Cahuita Hotels

Our Members Say

• I_luv_travelling profile photo I_luv_travelling
  • Reviews: 2

Bungalow Aché: Surrounded by the national park

We stayed 4 nights at bungalow Aché and loved it. The room was clean and we had a mini-fridge. Mosquito nets are included and are a must since many bugs in Cahuita at night.
It felt very intimate since there are only 3 bungalows + the reception/host house.
You can see the howler monkeys upclose and personal. They are the roosters around there and will wake you up early but it's part of the experience.

Very close to nature. Easy to walk everywhere.

• Related to: Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written February 10, 2012

• lotharlerch profile photo lotharlerch
  • Reviews: 907

Cabinas Tito: Convenient stay close to the centre

Cabinas are small lodges in many touristic regions of Costa Rica, mostly basic but adequate and normally a good price/quality relation. Showerd usually have only one temperature which is close to the temperature of the air outside which means that you normally feel fine. Often a breakfast is included in the price.

Cabinas Tito are convenientlysituated in a big garden and close to the centre of Cahuita and the beach.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches, National/State Park
  • Written January 7, 2010

Breakfast at Cabinas Tito

• junglefever001 profile photo junglefever001

Hotel Magellan Inn: Magellan; Cahuita's best by far

I went to Costa Rica with my husband and 8 yr old girl, we went to several places in both the Pacific and Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. Cahuita was my favorite town, I swear you feel the vibration of the nature's soul, I'm not a hippie or anything, I'm just in love with the Caribbean.
As for the Hotel, its beautiful, not the cheapest you can find, but certainly the best.
It is clean, beautiful and peaceful. They have the option of AC (which I recommend, since it can get really hot in the Caribbean), continental breakfast included with the option of paying for extras, no TV, but honestly, who needs it? you can watch TV back home.
The gardens and pool area a so peaceful, a real "getaway", I saw so much wildlife just sitting in the terrace of my room.
The service is also great, the owner is incredibly friendly and truly helpful.
You should visit their website.

Parrots, stunning garden, pool, coffee-maker in every room, option of AC, option of extra-bed ($20, I took this option for my daughter, the bed neither here nor there), close to the beach, parking, they'll call taxis for you if you require one, book exchange, wireless internet.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, National/State Park, Eco-Tourism
  • Written September 6, 2009

• Lidrokz profile photo Lidrokz
  • Reviews: 49

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sol y Mar Cabinas: Cheap, Clean....mucho Safe!

We really like the Sol y Mar. The rooms are very clean & have a nice ocean breeze. It's a super safe hotel too, there is no worries leaving your belongings in the room as there is no way any one gets on the property without one of the Ferguson family members knowing about.

Great view of the ocean & the National Park entrance. There are usually one double bed & two singles per room. The windows are barred for extra safety. If you get the corner room up on the balcony then you can sit on either side & see either the park entrance or watch the goings on below you on main street. At night this end where the Sol y Mar is located is very quite compared to the other end of Cahuita's main street. Lots of hot water too.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written March 22, 2009

view from the Sol y Mar- Nat'l Park entrance

• Pieter11 profile photo Pieter11
  • Reviews: 1236

Smith Cabinas: At Joyce's place

One of the cheapest place to stay in Cahuita also is a very nice place: Cabinas Smith is located close to the busstop in Cahuita. Go two blocks to the north and the to the east and you're there. The hotel has several rooms that are built around a central garden. At the other side of this garden the owner Joyce lives with her husband and her parents; who often hang around in the shade here.

The rooms are 15 dollars per night for a double bedroom with a private bathroom. The rooms are clean, spacious and very good value for money. You have your own terrace in front of your room, a nice, hot shower and a very nice bed.

Joyce is a very friendly woman who speak both Spanish and English. She is really helpful and when the electricity fell out during a heavy rain we had a candle in the bedroom within two minutes. And also: when we wanted to go to Bocas del Toro for two days it was no problem to leave our luggage in their house for these days.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Road Trip
  • Written May 13, 2008

Cabinas Smith

• FrankStar profile photo FrankStar
  • Reviews: 5
La Casa Caribe: VBRO Rental in Cahuita to Avoid

This house was rented through the VBRO website, which it is understood has no control of it's renters and is just a board for posting. The house portrayed in the website is lovely and quite reasonable.What we found 1. Bathroom reeking of urine, the floor around and behind the toilet dirty with hair, dirt, sand, urine. The toilet see cover was broken, sitting behind the toilet. The shower was dirty with sand and in the corners of the room accumulated debris such as dirt, hair, and sand. 2. The bedrooms were equally dirty in the corners of the rooms, the bedding a set of sheets. 3. The light fixture in the larger bedroom sparked and flamed when we turned the light on. 4. We had been told to bring our own beach towels since the sand is hard on them and the renter did not want their own destroyed, which made sense. However, the towels left for our use were ripped at the edges, faded. 5. While it is understood the house is in the tropics, and can't be expected to be kept to Western standards the flip side is that the house needs care. The owners, we were informed had not updated since the house was bought 2 years previously and hadn't been to visit the house in over a year. They did not hire a representative to take care of upkeep but had a local woman come in and pick up after each renter left. The house looked dilapidated and in need of a paint job. 6. The mattresses on the beds were stained with springs poking through, dipping where they sagged. 7. The kitchen is said to be well stocked for cooking. Unfortunately, the items in the kitchen were old and looked like they were ready for the thrift store, mismatched. 8. Cockroaches are a normal part of the tropics and fortunately the store up the road carried a product that killed them and we didn't see any after a few applications. The house lost water the before the first week was out, forcing us to leave the house and seek lodging elsewhere. We cleaned up, took photos of the place and left the key with the previous owners.

Upon arriving at the house at 8:00pm, I took a look around and walked to the nearest store to buy cleaning supplies, bug spray and cleaned until 12:00. We learned that the gecko's are great at pooping on everything from the eves and the bats poop and pee as well, requiring that we cover things. The bathroom was much nicer after the urine was cleaned up from around the floor and the whole place swept out, including the accumulation in the edges, corners, window sills, etc. I couldn't do anything about the missing window panes. I met the previous owners who were apologetic about the house and voiced distress that people were expected to rent the place in the condition it was in. Fortunately when the light in the downstairs bedroom sparked, I was able to contact them and the husband replaced the fitting. They also said I was not the first to have complained and that others simply would not pay the second half of the rent after seeing the condition of the house. Unfortunately, I had paid in full, which was a mistake. Before we left Cahuita, I wrote the owners and was told the house was exactly as portrayed in the website. The house is noted as typical "ticco" style, which is the norm for the area and all I described was an exaggeration or normal. They agreed to refund one week of rent within 4-6 weeks. After 6 weeks I wrote asking about the progress of the refund and received a letter stating that I would have to wait for the refund, which I never received. In the end we paid for 900.00 for two weeks in a house that was far under any acceptable standard that we had to leave after a week because the city water went out. The house was curiously missing furniture from the photos on the site and as noted by the previous owners, the place needs a good painting to add to the upkeep, cleaning and repairs.

• Written September 29, 2007

Kitchen after we cleaned

• kgduke profile photo kgduke
  • Reviews: 35

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Spencer Seaside: Can't get a hotel closer to the ocean!

A great little place literally 20 feet from the Caribbean ocean. The rooms are clean and good sized. The grounds host more than a dozen hammocks to relax in. The upper story rooms also have hammocks on the veranda.

An air-conditioned internet cafe is right on site with around 10 computers. I've never seen it full so it's a great option. $1 per 1/2 hour - honor system.

The proprieters are friendly and helpful. All rooms have fans, though no mosquito nets. Even during the rainy season, however, I didn't encounter many mosquitos. The bed are comfortable and the showers are hot.

Certainly the best facets of this place are 1) its location, 2) the plethora of hammocks swinging between the trees, and 3) its proximity to Cahuita national park and the beach.

Each room has brightly colored murals and paintings on the walls. To hear the sounds of the waves at night was great. Although I'm not normally an early riser, it was worth it to get up to see sunrise over the ocean twice during my stay.

• Related to: Budget Travel, National/State Park, Backpacking
  • Written August 31, 2007

• underachiever2006 profile photo underachiever2006

Kelly Creek Hotel: Caihuita´s Best Accomodation: Kelly Creek Hotel

We just returned from a trip to Caihuita, and stayed at the Kelly Creek Hotel for two nights. It was steps away from the National Park Beach and the Rainforest Trail. Literally, it´s the closest you can get to the beach without actually being on the beach. At night, you can hear the waves crashing as you fall asleep. The rooms are very nice, with mosquito nets around the beds, and our room had a loft area as well. All rooms have luxurious private bathrooms, with sunroofs overhead, so the bathroom radiates the entire room with light. Rooms are cleaned daily, and the owners - a very nice couple from Spain - have two dogs, a parrot named Verde who speaks fluent Spanish (!), and every morning, food is placed out on the big tree in front of the hotel for the large Iguanas that live nearby. So while having breakfast at the adjoining restaurant, you have full view of all the large lizards that come and feast on the food. Definitely a great perk to staying here. Price per room was $45 per night for two adults.

We actually stayed at Spencer´s Sea Lodge on our first night and hated it. The room is BARE, and if you look down between the floor boards, you can see the ground below. The bathroom smells of a septic tank, and there were dead insects lining our window sill. Definitely take a good look at the room before you agree to stay there. It is cheap - $30 per night, but for $15 more....you can stay at Kelly Creek for a much better experience.

I loved all the animals at Kelly Creek. Ruby is a cute little cocker spaniel, Salvia is an older boxer, and Verde is the Spanish-speaking Parrot. The dogs lounge around the restaurant area or in front of the hotel. Verde loves talking, and will say "Hola!" or "Hello!" repeatedly to get your attention.

The hotel is all polished wood - floors, walls, and ceiling. Showers have warm and cold water, and includes a low faucet in the shower to wash off all the sand from your feet. Very handy!

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, National/State Park
  • Written August 6, 2007

• easterntrekker profile photo easterntrekker
  • Reviews: 2084

Hotel Cabinas Vaz: New Hotel good price

This is a great deal for a brand new hotel ...right by the bus stop . The rooms are basic but spotless , all tiled with ceiling fans , nice bathrooms and hot water

Great location!! And only $25.00 a night for a double . There's a single and a double bed in the room.

• Related to: Singles, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written January 28, 2007

• Kindra profile photo Kindra
  • Reviews: 600

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Spencer Seaside lodge: Ocean front

This facility is famous and more popular with travelers because it is right on the ocean. However, I found that it was more expensive and not as nice as the cabins Sol y Mar (my recommendation). For $20-30, you can get a cabin with balcony, double beds and private hot water bath. Hammocks dot the front part of the property and internet is free for guests.

• Written September 14, 2006

View from Spencer's

• easterntrekker profile photo easterntrekker
  • Reviews: 2084

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Magellan Inn: Peaceful out of the way

We stayed here for three nights and enjoyed it for the most part .

It is a small but elegant inn. The rooms are quite lovely , king sized beds and private terraces.

The Hotel's restaurant "Casa Creole" offers Seafood, French Creole and International Cuisine in an elegant candle lit ambiance.

The only downfall is location . They are two kilometers north of Cahuita. They can arrange a drive however to take you to town.

Elegance in a rustic town.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Women's Travel, Seniors
  • Written July 11, 2006

Flowers everywhere

• Kindra profile photo Kindra
  • Reviews: 600

Cabinas Mar y Sol: Clean and good value

Great value for people traveling in 2-4 people. There are 8 cabins at this location that are very clean, equipped with hot water shower, fan and up to 3 beds. Cost for 3 people was $20 a night.

• Written June 6, 2006
Tip Photo

The second floor porch overlooking the main road

• Sininen profile photo Sininen
  • Reviews: 727

Linda's Secret Garden: COSY ROOM NEAR THE SEA

I had a spacious tastefully decorated room. Hot water, well warm, but in that heat I didn't need hot water anyway. The room was clean. I got my own key so I could come and go as I pleased. The young couple who kept the guesthouse were friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay there and can recommend it to the other budget travellers too.

• Related to: Photography, Birdwatching, National/State Park
  • Written November 2, 2005

Sign - Linda's Secret Garden

• raincat profile photo raincat

The Alby Lodge, Cahuita: Paradise on a budget

It was “Green Season” (July ’04) and we arrived in Cahuita in a driving rain having bussed in from San Jose. We had booked a cabin at the Alby Lodge for a two-night stay (originally), and although we had seen a brochure we really weren’t sure what to expect.
After dragging our bags for about three blocks through the mud, dirt and water to the end of a two track at the edge of the national park, we turned the corner and walked through the arch marked “Alby Lodge” and were stunned. The beautiful Thai style buildings sat in a lush, well manicured tropical garden. The thatched roofed cabins are separated by vegetation, which provides a fair amount of privacy. Each cabin has two full sized beds with mosquito netting, a private bath, and an ample front porch with a table, bench seating and hammock. While not luxurious, the cabin was clean, well maintained and hey, it’s the Caribbean, what more do you really need?
Suffice it to say that we fell in love with Cahuita and the Alby Lodge and found ourselves begging the gracious proprietor Yvonne to let us stay for just a couple more nights. We ended up staying for seven nights total.

The green season rates were in effect, so our cabin was $35 per night including taxes for the two of us. As I mentioned before, the Lodge borders Cahuita National Park and while YOU may understand that the fence line is the park boundary, it means nothing to the animals, the howler monkeys in particular. After a couple nights two troupes of howlers, about sixteen in all decided to make camp in the two ficus trees next to our cabin. Howlers are the loudest land animal and there’s really no way to describe their vocalization. And considering that it’s their nature to announce themselves at about 4:00am each morning there’s really no way to prepare for the wakeup call these guys provide.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, National/State Park, Budget Travel
  • Written May 3, 2005

Cabin and gardens

• ABankerMU profile photo ABankerMU
  • Reviews: 26

Hotel National Park: Cahuita, Costa Rica

A small place with simple, clean rooms. Get a room on the second floor, nearest the parking lot, with a newly remodeled balcony overlooking the Caribbean. The hotel staff are more than accomodating, one even invited us to go to a reggae festival in Puerto Viejo with him (to which we went and had a great time). The hotel restaurant has great food, but the atmosphere isn't as impressive as some of the other restaurants in town. We paid $35/night/double. MC, V accepted. I am going back March 2004 and staying here again for my time in Cahuita.

Leave a comment and let me know if there is something that I could add to make this tip better!

Steps from the beach