Waterfront, Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Costa Rica

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa

We loved Issimo Suites

by TripAdvisor Member F&WSintPancras

We were passing by and just went in for a drink. We were touched by the friendly staff and the great view. As we were still looking for a hotel for 3 days in Manuel Antonio we asked if they had a room for us. They did, but first wanted to show one to us. The room looked absolutely great. Spacious, stylish decoration, jacuzzi and great view from the private balcony. The three days we spent in room 5 were fantastic. We loved the room and the staff is great. The whole staff is very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our dinners in the restaurant. Next time we are in Costa Rica we certainly will choose Issomo Suites again for a part of our holiday.

Wonderful Experience!!!!

We arrived at the Issimo suites the week of April 24,2006, to simply check it out. We were in search of a place to stay as we were having to check out of the Hotel La Mariposa, due to severe bug problems in the rooms at Mariposa. We were very wonderfully greeted by both Miguel and Maria, who took the time to let us view the entire property. Miguel showed us several rooms, and really made us feel at home. Maria was absolutely outstanding! Issimo has a real treasure on their hands with Maria- a lot of other hotel's and their staff could learn a lot from her. We checked out of the Hotel La Mariposa, and cheked into the Issimo Suites for two nights. What a wonderful experience, great room, wonderful food, and top notch staff. We also were extremely pleased that we had no bugs in the room, as we had such a horrible problem with that at the Hotel La Mariposa. The owners of the Issimo were often on site, and they were very interested in talking with us- and making our stay even more enjoyable. I can't say enough about this place, other than we will be back!

amazing by all accounts - Entire family loved the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member marlinman

I have to completely disagree with the previous negative posts. Judging by their dates, I think the property has made the necessary changes everyone was urging.

We drove down from Los Suenos for the day, stopped into Issimo Suites for dinner and literally ended up staying for an entire week! The views are absolutely stunning and the staff bent over more than backwards to meet our every request and make our stay as awesome as possible. We decided to spend the night and they went to the store to buy us all of the necessary toiletries while we finished our desserts.

The General Manager is a fairly new to the property. Her name is Maria. Her enthusiam has permeated through the entire staff. We had NONE of the problems listed from the comments months ago. At every turn, someone was grabbing our bags. This is an issue because the Suites are 1-2 or 3 flights of steps.

We were doing something that is a tough venture - traveling with our 2 children: 3 and 7 years old!! The Issimo staff went overboard to make our kids feel at home and even babysit them for an evening while my wife and I went out to eat.

I agree the food still needs some work but, we were never disappointed. There is no liquor at the bar, however, the wine selection is quite suitable.

The suites are absolutely gorgeous. I would encourage everyone to give Issimo Suites another chance. I have been to Costa Rica seven times. Issimo ranks at the top of my list (with Makanda) in Manuel Antonio.

The Colemans
Charleston, SC

Paradise found

by TripAdvisor Member hillerlee

In Costa Rica, service is not necessarily easily had, but at Issimo Suites, the staff's sole aim is to please. At our last hotel in the Arenal area, we had a horrible time arguing for a room we booked 10 months ago - here, they were making up for the mistakes that the travel agent and former hotel made by sending us Champagne. The motto seemed to be "whatever you want".
The restaurant, although very slow, was great - wait staff, too - the spa was also perfect. The rooms were huge with a picture perfect view from almost all of them (one room is too low). The only problem is if you are staying with an in-law in the large room, there is just a screen separating the room from the shower and that made it a bit uncomfortable for our group. We had 13 people in 3 rooms with ample space for all.
I would highly recommend this small boutique hotel in one of the world's most tropical and unspoiled areas in the world.

Helped to make our honeymoon Perfect!!!

by TripAdvisor Member manningj

I've been meaning for some time to write and say thanks to the fine folks at the Issimo Suites, and to let others know about a one of a kind treasure.
My wife and I spent 4 nights of our 8 night honeymoon at the Issimo in July 18-21 of 2005. Eventhough they were not OFFICIALLY opened yet, only one word describes the hotel and the staffs performance.....REMARKABLE. If my memory serves me correctly we stayed in suite #1 at the very top on the left. A HUGE 1 room suite with 2 walls of solid glass above the canopy. it was like being at the top of a 2 plus million dollar tree house. Beautiful exotic wood floors, stone, top notch bedding, cold ac, jacuzzi tub with views of the ocean, and much much more. The staff was great, and attended to our every want and need. At that time(July 2005) the kitchen wasn't completely finished, but the chef was AWESOME, and made everything we requested, everytime, and left us astonished with how great and fresh the food is in Manual Antonio. We're beach bums, and everytime we wanted to go down to the beach at the park they shuttled us down there and then picked us up at the time we requested. They once even gave us a lift into Quepos. Once a cabby tried to take advantage and inflate the fare(Make sure you know EXACTLY what the fare is before you take the trip) and one of the staff stepped right up on my behalf and completely took care of the situation.
My wife tried the spa and said it was world class. The hot tub on the spa level was also great.
Miguel took us on a private snorkel/sea kyaking trip and throughout our stay was GREAT with his attentiveness and knowledge and love for Costa Rica. He is definitely the BEST at what he does. If you're looking for a giant resort with 3 or more pools right on the beach, then Issimo or even Manuel Antonio for that matter is not you place. But, if you want a One of a kind 5 star experience in Paridise then Manuel Antonio and Issimo Suites are a SURE THING. To everyone still with the hotel, sorry it took so long to say THANKS for a GREAT honeymoon.

Nice But Not Worth It

by TripAdvisor Member bobclot

We stayed at Issimo Suites, I was really impressed when the owners informed me that all of their proceeds go to charity in Costa Rica. It was very apparent to me when we arrived that things were not going well between the staff and the owners. The cook was dismissed or left on his own after one day of our stay. Our Suite (#2) was very beautiful and had a fantastic view of the ocean, the housemaids did have great attention to detail with their fabulousl designs encorporating flowers amongst the linens and placement on the vanity and bedding. Though the room was exquisite, the feel from the owners was not. They had a snobby almost fakey feel to them. If you weren't spending all your money in their establishment you were put on the bottom of the list. Also, there was suppose to be a shuttle to the beach, promises made, no delivery. Shuttle to town, once again promises no delivery. They did push the spa treatments, they were nice, but I would have rather had my massage in my room, but no one wanted to carry the massage table up to our suite. A very pricey massage and after I had to practically climb a mountain up to my room, so what was the point to the massage. As far as our bill, yes there were things that were tacked on that we shouldn't have had to pay for, but if all is going to charity why dispute it. I do have to say Miguel, their right hand man, was the best of the best! Good Luck to you Miguel!

Exceptional Place to Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member fun4family2travel

We arrived via private car service from San Jose (conveniently arranged by Maria at Issimo). We were warmly greeted and provided complimentary fresh watermelon drinks as the staff efficiently whisked away our luggage. We stayed for 7 nights in beautiful Suite 5 which is located one floor up from the main level. It has a private entrance and nice balcony overlooking breath taking water and jungle views. The room was large (maybe 700 sq ft) with floor to ceiling glass to enjoy full views also from inside. We had a very comfortable king size bed and our 11 and 15 yr old sons slept in twin beds on the opposite side of the room which appear to otherwise serve as backless couches. Because the space was large and well designed, we were able to separate the sleeping areas with privacy screens provided by the hotel. The room had a nice coffee/snack center with small fridge and two large walk-in closets for storage. Hibiscus blooms were tucked into towels formed as swans and washrags formed as flowers each day in addition to candles and scented oils which the staff lit each night….very romantic and our sons enjoyed the ambience as well! We asked for extra (screens) to create additional privacy for the shower area. This solved the complaints mentioned in other postings and wasn't an issue for our American family!

We were treated like royalty every minute we were at Issimo…by the exceptional staff and welcoming owners (Tim and Linda). We ate dinner there twice and found the menu somewhat limited though the food was fresh, well prepared and had good presentation (understandable since there are 10 suites and most patrons eat dinner elsewhere). The dining area is open and overlooks the water and the pool. It also has two separate sitting areas to relax, read or watch the outdoor TV. Breakfast is complimentary. They serve fresh squeezed orange juice, excellent coffee, plates of fresh fruit and a choice between about six different “hot” or several cold breakfast selections.

The Spa is located on the main level adjacent to the dining area and is beautifully appointed. I selected a 90 minute massage given by Linda (proprietor and operator) and believe it was one of the best I’ve ever had the pleasure of receiving. Do not entertain any preconceived notions about the proprietors professional ability. She was amazing!

Issimo has an on-site shuttle that can take guests to Manual Antonio Beach. The hotel offers good quality boogie boards and towels for free check out. You may rent quality surf boards, long boards, etc. directly on the beach for either a fee per hour, half-day or full day (about $30 US). It is easy to catch a cab for the return and costs around 2000 Colonies ($4 US). The public bus will drop you at the corner of the main and access road for about 50 cents US but you DO NOT want to walk the approx. 1 miles access road leading to Issimo Suites. It is very bad and must be negotiated carefully and slowly by car. It was one of the worst we traveled in Quepos which is surprising considering it accesses 4 hotels: La Mariposa (just off the main road so not too affected); La Mansion (reputed as Hotel of the Stars); Issimo Suites; and The Parador Hotel.. As a guest in this otherwise AMAZING country, I would think this should be considered part of the experience and not as a focal point that spoiled it.

Lastly, if an outdoor balcony is important, please be sure to ask Maria which Suites are available since not all have them. She is very accommodating and will send pictures that are not posted on their website. She will also help you coordinate tours if required. Be aware that all tour agents are compensated per person for their bookings.

Enjoy your stay at Issimo where you'll feel like you're saying goodbye to family when you leave.

Gracias! Jim & Kim (Bradenton, FL)

Great place for couples (not sure about families)

by TripAdvisor Member Jonathan007

Following appalling service at the Parador (please don't stay there), we found the Issimo Suites. The staff were very friendly, efficient, considerate and attentive (genuine and not pushy like so much US-style 'customer service').

The rooms were large and open plan: large double bed with jacuzzi in the centre of the room. Walk in shower similalry situated and not much privacy and toilet with swing doors (though some rooms do have seperate toilet). Consequently many of the rooms are suited to couples (not just us europeans as one reviewer commented - I mean it's a bit odd if you haven't seen your wife/ husband in the nude, but I guess this might be an issue for conservative americans...).

The rooms have cable and a well stocked mini bar. They also have a safe and plenty of storage space. Our room had wall to ceiling double-glazing and an excellent view of the bay - ideal for sunset.

We ate dinner one night in the hotel and the food was to a good standard, the service to a high standard. The menu was relatively restricted but I wouldn't expect anything else in a hotel restaurant of this size and at least it meant the food was fresh and not frozen or re-heated.

The hotel has access to the beach, and if you are prepared to swim out for 15 mins provides for some excellent snorkelling popular with local boat cruises.

Hotel pool is good and has a great view, but perhaps could have done with some more thought: no poolside seats or bar; pool 4 meters deep and apparently designed for scuba diving training - I have no idea why but there you go. Nonethelesss it was ideal for cooling off. They also have goggles and flippers etc for snorkelling at the nearby beach which is a short drive followed by 5 min walk.

Breakfast was good value, but did run out of food one morning which was dissapointing.

The hotel has an excellent spa and the girls in our party reported the best facials they have ever had and, with a few extra treatments thrown in for nothing, thought it good value for money.

Overall I would definitely recommend, but best to try for a deal like we did. We got the rooms minus tax with 20% discount, but still think they made a healthy profit from us!

Great Small Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JBG8

We stayed at Issimo for 5 nights and found the hotel staff very friendly and accomodating. Each suite is a little bit different. We booked Suite #3, but were given #5. After some inital haggling, the manager apologized, but could not move us to #3. Instead, we spent 2 nights in #5 and then were upgraded to the Presidential Suite for the rest of our stay. Can't complain about that! The Presidential Suite was beautiful-- 2 floors, full kitchen, 2 full bathrooms, private swimming pool (good size), outdoor shower (with a curtain)and a large L-shaped wrap around deck with great views of the Pacific. (Suite #5 was fine-- nothing wrong with it, but it just wasn't what we reserved.)
There were some problems with the phone service and internet connections, but it is Costa Rica after all! Also, the accomodocations were not immaculant, but pretty clean and the couches which are two twin mattresses on wood platforms arranged in an L-shaped with an animal print cover (I guess to hide the fact that they are twin matresses) are not attractive. (The purpose of them is evident-- so that more people can fit into the rooms, but I didn't care for them and they didn't have backs on them, so not very comfortable for sitting.)
Also, I completely agree with the other posts about the separation between the bathrooms and the rest of the room-- there is none. They will put in "privacy shades" for people that are sharing rooms, but the room set-up makes more sense for couples not sharing rooms with others (unless sharing with small children).
Overall, we really enjoyed our experience there (especially the staff who were so nice) and would certainly recommend Issimo to couples.

Best service ever!

by TripAdvisor Member ADRock

Best service, rooms, views. Like every staff member is your own concierge. Would not bother to write, but this place is worth the effort.

Looking down from the top of the fallsLooking down from the top of the falls

In the raftIn the raft

Somewhere on the west coastSomewhere on the west coast

Marlintinis Restaurant and BarMarlintinis Restaurant and Bar

resol777

by resol777

are there no cheap places to stay that are geared for surfers moving day to day?

Re: resol777

by Suzie3

You could check this web site out....

Re: resol777

by ddrica

Moving day to day is not the top travel option in Costa Rica. Travel takes extensive amounts of time because of bad road conditions. I would suggest picking one good surfing spot and sticking to it. Mal Pais/Santa
Teresa is a good spot for surfing. If you can not find affordable places there, you could stay in Montezuma which is a behomian little village cool for hanging out. You can go from there by buse about an hour away. If you plan on surfing everyday then you would probably want to stay in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area.

Another area to check out would be Dominical. It is small but the ocean is only suritable for surfing because People drown there on a regular basis because of underestimating and swimming.

If you need more info. about how to get to either of these places let me know and I will try to check back and fill you in.

Comments