Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica

Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
Tingo.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• Close enough to Corcovado with lots of wildlife

We did not stay at Lapa Rios as it was above our budget, but my parents had stayed here last year and could not believe how much wildlife they saw. We stopped by recently and checked it out. What a place. Very nice people and incredible views. Someday, I will stay here as well.

Unique Quality: More wildlife that any other place in Costa Rica including Corcovado. Great sustainability progam. Staying there also makes you feel good about the environment and local community.

Directions: Puerto Jimenez, Matapalo, about 45 minutes before arriving to Carate.

More about Lapa Rios Ecolodge

Lovely Lapa Rios

by Costess about Lapa Rios Ecolodge

No matter how many reviews or articles you read, how many times you browse the website, how many pictures you've seen, nothing can prepare you for the actual experience of visiting Lapa Rios. The jungle of the Osa Peninsula is amazing, and to be able to enjoy the comfort of a luxury hotel, with the most amazing food, in this environment is just priceless. The staff is like family and will teach you unimaginable things about their rainforest and how the hotel takes action to protect it. I would definitely recommend this place as something to experience in your lifetime. Large bungalows in the middle of the jungle, infinity pool, gorgeous beach, monkeys and birds just outside your deck, great varied menu, more tours and activities than you have time for! To be able to do all this in a sustainable manner is admirable.

Lapa Rios is the place to...

by pOsThUmAn

Lapa Rios is the place to stay. Set in a private nature reserve spread over 1,000 acres of Central America's last remaining lowland tropical rainforest, Lapa Rios overlooks the pristine point where the Golfo Dulce meets the wild Pacific Ocean, making it the destination that matches every one's idea of paradise.
around USD 250 for a double. Well Worth it. All 14 thatched bungalows have an ocean view and are surrounded by the rain forest. Guests feel part of the outdoors as constant tropical breezes pass through screened window walls.

Loved Lapa Rios!

by TripAdvisor Member dlovvan

This was the best part of our trip to Costa Rica! The service here is incredible! The meals are five-star quality, fresh, and delicious! The location is pristine and peaceful. The tours are fun and the tourguides are skilled and informative. I highly recommend this site for nature-lovers, adventure-seekers, and those looking to obtain a break from the hustle and bustle of their busy lives.

AMAZING!

by TripAdvisor Member jmaglicic

My Husband and I were married in Costa Rica and honeymooned at Lapa Rios. Let me tell you that if you want to have to most amazing experience, you must go to Lapa Rios! From the moment we arrived to the moment we left our service was unbelivable! The rooms are great, and romantic as is ,the entire grounds. If you are one to worry about bugs, and the fact that you are in the jungle DON'T! I was a little nervous but as soon as we arrived I couldn't help feeling relaxed. It is soo beautiful and peaceful as soon as you get used to the noise of the jungle.. hehe. The food is also amazing. I liked it so much that I bought the cookbook. I really think that if anyone is considering going to Lapa Rios, they should and no doubt go, and soon after i guarantee that they too will be writing an amazing review!

Truly Amazing

by TripAdvisor Member aprilgirl

I have nothing to add to the superlatives already written. Just wanted to weigh in on this incredible place. We had no idea what to expect and could not have been more thrilled. Lapa Rios is quite expensive but once you learn about their involvement in the community, the extra cost makes sense. I cannot recommend this resort highly enough.

highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member mumblinggirl

I went here with my husband for our honeymoon. We absolutely loved it! The staff were fantastic. I was impressed with them even before we left home. They arranged the domestic flights for us which was very helpful. Once we arrived in the Osa peninsula they were there waiting for us. It was great that we didn't have to think about any of these details. Once we arrived at Lapa Rios we were given a little introduction to the place then we were shown to our room. The bungalows are so pretty and very comfortable. They each have decks overlooking the ocean. There are also lots of animals to see just outside of your bungalow. The first time that I stepped onto our deck I saw macaws flying overhead and a few monkeys in the trees nearby. We were amazed. The food is also wonderful. I miss having fresh mango juice every day.

Basically the things that are great about this place are: the grounds, the view of the ocean from where the resort is, the wildlife, the hikes (its too bad you have too pay so much to go on them, but definetly do the night walk, its awesome), the food, the coffee brought to your door in the morning, the excellent staff, the beautiful bungalows, and the fact that the place is very eco-friendly.

My only complaint is that the hikes are pretty expensive. Also if you are looking to hang out on the beach, go elsewhere. The beach is not that great. The view of it from atop the cliff on the other hand, is breathtaking. I personally am not a big beach person so I had no problem with this, but I overheard people complaining. This seems crazy to me as the website for Lapa Rios makes it clear that the beach is not one of the main attractions... Anyway all in all AMAZING place to stay!

Primal Connection

by TripAdvisor Member datwahine

IFYOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE BARE BONE REVIEW, SCROLL DOWN. FOR MORE INSIGHT, READ ON!!!
What an awesome experience! Since I'm from Hawaii, I have a deep appreciation for nature and a tendency to connect with the natural wonders of our world. However, I also love my hot showers, my clean linens, and fine dining! Lapa Rios met all of this! Even though I screamed a few times, having gotten older and more terrified (rather than possessing the curiosity of a child) of critters, I thoroughly used the opportunity of breathing in the beauty Lapa Rios offered from their well-appointed bungalow and their personal service to our needs.
Prior to our trip, I did a lot of researching. One of the ideas that formed in my head after reading materials on Lapa Rios was that the bunglows were situated down a steep path away from the main lodge and that bungalows #1-8, 15,16 were not going to require as much stamina to get to as bungalows 9-14. When we arrived I was thrilled that my children (15 & 13) and I were given the key to bungalow #3.
The truth is that the bungalows, with the exception of #1 & 2 which are situated near the main lodge, are basically on leveled ground and near one another. You get to and from them from about a 40-45% incline/decline which is really not so bad if you are in an average state of health. If you are an astma sufferer (which I am during certain seasons) using an inhaler or someone with a cast on his/her leg, okay, I can see where you would have trouble. Thankfully, there is no one rushing you so just take it slow and easy. Isn't that the objective anyway.
Our bungalow, like all the others, offer a magnificent view "overlooking the Matapalo point where the Golfo Dulce meets the Pacific Ocean" from our personal deck. From there, we saw red mawcaws, monkeys, green parrot-like birds, and a million and one cicadas that scream 24/7!
The restaurant creates meals that would be celebrated in fine restaurants anywhere outside of the rain forest! And that's no lie!
If I was not as shy as I am, I would have dared to order every dish be brought out and spread before me, and believe me, I would have eaten all of it. Seriously, the dinner menu changes every day but the breakfast and lunch stays the same. If you catch a fish, or even if you don't but the guide does, the cook(s) will prepare it in such a delicious way! BEWARE, if you order the huge and quite tasty pancake or french toast for breakfast you will have three types of syrup come with it which quite naturally will attract a few flying friends (huge black ant-like creatures with wings and quite possibly on steroids) who will not go away and will distract the person who ordered the meal and their companions, and yes, if you order the same dish the next day, they will return (my daughter thought they only came on certain days and so ordered the dish more than once!). My personal picks would be the following: corn cakes(breakfast), volcanoe salad with fish, fish sandwich (not the frozen type), freshly caught fish (yes, I love fish), and anything they have on the menu! Okay, if you didn't get the message, I'll restate it: The food is great (I received a salad that was not as fresh as the previous day, but remember that they travel quite a way to do their grocery shopping)! If you get there, don't forget to climb the wooden spiral stairway (30 feet up) to get an unforgettable view.

BARE BONES: Lapa Rios offers luxurious accomodations in the rain forest. Since it is a rain forest, expect to run into a few creatures that will take your breath away (mawcaws and monkeys that we saw) and others that will make you scream and/or run especially if it crashes into your face, lap, and even in your meal (so be careful to look closely at your food BEFORE you bite into it-once I was forking some of my salad when I noticed this huge sand-brown critter with long legs standing amongst the lettuce! I freaked out, looked again, but could not find it though I tossed my food around! Needless to say, I ate all of it! If I did eat the bugger, well, more protein to me!) BEFORE getting into bed check your bed (which the staff will sometimes turn down while you're at dinner). And when you awaken to the beautiful world around you, check the floors BEFORE you get out of bed. Basically, check around your room for uninvited guests like the black scorpion I discovered while using the bathroom. Just take precautions-you are in their environment so don't kill the buggers, just set them outside! This is a place we do plan on visiting again!

Exotic honeymoon spot

by TripAdvisor Member CFHM

Take the flight...driving here would be challenging and take a really long time! It's ashort flight from San Jose and the Lapa Rios staff meets you at the small airstrip and drives you to this incredible ecolodge where you are met with refreshing juice and an amazing view. The tours are great and the staff incredibly knowledgeable. The pool is very refreshing and the food outstanding!!!! The rooms are charming and the balcony is very private. Our room (number 2) had a family of monkeys visiting in the trees that hung over the roof several hours a day. The same tree was shared by curious coatis. Tucans landed there as well as did a very big iguana. Macaws flying in pairs through the sky are a frequent and awesome sight to see. (Stay in rooms 1-5! It gets far from the main lodge if you are in the higher number rooms.) The one drawback to all this beauty is dampness in the room. Keeping dry clothes in zipped suitcases is a must as is bug spray all day and all night...the mosquito nets around the beds are there for a reason. Still, I would stay again in a heartbeat.

Honey moon of a life time

by TripAdvisor Member Sylvianjeremy

We stayed here among other places in Costa Rica for our honey moon. Our most tresured memories all revolve around Lapa Rios though. I agree with all of the other positve comments posted and would like to add reviews on a few things that we experienced.
On the top of the list was the dolphin tour we arranged with Lapa staff. See photos. It was amazing! Just the two of us and our guide in a small boat. It took a few hours but he located around 200 spotted dolphins feeding in the bay. The surounded our boat, there was even a baby dolphin who was playing in our waves. This was the real thing and soooooo magical. Not at all like those so called "dolphin experiences" you get in the caribian. We were alowed to get in the water with the dolphins. (they were fast and hard to keep up with as they were more interested in feeding then us) We spent around two hours following the heard of dolphins as they fed. It was amazing. They guide also took us to the shalows to snorkle. His english was poor, but he found lots of other wildlife for us to see, including 2 types of turles and manta rae. The only negative was that we both got very sun burnt even with 50 sunblock on and long sleeves and pants. Worth every cent and worth the pain!
We also did the afternoon of horse back ridding, pretty little horses that are well kept and sweet tempered, though peppy enough to satisfy me, an experienced rider. The galop on the beach was particularly fun. We also did the sun set kyack, it was very pretty and romatic as we were given a two person kyack. The guide was american and very knowledgable, his stories were worth the price of the tour. We did some nice swiming too that evening.
I have to comment on the food, I have never eaten such delicious and noutricious food in my life. With all the things to see and do we were so active, the nourishing food left me feeling so healthy and whole some after the 5 days. It was the best food we had all trip, and now a year and half later my husband and I still wake in the middle of the night craving the guava sour juice and tortila soup. I would give my right arm to have that food again.
We had the second last cabin, and the walk is long. But bearable, just plan ahead, take a water bottle and flashlight. It is not uncommun to see folks taking a breather on the benches mid way, so take your time and start off before you are too hungry, other wise you will be famished by the time you arive. The room was perfect for us though because we had so much privacy. We showered on our balcony under the rainforest canopy, we danced naked in the rain (only one we had it lasted 20 mins) and never had an issue with heat as the breeze off the ocean kept our room cool at all times of the day.
We were so happy to see that for once a hotel exceeded our expectations. I find the website undersells lapa rios.
We had desided after a few short hours in Lapa that we would be back to celebrate our 10th aniversary there and next time we wont bother with the rest of the country, lapa is paridice on earth.

Costa Rica Osa peninsula

by surfcast

Trying to book a trip to the Osa peninsula,12/25/08-----1/2/09 Wife @ 2girls
with me 0ne 8 the other 10.Reason for trip celebrate my 40th birthday and to get away.things we want to do inshore fishing for Roosters,and to explore the rain forest.Questions everything from fishing guides to hotel acomodations air line tickets jfk to San Jose thanks in advance for any replies.

Re: Costa Rica Osa peninsula

by good2be

Hi! I would advise you dicide to book promptly because this date is busy. If you want to enjoy this week in family you can fly from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez by Samsa air line, a good lodge in Osa is the "Luna Lodge" Once there you can fish at Lagun or sea, also kayak and horse riding, there you can ask for "Lana de la Luna" she can help you planing your own tour, when you arrive and departure you can stay at www.hotelcanlgrande.com just 15 min from International airport. see www.lunalodge.com
I hope you a happy birthday...

Re: Costa Rica Osa peninsula

by flpenny

There are several places that would work for you. What is your budget? Do you want to spend all of your time on the Osa? One way to go would be to book through one of the all inclusive places that take care of most everything, including your lodging in SJO and flights to and from Osa. You can stay around Drake Bay, Puerto Jiminez, or Carate. Check out places such as Aquila de Osa, Casa Corcovado, La Paloma, Jinetes de Osa in Drake Bay; Parrot Bay, Crocodile Bay, Iguana Lodge, Bosque del Cabo, Lapa Rios, Black Turtle Lodge around Puerto Jiminez and Carate. On Osa, Aguila de Osa, Crocodile Bay, and Parrot Bay are best known for their sport fishing, although they have great ecotours as well. We stayed at Croc Bay last year for 6 nights. Caught 14 roosterfish in one day - the biggest was around 50 lbs (I caught that one:) It is a great place, but expensive. However, you ARE paying for 2 nights in SJO (one arrival, one departing), in country flights to Puerto Jiminez, accommodations with 24 hour electricity, three meals a day, bar drinks, and fishing/ecotours custom designed for your needs). Go to their website and send Art an email. Also, go to Tripadvisor website and check on reviews for places on the Osa Peninsula - it will give you an idea of what you may want.

Comments