Villas Sol Hotel And Beach Resort

See Also Viewed Hotels

Tags

Jungle and Rain Forest Beaches Luxury Travel
See Amenities

DON'T DO IT! (Nightmare in 90-2)

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2010

I travel often, and have stayed in several timeshare resorts. This was the worst, by far! I was there attempting to celebrate my 30th birthday, and ended up with an experience to forget. Take heed to the real reviews and do not waste your money. There are many nice resorts in the area where you will really get your money's worth.
When I checked in, I asked for an upgrade from the hotel. So, I was told that I was upgraded to a villa. Yeah right! They said my room wasn't ready yet. So, I ate at the restaurant (serves rice EVERY day for EVERY meal). Once it was ready, I hopped on a shuttle and went. When I walked up to the door, I saw a trail of mold from the top. That should have been a sign. I opened the door and the first thing I saw was mosquitoes swarming. I was bitten about 3 times during the 5 mins I was in the room. The second thing I noticed was that this so-called villa upgrade was SMALLER than a hotel room! Everything was outdated. And, it was dusty and dirty. (Someone else's hair was on the floor by the bed.) After enduring a couple bites, I caught a mosquito in my hand. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and.....*drumroll*....the WATER DIDN'T WORK!!!! I tried the bathtub faucet. No water there either! I called a shuttle and went back to the reception office where I FELL ASLEEP waiting on them to fix the water and spray for mosquitoes. I was told that I HAD to stay in that room for the night because my original room had already been given away and there were no more rooms available. The next morning, I called to ask if any more rooms had become available and was told "no". However, when I spoke to a manager, he found me another room (in the hotel) in a matter of minutes. Hmmm.... I later found out that the "upgraded" room I had been given was actually supposed to have been blocked off for renovations. Thanks, Villas Sol!
I went to check into my hotel room, and it was filthy. It had not yet been cleaned. One of the hotel employees called and got me my correct room. FINALLY, after almost 2 days, I got a decent room. Aside from the spiders, beetles, and gecko that stayed in my room with me, it wasn't half bad.
Restaurant- The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is very average. It's definitely not worth an all-inclusive price.
Area- Overall, Costa Rica is absolutely breath-taking! The greenery on the resort is beautiful! However, the resort is very secluded. So, don't think you're going to be able to leave the resort and go walking around shopping, sight-seeing, etc... You have to take a cab anywhere you want to go. And, they're NOT cheap!
During my timeshare presentation, I explained what I had dealt with during my stay. The employees apologized many times. And, the man who did my presentation, Richard, along with Jose (who supposedly has some clout at the resort) gave me their word that they would make sure I would be compensated for my trouble. I've heard NOTHING from them since. Both lied!
Sergio in reception was the only one who was truly helpful during my stay. Most of the workers were very friendly and helpful. However, the room and the food were not worth it. I wouldn't even return if I were given a FREE stay! What a way to celebrate my 30th! NEVER again!

Unique Quality: mold, mosquitoes, dust, dirt, scams, LIARS...

hawk460's Profile Photo

Not bad ---But needs a upgrade on rooms(hotel)

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 25, 2008

Alrighty,,,We stayed here May 2008,,,check in is at the villa desk as you come into the resort,,,so when you get to your hotel room you are above it from where you check in,,not real handy when you check out or need to see someone at the front desk,,take the shuttle,like I did.
As, far as the rooms,,somewhat average,,we had to exchange for another room,,because the A/C wasn't the greater in the first room,,no problems after that!Housekeeping was there everyday.

Unique Quality: The food was good to average,,I've seen a lot worst,,,never got sick on anything I've eaten there. The main bar we went to all the time was fine,, anything that was there you got,,beer mixed drinks,,no limit and good service!!!
The view we had from our room was absolutely wonderful,of the bay and beach area. There's,a lot of wildlife there, also! If, this resort has a few issues,,it makes up for them on the surrounding landscape and view from here! GREATTT!!!!
All the staff was great and always helpful and this is a gated resort,too! If you need a tour contact Memo adventures,,great guide!!!! And go to a supermercado where the locals shop for your coffee or liquor and cigarettes,,if you buy these items at those tourist places you are going to pay out the nose!!!!!!!!

Directions: Guancaste,,Playa hermosa area

travelgirl3's Profile Photo

Honeymoon week at the beach

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 8, 2005

What a beautiful location! The Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is perched high on a hillside, overlooking the Pacific. There are 2 sections, the Hotel higher up, and the Villas, located lower down, close to the beach. They have a little tram which ferries people around the resort. This was especially nice, to get back up to our hotel room after a day at the beach.

Unique Quality: The hotel section features 54 rooms with double beds, all with a magnificent view of the Bay. The rooms are fully equipped with A/C, phone, haridryer, satellite TV, safety deposit box, coffee maker and mini bar which is restocked twice during the week.

Hotel facilities include 2 bars, a gym, 2 pools and a kids pool, jacuzzi, and a dive shop.

Nearby Villas Sol Hotel And Beach Resort

• Free Parking
  • Kids Activities
  • Kitchenette

Playa Hermosa Travel Forum

Need advice about Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica? Visit the Travel Forum for Playa Hermosa and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Playa Hermosa