JC & Friends Hostel

Calle Real, Carretera a Langosta, Casa Delfin, Tamarindo Beach, Tamarindo, 1000, Costa Rica

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Tamarindo

Iguana Surf (2010)Iguana Surf (2010)

Perfect for Great Costa Rica CoffeesPerfect for Great Costa Rica Coffees

My wifeMy wife

Tamarindo BeachTamarindo Beach

Accomodations that is NOT a resort

by hotsauce28

I'll be in Tamarindo in December and need to be near some family members that have already booked their stay at the Cala Luna. Are there any reasonable B&Bs, canbanas or even camp sites in the area close by? I really would like to avoid paying $200.00 per night.
Thanks!

by rivermonkey007

I know there is a hostel that is quite cheap in Tamarindo, no cabanas on the beach since Costa Rica doesn't allow most building 150m from the high tide line. You can camp on most beaches in Costa Rica, however do not leave anything unattended on the beach...specially Tamarindo and Playa Grande.

by hotsauce28

Do you know if we can camp along the beaches where the resorts are or are they private?
Thanks!

by edaviscr

There are a lot of rental homes in the neighborhood available around Cala Luna. BeachCondoTamarindo.com is a good resource. Condo Elegante might be a good choice or Condo Pacific Sunset...

by gfinesilver

all costa rica beaches are public property so you can camp on any beach, no matter what the nearby hotel tells you.
definitely be wary, tamarindo, as an awful tourist mecca, attracts thieves like all the other meccas in costa rica. i'd suggest staying somewhere that isn't in tamarindo proper. it's much nicer around the town than in it.

by kzapanta

yeah, camping right on the beach might not be a good idea.

But for sure there are a multitude of places around there that are not resorts! Personally, if you want something closest to your other relatives, just walk around when you arrive and find the closest ones since not all are on the web.

by hotsauce28

I finally found a place for $65.00 taxes in! Villas Macondo.. looks pretty clean and I have a private bathroom so i'm quite excited. =)
I did that last year (not booking) and a few towns that I wanted to stay in was completely booked so I didn't want to take a chance this year.
Thanks all for your help!

Travel Tips for Tamarindo

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

by jenn_d

There are only two ATM's in town. The first is Banco Costa Rica..which only accepts CR ATM cards, the second is at the Best Western which accepts most cards with the exception of ones bearing the Mastercard symbol. Of the four us, only Luis was able to withdrawal cash/colones. The closest ATM's outside of Tamarindo are an hours drive away in Liberia. Fortunately we drove through Liberia on a day trip, so we all stocked up and paid Luis back!

Many of the establishments took credit cards but smaller places, such as the grocery store did not.

Surfing at Tamrindo and Playa Granded Beaches

by atufft

The beaches along this part of the Nicoya peninsula have a very gradual rise from the sandy sea bed onto the heaps of sand on the beach. Behind the beaches, and separating the two beaches is a estuary and dry marshland. The beaches create a gentle curve along a several mile long stretch. Like any good surf spot on the Pacific Ocean, the waves can be large and in regular patterns, and at these beaches the ride can be a long one too. I didn't observe much crosscurrent activity despite the location near an estuary, but the waves break in both directions. Playa Grande seems to have the edge on quality surf waves over the more popular Tamarindo Beach. I didn't have time to check out the opportunity for rental boards in Tamarindo, but I'm certain that this is a possibility because I've seen it elsewhere in Costa Rica. Good luck to those bringing boards over the washboard gravel roads from the main highway on the Nicoya Peninsula.

Yummy.

by NCGabrielle about Nibanna

Great experience... wait staff was so nice and worked with us on our spanish. my friend had a great pasta dish with lobster... and i had just plain pasta with vodka cream sauce... but it was wonderful... definitely recommend it. they bring out a little appetizer before your meal... we couldnt tell if it was tuna salad or not but its good! good ceasar salads too.. and a nice place to stop for a beer mid afternoon(they have imperial light!!! :))

a little more dressy... even though we went in shorts and tshirt... couple beside us wore a dress and sandals... and khakis...

Surf Lessons & Surfboard Rentals

by Strategic_Dolphin

My point is not just the exelent service in here this guys went far from that, it makes me feel like a friend, tons of tips about whatever you can imagine, this guys love what they are doing.
My kids and wife went on a surf lesson i personally rent a board (high quality brands in exelent conditions) for more than a fair price.
The instructor was Allen, a tico guy with a big knowledge on surfing and tides, my kids love him, it was a good surf lesson (teaching & fun convined) they had a blast and seeing my famile enjoy that way makes me write this tip.
Diego back in the surf shop will help you with whatever they can, with the bar almost open will be the best place to land once in Costa Rica.
check their website for all Costa Rica info (most surf related) www.costaricasurfclub.com

more...

by pollon

the pelicans were a little bit more cooperative but definitely quicker than my camera to plunge for a fish and then fly away in a flash...
anyway I was more stubborn than them as my travelogue witnesses but they always quicker than me ;-)...

Comments