Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge

Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Santa Elena, , Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Hotels.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Monteverde

tree frogtree frog

tree is dying from top by the fern engulfing ittree is dying from top by the fern engulfing it

about to fall 25 feet.about to fall 25 feet.

bridgesbridges

Day trip Arenal to Monteverde- Please Help!

by LaurieD8

Trying to work a day trip from arenal to Monteverde.
We want to work it that we leave our arenal hotel early am and get to Monteverde to do a guided hike and bridges....
[we probably don't have time for a zipline but maybe somewhere else is just as impressive... near playa conchal or in arenal??]

I know to go and return to arenal in a day is a lot but please someone help us make it happen!!!
We have the idea we can do it but we have had no tour operator to help us make a day schedule.

Please help!!!!!! Please tell us it is possible too haha ;))

by gfinesilver

it seems a bit crazy, and i don't know if it's possible. can you go to monteverde and stay there?

by ck213

I truly don't think it possible, nor worth it to do this. You'd be getting there just to tag it and then return. The ziplines in Monteverde are without a doubt the best in CR. If time doesn't allow I would just stay put in Arenal. I did a horseback ride and hike there that was outstanding. Good bridge crossings, gorgeous waterfall, and even zipline if you desire. Arenal was my favorite anyway :)

by costaricalearn

Contact Sunset Tours (on web)in La Fortuna (Arenal area) tell them what you want to do. there is something: You get on boat and cross Lake Arenal, then go by jeep to Monteverde (and vice versa) ask Sunset if this can be done in one day, and do the activities you want to do. I write a popular travel blog on Costa Rica. Think it would be helpful for you to read it. I write a lot on the Arenal area. You can find me a worldwideweb costaricalearn dot com Have a very nice trip and hope you make it to Monteverde for the day. Ann

by manosdeangel

I am pretty sure that is possible if you hire a private driver because he will leave on your clock not the predetermined times that the shuttle runs. Private drivers can often get you a better price on tours as well because they work closely with the companies. In that area I used Wilmer Flores for tour booking and transfers he was highly recommended and I have now used him several times. His contact info is Willy Flores email: w_opciones@yahoo.com
www.labajuraours.com (he is working on new website) 506)8354-7232
FOR SURE do the zip line in Monteverde its so great and right next to the butterfly farm and there are humming birds everywhere.

Travel Tips for Monteverde

Gotta love those baby sloths

by frank_delargy

As we were traveling along, close to Monteverdi we noticed a boy by the side of the road with a strange looking animal in his arms. We stopped and chatted with him. It turns out that it was a baby sloth, which you are of course not allowed to keep as pets, however, this one was blind and had been abandoned by it's mother. Or so the story goes.. Anyway, we were happy to give the kid some change for milk to feed the sloth. After we pulled out, we noticed the next car on the road saw it and pulled over to stop..:-)

Never was a title more apt: "Cloudforest"

by zrim

Walking in a cloud. Walking in a forest. I always think about quiet and solitude when I envision a forest. Imagine a cloud descending upon a favorite patch of forest and shrouding it with wisps of soft mist. Now add a constant drip, drip, drip of water descending from leaf to leaf until gentling finding its way to the forest floor. The cloudforest is a little bit of serenity and it should be treated with gentle footsteps.

Camera Hints

by grandmaR

Soft side bags Sandals that can get wet . The mud in the rain forest is pretty sticky. It took me a long time to clean it off my sandals, and it wasn't even that muddy when we were there.

No denim jeans - they are too heavy and take too long to dry. Insect repellant. Leave makeup and hair dryers at home. Settle for a well-scrubbed look. Be sure you know how to use your camera before you leave especially if you have just switched to digital.

Take plenty of film (I had 18 rolls for 13 days, and it wasn't too much). Take extra camera batteries. It is really irritating to have your battery die, and replacements will be expensive and may not be fresh. Take slower film for boat trips and places you will be outdoors in the sun (otherwise it may be overexposed), and take really fast film (at least 400) for the rain forest. It's dark in there. You may need a telephoto lens to take pictures of birds at a distance. You will need very fast film for that too.

Mariposario

by grets

A guided tour with one of the students was a fascinating insight into the life cycle of the butterfly and the importance of this beautiful little insect. The information centre has exhibits of various stages of the development of the butterfly and the tour is a very hands-on experience.

The hour-long tour includes a visit to the greenhouse where the butterflies are raised before going outside to the enclosed garden. There are many different types of butterfly here and they are not shy to be photographed.

Frogs!

by Tom_In_Madison

The Rainarium.

A frog compound. Has many varieties of frogs. Come in afternoon or early evening when they are most active. Has over 28 species of frogs & toads, including the Poison Dart Frog ad the cute red-eyed tree frog.

Open 9am - 8:30pm