Vara Blanca, La Paz Waterfalls Gardens, Heredia, Costa Rica
Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 266% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Peace Lodge

Amazing! Top quality all around.

by TripAdvisor Member jayrose96

PEACE LODGE:
We cannot recommend this resort any higher! 5 out of 5 without hesitation! First class service equivalent of a Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons. Grounds and rooms are immaculate. As stated below in a previous review, we have never experienced better attention to detail anywhere.
The deluxe room is definitely worthwhile - bathroom is not-to-be-believed, as big as our NYC apartment! Waterfall you can turn off and on, two showers (one like a waterfall, other like a "cave"), aromatherapy machine with various scented oils, jacuzzi tub. Additional jacuzzi tub on balcony.
We enjoyed the grounds, especially the hike along the waterfalls (spectacular).
We took the Poas Volcano/coffee plantation tour. The crater was a sight to see. My wife and I are coffee lovers and found the tour interesting (and delicious).
A previous reviewer did not enjoy the Peace Lodge because it was not rugged. I agree, it is not rugged. What it is is luxurious, beautiful, clean, and well taken care of. If you're looking for a hut in the jungle, this is not the place for you.
The food is very average, but should not stop you from staying here. As someone else wrote, this may spoil your time anywhere else because nothing will compare. We wish all hotels we stay at could measure up to the level of service provided by Peace Lodge.

You must stay here!

by TripAdvisor Member cggarb

This is absolutely the best hotel experience we've ever had. We spent the last 2 nights of our honeymoon at the Peace Lodge, which was perfect (3 nights might have been good, too). Impeccable service, and rooms that you have to see to believe. Rooms come equipped with everything you could imagine - poster bed, jacuzzi, hammock, cd player (with mix cds), dvd player (with a 200-disc free rental library), waterfall shower, aromatherapy machine, etc., etc., etc.

The American owners are very detail-ortiented, and that passes through to the amazing staff. You also get free admission to the on site park (waterfall hiking path, butterfly sanctuary, hummingbird preserve, and frog/snake zoo), which is very cool. Probably better when it's not raining.

The only conceivable downside is that there aren't many restaurant options in the vicinity - it's essentially the hotel restaurant (very good, but not great) or room service (above average).

I'll stop with the praise now - just assume that whatever other good things there are to say about this place...I said them too.

Fabulous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JSWB

We spend two nights at this delightful, though slightly Disneyesque hotel, which features room-sized bathrooms with waterfalls, interior garden and jacuzzis. The hotel is in a zoological park which offers a butterfly conservatory, hummingbirds galore, and reptile displays. The other marvelous feature is the paved walking trails to beautiful waterfalls. The restaurant is good, though a bit expensive for Costa Rica.
Staff couldn't be more warm, welcoming and helpful.
Only thing to be aware of us that the hotel's location is in a rain forest, and one can expect wet weather even in the purportedly dry season. It can also be surprisingly cool due to the elevation.
But even in the rain, this place makes a wonderful 2 day stop-over enroute to the Arenal area or as a side trip from San Jose.

Wow!

by TripAdvisor Member Chardonnay42

Wow, that's about all we can say. A group of 11 spent our last night in Costa Rica at the Peace Lodge. The owners have thought of everything, right down to a reading light next to the bed.

I agree with all of the excellent reviews that have been posted.

I don't know that I would want to spend more than three days there if I was touring Costa Rica and wanted to see the sights, but what a great place to relax!

fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member blewbyyou

My husband, nine year old and six year old spent three nights at Peace Lodge and absolutely loved it. I would recommend it to anyone who loves luxury in beautiful, exotic locations. Keep in mind that is all about nature though. We sat for a long time watching the hummingbirds in the gorgeous hummingbird garden. Alfred, a lovely gentleman from Holland, works with the hummingbirds and is a wealth of knowledge. My children loved holding the feeders and one of the birds even perched on my daughters finger! We also loved the frog house and had a wonderful guided tour at night where we all got to hold the tree frogs.

The butterfly garden is great when it is sunny out but when it is raining, the screen roof is not enough to shield the insects and they hide. The lodge is working hard to build a bigger, more covered garden so that the butterflies can fly no matter what the weather.

The rooms are gorgeous and full of every imagineable luxury as everyone else said in their reviews. The views are stunning, with the clouds hanging white over the Poas Volcano in the distance. The balcony of our room had a hammock, a hot tub and a glass table where we ate dinner one night. Our room was right near the pool and the kids loved swimming there. The pool area is small but has a gorgeous view of the mountains, a hot tub, small warm pool, and a cold pool.

The dinner restaurant is good so something has changed because previous reviewers have said otherwise. The only negative aspect was that at times, with our small children, it was a fancier environment than we would have liked and the children had few eating options. The Big Trout Bar serves until six or so and has a children's menu. Another restaurant near the hummingbird garden was so-so. We had lunch there. Peace Lodge also has a good gift shop. The waterfalls are breathtaking but the walk back up from them is not for the frail. There is a shuttle at the bottom to take guests back to the reception area.

The three nights and two days we spent at this hotel were great and we were not bored by the time we left. We went on the Doka coffee tour and loved it though I hear Cafe Britt is a bit more entertaining. The Poas Volcano was clouded over but I hear it almost always is and this must be why they include the Doka tour with the volcano tour.

If we had one more day we would have gone rafting and horse back riding. Maybe next year!

Interesting place

by TripAdvisor Member jmaglicic

Peace lodge is definitely an interesting place to stay. The rooms are really romantic but unfortunately it is not a quite place. We went for part of our honeymoon, and I do not recommend this place for honeymooners. It is not quiet and there are a lot of kids. I truly believe this place is very well suited for family vacations, there is lots for kids to do. The food is very pricy for what you get. Overall it is a nice place but I would not go back.

Will surpass your expectations

We stayed at the Peace Lodge for 3 days. It's expensive but it's a once in a lifetime dream resort.
I'd rate everything about this place 7 stars. The rooms, the grounds, the food and the service are outstanding.
Check out their website to see the pictures. The pictures are good but the place is even better. No one would regret a stay here.

Too Fake!!

We stayed here our last night of a 8 day honeymoon. i was expecting a great romantic place the last day of our trip, but i most be honest in that I was kind of disappointed in the hotel. The grounds were made of a lot of stamped concrete.. fake stone walls, fake wood rails, fake stone paths,, ect, all made of concrete. I thought the place didn't utilize the naturally beautiful landscape like it potentially could of, but instead resembled a "Disneyland" type hotel... The service was marginal and the food was okay (better than Tabacon, but more expensive). The waterfalls were beautiful though, so it might be worth it just to see them. In all I felt the place was more a family vacation stop, where the kids could look at the frogs or caged snakes.. I thought the experience in no way compared with our stays at Hotel Punta islita and Tabacon..

If you like Disneyworld you'll love Peace Lodge!

by TripAdvisor Member skipsit

It's a really nice hotel but somewhat isolated and nothing nearby to do. Rooms are exceptional and bathrooms huge and equipped to the max. Lots of amenities - DVDs, butterfly garden, pool, etc. but just not a place I enjoyed all that much. Too "done" and too "Disney".
Yes, the rooms are magnificent with whirlpools and waterfall showers, balconies, fireplaces.
However, the food is mediocre at best. More like catering food than fine dining. By CR standards it's very expensive and just not worth what they charge.
One restaurant for dinner and the other one for lunch. The lunch one is definitely not much more than an all you can eat snack bar. Pizza was the main offering. Definitely pass on the lunch. Dinner was acceptable but not really very good.
Staff was nice and helpful. Place is well kept and clean. But after you've done the place you'd probably not want to return. Unless, of course, you've never been anywhere else but Disneyworld.

Pure Disney

by TripAdvisor Member Lillybelle-Colorado

I agree with Salt Lake City review. If you like Disney land, you'll love this. It is soooo contrived. It's for the kids. But it's expensive. The waterfall in the bathroom is so over the top, it's funny. There are real waterfalls out there people, you don't need one in your room! And the real waterfalls are the reason to go to this place, because they are amazing, so maybe just visit for the day and tour the waterfalls (it's a good walk)and then see some of the nice zoo like features here, but save your money. It's all man made habitat. And they are in the process of many extensive building projects so we had horrible construction noise beginning at 6 am! Not ok. Yes, there are some cool things like seeing the butterfly pavillion, but if it is rainy or damp, they won't be flying. If you consider yourself a "naturalist" visit, but don't stay, the fake trout pond will do you in.

Comments