Hotel La Mariposa
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Gorgeous Views from La Mariposa

We didn't stay at La Mariposa Hotel, but we did visit for a sunset cocktail and it was fantastic. Simply gorgeous views! You can sit in the pool while at the bar, literally, or at the patio tables. Absolutely something you must do when in Manuel Antonio.

Unique Quality: Awesome views.

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Attitude Adjustment

I hardly give bad critiques about anything...hotel, food and all...but this place was one of the worst experiences I've ever encountered with travelling.

I had reserved a room for 2...with 2 double beds for my girl friend and I....and we showed to find 1 double bed...and they didn't have another option for us. They were not apologetic...nor helpful in any way...and after a long travel to get there...it was not a fun day. I absolutely could not believe the attitude.

I just checked their website...and Conde Neste is one of my favorite critiques of magazines...and it looks like they've given this hotel great reviews. Perhaps it has changed a bit...and it is a beautiful hotel...but not any better than the others in this area...and I guess I just want to warn about making sure you get a confirmation and reconfirmation of your type of room reserved. Because even though I had the documentation to prove my reservation...they still charged me the $5000 USD when we didn't even stay one night.!!!

• Not recommended

Friends told me that La Mariposa hotel used to be one of the best hotels in Costa Rica 20 years ago. It seems that today it is only a distant memory of its celebrated past. Somehow it has not aged well. Some much needed renovations are missing and the staff members act like they are offering you superior service, when in fact they are not.
    The view from the hotel is nice, but so is the view from a lot of other hotels in the area, which cost much less.
    The new rooms are way too plain to be contemporary. I have stayed at much cheaper 3-star hotels with better rooms and bathrooms.
    The service is impersonal. Usually, when I go to Cost Rica I get close with the staff members. By the end of my trip we are definitely on a first-name basis. I don’t think that anybody at the Mariposa ever learned my name.
    The Mariposa is not worth the money and lacks the intangible qualities that a hotel should have. It is impersonal and way too expensive for what it offers. There are a lot of other hotels with a great view in the area that are more luxurious, have better hospitality and lower prices than the Mariposa.

• Best Views!!!!!!!!!

This hotel on top of the mountain is the best place to watch the sunset. The staff are very helpful. However, you have to be careful when reserving because free breakfast is advertised on their website, but it is not for all rooms. Confirm before you get to the hotel.

Unique Quality: The pool's cascading fall is out of this world. The landscape of the the hotel is very pretty.

More about La Mariposa Hotel

Disappointing Hotel!

We stayed at La Mariposa for four nights in June, 2005, in a Premier Suite ($215/night, less 10% off for staying four nights).

Here's the scoop:

On the plus side, the view from our suite was amazing. Beach, jungle, lizards, ocean! Private balcony. Nice!

On the minus side... lots of disappointments, especially considering the price we paid.

The biggest problem: the air conditioning. In our four days there, it was never cool enough to be comfortable. When we complained (immediately upon arrival), we were told that there was a problem with the air conditioner that would require maintenance, but when the maintenance man came (an hour after our call), we were told (in Spanish -- maintenance people there don't speak any English), that we weren't operating it properly (there's a remote they give you to operate the A/C, but without any instructions). So, he changed the remote setting for us and told us to be patient for 1/2 hour. Alas, no luck. The next morning we complained and we were again told we weren't operating it properly. So, they changed the settings for us and we tried again. Still no luck. Eventually we got tired of complaining. The room was VERY UNCOMFORTABLE to sleep in when it got hot and/or humid (which was much of the time!)

Another couple told us about their air conditioning problems: their room was far too cold! The management did nothing to help them, despite their repeated complaints.

The A/C problem was exacerabated by the fact there are no screens on the windows (nor are there any ceiling fans), so when we tried to get fresh air we also got a couple dozen mosquitos (within only 30 minutes of the door being open).

We had problems with the room safe (it took them 24 hours to get it working for us); we had many problems with the plumbing (our toilet either wouldn't flush or would require 60 seconds of strenuous pumping); there was significant mold in the shower; there were tiny ants and spiders throughout the suite; the shower pressure rapidly changed when we turned it on and twice caused flooding in the bathroom. (The mangement was helpful in getting us towels to soak up the water on the floor.)

The night manager, Joe, was lax in responding. The day managers were better. The staff are generally very pleasant. The maids were thorough (they daily arranged and tidied up all of our belongings, which I had mixed feelings about).

Management never followed up on any of our needs or complaints, just to see how were were doing -- we initiated all communications.

We ate one breakfast there, which was wonderful.

We had a drink and appetizer at the pool bar, which was terrific.

The location is very convenient to Quepos and the park.

Strong recommendation: for the money, stay somewhere else!! Perhaps The Parador (which looked Amazing), or Makanda...

Feel free to write with questions.

-Michael

Best Hotel in Manuel Antonio

Originally we were staying at Villas Nicolas in Manuel Antonio but quickly left due to lack of cleanliness, presence of cockroaches and other insects, and infestation of MOLD.

We went to visit many of the hotels in Manuel Antonio before choosing La Mariposa. The other Hotels we saw were:
1. Makanda by the Sea: very nice, but over our budget
2. Hotel Parador: my wife liked it but I thought it was nothing special. The cheapest garden view standard room was $175/night and the room was nothing special. I thought it was very overprices although it did have a very elegant restaurant and lobby.
3. Issimo - good value but the person showing us the property was worse than a used car sales man. He would have done anything to get us in that hotel...too aggressive so we decided not to stay there because we did not want to deal with him. But for those that don't care, you can get an excellent deal for a great suite.
4. Hotel Si Como No: the rooms we saw were large but had that common mold smell apparent in most jungle room hotels. Since we were disgusted by the mold at Villas Nicolas we decided to not stay at Si Como No.

We opted for Hotel Mariposa. They did not have any standard or premium rooms available. The only room available was a spectacular junior suite with Jacuzzi on the balcony. The views were amazing, by far the best in Manual Antonio. The suite itself was simply decorated, clean, and very comfortable. We paid $170/night with breakfast included. There was no MOLD and no insects. I think this is also due to the fact that the hotel is above the jungle rather than inside the jungle like Villas Nicolas and Si Como No. We spent a full day just relaxing on the balcony overlooking the view and watching animals such as monkeys, sloths, and birds.

I agree with previous posts that the hotel is not a four season style hotel. It is more oldschool classic elegance. We really enjoyed our stay here but I cannot say much on the other rooms (standard or Premium), as our room was a Junior Suite. I do think that $170/night is a great value for a Junior Suite. Take a look at the pictures!

Don't leave MA without trying La Mariposa!

by TripAdvisor Member geopam

I am originally Costa Rican with plenty of family to stay with but opted for LA MARIPOSA for the first week due to the fact this was our weddingmoon. We married on the beach! We booked a Junior Suite with a jacuzzi. Stunning views, captivating sunsets, I know it sounds cliche but if you're looking for a little slice of paradise look no further than this place. The gardens alone look like a botanical garden. they garden and landscape there everyday! I saw it with my own eyes.
very courteous and meticoulous service.
waiters are excellent. don't hesitate in asking them for travel tips, they'revery honest and helpful people.
our last two nights, there was a problem with the hot water pipes on our side of the hotel. we reported the problem and 5 minutes later were upgraded for free to a Premiere Suite, more modern open spaces, more updated amenities, but no jacuzzi!! still, it was a very nice ending to our trip.
Front desk personnel, absolutely outstanding!!
Black fellow, named Pedro will always greet you with a smile from ear to ear and will always go the extra mile to make sure you're taken care of. Also, Raul, another very nice guy. He helped me find my photographer for the picutres of the ceremony.
Oh yeah, um, a word of caution, there is no TV. None. In any of the rooms.
If you're going for some serious R&R, this shouln't even faze you. Besides, there's so many things to do there, I always got to our room late at night. We were so tired from the days activities, we just chilled in the jacuzzi, dried off in the balcony, and went straight to bed.
This place is magical. It has a charm that you'll only understand once you go there. As far as the negative reviews I've seen, I expericenced nothing of the sort, and I'm sure it was just an unfortunate and isolated incident. Happy travels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful hotel/wonderful staffing

by TripAdvisor Member honestBob2

On a one week trip throughout Costa Rica, this hotel was the best of the four we stayed at and one of the best in Costa Rica. I brought my 18 year old daughter and my 12 year old son.
The room we had was on the top floor of the hotel with one of the most breathtaking views one will ever see. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Breakfasts were very good and the dinners are among the best in the area. Once again an increadible view from the open air dining area.
The hotel has a couple of pools, one large and one "bar" pool..with another spectacular view.
I have been to this area eight times in the last three years, this being my first stay at the Mariposa. I definitely will return to this hotel on my future trips.

place to stay

by sharri42

Where is the nicest place to stay in Quepos? We would like to take day trips from there.

Re: place to stay

by daneryland

La Mariposa hotel is a very good choice to stay at Quepos. This hotel has a very good location and one can enjoy the beautiful views of 'Manuel Antonio' beach from the hotel. The beach is at walking distance. Moreover, the hotel is very clean and the staff is very cooperative.

Re: place to stay

by eozoe

Are you wondering a place to stay in Quepos town, or closer to Manuel Antonio? What is your budget?

Comments