Four Seasons Costa Rica

See Amenities

Green Season a Go-Go! Isolated Western Relaxation

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 20, 2011

Beautiful, isolated relaxation coupled with cookie-cutter "safe" ecotourism. Visited this resort for my honeymoon 8/8/11-8/15/11, at the beginning of Costa Rica's "Green" (Rainy) Season.

On the Service: This hotel's service was IMPECCABLE!!! Everyone was so nice and friendly and the ratio of employees to visitors was perfect - enough people on hand to always feel attentive, and everyone was always hard at work unlike some places where you feel like you are interrupting the staff to ask for something. Also loved how almost all of the staff were very knowledgeable locals (about the hotel, the animal life, and the locale). The attention to detail is insane...the maids spent 45 minutes cleaning our rooms (we did not trash the place) and room service always arrived within 25 mins and the attendants prepared a gorgeous table setting on our private balcony. Also was very interesting that none of the staff would accept tips (though the drivers and guides do!)

On the Rooms: BEAUTIFUL! Very classy and none of that cheesy tiki type stuff. The rooms were our favorite part and very romantic. They are huge, nicely decorated, extremely clean, and very private - we could never hear anyone else on our private balcony. We were upgraded for free to a second floor room and even with the doors to the patio shut we could still hear the waves crashing into the beach at all times of the day...so amazing!

On the Gounds: So beautiful and clean! Two gorgeous beaches flank the pool with the most amazing sunsets, aquamarine clean waters. Coral, hermit crabs, and volcanic rocks wash up on the beach and because we went in a slower season we always found great spots to layout. Attendants will serve food and drink, sunscreen, free waters, etc...even laying out towels on your chairs! So nice.

On the Adventures/Tours:
Definitely partake of the FREE golf course tour! The course is absolutely beautiful and so refreshing to drive through - there's also a lot of animal life to be spotted. We saw two different kinds of monkeys, iguanas, and coatis. It's a great close mini adventure.
One morning we went on the hotel's snorkeling catamaran trip. I've snorkeled in Jamaica, Cancun, and Puerto Vallarta and in comparison, the underwater views are not nearly as beautiful, though the waters are such a beautiful turquoise blue. Our highlight was having dolphins swim right up to our boat and along with us. The catamaran ride was a lovely and peaceful escape from hotel life and the guides were very nice and accomodating - much more so than the other places I've been to. The group was a great size too, pretty small. I'd definitely recommend doing this, though don't have high expectations for the underwater viewing.
We wanted to go to a cloud forest, but decided to book a private tour through the concierge to Monteverde because when I asked about the tour location of the cloud forest trip advertised through the hotel as part of their Green Season Activities, I hadn't heard of the place at all and my Fodor's book had no mention of it. Took that as a bad sign so booked a trip to Monteverde, which was highly rated in everything I read. The trip was long, pricey, and didn't include as much as I'd like considering the trek and price, but it was an unforgettable experience and we were overall quite satisfied. The hotel arranged for a private guide through Swiss Travel and an SUV to drive us the 3+ hours there (and back). Our guide was very kind and had an incredible depth of knowledge on the flora and fauna of the region, pointing out a zillion little creatures and plants that we would have overlooked on our own as the park is so overwhelming in it's beauty and the size of the plants. He slowly walked us through the 8 hanging bridges and 2+ mile hike, pointing out things like hummingbird nests, army ants, dung beetles, tree species, monkeys, etc. The lunch at the park was pretty crappy so I'd recommend either skipping it or asking the hotel to put together a lunch box for you. Our guide even stopped along the road on the way back to show me a sloth he had seen in a tree the week before, as he knew I really wanted to find one, so sweet!! The bridges are AWESOME, but if you make the trek for this trip I'd also sign up for the zip lines or at least be sure to check out the exhibits they have on hand before heading back. Also a great way to see the REAL Costa Rica along the way.
We booked a trip through the hotel to Rincon de la Vieja Park and it was very similar to monteverde experience guide-wise, only this time we were with another couple. The place was neat, but I was hoping that we'd be able to actually play in the mud baths and do some mud spa stuff as I'd seen in my guidebook - you don't get those kind of experiences through the Four Seasons tour packages, we learned. That's what I mean when I say "cookie cutter" - they are very safe and informative, but lack the playful adventure element you'd find had you arranged something on your own. In the end, we didn't mind as we had an educational experience and were submerged in such natural beauty, but we did go away with that feeling that we didn't get all that we wanted out of it. The fumaroles and bubbling mud are very interesting, but if you had to pick between something like the cloud forest, go with it as it's much more breathtaking and "jungle-y".

About the Green Season: Though I was warned through many reviews that travel in the country at this time would be disappointing, unpredictable, and a nuisance, this was far from my experience and I would actually highly recommend travel in the Guanacaste area around this time! We traveled throughout the Guanacaste region, and even to Monteverde Cloud Forest (a 3.5 hour drive one-way from the hotel) and EVERYTHING was the most vibrant, beautiful, breathtaking GREEN!!! Our guides told us that in the more popular dry season, tourists are greeted with a brown dried northern country similar to TX which in comparison would be incredibly disappointing! It only rained a couple of afternoons very late into the afternoon, and the rooms are SO BEAUTIFUL that we had no complaints about holing up on our fabulous (giant!) porch listening to the jungle rains for a few hours. I was so concerned about the rain that I even spoke with the concierge before our trip, who advised me that we would need to wear insect repellent - but there was seriously no extra lengths we had to go to other than sitting on a porch a few hours a couple of days.

Unique Quality: Beautiful facilities, exquisite and private rooms, excellent service, decent to great food - though stay away from Congo's churrascaria (well done to the max), no night life at the hotel, hotel isolated on a beautiful tropical peninsula, ultimate relaxation, lovely pristine natural beaches, lots of animal life at the hotel, shallow pools meant only for sunbathing, no worries at all as everything is completely taken care of for you, educational and informative tours though lacking the adventure element.

Four Seasons Costa Rica

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Liberia Travel Forum

Need advice about Liberia, Costa Rica? Visit the Travel Forum for Liberia and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Liberia hotel reviews

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Liberia
Bus from Liberia to Nicaragua
Transportation
Bus to Nicaragua or anywhere else
Cesar Rocks!!!
Ricardo has experience
Fly into Liberia
Liberia International Airport
Car Rental
Transportation
Fear the 24-hour stand...
Restaurants