Tortuguero, Costa Rica

Hotelsclick.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• grets's Profile Photo

Trapped between the lagoon and the sea

Accommodation in bungalows with en suite bathrooms with hot water. Set in very nice grounds, with pool and access directly to the beach on the Caribbean coast. The lodge has 12 acres of forest gardens with hammocks scattered amongst the trees.

Restaurant and bar overlooking the lagoon.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

More relaxed and still very comfortable

This is a very comfortable lodge. The food was very good, the hammocks are lovely and shaded, there are benches and rocking chairs by the water, and the pool is wonderful. I highly recommend this lodge, and I have not heard anyone disparage it on any account.

Price-wise, a three day-two night trip with round trip transportation from San Jose was just about $240 including everything. Meals, tours, lodging were all included. If you want to go on a night tour to see the turtles, it's extra.

Also, tipping your guide(s) is usual. It ends up being between $5-$20 a person, depending on the size of your group.

Unique Quality: The pool is lovely. There is a bar, a waterfall at one end, shaded tables, chairs for sun worshippers, and a wonderful butterfly garden to the side.

Directions: You are picked up in San Jose and they take you there through the park. A guide explains the sights and answers questions.

More about Laguna Lodge Tortuguero

Tortuguero Eco Lodge

by hotrodgirl about Laguna Lodge

Wonderful cabins, clean, with hot water! There's a meeting place for lectures, etc that's air conditioned, and a bar that sits out over the canal. You can take a trail to the Caribbean, or enjoy the canal system. The food was family style and very good. The staff is accomodating, and the guides excellent! A great find! There's a nice pool with a little island in it, a beautiful butterfly garden to walk through, and grounds planted with exotic flowers and bushes.

Tortuguero is true nature

by TempNomad

I went on a pre-planned package tour of Tortuguero. I was dreading the experience and thought that I would be trapped by silly events and boring tours. I was so wrong!

It was a wonderful experience. It began with an open boat ride to the lodge and then I found a bat in my room. The meals are all served family style, and included in the packages. A well-prepared guide gives a short tour to the town of Tortuguero and an early morning canal boat ride to observe the wildlife at breakfast. There is also a walking tour up a hill, and if you're lucky, you might get to go out on the open water to see it from afar.

Definitely invest in a night-tour to see the turtles. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS of your guide, and please don't take a tour with some renegade. There are no photos allowed, and no flashlights. Some people in a group ahead of ours started digging with the turtle and I thought the guides were going to throttle them.

On a happier note, the experience of watching this amazing animal go through an arduous ritual of life is moving and puts you in your place.

Other animals I saw were alligators, that "fish" that goes on land and in the sea, turtles, tapir, all kinds of frogs, and tons more that I can't remember by name.

I recommend the package from Laguna Lodge. www.lagunalodge.com.
Highly recommended!

Tropical Vacations by Hopabout

by hopabout

Please feel free to e-mail me at . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . mycostaricaplans@yahoo.com . . . . . .
with any questions you may have on Costa Rica. I am happy to help you.

Paradise does not describe this truly beautiful country. Tropical, warm, restful and romantic, Costa Rica has something for everyone!

---My sincere thanks to La Rosa de America, Hotel Don Carlos, Laguna Lodge and Phil Wilcox from California who contributed to the picture album.

Cabins at Laguna LodgeCabins at Laguna Lodge

Laguna Lodge GroundsLaguna Lodge Grounds

My friend Sandy relaxing in hammock @ Laguna LodgeMy friend Sandy relaxing in hammock @ Laguna Lodge

Costa Rica Guidebook

by mangolian

Hi there,

I was going to purchase the Moon handbooks Costa Rica guide for our trip because of the good reviews that it gets, but noticed that it was last published in 2001. Would it be too outdated? Any suggestions? Just curious what others think....

Re: Costa Rica Guidebook

by somewhere

I've never used the Moon Guidebooks. My fave so far have been the Lonely Planet, although I did have some problems with my LP in Ireland (some doofus thought that updating the guidebook by merely converting pounds to euros without doing research was enough).
If you use your guidebook as a guide, I don't see why having a 2-year old guidebook would be a problem. As long as you realise that prices tend to go up over the years, you shouldn't have too many problems.
Phone numbers do change, but they're also easy to find. If you can't find the number to a hostel, phone another in the area and ask them for it.
What I'd do if I were you is that I'd go to a bookstore, get all the guidebooks on CR that I could find and browse through them. Look at how they're divided, what info they offer and the maps. You want a guidebook with decent maps.

Costa Rica is *so* awesome. Have fun!!

Re: Costa Rica Guidebook

by TempNomad

I was in Costa Rica in 2001 and used the 1999 Moon Handbook...it was fine. Keep in mind that while the tourism is very organized in CR, it's still fairly temporal. Some inns may be closed for vacation, or more permanent reasons. Museums may have changed entry fees or hours.

I really liked the Moon book, the commentary was very informative. The bus info was also really great. Take a look at the pages here; a lot of really good information. Have a great time!

I highly suggest Tortuguero - with Laguna Lodge. Also, if you want something different, try Limon (Puerto Viejo/Cahuita) because the culture is so different. Enjoy!

Comments