Beach Road, Puerto Viejo, 10010, Costa Rica

More about Hotel La Costa de Papito

Great Place To Stay In Puerto Viejo Area!

by TripAdvisor Member diegodesandiego

Just returned from a 4 night stay at La Costa De Papito, just south of Puerto Viejo in Cocles. Starting with the owner, and continuing through the entire line of employees, the hospitality that we were shown was top notch.
Each of the bungalows has its own personal touch, and although sleeping under mosquito netting takes a bit of getting used to, once acclimated one gets the best of both worlds: the feeling that you are truly in a remote jungle atmosphere, but while having many of the "creature comforts" at your fingertips.
The meals were great, and a great surfing beach is right across the road, although if you are not a strong swimmer you may want to consider a short bike trip (bikes are available) up to Punta Uva. The staff can also connect you with a wide variety of tours and adventure, but if you can handle a surf kayak in the open ocean for a mile or so, check with Martin the bartender re: his river tour. Highly recommended. PURA VIDA

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member dpruitt75

We stayed at La Costa de Papito for 9 nights. I can't say enough wonderful things about the staff (Minerva, Martin, and Laura are AWESOME!) and their hospitality. We were fortunate to meet Eddie (and his family) and he was just as gracious as his extended family there.

We reserved a small bungalow. What I was not aware of is that it was connected to another bungalow (I believe the bathrooms shared a wall). It was not so bad in terms of privacy since our doors/porches were not near each other, but you can hear EVERYTHING in the other bungalow. That was a little disappointing, so if you really want privacy, ask for a bungalow that is not connected. It was not enough to sour our stay or thoughts of the establishment - especially since we were rarely in our room.

La Costa is beautifully landscaped with lots of surprising little details. The bungalows are hard wood with porches where you can relax in a hammock or sit at your table outside. Beds were comfortable and our bed was made every day. Fresh towels were brought in every other day and I believe the rooms were cleaned every day. A ceiling fan helps keep the room comfortable, and reading lamps are clipped on to the bed.

There is free internet access, a book share, games, pool table, etc. We spent time at the bar with Martin, just hanging out and talking with him and other guests. The beach is directly across the little road from La Costa, and if you walk down the beach (away from the lifeguards), it is MUCH less crowded.

The breakfast is great to have delivered to your bungalow, but at $8 pp, it is a bit steep for Costa Rica (in my opinion). The ceviche at the restaurant CANNOT BE MISSED. We LOVED it! The restaurant is a little pricey, but is very nice and the food is very good.

I had two spa treatments at Pure Jungle Spa. All of the ladies at the spa are wonderful, and it was a great experience.

Overall, we absolutely LOVED this place. We will definitely visit again!!!!!

Jungle joy...

by TripAdvisor Member TheRoadLesTravels

Excellent place to stay. Secluded setting, yet close enough to town. (No matter where you stay in this area, make sure your hotel is set back off the dusty main dirt road). The lobby area, restaurant and rooms are elegantly rustic. Rooms are private. They've created a little paradise in the jungle. You'll like it. Two negatives that were easy to overlook... The hot water in our room was very limited (undersized on-demand water heater) and the prices in the restaurant was a bit high for the area (but we like to find the popular local eateries, anyway). Highly recommended.

Rat in Room

by TripAdvisor Member Bosley08

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Costa De Papito and had an unpleasant experience. This is actually our second time staying at the hotel...we were there last year for two nights and had an amazing time. This year was very different.

Originally we had booked for two nights, but we added a third. In order to accommodate our stay, we had to switch to a more expensive bungalow. Not only did the bathroom like septic but we heard loud scratching all night long from the roof above us. At around 1 am, we saw a huge rat running across the rafter closest to the door...he ran back and forth from the wall behind our bed to the bathroom wall several times throughout the night, and needless to say, we didn't sleep at all.

The next morning we had to leave early for a bus, otherwise we would have asked to speak to the owner directly. As it was, we told two different staff members, both of whom did not seem particularly interested in offering us any more than a "Thank you for telling us."

Obviously, a rat in a room is a pretty unattractive feature of a hotel, as is a staff that doesn't offer any sort of compensation. To give them the benefit of the doubt, we assumed that they did not have the authority to refund our money.

However, on our return to Canada, I prompty sent an email identical to this one to Eddie Ryan, the owner, who rather than offer to refund our money, as I feel any other hotel would do in this circumstance, his reply was to tell us that he was sorry, and that they had since had the rat removed for future guests.

I replied by saying we were surprised by this response, and felt our money should have been refunded for this night, particularly as we were already repeat customers of his hotel. A rat in a hotel room is unacceptable, even in tropical country. It's great to know they've taken action for future guests, but we would have appreciated equal concern.

His response was underwhelming to say the least:

"Greetings! We hope you will return to visit with us and we can treat you to something pleasing after your unpleasant experience. Hoping we will cross paths again."

I'm sorry, but expecting us to travel back to Costa Rica for a THIRD time, just to let them make it up to us, rather than refund us a paltry $69 is insulting.

There are plenty of other nice hotels to stay at in Costa De Papito. Colin's "Banana Azul" is a very friendly B&B, and "Azania Bungalows" is beautiful, with a very cool-looking pool.

Paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member saraspagnuolo

My husband and I have been traveling to Costa Rica for 6 years now and have stayed in various places but La Costa de Papito was, by far, the most tranquil, peaceful oasis of them all. It is where the jungle meets the sea.....the nature is beautiful and the coastline is out of this world. La Costa de Papito has wonderful cabinas for couples or families and they treat you like royalty. I loved rolling out of bed to have breakfast served at the cabina and napping on our personal hammock. They also have a restaurant on the premesis which has the best seafood I have had in Puerto Viejo and the service is surpurb. They also have a spa on premises and the massage therapists are wonderful. I had two massages this trip.......there is nothing like getting a massage in the jungle. Can't really explain it but the sounds and the proximity to nature are breathtaking. This was our 4th stay at La Costa de Papito. My husband and I stayed as a couple previously and then brought our children. It is suitable for both couples and families. We keep coming back to La Costa de Papito because it is the best place to stay in Puerto Viejo and the owner, Eddie Ryan, along with the rest of the staff are warm, friendly and professional. I highly recommend this paradise to anyone.

Best food I had

by TripAdvisor Member naturephotog100

I arrived by jeep after a 4 and a half hour drive on a very rainy day. The last stretch of the road was treacherous. I was tired. It was 5h30 p.m. I was hoping the place would live up to what I had imagined. The welcome was not the best. I felt like I was disturbing the people at Reception. Was I even welcome? I had a 3-night reservation, done at least 4 months before, confirmed by phone with a girl I will not name. A boy was checking me in and did not want to accept my traveler's checks. Why didn't they say that when I booked? Their web site mentioned a 13% tax if I paid by credit card. Who wants to use that then? And traveling alone taught me to carry a mix of traveler's check and cash. I didn't have enough cash for all 3 nights and dinners. So, the boy got the manager who finally accepted my traveler's checks... but I made sure I visited the bungalow first. I was starting to wonder about this place. I came here to relax, read books, go to the beach, have great meals. And that I had. In all the places I visited in Costa Rica, the food prepared here by Chef Walter was the best I had in 2 weeks. Fresh salads, a choice of 4-5 dressings at the table, cool white wine, that was only the beginning. I tried their fish, their pasta and on the 3rd night, the lobster that I chose to have with wine and lemon sauce. I come from lobster country and althrough theirs is different (for one thing, you might not know they do not have the claws the northern ones have), the lobster I was served was fresh, well prepared, accompanied by a baked potato and vegetables. It was heavenly! The waitress was young and very lively but I mainly noticed how efficient she was and how she memorized my tastes from the first night. Breakfasts I chose to have on my porch, in my night gown, delivered by a very punctual girl. Over 3 mornings, I tried guava, tamarindo and orange juices, pancakes, eggs, mueslix and coffee. What is amazing is that the kitchen is open for all to see that it is not modern, situated almost at the end of the road, from what I could tell far from the nearest fresh produce market. How do Walter and his brigade do it? I have no idea. But I know enough about restaurants to know that Walter is a professional and that he loves his craft. I recommend this restaurant to all people who love great food and who live to eat (and not eat to live). That's me.

Buggy room but overall a nice place

by TripAdvisor Member jjnboise

We stayed at the Costa de Papito in November. We had a great time in Puerto Viejo area. We arrived by bus and took a taxi to the hotel. The hotel is about a mile down the road from the town, so it's a bit of a walk unless you rent a bike. Even so, the location is nice because beach access is right across the street. The best surfing is up the beach a bit. You can ride a few miles south to Manzanillo - the beach there is great and the national park is nearby.

The bungalow we stayed in (#9) was comfortable if a bit spartan. I was fine with it; however my wife hated it because there were a bunch of dead bugs lying around everywhere. We turned on the ceiling fan and a bunch more went spinning off the top of the fan blades and scattered everywhere. It was as if the room had not been opened in a long time, or they used a "bug bomb" to kill insects and didn't clean up the dead bugs. In any case, the issue put a bit of a damper on the stay.

Pura Vida!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Cubanon

Wow!! What a great place Costa de Papito is. from its relax Caribean feel and looks, this is the place to stay when you go to Puerto Viejo. Papito, Eddie the owner, and his staff provide exellent service and make you feel right at home. Great food at the hotel"s restaurant, beautiful relaxing spa on the premises. Right across from one of Costa Rica's best surfing beach. within 30 minutes walking into Puerto Viejo and also a bike ride away from Punta Uva, one of the Caribean top ten beaches and Manzanillo. We loved it!

Papito=heaven

by TripAdvisor Member Amorosso43

I have gone to Costa Rica every year for the past 4 years. I have stayed in many hotel/resorts. I stay at least a week every year at La Costa De Papito and I wish it could be more. From the moment you enter the property, a peacefull and happy feeling comes over you. The staff and proprieters are the friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. My Cabina couldn't have been more pleasing. The entertainment and dining on site ensures you that you have chosen the right spot to enjoy paradise in. I went through a slight depression when I returned home this time........no more Tico breakfast on my porch listening to the ocean and the sounds of nature as I sip my coffee. I must say, Eddie and the rest of the Papito staff are really doing something right down there- I always feel like a new man when I return. I would also like to mention the amazing spa on premises. I really must say that this is the cherry on the cake-the friendliest and most professional staff I have ever met- every one of my four massages that week sent me in to a deeper state of peace. What a way to enjoy my vacation! You will not be upset with this choice for your next Costa Rican visit- Fugedaboutit!

just ok

by TripAdvisor Member jeaniebeanie74

this hotel is not in the village of puerto viejo, but about a mile outside, off a very dusty pot-hole ridden road. during the day, it's cute, but at night very difficult to see around the property. there are solar lights but they are very dim, and really hard to see where your bungalow is, and the paths aren't lit well enough. you have to be pretty careful walking around there, especially after it rains. BRING A FLASHLIGHT.

the guy at the front desk didn't seem to be very helpful. kind of shy and didn't have very much information for us. he screwed up a reservation for us, which was later corrected by another person at the front desk. everyone there is pretty laid back, but definitely not in a hurry to go out of their way to help you.

the food, by costa rican standards, is expensive there. but it is nice that they deliver it to your bungalow.

don't bother asking for a wake up call. you won't get one.

the bungalows are very dimly lit, and the bedside lamps are terribly hot--almost melted the mosquito netting on the bed.

the porch was great--lots of room, great outdoor seating and comfortable.

the bathroom was cute, but the shower was terrible. NO HOT WATER, not even lukewarm water. if you like cold showers, that's what you'll get. Not only that, but the shower had very light pressure, and it took 30 minutes for me to just rinse the shampoo out. you could hardly feel the water coming down, and it was not adjustable in any way. there were live wires exposed at the top of the shower head, which was also pretty dangerous.

only 1 small mirror placed high in the bathroom. i'm short, so i could only see half of my face. there was no full-length or quarter length mirror anywhere in the bungalow and that was really inconvenient.

the toiletries they provide suck. bring your own.

the one nice thing was the beach across the road was really great, though the riptide is heavy and too dangerous to swim in. but the water was gloriously warm (warmer than the shower) and beach very uncrowded.

the jungle spa on-site is wonderful--that was the best part. you can't charge services to your room, though.

prepare to bring plenty of cash to pay for your room, otherwise you'll be charged a hefty 16% fee to use a credit card as payment. the front desk does not exchange money, including traveler's checks.

Comments