Km. 4 Carretera Principal de Manuel Antonio, , Costa Rica

Expedia.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

• Sawhorse's Profile Photo

Thanks for the great escape!

We decided to take a last minute escape to Costa Rica when we got a great price on our flights and ended up by chance at Hotel Byblos. This was great for getting to lots of restaurants (those theirs was good too), and we were walking distance to a great spa too. The receptionists helped us plan some fun tours, zipline, mangrove, park hike and fishing were all top of the line. We really enjoyed the entire area and hope to come back soon!

Unique Quality: Lots of monkeys, sloths, and other animals we can't identify.
    Close to restaurants and bars.

Directions: Half way to the park

• A lucky find in the Manuel Antonio Central area

We had planned to stay accross the street from this hotel, but after continued probs with our a/c, we decided to move hotels. What a great find! They gave us a great walkin price and treated us like family. The rooms are simple but large, with a surprising amount of amenities for what we consider a budget hotel. Food was good, but there were also better choices close by. We would probably not stay here again ourselves (we like a little more luxury), but would definitely recommend it to people or families on a budget.

Unique Quality: Rooms deep in the jungle. Lots of animals to be seen.

Directions: Half way to the park on the main road

• Central location is a plus

Our family took a summer vacation to Costa Rica and great fun was had by all! We loved Byblos, as we could literally turn the kids lose on the property and they were kept entertained at the pool (staff there to watch them), up at the billiards tables (more staff), around the property with the monkeys, or any other number of tour options that were available close by. I was able to actually visit the spa two times, which is unheard of for me! The restaurant choices at Byblos worked out perfect for us. The breakfast was included each day, and the easy pizza all day/night and the snack foods at the sportsbar fed our kids easily. There were also many other options within walking distance. Definitely go to The Plane (an old Nicaraguan Contra plane), the kids loved that place, though we thought the food was only average. We highly recommend the park tour and ATVs. Our kids enjoyed both, especially the beach after the park, and swimming in the waterfall on the ATVs. So I think that about sums things up. Great find for families traveling and looking for a good deal!!

Unique Quality: Easy walk to restaurants and other activities. Lots of animals to watch on the property.

Directions: Easy to get to park and beaches

• Fun place for nightlife in Manuel Antonio

We found ourselves coming back to this hotel several times not only for the great pizza by the pool, or the sportsbar food up the hill, but also to try our luck at the casino. I walked away with $400 one night. Definitely have no complaints here!!

Unique Quality: Lots of options to choose from for food and entertainment.

Directions: Just as you pass Cafe Milagro on the left

More about Byblos Resort & Casino

Nice Place!

by TripAdvisor Member baron48

Just returned from Costa Rica and stayed at Byblos while in Quepos/ Manuel Antonio.

Liked:
1) Rooms were very clean and modern.
2) Grounds had lots of plants/flowers and monkeys could often be seen. Lots of stairs though. Leave your wheel chair at home.
3) Restaurant has good food (especially pizza).
4) Wireless internet access (though only worked around front desk and bar area). Kind of slow, too. There is also a computer you can use if you don't have a lap top.

Disliked:
1) Staff generally seemed to be trying hard, but it required effort to get orders at restaurant and the room bill correct.

Enjoyed byblos

by TripAdvisor Member ColoradoBoomermom

We just returned from CR and 3 nights at Byblos. We had a lovely stay. The bungalows are the way to go. From our balcony we could see a variety of wildlife, from bats and butterflies to monkeys and, early in the morning, toucans and parrots. We especially enjoyed the large swimming pool and open air cafe.

WARNING: Do not stay at Byblos

by TripAdvisor Member amacadam

We stayed in Manuel Antonio for 6 nights, the first 5 in Byblos. The evening we arrived we had to wait a while to check in because a group of Americans were dealing with the front desk because their rental car had been broken into right out front, in Byblos’ “Secure Parking Lot.” The whole experience of checking in seemed a bit shady. Once we got to our bungalow, we noticed the safe was locked and we couldn't open it, so we hid our cell phones in a drawer while waiting for the front desk to send someone to fix the safe (which never happened.)

The second day we were there we got back from our ATV trip (which was great) and then went to the pool at Byblos. We were at the pool for about 2 hours, during this time someone broke into our bungalow! As it turns out the lock on the sliding door was broken! We never noticed because we always put a metal bar into the sliding door to act as a security lock. It turns out that our maid had a problem replacing this bar and left the door open!

Not only did they steal about $250 but they took our camera (with some great photos!), 2 cell phones, a pair of jeans, my hair products, a brush, some facial stuff and a hat!

We immediately called the front desk and one of the owners, Sari - an American, came to our bungalow. She apologized and told us we should have used the safe. We explained the safe was never fixed (and on top of that would we have put our jeans into the safe??) They called the federal police and they came by and didn't do anything. We also explained to the hotel manager that the lock was broken and the maid didn’t put the bar back in!

We decided that we weren't going to let this ruin our trip so we continued on. The next day we left to go on our canopy tour, and we asked everyone at the front desk to tell our maid to put the security bar back in place and we needed the safe fixed. When we got back that day the bar was in the corner of the room again and the safe wasn't fixed and the lock on the door was still broken!! Ridiculous!

We then complained again to the concierge and they said they would get it fixed. The next day I wrote a note in Spanish and left it with a tip for the maid and left another note on the security bar, we went to the front desk and asked again about the safe, the door lock and the security bar being replaced by the maid.

When we got back from the beach nothing was fixed and the security bar was sitting in the corner again! We apparently couldn’t trust anyone at this hotel!

We had had enough at this point and went down to the front desk where the same woman who had checked us in on Saturday was very apologetic. She told us that as far as she knew, no one had told our maid to replace the bar and that she honestly believed that our maid was in on the robbery since she left the door open and so many personal items were taken!

At this point we requested to talk to Sari, the owner. The front desk told us that Sari was unavailable and out to dinner, so we requested that we talk to her the next day. We called several times leaving her messages as well with no result, then the next day as we were checking out we asked about talking to Sari and were told she went to Cuba! Then, amazingly, we saw her walking down by the pool! We were aware by that point that we had just been continuously lied to the whole week. The smell of "Naive Americans...you can't do anything about this" was strong.

The Ticos that worked at Byblos were in general nice people, but the American owners showed no courtesy to their guests and treated us as if we didn’t matter to them. The locals who heard our stories were very sorry to hear it and were very kind in offering us drinks at the bar and such and each one of them told us that it sounded like this was an “inside job.” The owners of the hotel wouldn’t even talk to us about it.

I strongly urge anyone planning a trip to Manuel Antonio to MAKE RESERVATIONS ELSEWHER. This hotel doesn’t care about its patrons’ well being nor their personal property.

(Also the casino is a joke. The “roulette table” actually consists of a basket of balls with numbers on them, like Bingo, and other people we ran into swore that the blackjack dealers were shady.)

Best PLace to stay in Quepos

by TripAdvisor Member jrkiwi

The first experience at the Byblos is a very friendly english speaking desk clerk. Since we got in late( missed our flight and had to take a car fome San Jose) he advised us to go have a drink in the Billfish sports bar situated directly above registration. Again friendly staff and cold beer (cervasa).

When we got to our room our bed was turned down and our luggage was delivered and I was felling much better after the long trip from the states. Our room was actually a bungalo located above the pool in in the jungle.Tired, we crashed and got a good nights sleep. The bed was King Size and comfortable.

Each morning we had a "Byblos Breakfast" pool side (included in room charge) and met the staff and other guests. Within one day we made friends with other guests and we off to ride horses on the beach.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.. Byblos is a 3 star hotel in an excellent location with friendly and efficient staff. I f you want to feel at home Byblos is the place. And as an extra bonus the white faced monkeys seem to show up each evening as I was having my first evening drink.

Byblos = Fantastic

Lablover

by TripAdvisor Member Lablover26

I was very surprised at the review which rated this hotel so low. I thought the staff was friendly and helpful. The site dramatic and the bungalows attractive, comfortable, spacious and clean. The food was good and again the staff helpful and friendly. Also, the location of the hotel was good and the access to taxis to get you to all activities easy ...the hotel staff helped with booking you on tours and also in suggesting where to go etc. For a medium priced hotel, on the west coast of Costa Rica, I don't think you can beat El Byblos

Beautiful hotel, great staff.

by TripAdvisor Member koalalm

I am currently on Day Six of my stay ay Hotel Byblos, and it has been fantastic. I am currently sitting in the beautiful foyer, using the free Internet service with a fountain bubbling behind me. Everything has been idyllic so far. Our room is really comfortable, with cable TV, a great shower, and an ocean view that is breathtaking. In the late afternoon we have been hanging out in and by the pool, and watching the monkey show - white-faced monkeys that play around in the trees above, jumping from one tree to the next. They have arranged our excursions to whitewater rafting, and kayaking in a mangrove swamp where we saw a rainbow boa constrictor, and hand-fed a mother monkey and her baby. Today we go on a Canopy Safari with zip-lines and rapelling at the end. What an adventure! They also recommended a great restaurant called Kapi Kapi, and we're going to go salsa dancing tomorrow night at a local place they told us about that has live music. Breakfast by the pool is included, today I had pancakes with fresh fruit and yoghurt - yummy! I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, it's within walking distance of Manual Antonio N.P. which is magnificent. We saw our first sloth there. I'm already planning my return trip next year.
Karen-Lee

Not the best

by TripAdvisor Member lovecruises

After reading many reviews on trip advisor, I booked three nights at Byblos Hotel. We stayed only one night and checked out the next morning. Our credit card had already been charged for all three nights and the hotel kept with their policy and would not refund the amount for the other two nights.

When we checked into the hotel, they were very slow and did not seem organized. We stayed in one of the Bungalows and needed some help with our bags because of all the stairs. They told us to leave the bags and they would bring them to the room. While they did bring the bags, it took awhile to get them. The service here was very slow and you could not tell who worked at the hotel because no one was wearing uniforms. The employees were in their jeans and shirts like everyone else.

We were not impressed with the Bungalows at all. The were dark and dingy. My husband described them as somewhere he would stay with the guys if they were going on a fishing trip. Our refrigerator did not seal so it did not stay cold. There was not a mini bar in the room. Several of the lights did now work. The bathroom was VERY small, the size of a small 1/2 bath. I did not want to look at the sheets when we went to bed that night.
I tried to make a phone call but could not hear the person on the other end. When I called the front desk at 7 pm to tell them about the phone, they said nothing could be done until the next day.

We asked for a wake up call at 5:30 the next morning so we could go fishing. Someone in camo pants and a black t-shirt pounded on our door in the morning to wake us up. We told him thank you and looked outside a few minutes later and they guy was still there. Kind of creepy. Anyway, I dropped my husband off to go fishing and went to find another place to stay. I ended up at Issimo Suites and wished we would have stayed there from the beginning. It would have saved me the $300 Byblos would not refund.

There are two good things about Byblos. They have a sports bar with casino and the pizza was good. Otherwise skip this hotel.

What a piece of Paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member DMretiredgirl

I have never experienced such a wonderful stay!

There is no way to express in words what a marvelous hotel the Byblos is; from the room to the staff, our stay was spectacular.

The staff at the went above and beyond to make sure all of our needs were met. From making arrangements for our transportation from the San Jose airport to making flight arrangments from Quepos on our return to the San Jose airport. As well as everything during the week we were at the hotel. They made all of our side trip arrangements which was new for us. We like experiencing the locate culture when taking trips, the staff provided us with information on where the locals eat and shop, all within walking distance from the hotel.

Having never been to Costa Rica, I had no previous conceptions on what to expect. The room more than surpassed my expectations; extremely large with sitting area, microwave and refridgerator.

The grounds surrounding the hotel are pure paradise! Daily we saw three different types of monkeys. A sloth even came down one day while we were having breakfast. Which was another great service provided with our trip: Breakfast. Both restaurants at the Byblos served great food. We meet many tourists at one of the restaurants known for the pizza. We were particularly found of the Costa Rican breakfast.

I honestly cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay. I have already told all my friends they need to plan on visiting the Byblos!

Comments