Mal Pais, Costa Rica
Booking.com Orbitz.com Splendia.com

More about Casa Chameleon

Spot on!

by TripAdvisor Member FuntimesLA

My husband just completed our first visit to Costa Rica. It really is a lovely country. So diverse. For a tiny little country we did find it takes a long time to get around. The beauty makes up for the poor roads and slow pace in general. We visited Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio and Mal Pais. Both of us agree that Mal Pais was our favorite. The little hotel Casa Chameleon was a gem. The owners do help to find all of the hidden places. We certainly would not have enjoyed our time there as much without this guidance. None of it was in our guidebooks! Very nice to find that this place was all that we had hoped it would be. A real getaway and a wonderful find! Thank you to everyone at Casa Chameleon!

Perfect Balance of Nature, Privacy, Luxury, and Service

by TripAdvisor Member MissingOurDogs

Psssst!
I am going to let you in on a little secret.
It's called Casa Chameleon.
Have you ever been to a place that becomes your own private oasis and retreat, with all the benefits of 4 star service while being in what feels like the most remote location you have ever been?
A place where you can pretty much be guaranteed no one will be able reach you.
You will be able to look out from your own private villa and be surounded by only jungle trees and ocean and not see or hear another building, road, or person.
Yes, It is still possible to find a corner in the world that can be reached with in a day where you escape to the unspoiled beauty of Costa Rica nature at it's best, paralled with 4 star service and ultimate privacy.
You can be free to wear what ever you want, cook and eat what ever you want or have it cooked for you and NO ONE will bother you.
It really is your own private celebrity retreat, only you don't have to be a celebrity.
Thank you Anthony & Bobbie for making Casa Chameleon a place to call our own. (also thank you for making the bed the most comfortable bed of any hotel we have ever stayed, it was just like home)

Five Stars

by TripAdvisor Member ljb247

Having stayed at Casa Chameleon, my husband and I feel like members of an exclusive club. This is due mostly to the hosts, Bobbie & Anthony, and their complete personalization of the experience during our stay.

Bobbie and Anthony were there to greet us as we pulled into the driveway of Casa Chameleon. Their "old friend" personalities immediately made us feel special to be a part of their beautiful creation. As we walked to our Villa Palma, they showed us the pool, with chaise lounges graciously adorned with fresh thick rolled up towels and 2 hammocks under a palapa. To the right was an outdoor seating area and built-in BBQ where you or a private chef arranged in advance can cook for you. There is an "honor bar" refrigerator where you can take water, juice, soda and beer and write your name on a rain-soaked pad of paper. The "we'll just settle it in the end" attitude epitomizes why we fell in love with Costa Rica.

We arrived at our Villa and were absolutely agape. The floor to ceiling wood and glass doors were folded open to reveal a patio that opened onto a luscious green valley which rose above the sea. We had previously stayed at Ladera in St. Lucia, a famous resort that features rooms with only 3 walls and our villa at Casa Chameleon felt the same. We could close the doors if we wanted to, but why? Then we walked into the bathroom and there stood the largest rock shower with an enormous shower head and an open window to gaze out of. Very few insects came into the room. We ran the ceiling fan at night and only used the a/c one day when it was extremely hot.

What impressed us most: The Villa's construction was superb and upgraded with thick beautiful wood logs as balcony rails, dark wood beams throughout the room, and a gorgeous wood floor. The patio was an extension of the room and was comfortably furnished with rocking chairs and a small dining table with chairs.

The personal touches: Fresh flowers and little flower buds used around the soap in the bathroom. Fresh milk in the refrigerator for the morning coffee, of which an entire bag was included in our room along with sugar.

Bobbie and/or Anthony on their balcony to welcome us home after our days' journeys and being sincerely interested in hearing what we did that day.

Monkeys, birds, lizards (Hi Lizzie) and the flowers!

Do I sound like I'm gushing? I probably shouldn't because Casa Chameleon will now get too busy for us to ever get a reservation there again! I'm kidding, and am glad to report that they are building a third villa which even under construction looked amazing.

Thanks Bobbie and Anthony...we look forward to visiting again very soon!

Richard & Lynn

A Stay You'll Cherish...

by TripAdvisor Member MishkaF1

Heaven on Earth! My husband and I just got back from a weeklong stay at Casa Chameleon and we wish it could have been longer! First off- the people: Bobbie and Anthony are excellent hosts and a wealth of information about the area. Everyone on the family-like staff was so wonderful and added immeasurably to our experience. Each of the three villas is luxurious and beautiful (splurge for the Deluxe Villa with its own private pool if it's available!) and the grounds are lovely. We had a delicious breakfast each morning and hired the chef for two outstanding dinners. If you are looking to have the experience of staying at the gorgeous vacation estate of your exceptional friends (with all of the mutual respect that entails), then this is the place for you! No screaming kids, no demeaning finger-snapping divas... just charming down to earth folks who relish peace, tranquility and a dip in the pool after a day out exploring this corner of paradise. Ahhh... we'll be back soon.

Extraordinary Place

by TripAdvisor Member lelofson

A couple of months late with the review... which is strange, because I had such a phenomenal stay at Casa Chameleon. My husband and I were lucky enough to be the first guests at the "ultra cabina", which is absolutely worth every penny. Soaring ceilings, gorgeous jungle and ocean views, beautiful teak floors, stunning custom crafted furniture, and the real bonus: the private infinity pool that drops off into the jungle below. While we had every intention of exploring the area, my husband and I simply couldn't bring ourselves to leave the cabina. Bobbie and Anthony were such gracious hosts, even though they were stressing about having finished the cabina the day of our arrival. Their worries were unfounded, as everything was just perfect. Definitely book the private chef for an evening or two, he is truly talented and it's quite a luxury dining on such fine cuisine in your cabina... especially when you see the stairs they have to hike up and down to bring you the food!

Absolutely the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Although, "hotel" seems like such a pedestrian word for such an incredible place.

Best in the Pais!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member sparklespirit

We stayed here for 5 of our 12 days in Costa Rica. If was by FAR the best part of our trip. *Read my Wife loved it the most as well*

There are boutique hotels that are posh and super lux. But the personal attention you get is nothing personal at all. Here we were treated like guests and friends. Everything we could of ever wanted to do was pre arranged and completely setup for us.

-HorseBack riding on the beach for sunset followed by a poolside private chef cooked dinner
-ATV *quads* were pre rented for us *very fun way to get around if you are only there for a few days*
-and a day on the water fishing in a private little fishing boat *and I caught a few decent sized tuna as well*

the main reason we went to costa rica was to experience the country and explore its natural beauty although some other parts of our time there were spent deeper in the jungle and more isolated with nature. Casa Chameleon was the perfect ending to our trip giving us the perfect combination of Style and Comfort, BUT still retaining the charm we initially went to costa rica to experience.

If you are looking for the best option in the area *based on price and comfort/luxury* you really can't beat the experience my wife and I had at this hotel.

Bobbi and Anthony are the perfect hosts!!!
And we travel a lot!!!!

Its hard to understand the true meaning of PuraVida until you meet the perfect hosts, and at CasaChameleon we did just that.

Just Perfect.

by TripAdvisor Member QueFrenchy

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon... and wow. Casa Chameleon gave us *exactly* what we dreamed of in a honeymoon: relaxation, adventure, pampering and privacy... And you really can decide, each day, what you want to do... or not do! The staff is extremely helpful- Dave set us up with day trips to Tortuga Island and the Canopy Tour for zip lining- and recommended lots of other places and things to see/do, and their new chef Kevin made us whatever we wanted for breakfast every morning -even incorporating bananas from the hotel's grounds! A couple mornings we ate breakfast as a family of howler monkeys swung through the trees next to us. It was just magical... Kevin's cooking, also, is incredibly inventive, beautifully plated, and so delicious you eat the very last little bite! (we even licked the plate!) Do be sure to have him cook you dinner at LEAST once... having it by the pool is incredibly romantic, too!

Our room (the Villa Vista) was so extremely peaceful- Nobody around for miles and jungle noises like birds and lizards mixed with the roar of the ocean's waves in the distance and the soft breeze made it the perfect place to relax... One night when it rained my husband and I decided we had all of the noises you'd find on a 'sound machine' right outside our window! (and with much better acoustics!)

I don't think its possible to not LOVE this hotel... It is impeccable and incredibly serene. We plan on returning... hopefully for a few anniversaries! -Monique and Eric =)

Surreal

by TripAdvisor Member James_Taylor_Jr.

We were fortunate enough to stay in the new villa at CC just after
exhausting holiday travel. The entire experience was surreal. Lying in the most incredibly comfy bed, we were just mesmerized looking across the swimming pool onto the ocean. We really had a difficult time getting out of that bed! Thank god the pool was about 3 steps away. We felt like we were in our own little heaven in there and to be honest, didn't leave much during our short stay. The grounds and design of this small resort are incredibly well designed and one can't help but relax there. It was a unique experience. I would describe it as an
exclusive luxury B&B that morphs into a 5 star hotel upon request. We had this experience when we booked their chef and masseuses for the day. Not cheap but rock star all the way! Don't get me wrong, we still had the Costa Rican experiences of monkeys, nature and jungle but without even leaving our room. We ventured out more in Mal Pais at our next hotel since it was just a basic room and a little depressing coming from perfect. I
wish we had booked more time at the Chameleon but we did enjoy the Mal Pais area and its wonderful people. Pura Vida for real!

James Taylor Jr.
Vancouver BC

mchocomonkey@yahoo.ca

Book it Now!

by TripAdvisor Member KEJWisconsin

If you are going to Mal Pais and don't have children along - this is the best vacation I've ever had in my life. My husband and I were celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary without the kids, and this was the perfect place to do it! Bobbie and Anthony are the most perfect hosts - and TAKE ADVANTAGE of having a personal chief! We had the wonderful Nathaniel for the week and after my husband went fishing (that Anthony arranged), we had FRESH sushi prepared by the cheif (yellow finned tuna). They will arrange anything you want and have many connections in town. Forget the bad roads, (call them an adventure), take in the beauty of nature, the impeccable rooms and service, and remember that you will receive service based on how you treat people. Although Bobbie and Anthony speak English, try to learn a little Spanish to practice in this beautiful country. And go to Playa Hermonsa - the most beautiful beach I've ever seen! Have fun and book it now!

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member bretandlisa

This place is absolutely amazing. We were in the ‘villa vista’ and it was stunning, from the four poster bed overlooking the deck, jungle, and Pacific beyond to the large stone shower with the same view. My wife and I got married on 4/28 and finally rolled into Casa C (as we call it) on 4/30 after about 24hours of travel. We were greeted by Bobbi and Anthony and their anorexic lizard Lizzy (who they’ve saved from a dog attack - twice) and shown to our cabina. My wife thought we’d be camping out in tents or something (knowing me – it might’ve been a valid fear), but we were floored by the breathtaking view and luxury of the place. We got showered up and dined by poolside candlelight with Tim, their chef of only 2 weeks. I was only going to dine there one or two nights, but the first taste of Tim’s dinner and we asked if he could cook for us all four nights and all 5 breakfasts in that amazing open air kitchen. Each night we split a bottle of wine, watched the fireflies, and ate like we’d never eaten before. We’re both pretty sure that we’ve peaked in our culinary experience.

Bobbi and Anthony were the perfect hosts. They provided us with detailed directions and maps to some of the more secluded spots around Mal Pais and the southern Nicoya, which is invaluable since this part of Costa Rica has few signs and no road names (make sure you rent a 4 wheel drive car – you’ll want one to explore the area). I highly suggest the Playa Hermosa, Snorkeling at Sunset Reef, Curu wildlife preserve, and the zip line tour. Bobbi and Anthony arranged it all for us, as well as calling Nature Air to get our bags delivered to Casa C, since the airline had opted not to take them with us on our flight to Tambor.

Note: They don’t take credit cards pretty much anywhere in the Southern Nicoya (including Casa C), so bring cash (either US or Colones) and plenty of it. There is a market (Supper Ronny’s) that can cash traveler’s checks, but no telling how much they will cash at any point in time. When we were there, the closest ATM was about ½ hour away, but we never did get it to give us any cash.

We’re already planning our trip back. A true one-of-a-kind place and it would be a crime not stay there if you are in mal pais.

As relaxing as it gets....Mal Pais, Costa RicaAs relaxing as it gets....Mal Pais, Costa Rica

Ronny'sRonny's

Iguanas on actionIguanas on action

Playa St TeresaPlaya St Teresa

danger in mal pais, costa rica?

by joga23

hello,
i am interested in visiting mal pais and have recently heard contrasting rumors from 2 different friends - one says that it is a drug infested place where american women have been
killed while the other insists nothing like that is happening and it one of the most beautiful places in the world. I am generally not a frightened traveler and have been many places around the world alone. Does anyone have an opinion on this either way?
I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Amy

Re: danger in mal pais, costa rica?

by billrice56

The real danger in Mal Pais or any other place is the failure to use good judgement. I lived in Nicoya Sur for 2 yrs. Same ratio of low lifes to normals as any other place. In laymens terms, don't get blasted and follow some local off to "private" party!!!

I moved to the Caribbean coast, a little more developed but many more things to do. Mal Pais revolves around surfing

Re: Re: danger in mal pais, costa rica?

by funtours

I do agree...dont get involved with suspicious suspects there and you will be fine...the more secluded a place is the more likely it is a hiding place for all kind of criminals...but you dont need to party with them...

Re: danger in mal pais, costa rica?

by luetten

hi,
sorry to hear about the rumors, but i´ve lived in malpais for 4 years (till august 2002) and i don´t know anything about this "killing". it´s definitly a safe place for women. but if you get wasted and start walking around topless..there will be no garantuee..you know, wherever you travel, mostly it depends on your behaviour what´s going to happen. i´ve seen some drugged or drunken girls there just asking to be picked up. Another detail to think about: 98% of the locals don´t take any drugs. so if it´s drug infested then who is using the drugs? i met too many tourists who came to costa rica just because it´s so much cheaper. if you travel to see a beautiful nature, meet nice people and have a good time while surfing/scuba diving/horsebackriding it´s definitly a great place to be. Actually the best i found in traveling the world within the last 10 years. have a great time and use common sense..

Comments