Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

More about Hotel Arco Iris

Pura Vida at Arco Iris!!! Simply beautiful... :)

by TripAdvisor Member Soso_biz

Loved my stay at Hotel Arco Iris!!!
It is in a very nice & quiet location....close to everything you need.
Rooms are very clean & nicely renovated..
Cable TV (with lots of channels) & Mini-Fridge included..
Very nice bathroom..It also felt so nice to have A/C & a fan included because you will need it!
Beautiful clean pool..!!
Loved the Tropical plants & trees decorating all around...
Free breakfast included with Fresh Fruits & Fresh Coffee!miammm..
In the evening, the restaurant opens and creates a nice ambiance with its music...At night we would sit outside and play cards
Richard, the owner, is a great man..he is friendly and very helpful..He does make sure you enjoy your stay at Arco Iris and help u feel more relaxed...

As a Flight Attendant & frequent flyer, I would Definitely recommend this place!!!!!!
It was just a great place to stay in Tamarindo,
and I would've never thought of paying so cheap for such a clean place..
Loved it!!! Thanks again for everything!!!! :)
Sofia

Comfortable and clean with the most helpful owner you'll find

by TripAdvisor Member PSUAndy

My fiance and I stayed at the Arco Iris in December 2008. We found it to be the nicest of the mid range accommodations in the area. It is extremely clean, relaxing, and nicely landscaped. The units are very new due to recent remodeling and it looks to be under continuous improvement.

Every morning we enjoyed breakfast with fresh fruit and good coffee by the well maintained pool, where we even got to see some howler monkeys.

However, we were most impressed with Richard the owner. He is driven by pleasing his guests as opposed to making a profit. He was extremely helpful with most anything we needed from reservations, travel advice, recommendations, or amenities. He even provided us with beach towels and mailed our postcards for us when we ran out of time at the end of the trip.

I would highly recommend the Arco Iris in Tamarindo to anyone looking for a relaxing place to stay.

Loved the Arco Iris!! All around wonderful experience!

by TripAdvisor Member bklynlaw86

This small but very cozy hotel made for a wonderful experience in Costa Rica. My friend and I stayed there over the New Years Holiday and this hotel is truly a hidden gem in the midst of Tamarindo. The location is great- 10 minutes walk from the beach and to town- close to all of the restaurants.. although the best restaurant is right inside the hotel. The food there is absolutely incredible- especially the tuna! Everyone is really friendly. Also, Richard, the owner of the hotel is truly a wonderful person! From the minute we arrived in the hotel, he was welcoming and always wiling to help with finding great places to go to and making suggestions. We had an amazing time! Thank you! When you go, make sure to go to Playa Conchal- its drastically different than the beach in Tamarindo- 30 minutes by cab- we discovered it on our last day - so beautiful!

Two thumbs way up!

by TripAdvisor Member jackaroeNY

The Arco Iris was such a find!

Tucked away on a very quiet back street, away from the hustle & bustle of Tamarindo. Overnight security guard ensured the safety of our vehicle. We weren't too thrilled with the town of Tamarindo itself, but the Arco Iris totally salvaged the stay.

Very clean rooms and bathrooms. Attention to detail, such as a new bathroom floor mat every day. We found the breakfast great to start the day. Fresh fruit, granola, cafe con leche, orange juice. No pinto gallo, however, which of course is the typical breakfast of Costa Rica.

A word about the owner, Richard. This guy's sole purpose is customer satisfaction. Anything and everything you need, he will do his best to get it for you, or point you in the right direction. After the earthquake, there were issues with the phones in CR. He went out of his way numerous times to make sure I had access to his office phone to call my son back in the U.S. From the moment you arrive, until the moment you leave, he is there to make sure you are enjoying not only his hotel, but your stay in Tamarindo as well. He directed us to Playa Avellanas (30 mins by car) which was a really nice beach, away from the overcrowded beach in town. I was actually kinda sad leaving, as I felt like I could have made a friend if time permitted. He is so laid back, generous, and truly enjoys the Buena Vida, it's hard not to have his great attitude rub off on you.

I HIGHLY recommend the Hotel Arco Iris if Tamarindo is on your agenda. You won't regret it.

Highly recommend Hotel Arco Iris - Richard the owner is very helpful

by TripAdvisor Member spudbiker

I would HIGHLY recommend the Hotel Arco Iris. My wife and I visited Tamarindo for (unfortunately) a very short stay and really enjoyed the Hotel. Richard, the owner, was a real pleasure and very helpful lining up things like shuttle service, side trips, etc., before we arrived. He was very accessible and went out of his way to make sure we had what we needed when we were there - he provided the right balance of making sure we were taken care but also not comandeering our time, which was limited this trip. A nice guy to chat with, I overheard another guest asking Richard if he had any spare books - he did and asked the guest if he had any old books to drop off as he maintains a small travelling library of sorts. Nice touch.
Our rooom was clean, had a small refrigerator, and the service was good. I would describe the accomodations as simple, not extravagant, and I think that is what the price range dictates. Nice grounds, a short walk to the beach and town. We did not get a chance to eat at the restaurant, though the morning breakfast was good. Highly recommend it!!

Best Restaurant in Costa Rica

by TripAdvisor Member mgtravles

Very comfortable hotel with the best food in Costa Rica. The restaurant is terrific.
Rooms are simple, yet clean and comfortable. Staff is great.
The beach is about a 5 minute walk away.
We'll be back!

Simple pleasure and a great value

by TripAdvisor Member aussiecalgal

My husband and I picked this hotel on this website's reviews. All of these positive comments are true. It is a great price, the rooms are basic but clean and spacious, it's a very short walk to town and the beach (5 minutes) the breakfast is fresh and included in the price. The most notable part about this hotel is the owner Richard. He is a San Fernando Valley transplant and I think his career as a psychologist really helps him read his guest's needs. He is so friendly and helpful and always available to sit and chat and give you suggestions and directions to the best beaches, restaurants etc. He goes out of his way to make you comfortable.
The on-site restaurant, "Seasons" by Shlomy is wonderful. The chef, Shlomy is very creative and his food is exceptional although not "cheap". His reputation is obvious as the restuarant seemed quite busy every night and it is definitely not in view of passers- by ,you 'd have to know it was there to find it. Another really good place we found is just down the street, Wok and Roll....great sushi and wok meals where you pick your own ingredients.
On the recommendation of Richard we ventured to his favorite beach Playa Avellanos. The drive there is not for the faint hearted, slippery gravel and dirt roads for about a 40 min dirve but the destination was truly worth it. There is no town, just a few rustic cabins and rentals away from the beach. Lola's restaurant( named after their giant pig who makes a daily trek to the water's edge) is the only place there and is the starting place for a great day. Park in the parking lot, there is a security guard there, and either sit on one of Lola's beautiful native wooden lounge chairs with no pressure to buy anything or take 5 steps to the beach. The sandy beach is very long and great for beginner surfers or those who just want to play. The tide goes way out and leaves rock hard sand covered in shells. The food at Lola's is fantasitc and plentiful and a very popular destination for tourists.
We thank Richard for all his stories and making us feel so welcome.

Lovely small hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sbocajaerdna

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. The rooms were very modern and very clean with working air conditioning. The breakfast was lovely too. The hotel is located about a 5 minute walk from the beach (there is only one hotel that is on the beach itself). There is no car park but we were able to park our car outside the hotel and the hotel has a guard that is there at night. Only tip about this place is don't forget to pack your beach towel as they do not provide them.

ps Playa Conchal - about an half an hours drive away is a great place to swim (if the waves are too big in Tamarindo) and is much quieter than Tamarindo if you fancy somewhere else to go

Tranquil retreat in a tourist hotspot

by TripAdvisor Member RebelYells

Tamarindo ,or 'Tamagringo' as the locals affectionately term it, has unfairly garnered a reputation for being overwhelmed by tourism and development. While it has seen a significant increase in both, Tamarindo still offers plenty of genuine Costa Rican authenticity and hospitality.

Hotel Arco Iris strikes an excellent balance between both the demand for modern facilities and original Costa Rican hospitality. My girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights in December and thouroughly enjoyed it.

Ideally located on the town outskirts away from the huste and bustle, the hotel itself has undergone a recent renovation and the finished product is outstanding. The manicured grounds are maintained daily by the resident gardener, the building exteriors have local appeal and the interiors are finished to a four star standard. Each room is fully air conditioned and has it's own mini-fridge. Other facilities include an on-site restaurant and swimming pool.

The best asset of this hotel are it's staff. Owner/Manager Richard could not be more helpful. He arranged a surf lesson for us within five minutes of arriving, and gave us many helpful suggestions including a tip to visit Playa Avellanos (via a perilous 30 min drive). Throughout our stay he went out of his way to chat with us to make sure our stay was as enjoyable as possible. All of the other staff were very pleasant, the housekeeper even did our laundry for us! At night there is a full time security gaurd who also monitors the guests cars.

The on-site restaurant 'Season's' is possibly the best in Tamarindo, while not particularly cheap, the food is exceptional.

Overall this is a classy hotel, with great staff and represents great value for money.

Peaceful Little Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member d312

We chose the hotel because of all the great reviews and the great value and we were definitely not disappointed. The hotel is small but goes right with the feel of Tamarindo. It's a little ways up from the beach, but not too far, about a 5-10 minute walk. You get used to walking on the dusty roads after the 3rd or 4th time. Honestly though, we didn't venture out that far after dark just because of the dim lighting on the streets. We didn't necessarily think something would happen, but we also didn't want to risk it.

Overall, the hotel is clean, nicely decorated and a great value. The owner, Richard, is very helpful and welcoming. The on site restaurant was also the best restaurant we ate at. We felt very safe at our hotel and I really liked that it wasn't huge. We hated seeing that this massive building was being built right in the center of town and is honestly 5 stories larger than any other building in town. It's disappointing but this hotel seems to keep it real and feels very authentic. Great find.

Tamarindo - Surfers (2009)Tamarindo - Surfers (2009)

Tamarindo RivermouthTamarindo Rivermouth

Playa Flamingo, Costa RicaPlaya Flamingo, Costa Rica

Low Tide Break at Playa GrandeLow Tide Break at Playa Grande

Best hotels in Tamarindo?

by TicoMario

I am unexpectedly going to Tamarindo for a quick trip in December and haven't been there in quite some time. Anyone have a good tip for a nice, clean, reasonably priced hotel? Plus, do you have any pics, as well? That would help. Thanks for any info. I love how helpful everyone seems to be on VT!!!!

Cheers,
Mario

Re: Best hotels in Tamarindo?

by sean420

There has been a ot of changes in Tamarindo since your last visit/ Tamarindo is crowded, dirty, and full of development. Six story condominiums line the main street in town, a large business park is being built, many local restaurants have been replaced with American chains like Burger King, Pizza Hut, Subway sandwiches, etc. Lots of trucks moving construction equipment and kicking up dust. Just this week the beach was declared unsafe to swim due to super high bacteria levels - no doubt the result of over development in a town with no sewer system. The Diria hotel is notorious for dumping raw sewage into the ocean in front of the hotel.

If I were you I would rethink staying in tamarindo

Re: Best hotels in Tamarindo?

by giselawuytens