Arenal, 3.9 km from Palma Highway 142, , Costa Rica
The Springs Resort and Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

More about The Springs Resort & Spa

Take a bath in hot springs

by Nansen

Costa Rica´s central ridge is formed by several volcanoes, some of them active, like the famous and unique Arenal, where you can see the lava form the hotel room falling.

There also numerous hot springs, specially in Rincón la Vieja and Arenal. In some of them have been built some pools (wtih hot warm and cold water), so you can take bath in the middle of the rain forest.

AMAZING

by TripAdvisor Member lala7756

We started our trip here on Jan 13 and stayed for 4 nights, we were originally supposed to be staying at the Peace Lodge, where we were to be married, but due to the unfortunate earthquake, our reservations were transferred to the springs (same owners) at the same cost.
I can't tell you how much we LOVED our stay here. A large resort that will be offering 200 rooms when completed. As of now only 20 rooms are open (more of what I prefer). What else could we ask for on our honeymmon, many many beautiful spring pools to choose from, and we never had to share a pool with other guests unless we wanted too. Many times we has ALL of the pools to ourselves!!Even when tour buses arrive there was still more than plenty of space and privacy.
Sometimes we would be the only ones at breakfast and we always ate alone in the tree top grill, Grisela is the waitress, and shes so nice. Not everyone speaks english great, but know most basics and there is always some one there that does speak english. All the service people were great and efficient, in the resteraunts and the bars (Randall), and the friendly security guy at the gate. We loved the tree top resteraunt, the food is great and inexpensive,we always ate the buffet in the morning, and also ate the buffet for dinner on occassion which was good as well. We didn't eat in the glass wall resteraunt, or the sushi bar, which looked very popular.
We basically stayed in our bathing suits the majority of our stay enjoying the pools!
Wildlife: We saw many birds on our balcony, coatis on the road, and at the hanging bridges. The hanging bridges was one of the highlights of our trip, where we saw howler monkeys near the last hanging bridge in the high tree tops.
Believe it or not we saw a wildcat from our balcony. At first I heard this loud growl/hiss sound(a sound I've never heard before-not uncommon in costa rica), and then we heard a house cat meowing. The house cat came running out the bush and I saw something leap throught the bush after it--we were joking, saying a tigre was going to eat the kitty cat. After a couple of minutes the wild cat lept out of the bush after the house cat, saw us, looked at us, and ran back to the bush. A little later, the house cat laid in front of our balcony looking at us, like telling us thanks for saving him. Not sure what kind it was, I think it was a baby or female puma, but my husband seems to think it was something else. Either way, it was hard to leave the balcony that night!
The room is one of the nicest I have ever stayed in, jacuzzi tub, hammocks on the balcony. We went to manuel antonio (see arenas del mar hotel review)the 2nd half of the trip and later regretted not buying things in the hotel gift shop-prices are reasonable, and at the souveneir shop in La fortuna called "souveneirs here" or something like that, where I bought a hammock like on the balcony for $18. The guy in the store is awesome and will give you mucho info about costa rica, ticos, and the area in general.

Amazing

by TripAdvisor Member gktmd2

We stumbled across this resort and had to stay a night.
The property is just beautiful with native wood and tile construction., Its location and view are unsurpassed.

The employees are helpful. It is what I would call a destination resort because once here it is hard to leave. We had already seen most of Arenal so that was perfect for us.

The food is fantastic if a bit expensive They have plans for a casino and animal sanctuary apparently. The springs on the resort are everywhere with lots of hidden options to choose from. The workout area is first class which is a plus for me because I could not find a hotel in Costa Rca that had that.

The beds were th ost comfortable and the bathrooms the best I have ever seen in a hotel. THe balconies have great views and hammocks.....nice touch.

This place will get busy once the word is out and should be on all the travel magazines top hotel lists. IT is a must see if it is in your price range.

DEFINITELY the best part of our trip to Costa Rica!

by TripAdvisor Member izfo

We didn't actually stay here, but my boyfriend and another couple got the $40 2-Day Pass and stayed at a cheap hotel nearby. After checking in at the other place, we found out that considering how cheap the two day pass at The Springs was, staying the night there would have cost only $50 more than what we paid for the 4 passes plus accommodation at the other place. This place may sound expensive compared to other accommodation rates nearby, but it really isn't.

The place is absolutely beautiful and sooooooo much better than Tabacon (which is crowded because it's so popular). I heard Tabacon was beautiful, but condering it is more than 4 times more expensive... no way. I'm so glad we chose The Springs.

The Springs Resort and Spa is very new and looks it. The decor throughout is gorgeous. Service is awesome. And because all the tourists are either squished into a tiny hot spring pool with 15 other people at Tabacon, or at another place in fake, un-natural looking hot springs that are tiled and look just like a tiny pool, we had the whole resort all to ourselves. Because the place is so huge, we saw other people very briefly. ... It was very private.

The hot springs aren't really hot, they're just super warm. But don't let this scare you, it is really warm. there are warm pools, cooler pools, and freezing cold pools too. It was pretty fun going back and forth between the coldest and warmest pool.

Drinks are between $6 and $10 US (same as the other hot springs places). The food is pricey too. We had some food at the swim-up bar. Our friends split a burger and fries (I forget the price) and I had Ginger Rolls (similar to sushi) for $14 US. It was delicious, and the presentation was really nice too. Portion size was okay.

You definitely need a 4x4 SUV to get in and around the Arenal and Monteverde area, FYI. The roads are steep, curvy, and very bumpy.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. Check out my photos.

Terrific!

by TripAdvisor Member SKTrips

This is the first review I've written, and I'm doing it because this hotel was so great. It's brand new (opened about Aug. '08).
The most popular hotel in Arenal is the Tabacon, which is also supposed to be terrific, but this hotel matches it. Although the road leading to it is still unpaved, that was part of the adventure and charm of it. The Springs sits alone, surrounded by nature and overlooking the Arenal volcano. Although right now they only have 20 rooms, all of them have great balconies facing the volcano. We stayed in the family suite. My husband travels to some of the best hotels, and even he was impressed by the room. We slept downstairs while my 3 kids were in the loft upstairs. The room was large with wood walls and ceiling, and large windows.
The hotel itself had beautiful hotsprings as well as a swim-up bar, and supposedly they're adding 24 more hotsprings. Across the path are more hotsprings with a great slide. The grounds are beautiful. There is a lot of construction going on, but we didn't even notice - it's not in the main area.
The staff was so helpful and nice, and quick to get you whatever you needed. They have several restaurants - not much American food, which was a little hard with my picky kids, but would be fine for most people. Not much open at night for food, but I'm sure as they open more rooms, they'll be more available.
We stayed here 2 days and then went south to the Marriott in Los Suenos. That was also nice, but didn't compare to this beautiful new resort. Would definitely recommend it!!

I thought I died and went to heaven

by TripAdvisor Member travelbigbunny

OH MY GOODNESS

This is definitely the BEST hotel I have ever stayed it in my life (and I have stayed at some lovely hotels across the world). There were 4 adults and 2 young children in our group, stayed in Jan 09. Heard about the place from friends who had also stayed there.

To get there, you do have to make your way in a taxi or your own car up this bumpy road. We were like, where the heck are we going? Then after some time, you get to a beautiful driveway, which is actually the back of the hotel. One of the staff there greeted us and took us on a tour of the hotel, while other guys handled our luggage. They gave us this wonderful juice drink and commenced their tour.

The Springs is very new and just opened about 5-6 mos ago. Currently, some areas are still under construction, but don't let that deter you - it is still incredibly gorgeous, and all the amenities are still available. The hotel is situated in the mountains, and there are about 5 floors. So when you arrive, you are more or less on the highest floor, and to get to the other floors, you walk downstairs (or can take the elevator). The first floor is lobby/reception. There are floors with spa/fitness room, restaurants/bar, pool area. The spa is very nice/fitness room is large for a hotel. There is a "nice" restaurant, a "fast food" type restaurant, a sushi bar, and a buffet restaurant. These are all reasonably priced ($12 for 8 sushi rolls, $10 for breakfast buffet, which isn't a HUGE buffet, but very very good). The pool area is just gorgeous with a wet bar and several small pools of varying temperatures, incl hot springs. The Perdido springs (Lost springs) were still being constructed, though available for use if we wanted, though it was a bit of a trek to get there. A casino is also being constructed.

We stayed in their family suite, which is beautiful. Natural hard wood everywhere, 2 bathrooms, jacuzzi in the bathroom (and I think in every room here, there is a jacuzzi, but don't quote me on that). Exceptionally modern amenities - think, the Four Seasons in the U.S. Our suite had 2 floors with stairs connecting the 2. Both floors had large plasma screens and DVD players (front desk has a fairly large collection of DVDs and TV serials to choose from). The TV has both English and Spanish channels, and there is a good amount of programming to choose from, it you like to lounge and watch TV on your vacations. There was a veranda outside with 2 hammocks and some very comfy chairs which we took advantage of. We had 2 small children, and they had an extra bed already made for us (for the kids) to sleep in. The view from the room is the Arenal volcano directly in front of you - gorgeous!

The staff everywhere in the hotel was exceptionally friendly and really really helpful. Felt they really bent over backwards to help us book trips, hotels in the next town we were staying in, etc. When we decided to stay an extra night (truly we thought we should just stay there throughout our Costa Rica trip), the desk gave us a couple of extra FREE 50 minute massages at their spa.

Downsides? 1) It is expensive for Costa Rican standards to be sure. For 2 people, it will probably be $250-300/night, but honestly, the same hotel in the U.S. would be over $800/night. 2) Bumpy and kind of long road getting to the hotel - not really near the main town of La Fortuna. 3) Some areas still being constructed, so it is not FULLY up to speed yet. For instance, elevator was not working 2 days we were there, but it didn't bother us much since everything else was so great about the place. 4) If you like crowded happening hotels, this will be like that in the future, but right now it is still young and at times, felt a little dead. However, at the end of our stay there, seemed to be more people there and more activity. 5) They're not hooked up with all the activities you can do in the area, like ziplining, float tours, hiking trips, etc, but they are more than willing to help you book whatever you want if you have a guide book or know what you want to do/what compant you want to do it with, etc.

I would go back to Costa Rica just to stay at this hotel. Everyone else in my group felt the same way about the place, and we were all sad to leave.

DO NOT DEPRIVE YOURSELF AND STAY AT THE SPRINGS. Really ideal for honeymooners/couples, but great for anyone. If it seems to expensive for you, at least stay a day or two - YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! ENJOY!

Stunning Resort, Awesome Springs!!

by TripAdvisor Member dmladd

This was our second trip to Costa Rica. We couldn't wait to come back. This time, we had the joy of bringing our 19 month old son, and my husbands parents with us. We had previously stayed at Peace Lodge, and had taken a day trip to Tobacon in 2006. We were so in love with Peace Lodge we couldn't wait to see the owners new resort here in Arenal. It is breath taking in every way. Beauty surrounds you everywhere. I prefer the hot springs much more here than at Tobacon. We felt as if we stumbled on a little private oasis. My husband and I enjoyed our alone time as a couple, but it was also appropriate for families and our young son. I also like the fact that it didn't feel like a community pool. I personally appreciated the fact that I didn't get black stuff in all the wrong places like I did at Tobacon! Almost 4 months later we are still talking about our room and view of the volcano from it. There is no better way to enjoy the volcano than from one of the Springs balcony hammocks! We were fortunate to see the top of the volcano all three days we were there. The view from the restaurant where we had dinner was so beautiful it looked fake. We can't wait to come back. We stayed in four different places during our stay in Costa Rica this time, and my in- laws said that they would come back to Costa RIca just to stay at The Springs Resort. I have to agree, but perhaps only with my husband next time!! By the way, if you had plans to visit Peace Lodge, and had to change plans due to the tragic earthquake last month, you should definitely make plans to come here. You will not leave disappointed!

Impressive is an understatement

by TripAdvisor Member davidandrose1

I had read reviews about The Springs and was impressed by the comments and photos on their website. We had only 1 night after staying in the Papagayo area, and really wanted to see and hear Arenal acting up at night. We drove up to the hotel without a reservation, and with some vacancies we were able to strike a discount that I was unable to accomplish on-line beforehand. The upper portion of the volcano was enshrouded in clouds, but was an impressive sight from every vantage point of the hotel.

Once you've gotten over the rough ride from the packed-rock 4km road to the hotel, all else fades to comfort and luxury. While our bags were being driven down to our room, we were escorted on a leisurely 20 minute walk around the property. I can't believe that the 5 story main building only supports 20 rooms today; with 4 or 5 restaurants, a spa, several gift shops and 18 or 21 thermal pools, there's lots of open space until they develop into the planned 180-200 rooms. The construction going on at present in no way interferes with your stay.

Rooms are over-the-top luxurious, with two hammocks overlooking the volcano (when visible), well-appointed bathroom, and gorgeous furnishings made on-site. When I asked how many employees were at the hotel, I was told that there are 25 (or 35?) for guests, plus another 300 fabricating everything from concrete, to bedposts, to iron wall-sconces. This led to very attentive service, and the various pools and springs, though none particularly hot (105 is the maintained temp) provide lots of intimate hideaways. Several bars buried in lush foliage away from the pools make it easy for a refreshment, and they're kept lit until 3am from what I understand. The food I found reasonably-priced for a resort of this calibre; a complete dinner for the two of us including desert was $95 with tax and service, but before added tip. We travel with our own wine, and had appropriate stemware with no corkage fees. The food was also more spiced/authentic than we found at two other Costa Rican resorts, where we felt the flavors might have been intentionally dumbed-down to better suit various tastes.

My only regret about our stay was that we didn't have the time to stay longer. Coming from the Four Seasons, we were excited to see the lush rainforest we expected to see in Costa Rica (the papagayo area was more like high-desert during the dry season) and truly enjoyed the hotel and staff. A must stay.

Unbelievable!

by TripAdvisor Member marrowspoonNiagara

Our three week vacation in Costa Rica was all planned, except we didn't have a hotel booked for our visit to Arenal. After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor I knew that we had to check out this hotel, even if we couldn't afford to stay there. We decided to just 'show-up' and take our chances. Caution - there is another hotel nearby called the Arenal Springs Hotel - don't get them confused they are two totally different places. We realized we were in the wrong place when they told us they did not have a Sushi bar or hot springs. The Springs is up a 3.9 km dirt road - It is really a rough ride up to the hotel, but worth every bump. The volcano was covered with clouds when we arrived at the hotel. The reception staff were really nice and they were very happy to tell us that they did have a few rooms available. They gave us a substantial discount on the advertised rate and threw in 2 free spa treatments as an additional incentive. They gave us a tour of the hotel The cloud cover had lifted from the volcano and the hotel has a spectacular view of the volcano. After that, they could have put me in a broom closet and I would have been happy. The room was spectcular! Hammocks, hugh flat screen TV, surround sound, bathroom disguised as a spa, a mini-bar that had nothing 'mini' about it - as it contained a wine rack with 8 full sized bottles of wine. We had a perfect view of the volcano! There are 17 different pools with different temperatures - one with a water slide. Swim-up bar and sushi bar. Hugh gym with all the best equipment. Food was less spectacular that the rest of the package, but not a big disappointment. Even if you are not staying here the day pass is a good value.

Spectacular

by TripAdvisor Member bdkester

There are plenty of other reviews that note what is excellent about this place—the rooms, the property, the spring, etc. and they are all correct. This place is RIDICULOUSLY GREAT and is certainly the best place my wife and I have every stayed at (Four Seasons, Ritz, etc. included).

What I thought set The Spring apart is that the staff is AWESOME and on track to provide a Ritz-like "whatever it takes" experience. Manfred the Guest Services Manager in particular basically took it upon himself to make our stay very personalized. We got a morning tour of the entire property which stretches all the way down the mountain to the Arenal River. This included a visit to the not-yet-opened wild cat pen—which was unforgettable—and some info about what the overall resort will look like in the coming years. They are putting casitas, houses and other accommodations all the way from the main lodge up top to the bottom. On our "jungle hike" back up the hill, we saw toucans, red frogs and the hot spring plumbing that feeds the pools up above.

Also, we made friends with Rollando, who tends to work the Perdido Springs bar and enjoyed each of our happy hour evenings with him in their insane network of pools (with a slide!) that are off to the side of the main lodge.

As others have noted, the ongoing construction is NOT AN ISSUE, we never heard it from our wonderful room. Also, for those worried about tours and things to do in the surrounding area, the front desk will always take care of it without you having to think too much.

This was our honeymoon and quite honestly, we can't imagine a better place in the world we could have gone.

Comments