4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 85% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Royal Corin

Bummer Dude

by TripAdvisor Member RegularGuy007

I did research on La Fortuna and the Arenal volcano, as I do with all my trips and this place sounded great. I did not do enough research. While the Royal Corin was a very nice hotel it did not fit to local Costa Rican motif. This was a big city US hotel not something out in the jungle, or should I say rain forest. When we checked out of the Royal Corin we went to the Lost Iguana, Now that was a resort we ware looking for. Built into the side of a mountain with every bed facing the volcano (at least that was what I was told) our bed had a very nice view of the volcano. Food was fantastic, couples spa visit was GREAT, with only the sounds of the birds in the trees and water flowing over rocks in the river...total relaxation. Nothing bid city or fake at the Lost Iguana.

Ney York New York

by TripAdvisor Member sailingman13

I went to La Fortuna to see and live in the rain forest and see a volcano. I did neither at the Royal Corin. This hotel would be better placed in New York City than in Costa Rica. My bad, I was looking for local charm and beauty, I did not find it here. The place was empty, I think we were the only guests. If you want NYC I would go to NYC...Disappointed and never again. Oh well...

World class Contemporary & luxurious resort!

by TripAdvisor Member skedia

We stayed for 3 nights at Royal Corin and were amazed by this contemporary beauty! Everything abt the hotel was top notch, clean and sophisticated. We loved the royal treatment we received by the staff. The hotel staff is very pleasant and welcoming from the reception, bartenders, waiters to the cleaning crew! The rooms were cleaned spik and span everyday. We would occasionally leave a little bit of mud from our water shoes on the balcony while trying to dry them and the cleaning crew made sure every little piece of dust or dirt is wiped clean. Excellent!!!!

Fantastic Hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member troybr79

We stayed at the Royal Corin for the first 3 days of our honeymoon and wish we would've stayed longer. Every room has a balcony and faces the volcano. The staff were absolutely fantastic and almost all of them spoke English very well. The drinks and meals may seem a bit on the expensive side but it's about what you'd expect to pay for the same level of food/service anywhere else. We really looked forward to the breakfast buffet to see what new items we could try. Although the place was a bit empty (as they are new) we still had a great experience. The only downside (if I had to pick one) is that the pools are all hot springs. Don't get me wrong I loved the pools and spent a lot of time in them but when it's 85 degrees out, getting into a warm/hot pool just isn't refreshing.

The best of la Fortuna

by TripAdvisor Member BHM

This hotel was perfect for us in a very convenient location to get to the canopy tour, waterfall, hanging bridges and the town of La Fortuna. The hot springs on site are amazing and a huge bonus to have right there. The springs felt so good after a long day of hiking and rain forest excursions and they were never crowded.

Be sure to request the turn down service as the hotel provides fresh baked goods which were awesome – the chocolate éclairs were the best. The hotel also offers free internet and your rooms are well appointed with slippers, robes, big fluffy towels, tons of toiletries, mini bar, the best rain shower I have ever seen and the suites have a 2 person Jacuzzis with more jets than I can count that face the volcano. Suites are also huge and really nicely decorated.

I read all the trip advisor reviews before booking and I really don’t understand why people gave this hotel bad reviews because it was modern ?! – hello, if you want to feel like you are in the rain forest then book one of the lodges in the rain forest. Royal Corin is on the main road: the only paved road we saw during the trip in the Arenal/La Fortuna area. Frankly, I was quite happy Royal Corin was conveniently on the main road so we didn’t have to drive a rental car on rocks and dirt 3 miles into the rain forest to have the “Costa Rican lodging feel” and deal with lots of bugs in my room and be stuck there in evenings because no one wants to drive on those dirt roads after dark.

We hiked the water fall, the hanging bridges, and did the sky tram canopy tour during our stay so in the evenings we were happy to have a luxurious modern hotel. There was no street noise problem and the Royal Corin was close to everything.

FOOD
The breakfast included in the rate was traditional Costa Rican fair – scrambled eggs, plantains, fruit, cereals, sausages, cheese empanadas, rice and beans – it was just okay and I would say the same about the dinner we tried at the restaurant, however, I personally hated Don Rufinos and I did think the hotel restaurant was better. We came from Tamarindo where the restaurants were leaps and bounds better – really no comparison.

SPA
My husband and I went to the spa twice – we each had the hot stone massage first which we both thought was fantastic and then I had a vitamin c facial while he had a scrub/wrap combo. With the second services we both thought the products they used were of very high quality but they didn’t do much as far as massaging when each treatment was supposed to include about 20-25 minutes of massaging. One huge advantage of the off season was the spa did 40% off on the first treatment and then 50% on any additional treatments – which made it an excellent value and at that price a must do.

Customer service
All of the staff was friendly, helpful, and nice. They even helped us with babysitting, gave us directions for everything, and booked some of our excursions for us.

Pros: customer service, spa, volcano views, hot springs ( 8 different ones!), without a doubt the most luxurious rooms in La Fortuna, great location, excellent value ( we got an awesome rate via internet), and super clean – no bugs.

Cons: none really except we weren’t thrilled with the restaurant.

Great hotel with equally great view

by TripAdvisor Member JustMeBubby

Service was great, room was spotless and view was fantastic! Located close to town yet far enough away so that is was quiet. All rooms have a great view of the jungle side of the volcano....very beautiful. The complimentary breakfast was very good. The thermal pools were welcomed after our many long hikes (side note: for the adventerous people who will read this, the hike up the Cerro Chato volcano was challenging but well worth it. My wife and I are in good shape and it took us 3 hours to climb and descend. Some couples took over 5 hours.). Only complaint is the quality for the price of their restaurant food. Go into town and eat at Don Ruffino's or Las Brasitas instead. For a great view of the Volcano (erupting side as of 04/2009) try Linda Vista. My wife LOVED the spa.

Complete Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member julieanb

My husband and I just got back from the Hotel Corin and couldn't stop raving about it. Although the last few posters were disapointed by the "feel" of the hotel, we thought it was very cool. The staff was very accomidating and helpful. In fact, we had an incident with our safe not opening and they made sure to resolve the issue as quickly as possible while also compensating us for the problem.
The rooms are spacious and spotless with each of them having a balcony that overlooks the volcano. The hot springs are perfect and relaxing and the swim up bar was a major treat. My husband and I ate dinner there a few nights and the food and atmosphere were awesome.
One of the best parts of the hotel is the free breakfast. We ate the buffet every morning and were stuffed. The food was delicious and each morning there were new treats for us to try.
This is definitely a 4 star hotel with a 3 star price tag (although not sure how long that will last once the word gets out!!!).

Beautiful, Class A+ and very accommodating!

by TripAdvisor Member themurrs

This hotel is the whole package: Beautifully spacious rooms, fantastic service, gorgeous pools and unpretentious luxury throughout! Highly recommend this hotel.

This Hotel is Gorgeous!!!!The Best Staff Ever!!!

by TripAdvisor Member discoqueen49

Me and my girlfriends went to this hotel for a three night stay and it was simply wonderful. We stay in a luxurious suite that was huge. The hotel is close to the city and many local reastaurants. Also, close to a lot of local activities. The staff was very heplful and kind. This hotel is very modern, and the Spa services are wonderful. I would go again in a minute. I know the specials won't last long at this hotel. It is definitely 5 stars!!!!

Modern, stylish hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ElizabethF

This is a great hotel with very luxurious rooms and bathrooms. We had a suite with an enormous bathroom plus a jacuzzi with in built tv in the bedroom. There were two balconies with comfortable, modern sunbeds and chairs. The rooms are extremely spacious with plenty of seating, storage and a very large, comfortable bed. We couldn't fault it.
There a several spring pools and sun terrace with plenty of space. The only downside is the location. Although you have a great view of the volcano, it is not on the lava side. Also, you are about 2 km away from the main town along a busy road, so it's not really convenient for other restaurants. Taxis aren't as cheap as you might hope.
However, it's a great place to stay for a few nights.

view from our hotel room at lost iguanaview from our hotel room at lost iguana

Map of the areaMap of the area

View of a cloudy Arenal VolcanoView of a cloudy Arenal Volcano

Arnela, clear day, nah doesn't existArnela, clear day, nah doesn't exist

Are the Hot Springs safe?

by cazzmania

OK, maybe I'm being paranoid, but I read about leptospirosis being a problem in Costa Rica. Does anyone know if you can get it by swimming in the hot springs? Thanks!

by leics

Catching leptospirosis is a possibility from any water/soil/vegetation anywhere where infected animals have urinated. In the UK and elsewhere in the world.

I have no personal experience of hot springs (or of Costa Rica, come to that) but I don't think the temperature of those one can bathe in would be sufficient to kill the bacterium. The chemical composition of the water might, depending on its source.

You should cover an open wounds with waterproof plasters before entering the water (a good idea anyway).

But I do not think you need to be over-concerned about leptospirosis. You may already have bathed many times in rivers/pools etc where it has been a possibility. It is a 'global condition'.

by cazzmania

Thank you very much! That helps.

by leics

Glad to hear it. Enjoy your dip! :-)

by cazzmania

Sure...that makes sense. Thank you! We'll have fun no matter what! Ya gotta live a little, right?!

Comments