Hotel Kasha

5 km after Puerto Viejo, Playa Chiquita, Puerto Viejo, Province of Limon, 1991, Costa Rica

Satisfaction Average

• Nightmare Wedding :(

I have no words to describe the experience we had. We were promised 5 cabins, only 3 available when we arrived. In laws had to stay at Hotel cameleon for the entire time, costing triple what they had budgeted.

Nails sticking out of the floor, toilet broken and were told 'this is costa rica' when we asked about getting anything fixed.

I'm not saying don't book your wedding here, I'm saying DON'T STAY HERE AT ALL.

Save your money, it's not worth ruining your vacation like we did...

Unique Quality: Awful attitude, no compassion. Our wedding was a disaster thanks to this place.

Directions: Out of the way, awful beach

• As Bad As It Gets

By any standard, Hotel Kasha is a dump. The bungalows were old, battered and dirty. We were led to believe we'd have air conditioning. We didn't. Nails protruded from the bathroom vanity, there was no hot water, water barely trickled from shower head and faucets, the ceiling fan was barely functional. The badly stained pillows had no pillow cases and what passed for bedding was digustingly stained as were our two small thin towels. A filthy hair dryer was attached to the bathroom wall but didn't work. The so-called room safe was a wooden box added to a wooden shelf. We fled after two days of a five-day booking when there was no water at all. The hotel promised that our credit card would be credited accordingly (they could not issue a credit immediately because banks were closed for a holiday); it was not. The pictures Kasha shows must be 30 years old, and it's doubtful that repairs or painting, etc. have been done since then. The swimming pool water was murky (at best) and UNFILTERED, with pool side furniture so old that the finishes were crackled AND dirty, and you really wouldn't want to sit on any furniture surfaces that were not hard plastic. The hotel is not on the beach, which is reached by crossing the road and traversing 100, maybe 200 yards through heavy woods on a path that hotel staff would not point out (paths are not marked) because rip tides make that beach unsafe. The hotel restaurant was fairly good but overpriced and they tended to forget things like napkins. In all my years of traveling the world, I have never seen a greater disparity between what was promised and reality. That this place could claim to have won any sort of award for anything is preposterous in the extreme. It is, quite simply, grotesque. Any organization or agent that books rooms there does the traveling public an immense disservice.

Unique Quality: A nice lady named Amy sort of ran the office and was a delightful booster for the area. A nice waiter and bartender were its other attributes. However, God himself could not have made up for the horrors of this place, and I find it impossible to believe that anyone could find anything favorable to say about any aspect of it unless they'd been hired or were somehow related to the ownership.

• Best Hotel Around!

Hotel kasha is a wonderful place to stay. The owner (Louis) and his staff provide the best service around. I have been there twice, and continue going back each year. The accommodations are amazing. Built by the owner himself, the beautiful landscape and bungalows are nestled right amongst the Caribbean jungle. Oh, and the food is absolutely amazing! I cannot even describe the delicious meals that are prepared by the wonderful people that work there. I have spent my last 2 birthdays at Hotel Kasha and each time it was very special. The hotel staff is almost like family – and the treatment you get there cannot be beaten. I recommend this hotel to ANYONE. You will not be disappointed.

Unique Quality: Great staff, excellent food, beautiful landscape

• falucskai's Profile Photo

Costa Rica's East Coast Paradise

I visited this hotel last year. I like nature, and wanted to discover the East side of Costa Rica, that is not "touched" by our western civilization. I heard the West side is beautiful, but not much different than going to the Santa Monica Beach in LA.
    A friend of mine stayed in Hotel Kasha and loved the place, so I called the owner. I don't speak Spanish, and was worried about understanding each other, but for my surprise, the owner's English was better, than mine. He was very nice, and even gave me a discounted rate for my stay.
    His driver waited for me at the airport. His name was Belisario, and by the end of the trip my Spanish was getting better. It was a long drive, about 3-4 hours. The road system is not very well built, but it goes through a national park area, and the rainforest looks just like on the Discovery channel. Incredibly beautiful.
    The hotel is surrounded by the rain forest. It is beautifully noisy. But not bothersome, it is like listening to the ocean waves, soothing.
    The owner showed me to my room, which was very clean, and tastefully decorated. Nice firm bed. It had a pretty, clean, tiled bathroom, and warm shower water. But don't forget, the outside temperature is very humid and hot, so I always showered in cold water anyway. The pool was warm, and the garden well kept. Everybody was very, very friendly. They have a full bar open most of the time. The bar tender spoke fluent English, and was very good creating fancy cocktails. The chef was a French guy, and I loved his cooking.
    The owner showed me the beach, which is about 5 minutes casual walk from the hotel. It is untouched, pure and divine.
    The hotel organized a tour to the rainforest, to see a waterfall, and a medicine man, and one midnight tour to see the giant turtles. It was wonderful.
    The whole group, visitors, owner and guests became like a big family. Very nice wibes and energy.
    I highly recommend this place to anybody who want to visit the East coast of Costa Rica.

Unique Quality: clean wellkept garden,
    nice pool,
    picknik area
    open bar
    TV with cable-channels at the bar area (not that I cared for that)
    close to beaches,
    close to the village (5 minutes)
    in the heart of rain-forest

24 hours security

• Horrible experience - don't stay at Hotel Kasha!

Horrible. This hotel is advertised as 4 star hotel, but in reality it is more like a budget accommodation. Small, noisy rooms, no clean towels or hot water, poor breakfast, green swimming pool (not for swimming), unfriendly and lying owners (we decided to leave the hotel and we were promissed a refund for our last night which never came). Don't stay here if you don't want your vacation ruined.

Unique Quality: nothing outstanding

More about Hotel Kasha

Never Lets Me Down!

by izm_mc about Hotel Kasha

Once again my stay at Hotel Kasha during Jan/Feb of this year was amazing! My family and I travel to Costa Rica every year and Puerto Viejo is by far our favorite place. Our love for the place is partly due to the wonderful town and it's people and partly due to Louis and his hospitality at Hotel Kasha. We love the place so much and it holds a very special place in our hearts.

Combine the beauty of the town and beaches with the beauty of Hotel Kasha and it's great staff - you will get a peaceful and wonderful vacation. You can't go wrong! Excellent food, great staff and wonderful location.

Comments