Los Altos De Eros

Los Altos de Eros
Booking.com eDreams

More about Los Altos De Eros

Fabulous vacation

For those looking for an upscale alternative to traditional resorts, this small boutique hotel and spa is the place. The proprietors and staff are very friendly and pride themselves on providing highly personalized service. Tucked back up on a mountain with exceptional views, Los Altos’ accommodations are situated in a beautiful setting with outstanding sunsets. The rooms are very comfortable and functional (bathrooms have cool outside showers), and the food is fabulous (all prepared by Los Altos’ staff). Numerous beaches and recreational activities are only a short drive away, and the staff is most happy to shuttle you back and forth. If you don’t feel up for leaving the premise, then don’t……relax by the pool or enjoy the beautiful on-site spa…both are terrific ways to spend the day. And for those wanting some morning exercise, Jacqueline holds a morning walk and/or run. Just don’t try to eclipse her record setting pace (just kidding).

All in all a wonderful place to spend a week.

Impressive

by TripAdvisor Member BDHumphreys

Beautiful everything! This will probably be on lifestyles of the rich and famous soon...that type of quality. We felt like celebrities, and my wife had the best spa experience of her life. Truly first class facility with a first class staff.

Classy

by TripAdvisor Member itis

The most beautiful surroundings with a gorgeous view of the Pacific Ocean! The accomodations were first class and we were treated like royalty. We will definitely be back!

Richard and Adrienne Schoenwalder
Jensen Beach, Florida

Serene experience

by TripAdvisor Member Candee1

We were looking for a special place to celebrate out 35th anniversary when a friend reccommened Los Altos. What a beautiful place. Everything it needs to be to promote rest and relaxation. The day at the Spa de Eros was one I will not soon forget. Totally Pampered. The food out of "Yanina's Kitchen" was wonderful and beautifully presented. The wine bottle was never empty and our every need was met. The drivers were very informative and it was fun learning about their country and customs. Though their roads are in pretty bad shape we enjoyed the outings. I would reccommend Los Altos de Eros.

Awesome Choice

by TripAdvisor Member gracie007

My husband and I booked our entire wedding (In Mexico) and honeymoon (Costa Rica) over the internet, so we really did not have any idea of what to expect. We found Los Altos de Eros through this site.

When we got there I was a little apprehensive because my husband usually likes to be in the center of activity and rarely likes to relax. Turns out, I should of never worried. Los Altos de Eros is incredible. It is hard to put it into words. The grounds and building are beautiful, the staff is SO accomodating and nice and the food is outstanding!

But I think the best thing about it was, you almost felt like you were staying with a family. Calvin and Jacqueline are so welcoming and friendly. They are easy to talk to and you can tell they just want to make your stay there incredible. At the same time, they give you the space and privacy you need! It is wonderful. The food we ate there was awesome! EVerything prepared was extremely fresh, healthy and artistically prepared. Yanina (I am probably spelling wrong) is incredibly talented and I don't think she even knows it! Her food is wonderful. I don't think I have ever had a better shrimp cocktail!

The owners are more than happy to arrange day trips for you. We went deep sea fishing; caught a sailfish and "almost" caught a marlin!
This place is simply wonderful and I hope they change nothing! It seems like a small secluded paradise ...Thank you to the staff of Los Altos de Eros, the time we spent with you was awesome! Give our love to Oso.

robin and jamie

Perfect Tranquility

by TripAdvisor Member rosscoP

We spent 10 nights at Los Altos in July 2006. What a place! We were looking for a very relaxing holiday and to be pampered. We got what we wanted and then some. We were looked after so well by the staff (Yallina and Ari and of course Calvin, the owner, who made us feel like we were staying at a freind's house).
The location is fantastic, nestled into the hillside with great views across the hills to the Pacific. Hummingbirds are frequent visitors when sunbathing. The rooms are beautifully appointed, clean and well air conditioned. The food is very good and very healthy. We ate a lot of fruit! The pool is spotlessly clean and lots of time can be passed sipping wine whilst enjoyng the view to the ocean. We were chauferred wherever we wanted to go, whenever we wanted to go.
The Spa:.....Oh.....my......God. You have to experience it to appreciate it.
Weather in July seems to commonly involve gorgeous mornings and early afternoons followed by a bit of rain, but the rain is not a problem. In fact it simply ensures a more spectacular sunset.
Calvin, if you're reading this - thank you for everything.

As a spa owner myself I WANT THE VERY BEST.....

by TripAdvisor Member 9652

...and the very best of everything I received at Los Altos de Eros! Stellar service, nurturing treatments with spectacular ,magical views of the valley and the coastline, a warm and attentive staff.

It doesn't get any better than this.

Loooooved the massage.... and the bath in a one of a kind granite bath tub with abosolutely sublime views!

Jacqueline and Calvin I love you!

And I will see you soon!

Sheila Mc Gurk
-------

Astonishing experience, nothing like it

by TripAdvisor Member PeterInTheDesert

With 51 rave reviews ahead of me in this forum, it would be reasonable to ask why do more than complete the survey with all five-star ratings? It’s just that when you’ve been a guest here, you take on a proprietary air—you’ve made connections of one kind or another with many of the 22 individuals working here, some really memorable. Their growth and continued success becomes a personal thing for you; you want to help in any way possible.

The first way to help them is to point out that Los Altos de Eros is not for everyone. At this tranquil, energizing retreat, the music is Buddha Bar, guests are brought together for meals and conversation, and thinking of yourself as the center of the universe (as if you were staying at a Four Seasons) would be tolerated but it wouldn’t take long to figure out that attitude somehow didn’t fit. This isn’t a business hotel with long lists of services that take the place of what you do get at Los Altos: recognition as an individual. Yes, at the Peninsula, your every whim can be satisfied. But only a fool doesn’t realize that he is nearly always simply a symbol: the “guest” who will be here and then leave. Your recent loss, the celebration of your recent marriage, your renewal of old friendships, your time of transition, your stress, your reflection on life—these things are immaterial to most places and people in the travel industry. If you don’t mind silence, if your day doesn’t have to be scheduled with non-stop activities, if you believe you and your life are interesting (even if you only believe that they are to yourself), prepare for an astonishing experience when you arrive at Los Altos de Eros. You will be looked at closely, warmly, openly with an eye to finding out what can the hotel do to make sure that YOU get what YOU need during your stay here.

I’m writing this review (fortunately, I didn’t learn that there was WiFi until well into this one-week vacation!) from the private terrace of a two-bedroom suite located on a remote quarter of the compound. We’re high on a hill that drops away immediately beyond the hotel, across what’s known here as the dry forest (this being September, not too far from the end of the rainy season, everything everywhere is, however, totally green), across a teak plantation, to the broad sweep of the ocean, about, what, 10 km away. The terrazzo floor is always cool, the fans slowly turn, the white wine bottle settles in its ice bucket. Haven’t turned on the TV since arriving. There is artwork and fine crafts everywhere, which you gradually discover over time. The buildings are new, and teak and stucco are the building materials of choice. Except for the bedrooms, the hotel is open to the outside, spaces sheltered by broad roofs. Chains serve as downspouts—I recommend the rainy season for the experience of the afternoon thunderstorms, better even than Florida’s. The howler monkeys (conga) travel in groups of up to 14 or so, and as they travel around the tops of the trees, they pass nearly daily by the hotel, where their astonishing cries convince you that there’s a family of very large gorillas somewhere too nearby. The single rooms have outdoor showers that are cleverly attached to the bathroom. In this suite, the outdoor shower is down a short path—you push your way past the ferns and share the shower spray with ginger flowers in full bloom (there are indoor showers in the suite, too). In awhile, someone will discreetly stop by to mention that a meal will be served shortly. Breakfast and lunch are served daily, and on Tuesdays and Saturdays, dinner is offered, as well.

Nearly everyone takes breakfast together—except those who have already left for fishing, the zip line tour, diving, surfing, whatever. (Most people cram activities like mad into the first couple days, then look at each other, say “Why?” and stay mostly on campus for the rest of the trip.) Lunch is sparsely attended. Saturday dinner is the big event.

You can read elsewhere about the remarkable innkeepers, Jacqueline and Calvin Haskell, but let me add two cents so that you can see why Saturday dinner is so cool. An experience like Los Altos does not spring forth fully formed from the forehead of a howler monkey. Mature individuals who each led unusually rich lives before encountering each other on a beach one enchanted evening, Jacqueline and Calvin traveled to this hilltop to look for a place to build a vacation house. It didn’t take them long to say, what, exactly, does Florida offer? And they formed this concept, built the inn, set the pricing and designed the promotion cleverly so as to encourage self-selection of a clientele who would “get” the place, and assembled an architect and 50-some builders to create Camelot in the jungle in roughly a year. Some highly accomplished individuals develop that air of grace and authority that makes leadership look such a walk in the park. Other reviewers speak of the “family” atmosphere here. Hmm. Many families I’ve seen seem to have aspects that I’d really rather not experience on a vacation. I expect they refer to the open, non-judgmental, accepting atmosphere and that magical trick the staff do in looking you over and knowing what you’ll like and won’t like. Calvin and Jacqueline work incredibly hard behind the scenes on millions of details that are, when taken together, recognized as simple perfection, and they have established close and trusted relationships with the folks who work with them here. It’s not a family: it’s a proper business where a variety of elements combine to form a stable, successful venture.

On Saturday evenings, everyone dresses up a bit, which means shoes are worn, a bit of jewelry, most guys in long pants for the first time since arrival, and Jacqueline stepping off the cover of “Interview” magazine as the stylish, globetrotting jet-setter she once was, fun, hilarious, beautiful, quick, relaxed—and suddenly what could have been “one more meal together” turns into a Hollywood dinner party, with laughter, great music, excellent food (Calvin sacrifices himself each Sunday, cooking the tenderloin, whole chicken, and roasted potatoes in a traditional wood oven), and astonishing warmth shared among everyone. Actually, not a Hollywood dinner party—no one’s competing or jockeying for position. Guests tend to reveal themselves in the nicest way. A recent newlywed [Roz and Mark, I didn’t know! Many happy years together!] remarked wistfully how wonderful and intimate her hand massage was; oddly, a really tender moment.

For those who are socially shy, all of this sitting together and talking at meals might seem intrusive and an imposition. Reviewer 51 mentioned that she was accustomed to time alone with her companion at meals when traveling and was wary of this large dining table. But the fact that there’s general conversation turns out not to be a burden but part of the fun—what did you do, where did you go, can you BELIEVE the mud wrap, and, mostly, how the HECK did we find ourselves in such a wonderful place?

If you come, organize a Signature Massage early in your trip. I waited until halfway through, an error. How long has THIS been going on, I wondered in amazement. We had the day spa, described elsewhere. Perhaps the greatest luxury here is that there are so few of us in such a large place. At lunchtime in the spa, we realized that we were completely alone with this glorious view, glorious food, halfway through being spoiled rotten, sipping this sharp, crisp white table wine, hearing transforming music, wondering vaguely if we would be getting the warm brownie with fresh ice cream as a treat if we cleaned our plates. At just the right moment, our therapists appeared to prepare us for the next round.

I had the Signature Massage twice—as is usually the case, a masseuse “learns” you and your body, and the second time was even better, unbelievable as that would seem to you after the first time. I agree with the reviewers who say this was the best spa experience they’ve had, and I’ve been “everywhere.” It’s a no-nonsense spa. There are no hot rocks, skin bleaching, bustle. My friend, a surfer, had the deep-tissue massage. It sounded like she beat the hell out of him, but he didn’t stop smiling for a day afterwards. Our masseuses were in fact degree-holding physical therapists. I am grateful to Leonida, the spa manager, for orchestrating this amazing and very personal experience for me. The script for your massage journey is contained in her breathing. I didn’t open my eyes to see where she suddenly grew the extra two (or four) hands that would be the only way possible to create the sensations I experienced. I didn’t want to know.

Felipe, the hotel’s nurseryman (Calvin is an avid gardener, and it is a mistake to think that all of this scenic beauty is natural—he gilds Costa Rica’s lily with subtlety and to a wonderful effect), contained his amusement during a Spanish lesson where he used the monkeys as objects for our conversation. As with the dozen individuals, from manager Ariadna on, with whom I had contact, my few minutes with Felipe were characteristic of the experiences I had with the folks who were looking after me. When I stupidly came down with a cold, the world stopped so that measures could be taken to make me less miserable.

If you are interested in the great game of business, spend some time with Calvin, easy going on the outside, a most brilliant developer on the inside. As a guy who lost his shirt in the dot-com crisis, I bow to the man who sold early and at a huge profit. He has dozens of businesses designed in his head, I think it’s what he does as he stands on the edge of the terrace watching the sunset.

Many thanks to Los Altos des Eros. Can’t wait until next time.

'Heights of Love' reach heaven

by TripAdvisor Member Lakram

Reading some of the previous reviews, it has suddenly dawned on me that my command of the English language suddenly seems quite inadequate to add my twopenneth worth on this site. Which is sad really, considering I'm an Englishman!

Ros and I (Mark) have just had the most amazing experience of our lives. 16 days in Costa Rica on the most perfect honeymoon we could ever have wished for. Costa Rica Vacations UK arranged stays in 5 different locations culminating with five of the most delightful days and nights at Los Altos de Eros.

If there is a better place to stay on the entire planet, never mind America, then I would like to know where it is.

There is little point in my repeating what has previously been written in the reviews on this site, just take my word for it, they are all true!

As they say in the States ..... ditto .... ditto ..... ditto

Calvin & Jacqueline have created a diamond in the hills. Each and every member of the staff are delightful, professional, beautiful and have a sixth sense when it comes to providing you with complimentary drinks at just the right moment.

We made friends with several people during our stay, whom we would love to meet again in the future. (Thank you Peter for your good wishes - you, Bob, Caroline, Dave, Cindy, make sure you come and see us in Blighty and see some real England)

Regarding the spa. I was a man who considered massage, not so much a woman's thing, but as something that would not provide myself with value for money. How wrong I was.
My wife managed to pursuade me to go along and have the 'sunset massage' and being newlywed I dutifully obliged. Wow! The previous review describes it far better than I can, but Wow! I also had Leo' as my masseuse and forget the sunset, I wouldn't have seen it anyway, my eyes were shut the whole time, while I savoured every second in a state of sheer bliss. If you've never had a massage then make this your first.

Thankyou Calvin & Jacqueline. As we say down south .... you're Diamond Geezers.

Perfect slice of heaven (even for a surfer)

by TripAdvisor Member seanSF

Perfection. That's all I have to say. We stayed four days at LADE in early August and we are still dreaming about our time there and anticipating our next trip to Costa Rica and our return to paradise. The staff treated us like kings (and queens) and were so professional and attentive throughout our stay. They made us feel at peace from the moment we arrived until the sad day we departed. It felt like the Ritz or Four Seasons but was less expensive, more beautiful and certainly more peaceful due to the small size of the resort. The food was absolute top quality (seared ahi and breakfast parfaits) and the rooms were impeccably decorated and maintained.

We have traveled all over the world and lived in NY, Chicago and SF. This place is by far the most perfect, restful and beautiful place we have ever been. My wife was so happy (as was I) that she even forgot I was gone half the day chasing waves. As a surfer, I must say that the location is also perfect. It is about 15 minutes from Avellanas which I found to be the most reliable and consistent break from Grande to Negra. They offer a ride to and from the beach which helps avoid car rental issues.

Comments