3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

El Establo
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Gorgeous hotel

We stay´d in MOnteverde for a couple of nights, we loved the area (we´re birdwatchers) and clearly we made the best choice by staying at this hotel, it has a great view plus graet land to walk around we saw quite a few interesting birds just at the hotel grounds, we also made a visit to the cloud forest whitch was just great... we also had a graet time at the zip lines at the hotel.. plus excelent attention..
    a must in monteverde...

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Mountain hotel

Unique Quality: The rooms have a breathtaking view of the Gulf of Nicoya and spectacular sunset views from the balcony. It's the only hotel in that area with a swimming pool, and it is even heated. They have a lake as well as private cloud forest trails

Directions: Between Santa Elena and Monteverde National Park

• caution

Caution. We stayed at the El Establo Oct. 24, 2005 because of Fodor's recomendation in travel guide. Were we fooled! The room looked good until we saw, after settling in, 30-100 wasps in the ceiling! Wasps species here have a very painful sting and we informed the desk imediately. They said not to worry.
    Additionally, we booked a 3 and1/2 hour tour of the cloud forest reserve and the tour guide, Ian, left us 45 min. before the tour was to be over. When we voiced our complaint, a man claiming to be the owner of the hotel physically pushed my senior citizen husband almost knocking him down! Needless to say, we left immediately.

• elji's Profile Photo

Hotel El Establo - Your Home on the Mountain

We stayed for 2 nights at Hotel El Establo in Monteverde, which was wonderful. We paid only 58 dollars I think per night for the standard room, which includes breakfast. There is an older part of the hotel, and a newer part which is more luxurious. I think even the more luxurious rooms are only like 100 dollars per night. We had the less expensive room in the older part. It was very spacious and had a great shower and satellite TV; however it was nearer to the road and had a little more noise for that.

Unique Quality: The staff were extremely gracious, and we also very much enjoyed the vegetarian restaurant, Flor de Vida, across the street. You can arrange a good tour of Monteverde through the desk downstairs. Spa services are available at reasonable prices. There is a jacuzzi available also; to use it costs 10 dollars for one half hour. There is also a laundry service for $10 for a load. The staff at the front desk are very fluent in English.

I would definitely be likely to stay there again. It is a very comfortable hotel. Their motto is "Your home on the mountain" and that describes it well.

Directions: About a mile from the center of Santa Elena

More about Hotel El Establo

Do not stay at El Establo Mountain Hotel!!!!!!!

Stayed at El Establo last week for 3 nights - what a mistake!!! Overrun by tour buses and several high school trips taking place there - we didn't sleep for 3 nights with all of the noise going on. We complained to management but nothing was done.

Mountain hotel

by Helga67 about El Establo

El Establo is a Quaker / Costa Rican family owned Lodge. This is one of the best hotels in the Monteverde region. Rooms are spacious and clean and the (junior) suits are the best. The rooms are in two buildings uphill and the reception, shop and restaurant are downhill. You have to take a long flight of outdoor cement stairs and there is no cover. If it is raining, it can be awkward to make it down these stairs. The rooms have a breathtaking view of the Gulf of Nicoya and spectacular sunset views from the balcony. It's the only hotel in that area with a swimming pool, and it is even heated. They have a lake as well as private cloud forest trails.

Loved El Establo

by TripAdvisor Member HappyTrailsTraveler

This is a truly beautiful hotel in wonderful surroundings. The cloud forest and scenery in Monteverde is awesome. Hotel is top notch with great restaurant! Rooms are very large and modern. Pool is exceptionally beautiful and heated! The hotel owns it's own Treetops Sky Trek which is a great experience for adults and kids. I can't say enough good about this hotel and the management of it!

Monteverde home of the rainforest and a nice hotel

by SumTingWong about Hotel El Establo

I highly reccomend staying at the Hotel El Establo in Monteverde. It really is an excellent family-run place. I gaurentee excellent rooms, food, and service! This place was great (OK I'm really stressing that). The hotel was origionally built by quakers and it is now a family-run place, with a great atmoshphere. There are many lounges to sit and talk, relax, watch TV, and play some cards. The restaurant has good food too. There is a discoteque a 7 minute walk away, but I felt that that place was a bit "shady". The pool is refreshing after a day in the jungle. Tours can be arranged from the hotel too! Pool, small jungle paths, great rooms and atmoshpere, good food, etc...

This website has a lot of info: www.monteverdeinfo.com/establo

Prices for Standard, Junior Suite, Master Suite
Single $60 $86.67 $113.34
Double $80 $120 $160
Triple $100 $140 $186.70
Quadruple $120 $160 $213.36
inc breakfast!

Monteverde's Nicest Stable?

by kc0ltv about El Establo Inn

This is a small hotel sited high up in the tourist-oriented district of Monteverde (the address is in "San Pedro", but I have come to call it simply "Monteverde". It is not a particularly amazing place to stay, but there is a decent restaurant there, and the rooms we had all had a door leading directly into a large yard (on a steep hill) outside, which provided very beautiful sunset views, as the picture shows. The service there was nice, despite a few of my foibles, such as locking myself and travel partners out of our room, and flushing toilet paper down the toilet (you can't do this in much of Costa Rica). According to the hotel's website, viewed a year after my trip, there is a "private forest" with a lake and trails, but I was not aware of this. It was a guided trip...

El EstabloEl Establo

Hotel El EstabloHotel El Establo

Arenal and Monteverde

by Anjulis

I have 5 nights for both. Is it better to spend 2 in Arenal+3 in MV, or 3+2 or doesn't matter?

RE: Arenal and Monteverde

by kc0ltv

That's a hard question. Both are very beautiful and well worth a visit.

When I was in CR, we spent a night in the Arenal Observatory Lodge (strongly recommended) and one or two in El Establo in Monteverde. If you stay at a place like the Lodge, which is isolated out in nature from any city, you won't be able to walk down to a restaurant or bar, but it's not that bad of a punishment, considering the beautiful views of volcanic eruptions and the trails in the area. I believe most lodging near Monteverde is either in the city of the same name or another which escapes me at the time, and I at least know the first has a lot of things to do. On the other hand, I enjoyed hiking around Arenal more than I did in the cloud forest, which was beautiful and all, and riding the Sky Trek through the canopy was thrilling beyond words, but the area is more of an endless green, whereas on the path near Arenal we walked through a variety of biomes. Sorry to say, but I think you will be happy with either choice.

RE: RE: Arenal and Monteverde

by mim95

hmm...it depends on what your plan is. I spent more time in La Fortuna (the town next to Arenal) coz I took some side trips further away. If your interest is solely the rainforest, then it really doesn't matter. Take a look at my La Fortuna page for info about my side trips.

RE: RE: Arenal and Monteverde

by Anjulis

My main interest is to entertain kids :-)

RE: Arenal and Monteverde

by guslinssen

Also between the two is the area along Lake Arenal between Tilaran and Arenal. There are stops for all kinds of sports activities, windsurfing, kiteboarding, swimming, mountain biking, tennis etc. See www.sabalito.com

Have a great time in Costa Rica!

Augustinus