La Palma De La Fortuna , La Fortuna de San Carlos, 183-4400, Costa Rica

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Mountain Paradise

A Jewel

by TripAdvisor Member Barouhski

We just got back from a wonderful Trip that took us all over Costa Rica!!! We stayed at all the usual hotels that all the Americans Bost about over the years but we stayed one night at the Mountain Paradise hotel in Arenal and wished that all the hotels that we had visited we like this Jewel!!!!
Only open for 16 months the hotel is truly a gem!! Service is as if you were in a five star hotel!!! Rooms where decorated beautifully!!!! Rumor is that the owner was once the GM for one of the very FAMOUS hotels in Arenal Costa Rica no wonder everything is TOP notch!!!! We will defenatley be back to this paradise. Its only going to get better and better!!!! Thumbs up for this wonderful Hotel!!!

Great Hotel! Hidden GEM!

by TripAdvisor Member rbirke4428

My son (8 yrs) stayed at the Hotel Mountain Paradise in early May. We loved the hotel, staff, etc. We came in from San Jose and the ride was a little rough. My son was a little car sick. The staff was awesome!

Upon arrival we were greated with smoothie drinks and a cart escort to our rooms. The manager explained how the hot water worked in the bathrooms and the remote control's for the lights. If you paid attention you HAD hot water!!!

The rooms were so quaint! Not overly "fancy", but, exactly what you would expect for Costa Rica. We had a king bed and a small bed for my son. The bathroom had a rock waterfall shower and a standard shower. We had plenty of hot water! We did have a problem with our key card at first. I think it deactivated because I placed it by my cell phone. After reactivating, we did not have any further problems.

The pool and the views were incredible. After hot days touring, my son loved to swim and order soda at the swim-up bar.

We booked all our tours through the hotel. They were all fine.

Dining was great at the hotel. We ordered poolside several times. They were building a poolside grill while we were there.

I would definitely go back to this hotel. This is my second trip to Costa Rica. The first trip was spent in the Manual Antonio area. Costa Rica is a wonderful destination with so much to offer!

Worst Hotel Service Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member JR0805

This is a beautiful hotel with great views but please take my word when I say this-- THE HOTEL IS ONLY A LITTLE OVER A YEAR OLD AND IT IS NOT THE TYPE OF HOTEL SERVICE YOU WILL EXPECT FROM A 5 STAR!!!!!! They have NO idea what they are doing and furthermore, the owner is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our door didn't close and so insects and reptiles kept coming in and when we asked for a new room he told us it was the fact that we were americans that this was a problem... then in our second room the door didnt lock, the sliding door again was open, the lights didnt work, and the shower had no hot water!!!!!!

You would think that a new hotel would want to have a good reputation but NO THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT GOOD SERVICE IS!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Beautiful Resort, Helpful and Friendly Staff

by TripAdvisor Member RobertBehnke

We arrived at the hotel several hours before checkin time. Our room was not yet ready but the staff did everything they could to get a room ready quickly. In the meantime, we were greeted in the lobby with refreshing cool fruit drinks and cool towels to wipe our brows.

Geovanny, the owner really provided personal service for us, making sure everything was OK at several stages and helping us clear up a mix-up (our fault) with the reservation for the nearby Sky Trek.

Issack the bell hop who showed us our room was one of the nicest people we met on our trip and seemed to thoroughly enjoy his work, unlike many in his position who seem to just be acting out their role.

The included breakfast was delicious and eggs/omelettes were made to order.

The rooms were amazing! Little cabins with beautiful furniture and an unforgettable bathroom/shower. Our back patio looked directly at the volcano.

Close by to all the Arenal/La Fortuna attractions. Highly recommended as a base for your stay in this region.

Needs some work in the customer service department

by TripAdvisor Member ErDoc4Pets

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as our 3rd stop out of 4 in Costa Rica and I will say it was by far our least favorite.
The room - The view of the volcano was beautiful but you're not on the side where you can see lava night. The room was large and had modern ammenities like a flat screen TV but it seemed cold and not luxurious like I was expecting. The rock shower in the bathroom was interesting to look at but made such a mess in the bathroom we didn't use again. The "jacuzzi" outside our room was a jet tub and had to be fixed by the management. There were a few bugs (spiders mostly) due to the face that the doors do not reach the floor but I was fine with that - its a jungle after all.

The pool - nice with swim up bar although there were too few chairs and the pool bar wasn't always attended.

The restaurant - good breakfast (included with stay) but lunch/dinner was limited/overpriced/greasy.

Our main PROBLEM overall was the service - when we arrived we were told to ask for anything, yada yada. For instance, M=my husband took a fishing trip one day while I stayed to get some sun at the pool. He called the front desk to leave a message letting me know he'd be late....never got the message and of course I was worried. Once he came home, I asked the front desk about the message and they denied ever receiving it. We also used the free transport into town one night and the driver said he would pick us up at 9 pm. We waited until 9:30 but he never showed and when we called the hotel, they said they would arrange a taxi....only problem, we paid and they never offered to reimburse us.

Also, BEWARE when booking tours through the hotel....we paid much more than the going rate and when we discussed it with the front desk, they gave us a refund of $100 to make up the difference.

This hotel could be great but really needs to stand by their claim of being a luxury hotel. The pool bar should always be staffed, the restaurant should serve better food, and the front desk needs to learn a few things

As for what we did: Don't miss the Sky Trek/Tram Canopy Tour....it'll knock your sock off (don't go if you're afraid of heights). The horseback ride/hike to la fortuna waterfall is beautiful but strenuous.

Okay but wouldn't return.

by TripAdvisor Member Puravida59

This hotel is fairly new and does have a fabulous view of the Arenal Volcano. We stayed in the family suite (202) and although it was clean it had many "funky" features. Like most CR hotels the air conditioner blew right on your head at night. Fortunately in the master bedroom they had a curtain around the bed you could close to help with the air flow on your head. Beds were pretty comfortable and linens very nice. The bathroom was very large but very dim lighting at night so it was a strain if you wanted to see what you were doing in the mirror. They had a wonderful shower with the massage jets but the shower door was too low so the bathroom would get very wet since the jets would go over the door that was too low. Sink fixture was straight so again if you turned it on other than low you would get your clothes wet. Didn't use the jacuzzi tub so don't know if it was functional or not. People at this hotel were very nice and helpful. View was gorgeous. Breakfast was included and was good. Dinner was extremely expensive so we only ate there one night and the food was average. I think next time we will stay 2 nights and stay at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. We loved the volcano and ate lunch at the lodge. Incredible view of the lava and the food was good and very reasonable.

Fantastic Stay in Arenal

by TripAdvisor Member hollyjd

Customer service at the hotel was ridiculously impressive. We were met with refreshing towels and cold drinks upon our arrival. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Our room was extremely spacious and very clean. The beds were comfortable, and the view of the volcano was quite impressive when the clouds cleared. The buffet breakfast at the restaurant was very tasty with lots of variety. We even spent an afternoon in the restaurant playing cards. Very fun, and the staff didn't mind at all. This a great stay while visiting Arenal. There may be other hotels in the area that are more luxurious, but I thought this place was a great value and all four in our group thoroughly enjoyed our visit!

Great Place To Stay

by TripAdvisor Member KetStar

Okay, so my review is a little late and hence, may be sketchy, but I do remember that my girlfriend and I found this place to be perfect.

We actually went here when there was only ONE review - a good review, so we were taking a chance. When we finally arrived, after a 24 hour trip from London, it was exactly what we needed.

A buggy took us up to our immaculate room. The bathroom, with the waterfall shower (and normal shower) was brilliant and the view of the volcano just made this a fantastic place to be.

I found the service to be real good. Okay, so at times I asked for something and it wasn't quite how I thought it would be (i.e. when ordering food etc), but that's the price you pay for not being able to speak their language. Generally, everyone was really friendly and helpful.

The outdoor jacuzzi was great (apart from the spiders, but again, you go to a place like Costa Rica and expect it). We asked for ice for our champagne - nothing was a problem for them.

The trips we organised were great (if a little pricey) but we were picked up on time and dropped back wherever we wanted to go.

Went white-water rafting, zip-lining and visited the Tabacon Springs. All excellent fun. The casados at the white-water rafting was the best meal I had there!

Also went to the waterfall, whcih I thought was a great walk and sight.

A truly great place to stay and I wish we had been able to stay longer - though I think you would need to go elsewhere after around 5 days to avoid boredom.

Simply Gorgeous!

by TripAdvisor Member dmusca

We stayed here as the first part of our honeymoon after getting married at Bahia Del Sol in Potrero Bay Costa Rica (see my separate review on that). This hotel was absolutely amazing! My cousin and her husband came with us (yes we brought family on our honeymoon!) and we stayed here 2 nights. The rooms are like little bungalows with a private room on each side. We were all blown away by our rooms. We had the perfect view of Arenal, a huge room, a flat screen tv on the wall, very comfortable beds and not one but 2 showers! The shower is the whole reason I had booked us there. I saw on their website that they have rock waterfalls for showers and we loved it! There was also a another shower in the bathroom that had about 6 jets spraying at you. The one problem we did find is that the hot water didn't last a long time. If it was a normal shower I wouldn't have noticed because I would have been in and out quickly. Since this shower was so wonderful we tended to take long showers. We had to coordinate with my cousin staying in the room next to us but we could hear when her shower was on. The walls are somewhat thin but everything else on this property made up for it.

The grounds are gorgeous and the restaurant was surprisingly delicious! We had a steak dinner there with gorgonzola sauce and it's the best I have ever had. We also had a very hearty breakfast there. The front desk will pick you up in their golf cart if you don't want to make the short walk down to the restaurant or reception area. The staff was very friendly and kind. I definitely recommend this place and would love to stay there again. They seem to be a well kept secret right now. We were surprised by their reasonable prices considering how nice the rooms and views of Arenal are.

Would go back to CR just to stay here again!

by TripAdvisor Member vero_isa

Me and my family (group of 7) took a week vacation to CR past June. We stayed at this hotel during the 1st half of our trip. We all felt in love with this hotel. We didn't want to leave! It is a real paradise! From the moment we arrived, they received us with cocktails and wet towels to refresh our faces. From the entire week in CR, this was the part we all most loved. The hotel's hospitality, guest service, and accommodations were fantastic!! The room was super spacious and comfortable, the bed was a heaven, and the showers were an adventure. I love the showers!! I couldn't get enough of the waterfall shower in the room. I wish I could have one of those at home. :-) The room was impeccably clean. The pool's water temperature is adjusted to the outside weather so it's never too hot or too cold. The breakfast buffet was fantastic. One had the choice of having a standard american breakfast (omelet's, cereal, etc..) or could try some of the local authentic CR food. Yummy!! It was delicious! I gained a few lbs just by eating from their breakfast buffet. The hotel's property is very beautiful and quite. Full of gorgeous tropical flowers and birds. We slept like babies every day. The only noise you can here there are the ones from the birds, bees, wind, and occasional cows. The room attendants would make towel "origami" art everyday. They made hearts and animals made with towels and flowers from the hotel's garden. Just like the ones they do in the cruises. Super cute! The one negative thing about MP was its van services to La Fortuna. Their van schedule changed every day and they were never on time. One night we had to return from Fortuna on taxi because the driver never showed up. I guess the driver felt asleep?!?! :-) Other than that, the hotel was amazing and hope to go back soon. Wouldn't change this hotel not even for a Ritz Carlton. I told my husband that I would like to return to CR just to stay at MP for a whole week. We really enjoy it there!!

Comments