Hotel Villa Caletas

3 kms S. of main entrance to Punta Leona, Herradura, Province of Puntarenas, 12358-1000, Costa Rica

Villa Caletas
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• sharon36605's Profile Photo

A Santuary in the sky

Most satisfying stay I have ever had. Breathtaking views and luxurious rooms. If you want your own pool-so be it. It has a couple suites with your own private pools overlooking the Pacific.

Unique Quality: View, quiet and private. Pool overlooks Pacific ocean and you are in the sea!!! Panoramic view that is unbelievable.

More about Hotel Villa Caletas

Beautiful Views, Beautiful Accomodations

by amygroessl about Villa Caletas

This was the last place we stayed for more than one night. Our first night at Villa Caletas we spent the early evening above the ampatheater watching the most amazing sunset. A string quartet played as the sun disappeared! Unfortunately we didn't hava a camera as ours was hit by a big wave at Tango Mar. Check out Villa Caletas' website for some great pictures! This is an amazing place! Highly recommend! Wonderful infiniti pool, stunning decor, great staff! We spent a half day fishing and caught many mahi mahi; When we returned with a giant filet - the chef prepared it for us within an hour and we were served a private lunch by the pool.

Perfect Honeymoon Dream

by RoyJava about Villa Caletas Hotel

This beautiful mountain resort is the upmost magical place close to heaven. Certainly we loved the swimming pool that reaches perfectly with the horizon where you will have the dream of your life. Having diner in the open restaurant is a true promising of the best menu around. Enjoy the Greek-style amphitheater El Anfiteatro!

Great Boutique, friendly helping desk (special events), gym, meeting room and business center, for fun visit the bar El Mirador ... Most spectacular is the stunning view which is 360 degrees around. From any point of view you'll enjoy the panoramic surroundings!

Every step opens a new perspective to the hotel-panorama and the upmost we enjoyed was the Pool ... every free-minute we rushed for that Pool and could not get enough of the 360 degrees view around ... we agreed this spot should be a perfect honeymoon dream ...
A beautiful prologue to a love story!

Best Sunsets and drinks

by costabound

Head north from Jaco, go past the road to Los Suenos. Go up the mountain maybe a few miles and it should be the first left and there will be a sign for Villa Caletas hotel and restaurant. The drive up the "hill" to the place is LOCO!... and beautiful. Its incredible.

On Top To The Letter

by RoyJava

This place encloses some international couture, high-qualified artistry, proceding phantasy, included some truly unique combination of all of these. The stay at Hotel Villa Caletas made a deep impression with me ... and raised the feeling of divine beauty.
THANKS VILLA CALETAS

Impression Make a date with Mother Nature >>>

Such a beautifull place surrounded by wild Mother Nature

You're in the jungle people

PLEASE READ THIS. I've stayed at Villa Caletas twice, and am returning tomorrow for a romantic getaway with my husband. I want to comment on other reviewers descriptions: yes, it is isolated, yes the beach is rocky and unswimmable, yes, the private pools are cold, and yes, there are spiders everywhere and the cuisine is great but not world-class. Yes the drive is steep and there are a lot of steps to climb to get from point A to point B. GET OVER IT! This is a fabulous magical place, in the middle of the jungle. We love it.

Truly Romantic and Breathtaking - Will Return Soon!

Wow, I'm glad I didn't read all these reviews before going. I was completely blown away by Villa Caletas. Yes, the food is overpriced and the staff is eager to please, but that is expected when staying at one of the nicest hotels, if not the nicest, hotel in the area. Loved the sunset view, the guacamole dip, and delicious breakfasts. Will definitely spend more time in Jaco next time for dinner. We had a "hotel" type room, which served its purpose. We will probably choose a villa next time if available. Don't miss this hotel on your trip!!!

Fantastic, Quiet Escape

This is a great hotel for a romantic getaway, and possibly for family provided the kids don't need extensive activities. Nice greating at the front "desk" sets the tone for at least a 4-star experience.

Realistically, temper your expectations and don't expect the same experience you might have at an international 5-star resort. Appreciate the amazing infrastructure, beautiful landscaping, and quiet nature you have at the top of this enormous hill overlooking nature. It will not disappoint.

Spectacular setting and great views of the tree-line and water from our room. Shortly after arrival, we awoke from a nap to look out of bed and off the balcony were several tucans. Hummingbirds also came to visit.

The buildings and decor were very pleasant - a bit of a South Pacific feel in colors, design, windows.

Health spa is nicely done - small, so suggest booking in advance. Hotel property has lots of outdoor places to sit, relax and take in your surroundings.

The bar area seemed overstaffed - anxious to get us to order drinks. Perhaps they are geared to serve afternoon visitors, but should respect hotel guests may just want to sit for a bit.

Restaurant was better than average, but not spectacular. Menu could be a bit unusual for some tastes, but fine for us.

The hotel is a 20 minute drive to some great hiking trails (easy) in nearby parks. Suggest picking up a guide for several hours, who can help id birds, flowers, fauna, frogs, snakes, etc.

We went to Makanda by the Sea in Manuel Antonio afterwards. Also a top quality stay for Costa Rica. But the area of Jaco is quieter and less touristed - something M.A. cannot attest to as it gets very overdeveloped. Nice to have the counter-experiences. The daytime drive from San Jose to Villa Caletas is not only easy (don't let anyone scare you out of doing it), but also really pleasant - some nice lunch places and roadside fruit stands to stop at.

*I can share some concerns about the bugs - you'd expect some, given that after all you are visiting nature, but it would be nice to have less buts, particularly in the bathrooms. Also, we were surprised that shampoo and lotions are not provided in the bathroom. Soaps, and perhaps a nice basket of fruit and drinking water in the room on arrival, would be such a simple goodwill solution to many reviewer's complaints - and cater to many North American and European expectations of high-end service.

Definitely worth escaping to Villa Caletas if you are looking for a few romantic nights away, or a night (or two) respite from a potentially frantic Costa Rica vacation.

(c) 2005 BHN

Great for a romantic getaway

by TripAdvisor Member beachseeker2010

We spent three nights at the Villa Caletas for our 10th wedding anniversary, staying in one of the private villas with an ocean view. We enjoyed our stay immensely and the service was impeccable. One night our bed was sprinkled with rose petals and the towels twisted into swan figures making the shape of a heart. There were toiletries in our bathroom and just one or two miniscule ants in the room that we did not consider an issue. Our villa was surrounded by trees with all sorts of birds and other creatures: lizards, toucans, hummingbirds and dramtic looking spiders!
The architecture, grounds, and overall design of the resort were wonderful. We loved the ampitheatre, infinity pool and spa area. The music was great.
The private beach is over a mile away and you can hike there through the resort's rainforest or take the shuttle. We chose to walk down and did not regret it. We saw monkeys, all types of flora and fauna, and it was good exercise. Part of the road is under construction and a little muddy in the wet season so be prepared. The beach is a rocky beach, not sandy, but the resort does have lounge chairs, bathrooms, a shower and a place to eat and drink and a waiter to serve you.
The food at the resorts two restaurants was fine but not the best we have ever had. In fact when we did not like one of the appetizers we ordered, it was removed from our bill. The service could not have been better.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a romantic escape but not for children. The resort is at the top of a mountain and not near anything else so you will need a car or other transportation to get to other points of interest. A taxi to Jaco, the nearest town, is about $25 round trip. We had private transportation already arranged through our travel company so getting to and from this hotel was not an issue for us.
In short, this hotel was a treat!

You will pay for the view

by TripAdvisor Member Astonmiami

I just stayed for two nights at Villa Caletas. I booked a villa, but was at first shown a small, dark room, which i did not accept. Then I was shown a villa next to the kitchen, which stunk of the kitchen and would no doubt have been noisy later, so I refused that one as well. Finally, I was shown a villa in the back with a garden/ocean view, which I accepted. The villa was nicely furnished and had original artwork on the walls and I found no faults with the accomodation.

Regarding all the complaints about bugs in the rooms. If you are staying in a hotel surrounded by Costa Rican jungle you must expect that bugs will get into your room. Most of the bugs do not bite and I doubt that any of them are dangerous.

I found the service in the hotel to be overwhelming. Everywhere I went, waiters were attempting to thrust cocktail menus into my hand and ask me what I wanted to drink - at the pool, by the amphitheater, at the beach. They would not leave me alone. When I was sleeping by the pool, a waiter woke me up to ask if I wanted a drink! It was impossible to relax like that.

This level of desperate service continued to the hotel's restaurants. When I sat down for dinner, the waiter asked what cocktail I would like. I said no just a coke and he says how about wine or champagne? What with my coke? Then he asks if I want a bottle of still or sparkling water and seems to get upset when i say I am fine with the tap water.

Once this waiter leaves us, another waiter comes over with a wine list and once again tries to sell me a bottle of wine. As you can see this place is not relaxing at all! As for the food, I don't understand why I should be limited to French food when I am visiting Costa Rica. I found the food to be fairly bad compared with other hotels I stayed in in Costa Rica and unbelievably overpriced - I would say as much as three times the price of other hotels and restaurants.

It was also the only hotel I stayed in in Costa Rica which did not include any food. All the other hotels I stayed at included breakfast in the room price.

In conclusion I would say that the owner of this hotel is desperate to take as much of your money away from you as he can while you are staying there. It is a beautiful location, but there are plenty of other beautiful locations in Costa Rica where you can relax a lot better without the waiters hovering all over you.

pool at Villa Caletaspool at Villa Caletas

All inclusive resort south of Jaco Beach, Costa Rica.

by scheuer1

Can anyone recommend a good all inclusive resort further south than Jaco Beach. My wife and I plan on returning to CR in Feruary 2006 and are trying to plan ahead and pick out a nice resort. Any suggestions would be appreciated from someone who has been there.

RE: All inclusive resort south of Jaco Beach, Costa Rica.

by Suzie3

Don't know about them being all inclusive but there are a couple of nice places just south of Jaco. One is Marriot Los Suenos and the other is Villa Caletas.

Comments