

The spa is HEAVEN! More details posted on "Accomodation Tips."

Pay them a visit and enjoy "Paradise Found" at Xandari!

"Rio Pacuare Rocks!"

During my second trip to Costa Rica, my travelmate and I went rafting on the Rio Pacuare (my first time ever rafting.) What a great experience! We loved it so much that we went again two days later--again to raft the Pacuare! It has got to be one of the most stunningly beautiful places in the world, not to mention a sure place to get the adrenaline pumping while paddling hard through the Class III, IV and V rapids!....Rios Tropicales was a terrific outfitter which I highly recommend.

Hotel Xandari PlantationHotel Xandari Plantation

Xandari Resort, Alajuela, Costa RicaXandari Resort, Alajuela, Costa Rica

Relaxing at Xandari (photo from www.xandari.com)Relaxing at Xandari (photo from www.xandari.com)

Xandari Resort and Spa...Paradise found...Xandari Resort and Spa...Paradise found...

travelling with 8 and 4 yr old in decmeber 05

by brimo

any advice? We were looking at the fiesta premier as our second week hotel (simpler with two boys to stay in an all inclusive and take day trips from there.. Will be staying with family in san jose for the 1st week and doing travel from there. ending at xandari for one night (that is for me!). also do you know if in CR a 4 year old is allowed to zip? horseback ride? what abotu vaccinations? any and all reccomendations are welcome. Thanks and really enjoed all of your pictures! I will be trading in my Nikon FE2 for a digital camera of similar quality as digital is the only pics i take these days.

RE: travelling with 8 and 4 yr old in decmeber 05

by Canadian_Traveler

Hi There!
My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Los Lagos (officially Hotel Jungla y Senderos Los Lagos) in Arenal / Fortuna a year ago for a few days. It was a great hotel / resort with lots to keep children busy right on the hotel grounds (they're huge!) We went horseback riding one day and ended up riding with another couple and their 5 year old daughter (she rode with her mother). She seemed to be really enjoying the trip and the parents told us they were happy with their choice to stay there.
Check out my hotel tip if you're interested:

Best of Luck! (and nice choice with Xandari ;))
Vicky