Costa Rica

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• wvanderwahl's Profile Photo

Monkeys Galore!

The most fun place to stay in Quepos. Three restaurants, a helpful english speaking staff and a troup of squirrel monkeys that invade the main restaurant Anaconda every day around 5:00pm during the rainy season. One of the bar/restaurants is a Airplane that was part of Manuel Noreigas fleet and the views are truly breathtaking. Easy walk to the beach and it is 15 minutes to Manuel Antonio park.
    Very affordable if you go during the rainy season though, you must forgo the beach altogether as it will rain every day and it is pitch black by 6:30 PM.
    Tours are arranged by the staff at the front desk which is actually an old train wagon of sorts.

Unique Quality: The views, the food and the monkeys which outnumber the guests.

• static1's Profile Photo

Great Place near Manuel Antonio

This hotel was great. The service was wonderful, the prices reasonable and the grounds were beautiful.
    Costa Verde is almost a resort, so if you're looking to rough it, this ain't it. We spent 5 days here and really had no complaints.

We were traveling with kids ages 7 & 12, and found the place very accomodating. There were actually several families there, so if you're traveling with kids, you'll feel very welcome. If you want to avoid the kids, Costa Verde II is adults only.

Unique Quality: The Hotel Costa Verde has several buildings on the side of a hill overlooking the Pacific. We stayed in the B building with an ocean view, and what a view it was. They also have an adults only section called Costa Verde II, with its own pool. Guests have access to all the grounds (everyone over 16 can use Costa Verde II). The place has monkeys, large iguanas, and lots of wildlife running arounde (we even saw a sloth). They have 3 restaurants, one on site and two nearby.

The views and location are great. We could hear the surf at night and found the place very quiet. They say it's about 300 yards to the beach, but figure about 1/2 mile or so all downhill (all uphill coming back!). There's no sidewalk so you have to hug the road a bit and watch out for the occassional crazy driver. The best bet is to catch the bus right in front of the hotel. It runs like every 20-30 minutes and costs maybe $.20 (105 colones).

More about Hotel Costa Verde

You do need a car !

by TripAdvisor Member nomar5955

This hotel is between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park. Unless you are in better shape than we are or if you like waiting for the local bus you need a car even to get to the beach. The hotel is set on a hillside with numerous buildings at varying distances from the entrance with different amounts of steep climbs to get to your unit. I know this all sounds very negative, but the place is absolutly gorgeous, and the accomidations could not have been better. The restaurant served great food, and the monkeys do come and visit in the evenings.

We were there in late October, and on two of the four evening we were there, it rained like you have never seen rain before; like, where is Noah when you need him rain.

We would stay here again.

Amazing place

by TripAdvisor Member rachelinsf

I just returned from a week in Costa Rica, including four nights at Costa Verde. My friend and I thought it was absolutely lovely. Yes, it is on a hillside with steep walks to/from buildings, and unfortunately, we saw NO monkeys during our stay. We heard from another guest that there had been an "unfortunate incident" between a boa constrictor and a monkey a week earlier and the monkeys hadn't returned since. (This story was not confirmed by the staff -- they were very tight-lipped about it when we asked -- but they did indicate that it was very very unusual that the monkeys weren't showing up.)

But aside from that, this place is spectacular with a very friendly staff. The views and lush surroundings are amazing, and while there are ample hillside hotels between the town of Quepos and Manuel Antonio Nat'l Park, we didn't see any resorts could have been much more spectacular.

I strongly recommend staying in Costa Verde Building 2, as the rooms on one side of the building all have incredible ocean views, with screened-in rooms and lovely decks complete with these wonderful rocking chairs. I liked the chairs so much I bought one and had it shipped back to the states, and it arrived within a week.

If you want a true rainforest experience with jungle wildlife outside your door, this is the place for you.

Beautiful Views

by TripAdvisor Member saltydog333

My husband and I visited Costa Rica in Dec 2005, spending 4 nights in Manuel Antonio at the Costa Verde Hotel. Great central location, walking distance to the national park/beach but not back (it would be uphill). Our studio was in the CV11 building. It was a large, screened in room only, no clocks, no TV's, no phone. The overhead fans and the jungle kept it a great temperature at night, slightly warm during the day. Do not stay in these rooms unless you want to be awake when the sun rises. Our balcony was huge and featured a postcard view of the national park. A couple actually got married right below my room at the pool so we watched from the balcony. I would recommend this room to any age couple (children are not allowed). We plan to stay here again on our next visit.

way too much money for such a run down place

We had planned to stay 2 nights at the Costa Verde Hotel, but checked out after 1. What a rip off; totally run down place; would not recommend it to anyone.
The gardens and landscape are really nice,the staff was friendly & helpfull, but the hotel needs a complete remodeling. The rooms look like they have not been painted since the seventies and if I had this kind of furniture at my home I would have trown it out years ago.

There are definitely better places in Manuel Antonio.

just do it

by TripAdvisor Member rossrosen

just got back from my second trip to costa rica, this time with my husband and two young kids (1 and 3). it was my second stay at the costa verde and i wasn't disappointed. spectacular views, monkeys dancing through the trees, rooms with a very open feel right in the jungle! my husband and i watched a sloth making it's way up a tree right across from our balcony! my kids loved it and my husband is already planning our trip for next year.

ok, so i wouldn't book my tours through the hotel... but i wouldn't book them through any hotel frankly. just talk to people in town and at the beach - there's help everywhere. manuel antonio national park is definitely worth a visit with all its wildlife and pristine beaches - a guided tour is worthwhile and should be about $20/person. go to that little restaurant that's right on the beach under all the tangled vines if it's still around - i hear the gov't wants to shut it down (and likely take it over). it's a great place to enjoy some good arroz con pollo at the beach and the monkeys visit from time to time.

there are dozens of places to stay in manuel antonio and most of them look pretty nice, but costa verde is a great value with a really authentic feel. stay in the B rooms with panoramic views if you can - they're really spectacular!

Excellent Views, Good Value For The Dollar

by TripAdvisor Member RobertM

The photos I am posting say it all. The first is the actual building (we stayed in Costa Verde II), the second is the view from the pool deck at sunset, the third from our balcony. We stayed in a very ample studio with partial view of the ocean on the fourth floor. We were walk-ins and it was the best available, the hotel was booked, so go with a reservation. We recommend CV II building, as it has sunset views (CV I does not) and has the adult pool which has the best view of all. But keep in mind that this building is not air conditioned, it is screened on two sides and gives a very tropical feel nestled in the forest. You do not need A/C (particularly on upper floors), but you can hear the road noise, which unfortunately, is the case with most, if not all, hotels in Quepos (Makanda and Parador might not, but can't say for sure). My wife heard the monkeys early in the morning, but we did not see them. The service and food were very good, get something grilled from La Cantina, it is the place with the huge fire in the front, can't go wrong. We had breakfast at Cafe Milagro nearby, highly recommended for breakfast, two can easily eat the omellete. I would easily rate this place 5 stars for quality and value if not for the road noise at night. If this is a major issue, you can stay at the A/Ced CV I, but the view is nicer from here. They are building a third building on site (as is every hotel in CR) which should add to the choices, construction noise cannot be heard from CV II, this was not a problem.

Awesome Place

I just returned from my first trip to Costa Rica. my family and I stayed 3 nights at costa verde 1.we loved it. the room was large and very clean. It had a stove, sink and refridgerator. a large deck with rocking chairs. we did have A/C so we didn't notice any noise at night. the pools and grounds are beautiful. the adult pool has a great view of the ocean. we walked down to Manuel Antonio park and took the bus back. the bus comes past about every 1/2 hour and is only 20 cents a person.The staff was friendly and helpful and spoke very good English.I will go back to Costa Rica someday and will definately stay at Costa Verde again.

Nice grounds, not near the beach.

by TripAdvisor Member tmacinsd

Overall I enjoyed my stay at Costa Verde but there were a few things that bothered me. First I was told by the staff that the beach was nearby. If by nearby you mean 1.1mi (Milage confirmed by GPS) walking down a hilly road with no side walk then I guess that is nearby. Now 1.1 mi doesn't sound far but if everytime you have to go to the beach you end up spending 45min roundtrip walking,it starts to get annoying. We finally started taking taxis for anywhere b/w 2000-2500 colones, $4-5 one way. You can also take the bus if you can successfully flag it down. The views of Manuel Antonio were fantastic from both the Anaconda Resturant, and the Adult pool. The staff was attentive to our needs but not overly friendly. Also if you get laundry done they claim in my 9am back by 2pm. Lie, I had it in by 7:30 and it was not ready until 6. So basically do not plan your day around getting back your laundry.

Comments