Peninsula Papagayo, Liberia, Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Green Season a Go-Go! Isolated Western Relaxation

Beautiful, isolated relaxation coupled with cookie-cutter "safe" ecotourism. Visited this resort for my honeymoon 8/8/11-8/15/11, at the beginning of Costa Rica's "Green" (Rainy) Season.

On the Service: This hotel's service was IMPECCABLE!!! Everyone was so nice and friendly and the ratio of employees to visitors was perfect - enough people on hand to always feel attentive, and everyone was always hard at work unlike some places where you feel like you are interrupting the staff to ask for something. Also loved how almost all of the staff were very knowledgeable locals (about the hotel, the animal life, and the locale). The attention to detail is insane...the maids spent 45 minutes cleaning our rooms (we did not trash the place) and room service always arrived within 25 mins and the attendants prepared a gorgeous table setting on our private balcony. Also was very interesting that none of the staff would accept tips (though the drivers and guides do!)

On the Rooms: BEAUTIFUL! Very classy and none of that cheesy tiki type stuff. The rooms were our favorite part and very romantic. They are huge, nicely decorated, extremely clean, and very private - we could never hear anyone else on our private balcony. We were upgraded for free to a second floor room and even with the doors to the patio shut we could still hear the waves crashing into the beach at all times of the day...so amazing!

On the Gounds: So beautiful and clean! Two gorgeous beaches flank the pool with the most amazing sunsets, aquamarine clean waters. Coral, hermit crabs, and volcanic rocks wash up on the beach and because we went in a slower season we always found great spots to layout. Attendants will serve food and drink, sunscreen, free waters, etc...even laying out towels on your chairs! So nice.

On the Adventures/Tours:
    Definitely partake of the FREE golf course tour! The course is absolutely beautiful and so refreshing to drive through - there's also a lot of animal life to be spotted. We saw two different kinds of monkeys, iguanas, and coatis. It's a great close mini adventure.
    One morning we went on the hotel's snorkeling catamaran trip. I've snorkeled in Jamaica, Cancun, and Puerto Vallarta and in comparison, the underwater views are not nearly as beautiful, though the waters are such a beautiful turquoise blue. Our highlight was having dolphins swim right up to our boat and along with us. The catamaran ride was a lovely and peaceful escape from hotel life and the guides were very nice and accomodating - much more so than the other places I've been to. The group was a great size too, pretty small. I'd definitely recommend doing this, though don't have high expectations for the underwater viewing.
    We wanted to go to a cloud forest, but decided to book a private tour through the concierge to Monteverde because when I asked about the tour location of the cloud forest trip advertised through the hotel as part of their Green Season Activities, I hadn't heard of the place at all and my Fodor's book had no mention of it. Took that as a bad sign so booked a trip to Monteverde, which was highly rated in everything I read. The trip was long, pricey, and didn't include as much as I'd like considering the trek and price, but it was an unforgettable experience and we were overall quite satisfied. The hotel arranged for a private guide through Swiss Travel and an SUV to drive us the 3+ hours there (and back). Our guide was very kind and had an incredible depth of knowledge on the flora and fauna of the region, pointing out a zillion little creatures and plants that we would have overlooked on our own as the park is so overwhelming in it's beauty and the size of the plants. He slowly walked us through the 8 hanging bridges and 2+ mile hike, pointing out things like hummingbird nests, army ants, dung beetles, tree species, monkeys, etc. The lunch at the park was pretty crappy so I'd recommend either skipping it or asking the hotel to put together a lunch box for you. Our guide even stopped along the road on the way back to show me a sloth he had seen in a tree the week before, as he knew I really wanted to find one, so sweet!! The bridges are AWESOME, but if you make the trek for this trip I'd also sign up for the zip lines or at least be sure to check out the exhibits they have on hand before heading back. Also a great way to see the REAL Costa Rica along the way.
    We booked a trip through the hotel to Rincon de la Vieja Park and it was very similar to monteverde experience guide-wise, only this time we were with another couple. The place was neat, but I was hoping that we'd be able to actually play in the mud baths and do some mud spa stuff as I'd seen in my guidebook - you don't get those kind of experiences through the Four Seasons tour packages, we learned. That's what I mean when I say "cookie cutter" - they are very safe and informative, but lack the playful adventure element you'd find had you arranged something on your own. In the end, we didn't mind as we had an educational experience and were submerged in such natural beauty, but we did go away with that feeling that we didn't get all that we wanted out of it. The fumaroles and bubbling mud are very interesting, but if you had to pick between something like the cloud forest, go with it as it's much more breathtaking and "jungle-y".

About the Green Season: Though I was warned through many reviews that travel in the country at this time would be disappointing, unpredictable, and a nuisance, this was far from my experience and I would actually highly recommend travel in the Guanacaste area around this time! We traveled throughout the Guanacaste region, and even to Monteverde Cloud Forest (a 3.5 hour drive one-way from the hotel) and EVERYTHING was the most vibrant, beautiful, breathtaking GREEN!!! Our guides told us that in the more popular dry season, tourists are greeted with a brown dried northern country similar to TX which in comparison would be incredibly disappointing! It only rained a couple of afternoons very late into the afternoon, and the rooms are SO BEAUTIFUL that we had no complaints about holing up on our fabulous (giant!) porch listening to the jungle rains for a few hours. I was so concerned about the rain that I even spoke with the concierge before our trip, who advised me that we would need to wear insect repellent - but there was seriously no extra lengths we had to go to other than sitting on a porch a few hours a couple of days.

Unique Quality: Beautiful facilities, exquisite and private rooms, excellent service, decent to great food - though stay away from Congo's churrascaria (well done to the max), no night life at the hotel, hotel isolated on a beautiful tropical peninsula, ultimate relaxation, lovely pristine natural beaches, lots of animal life at the hotel, shallow pools meant only for sunbathing, no worries at all as everything is completely taken care of for you, educational and informative tours though lacking the adventure element.

More about Four Seasons Costa Rica

The Four Seasons Resort on Peninsula Papagayo

by aparker

I highly recommend Four Seasons Costa Rica. Everything is wonderful about it!!!
The only downfall is hardly any civilization surrounds it, so we ate almost every meal at the hotel. I would have liked to have the option of eating out a couple of nights. I think the closest town is 45 min.-1 hour away.
The highlights of our trip: canopying through the trees, the sunset sailboat trip, the howler monkeys, and the golf course is incredibly beautiful.

Don't go in the months of July-August.......The weather was almost unbearably hot and humid, and I'm from Texas!

Nature's Best Hotel - Peninsula Papagayo, C.R.

by GirlTravel about Four Seasons Resort

The hotel was fabulous. There was wildlife everywhere, lizards, monkeys, wild pigs, beautiful birds, and skunkie like things, to name a few. The rooms were spectacular and tucked into the mountainside with environmentally sound construction. Food, swimming, spa and hiking we awesome. There was a trail with over 1000 steps around the hotel constructed in the most natural way. Hiking up the steps was a great treat everyday. There is so much wildlife -- go early in the morning (around 6am) to see the most wildlife. Free windsurfing and kayaking. Kayaking was superb

5 Star Perfection

by kbaum about 4 Seasons Resort, Peninsula Papagayo

5 Star everything. The rooms were 5 star resort decorated. 5 star view of the beach and Ocean. 5 star eateries. 5 star bar. 5 star staff. 5 star golf.

I can't say one bad thing about this place. We ate one night at the hotels Brazilian buffet. There had to be 20 different meats they would pass by with on a skewer for you to chose from. My waitress asked how everything was and we told her everything was great. I did suggest that there was one thing not on the menu I would have liked; scallops. She told me to hold on, and she would be right back. 10 minutes later, she brings me a plate full of superbly prepared scallops!

This is how it is at this resort. She went over to the other restaurant and got me scallops, brought them to the chef running the buffet, and they cooked them just for me! Wow.

Unexpected service and complete satisfaction. I have never experienced anything like that before in my life; and my guess is will only get that type of service at a 4 Seasons again!

Costa Ricas Best Hotel

by bmw10111 about Four Seasons Peninsula Papagayo

I stayed here for a little over a week. I am a big fan of the Four Seasons chain, and try to visit new properties as they open. This property has been open for about eleven months. The property is one of the most beautiful that I have ever visited. The hotel is located on Papagayo Peninsula. The hotel is virtually surrounded by ocean. The views are spectacular.

The thing that I did not like about this place was that once you are there, it is as if you are at an adult camp. The hotel sort of keeps you captive. There is a full list of "hotel approved" activities. We were unable to go along with this plan. We got out and did all kinds of unapproved activities, like renting some 4x4 ATVs and going through the jungle. We also rented a local fishing boat for the day. 1/2 the price of the hotel vendor. As I am a frequent guest of the Four Seasons, we were upgraded to a beautiful 3 bedroom 3 1/2 bath suite. The hotel also has properties for sale, the suite we were in was one of these properties. It was a wonderful suite, with a full kitchen, 4 TVs with DVDS, an office area with high speed internet, and a full size washer and dryer.

The hotel has a wonderful free form pool. There is also a large public hot tub.

The country here is so beautiful and untouched. Seems like just thousands of miles of jungle.

Michael Jordon has a house here. I really can't say where but.... It's on the top of the hill above the pool. : )

Best vacation ever!

by TripAdvisor Member ogold80075

We stayed in 4 seasons costa rica from 5/21-5/27/05.
This was clearly the best vacation my wife and i have ever had.
We paid for a second floor room but were upgraded to the third floor.
We had great view from the bay side. I would recommend requesting the bay side over the ocean, as I believe they have better views.

The restaurants are all great.
We never do activities but ended up doing all of them.
The hike was great and so was the cooking class.
If you work out the fitness center is amazing and the service, even there, is great.

I had a massage at the spa, although expensive, well worth it.

Over the top!

We just got back from the Four Seasons in Costa Rica and it was wonderful. The service is impeccable, the food was fabulous. It was pure decadence in my book. The weather was great... a few rainy nights. Really cool thunderstorms! And amazing sunsets. I just can't say enough. The only draw back was that you are a little out there. The closest town, Coco beach is about 30 minutes away. We found a geat tour company called J&C tours (---). They were substantially lower in price than the four seasons. And the service was impeccable as well. They really go out of their way for you. For example: Juan jumped on a horse and rode as fast as he could 15 minutes back to our car to get my bathing suit I had forgotten. Service! Juan and Carol the owners are a great couple. They picked us up in Liberia and took us to the hotel for only $50 total...not $50 each person ...that is what the four Seasons charge. They took us into Coco beach and we also did a tour up to Buena vista lodge which was alot of fun, cheaper and more intimate than what we would have received at the 4 Seasons.
I highly recommend J and C tours as well as a luxurious stay at the four seasons Papagayo. It's over the top!

P.S. Just make sure if you are planning to play golf, check to make sure they aren't punching the greens. That was a kink in the trip for my husband. Oh well we still had a awesome time.

Great place to stay but do day trips and transportation seperate!!

by TripAdvisor Member BBCostaRica

This is a luxurious resort. The rooms are amazing, great staff, and of course you have to love the golf course. I stayed at the Four Seasons when my daughter and her boyfriend wanted to come down over the holidays. We did find out a little trick on saving money on extra things that you may believe the hotel only offers. I found out that the hotel charges $50 dollars per person from Liberia Airport to the Four Seasons. I knew it was only about a 40min drive and that would be $150 for three people!! I asked around and ended up using J and C Tours and paying just $60 total for all three of us. Well, I am glad I did that because my daughter wanted to do some tours and it turns out J and C's prices are a lot lower than the hotels and they offer all the same stuff. The nice part was that it was us three the whole time. We got a private tour, cheaper than a going on a huge tour bus from the hotel! Anyway we had a great time and made new friends. Thanks Four Seasons and J and C Tours!!!

Good Four Seasons Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Ruby71

I have to agree with the last FS Costa Rica review posted. My husband and I had a very similar impression of this Hotel when we stayed there for 5 nights the week of April 4th. Here is the scoop:

We loved the Hotel itself - The property was breathtakingly beautiful, the rooms were fabulous and luxurious (even compared to Maui and Hualalai where we stayed in August 2004), the pools, the beach, the spa was wonderful as were the workout facilities. The spinning class was great!

The Golf Course was amazing - My husband cannot stop raving about the design of the course, the challenge of playing it and the fact that it was never crowded. Only FS guests can play it. There is an afternoon special for $110 that includes clubs, shoes and greens fees and plus, there tends to be more clouds so it's not as hot.

The food and restaurant service - This was the big negative for us. We had 2 poor expereinces at Caracol with both the quality of the food which was very lacking for FS standards and the service. We had to ask for menus, for water and to remind the staff of what we ordered. We were told, however, that this restaurant was relatively new and that they are well aware of the concerns (which were voiced by many of the guests we met while we were there) and are working to improve things. We also tried the barbeque at Congo's one evening and again found the quality of the food to be lacking. Di Mare was the best bet for dinner, but still, the food did not compare to the finer Maui and Hualalia restuarants we ate at while in Hawaii.

Pool and Beach service - The service by the pool and the Beach was excellent. The staff is always coming by with cold towels, popsicles, water and are always there to take a drink order.

Overall, we had a great time and enjoyed our stay. The remoteness of the property would probably get to us had we stayed any longer, but we're the type to settle in and enjoy all that FS hotels have to offer. We think this Hotel has some need for improvement in the food and service department, but that it is generally on the right track.

We would recommend the Hotel with the above caveats to our friends.

As Usual Four Seasons Service is Top Notch

by TripAdvisor Member sjben

My husband and I returned a few weeks ago from Costa Rica and while we were there we stayed 9 nights at the Four Seasons. This is a beautiful resort. The food in all of the restaurants is very good. My least favorite was Di Mare- we only ate there once. One night while we were there we went to the Caracol (at the golf course) and they had entertainment (2 men singing performing spanish music) outside on the veranda by themselves. My husband decided to take our dessert out on the veranda and it was as though we had our own private group singing to just us! It was incredibly romantic. At the advice of a previous review here at Trip Advisor, we ate at the bar Tico's as well and had hamburgers and nacho's which gave us a break from 'big'meals. The staff is just amazing whether you are at the pool, beach, spa, or restaurants. As for off campus activities, we did the Canopy Tour at Witches Rock and enjoyed ourselves- there were young children who went with us as well and had a very safe ride. My husband could not say enough about the golf course! The views are spectacular and he saw Monkey's, Parrot's, Coati's, Lizard's and others. One day when we were on the beach a group of white faced Monkey's came right down onto the beach-thrilling for those of us who only have seen them in zoo's. Also, I would recommend the Rincon de la Vieja Volcano tour. Even though it is a bit of a drive- (about 1.5 hours) we had a wonderful guide and we saw tons of exotic birds (Pale Billed Woodpeckers, Rufousbrowed tyranoulet, trogan,roadside hawks, flycatchers, motmots, great curassow) and other wildlife, bubbling mud interesting landscapes. OWe ate at a traditional hacienda and tour guide was very knowledgable on all things Costa Rican. It was well worth it.

The only drawback to our stay was that there were a couple of "convention' type groups there. One day the 'quiet'pool was overrun by a loud, party atmosphere which disrupted the mood of the place. The concierge made a reservation for us at Caracol one night and it was closed for one of these groups-so, we got all the way out there only to turn around and come back. A small inconvenience- but, large groups can be disruptive.

The rooms are beautiful- my bed did squeak though as another reviewer mentioned previously. I loved the screened in balcony and view of the ocean-very peaceful. I highly recommend this resort.

Costa Rica Peninsula Papagayo

by bmw10111

"Four Seasons Papagayo Peninsula"

Wow! What a great property. Modern, clean, artistic, and remote, are the words that come to mind. We stayed in one of the 3 bed room suites at the hotel. It was very nice, with a full kitchen, office, 3 1/2 bathrooms, and a great view. The suite was located at the top of the hill a bit away from the main hotel. Most transport was done via golf carts that the lobby promptly dispatched. The food was was tasty, abundant, and of a fairly wide variety. This property has only been open for a little less then a year. My biggest complaint, is that I am not a resort kind of person. There is a lot that can be done here, but you NEED to get off the property. While the hotel is happy to arrange day trips, they are simply picking a few local firms to work with, and adding on to the price. I went, deep sea fishing, 4x4 ATV riding, rented a sail boat for the day, and took a ton of trips into the local cites. The locals are friendly, the food is good, and the prices are cheap. Costa Rica is one of the most beautiful and unspoiled places I have ever visited. The trips to the rain forest and on the wire lines above the rain forest canopies will always be special to me.

This Four Seasons is still new. They have a bit to work on, but over all this was a great trip.

One major comment: If you are afraid of bugs, snakes, lizards, monkeys, don't go here. I am not easily frightened but did find two large spiders and one VERY large grasshopper in my room, within feet of my bed.

Last note: Do not fly into Santiago! It is three hours by car from Papagayo.

Honeymoon, Five Star hotel on beach in Costa Rica

by AngieGo

Hi All,

We're interested in having our honeymoon in costa rica, leaving around August 12 for a week. Basically, we would like a relaxing and comfortable get away in a five-star hotel on a beach; prefereably someplace not exceptionally touristy. Being in a central location for other events or trips or sightseeing would be good too. Any advice would be totally appreciated!!!!! Thanks, Angie

by papagayomichael

Try either the Grand Papagayo or Four Seasons Hotel in the Gulf of Papagayo. The Grand will be cheaper and closer to activities and sightseeing.

by sharon36605

Villa Caletas Hotel is on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean near Punta Leona and Jaco. I have stayed there and it's one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. They have a honeymoon suite that has it's own swimming pool with a large deck overlooking the ocean. The master bedroom is large with a sitting room and it also has a smaller bedroom and two baths. All very private. Of course there are other rooms in the main hotel plus cabins. The pool has a spectacular view of the ocean-it's like you are sitting in the sea. They also offer a bus service to different locations. Phone number is 011-506-257-3653 or e-mail at caletas@ticonet.co.cr. They will give you all the info you need. In the brochure I got it says "A fragrant garden sanctuary on a magical mountain overlooking the sea".

by costaricablog

four seasons is the `daddy´in costa rica, you could also try paridisus playa conchal, it´s less than an hours drive from Liberia airport. the beach is one of the nicest on the pacific coast but i found the all-inclusive atmosphere a tad `sterile´and hated wearing those wrist bands that say `rich tourist' to the locals.
a matter of personal taste.
my recommendation would be costa verde hotel in manuel antonio, not exactly on the beach but a 2 mins shuttle bus down the hill and great views from the horizon pool.
here´s a photo i took when i was there last month:

Comments