Quepos Hotels

Our Members Say

• Phalaenopsis03 profile photo Phalaenopsis03
  • Reviews: 434

Vista Serena Hostel: A Hangout for the College Kids

From La Garita, Alajuela, I decided to visit Manuel Antonio for a couple of days. Since it was a last minute idea, I did a quick research on the internet and found this hostel, which boasted of catering to the young. So I called to see if there were any vacancies and spoke directly to Conrad, the owner, a Southern California guy (from Riverside) turned ex-pat, and along with his brother Alex and their mom, manages Vista Serena. With a thick surfer accent, Conrad informed me that he'd hook me up so that I'd only have to pay $40 for the night for a private room instead of $50. However, the following night, I'd need to transfer over to their 14-bed dorm room (only $10/night). Now that wasn't so fun, not because I'd be staying with 13 other hostelers, but because I got so many bug bites there. The majority of my bites, I got from that damn dorm room. Itchy!

The hostel is situated atop a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. With the hammocks provided it's easy to just waste the day away, which I saw many hostelers do. Due to its location, there are many lizards to be found on the property. At night, you can hear them on the dorm roof scurrying back and forth. One evening when I was returning to my dorm, I saw a three inch lizard sneak into the room.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Eco-Tourism
  • Written December 13, 2008
Tip Photo

• patamus profile photo patamus
  • Reviews: 1

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villas Mymosa: Nice Place Bad Timming

It was the last night of our 8 night trip.. While this was by far the nicest room we had during our trip the events that took place at the hotel kind of changed the tone of our trip. We checked in but our room wasn't ready but they agreed to hold our bags until the room became available and they gave us breakfast vouchers with our supposed room number printed on them. So we took a cab back to the hotel. When we arrived on site at 4:00 PM we were told that the A/C Unit in "OUR” room went out and was being occupied by the A/C crew that was switching out the unit. The told us that the crew would be another hour or so and suggested we use the pool. We changed in to our suits but couldn't find any towels in the room. So we used the pool for about 45 minutes and then went inside to get ready for our evening out. While the A/C crew only took up part of the room my wife had to stay in the bathroom while she showered and got ready and I couldn't settle in because the A/C guys were working adjacent to the TV and some of the guys were even standing around watching it with me. While I wasn't upset about the crew in our room at first I was upset that our room was actually given to someone else and we were stuck with this room even after we checked in 6 hours earlier. As the time ticked by I became increasingly peeved because the A/C unit looked far from being completed. I went to the office around 5:30 Approximately 1.5 Hrs after we occupied the room. The original receptionist was gone and there was a middle age man named Ron at the desk. Assuming he was the owner or the manager I politely began to tell him about our situation expecting him to be apologetic or at least empathetic to our situation.

Contd. However, he only seemed to want to defend the hotel and explain that he was doing his part by having the A/C unit changed out and essentially implied that we had to just deal with it. I told him although I realized the situation, I felt as though he should do something for us to compensate for the inconvenience. He hummed and hawed and ran over to our room and began to discuss the situation with the A/C guys and then said "well there working on it "and then he again rushed off and finally came back and begrudgingly said why don't you go to the bar for a drink on the house. I thought that given the situation he should have tried to be more accommodating and offered us some food or perhaps a partial refund on our room price. But I got the drinks and went back to the room and tried to keep a positive attitude. Finally the crew finished about 6:40 PM almost 3 hours after we returned to the hotel. The guys left quite a bit of debris lying around and although I work in the construction industry and understand that construction sites aren’t the cleanest place I had enough and on our way out to dinner I told Ron (who actually is the owner) that it was un-acceptable that our room was still under going construction at 6:40 at night and the only thing he wanted to do for us was comp. us a couple of drinks. He then emphatically said “Well that all we are going to do “I took left to have dinner at La Avion a Truly unique restaurant but because of the days events I just couldn't un-wind. I definitely wouldn't suggest this hotel based on the lack of service. However, I will say the rooms we very nice and clean. The only reason I gave it an average rating is because after my wife left her watch at the hotel Ron sent the watch back to us through one of his quests that were returning to the states. Other than that I would have given the Hotel a D- using the Scholastic grading system.

• Written December 1, 2007

• ledzfilter profile photo ledzfilter
  • Reviews: 3

Costa Rican Backpackers: Great Youth Hostel

This place was fantastic. Beds were clean and cheap, and the bathrooms were in pristine condition. The staff was really friendly, too. There were a million kids coming in and out of here, and although I was only there for 3 days, I managed to meet people from Israel, New Zealand, Canada, Belgium and Germany.

They had a pool, and cheap internet usage. The laptop they had was a little outdated, but it was sufficient for email. They also had a payphone that was easy to use once you bought a calling card. All the taxi drivers in town also knew where this place was, very convenient for late night (less than sober) trips home.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Study Abroad
  • Written March 13, 2007

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

DiDi's Charming House B&B: A taste of Italy in ole Costa Rica

We stayed at Didi's in May of 2005 for 2 nights. It is located about halfway between quepos and Manuel Antonio NP. We paid about $42USD total for a room including breakfast. Our room was very large, w/ TV, frenchdoors to balconey, large bath, fan and no A/C A/C rooms are available, but it was not overly hot when we were there. Our room was very comfortable and the breakfasts were excellent, served on the comfortable, long front porch of the building. One outstanding feature of the breakfasts was the espresso Didi's husband Ezio prepares on his commercial style machine (actually he was quite proud of his barrista skills and would make lattes for us any time of day). Parking is rather tight and it is a bit scary getting out of their drive as they are on a sharp bend of the highway and there is a bit of a blind spot. Ezio speaks good English, Didi's is passing. They are a couple of Italian expats and most interesting to talk with. We saw many birds, frogs and iguanas on the property.

Convenient to both Quepos and Manuel Antonio NP, yet not in town.

• Related to: National/State Park
  • Written January 19, 2007

• Kindra profile photo Kindra
  • Reviews: 600

Hostel Costa Linda: Cheapest place in Manuel Antonio

About 100 metres up from the one small main road in Manuel Antonio town. A series of simple rooms equipped with beds for 1, 2 or 3 people, most with fans. Bathrooms are single sex and public with only 2 cold water showers (curtains are see-through) and 2 toilets. Cheapest and most convenient place to stay in Manuel Antonio at $10 US a night or 5100 colones. Breakfast is served every morning until 10am and 1500 colones will give you a massive breakfast of coffee, eggs to your liking, gallo pinto, pancakes and fresh fruit! They also serve dinner around 6 pm and it is often free (something simple like pasta with vegetables or meat sauce).

Not the nicest hostel in Costa Rica but a solid budget destination close to the park where you can meet other young budget travelers.

Make sure you rinse off that beach sand in the outside shower before going into the bathrooms!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written June 2, 2006

• Helga67 profile photo Helga67
  • Reviews: 2612

Costa Verde II: More monkeys than people

Costa Verde II is part of the Hotel Costa Verde, which contains several blocks scattered over an area located on a hill in the rain forest. The hotel has 3 restaurants (1 on the property, 2 on the main road). Each block has a swimming pool. There are some walking trails, however, not well maintained.
I heard that some blocks are downhill and quite a long walk up to the restaurant.

Costa Verde II has spacious studios with a big balcony overlooking the ocean and wonderful sunsets. The rooms have a kichenette, small bathroom, two twin beds, vent and free safe, and rocking chairs on the balcony. The big windows have no glass only mosquito nets in the window frame. All day and all night you can hear the rain forest noices. This is the only block with adult swimming pool.

Every day squirrel monkeys or white-faced monkeys had their morning or sunset walk in the trees next to our window and balcony. It was amusing seeing the little ones jumping from one tree to another. There are indeed more monkeys than people around the hotel.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written January 30, 2006

Costa Verde II

• sean420 profile photo sean420
  • Reviews: 128

La Colina: La Colina - 1/2 from Quapos to Manuel Antonio

Beautiful property located about half way between Quepos and Manuel Antonio park. We got a great deal on a room ($40/night in the low season) but were told that they were having trouble with the hot water heater and that hot water sometimes might not be available. We were tired after a log day of driving so we decided to take the room anyway. It turned out that we never had any hot water for the two night we were there and strangle enough the other guests did have hot water so maybe it was isolated to our room. The weather was hot enough so that taking a cold shower wasn't too bad. We had a standard room that had good air conditioning and satelite tv.

Most of the staff at the reception and the two owners were a bit stand offish with the exception of the bartenders who were very friendly and engaging in conversation.

All and all I enjoyed staying there and would come back again as long as they had the hot water working.

There are two small pools connected by a waterfall and one has a swim up bar that is also connected to the restaurant. Breakfast was included and the food was average. Dinner was a bit on the expensive side and was also average in quality. Manuel Antonio is pretty touristy and seems to be able to get away with average food at higher prices than what we found in many parts of the rest of the country.

• Written June 18, 2005

The Pool at La Colina

• asufan profile photo asufan
  • Reviews: 7

Hotel La Colina: Hotel La Colina

Hotel La Colina is located mid-way between Quepos and Manuel Antonio beach. It is up on the ridge and provides a nice view of the ocean (although not of Manual Antonio beach). This is a smaller complex, with only about 12 units -- doubles and ocean view suites.

The suites are located at the top of the property and offer nice views and the added benefit of a nice cross breeze in the evening. The accomodations are nice, though not extravagent.

Overall the grounds of the hotel are tropic and lush. The pool area is nice for evening drinks or just cooling off (the pool is just big enough to take a dip, not for swimming around... which is fine - go to the beach if you want to swim. There is a swim-up bar and a small restaurant.

The service is friendly, and everyone who works there is happy to help out and give suggestions. Everyone speaks English.

There is a bus stop within walking distance, but it is down a steep hill. The hotel is not really near anything (other hotels or bars, etc.) -- which makes it more secluded, but also isolated.

PROs... small, quiet, lush grounds, ocean views, friendly staff.

CONs... food/drink prices are a little high, bus stop is down a steep hill, no other bars/restaurants are nearby, the suites are up a TON of steep steps on the property.

The ocean view suites have nice views that offer the opportunity for great sunsets. The coconut margaritas at the bar are excellent.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written May 30, 2005

Sunset from room

• twoinluv profile photo twoinluv
  • Reviews: 55

El Mirador del Pacifico: Treehouse in the Jungle

El Mirador del Pacifico has 2 lodging areas, as well as 2 treehouses. They have a nice view of the ocean and a very clean & pretty pool. We stayed in one of the treehouses, which is 2 stories tall. The bottom level is the bathroom, and the top is an extremely large bedroom, with 2 beds, a kitchen, and a terrific porch. It includes a delicious breakfast at the quaint restaurant on site.

• Related to: Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written February 17, 2005

A Treehouse Hotel

• twoinluv profile photo twoinluv
  • Reviews: 55

El Mirador del Pacifico: Treehouse in the jungle

The best part of this hotel was the sign that was poorly translated as you can see from the picture, and the fact that we experienced a minor earthquake at 5:30 in the morning while staying here. Don't let that scare you, this area is prone to very small tremors. It is rather exciting.

• Related to: Family Travel, Jungle and Rain Forest, Beaches
  • Written February 17, 2005

Tasty Treat

• BEETLE_VERTE profile photo BEETLE_VERTE
  • Reviews: 378

La Colina: Luxurious hidden little hotel

Very luxurious, we felt like royalty! The rooms are beautiful, clean and well equiped (tv, fan, safe, bathroom and hot water...). Breakfast included, which we had in the open air restaurant. We paid a little over 50S US / night. The real dispointing point about this place is the staff and the up charges for everything. We stayed 4 nights and no one could recognised us. The meals at the restaurant at night were astronomicaly expensive and not that good (good, but not for the price). They had to charge us high fees for everything (3$/day for a safe, 10$ for a load of laundry, 1$ for a local phone call, ...). We had a message left for us at the reception but we only got it when we went there for something else... We couldn't put our meals "on the room" and had to pay cash each time. It's a very nice place but these things get on my nerves pretty quickly!

The room and surrounding are breath taking. Perch at the top of the mountain sepparating Quepos from Manuel Antonio, the view on the ocean (and sunset!) is wonderful. Our room was beautiful and well equiped (tv, safe and most important shelves, dresser and closet when you travel with a backpack). Almost floor to celing wodden windows on two side. Hidden in the forest. Beautiful little wet bar in the pool. Great view from the thoughtfully decorated outdoor restaurant.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 8, 2005

La Colina

• smokeysf profile photo smokeysf
  • Reviews: 11

Big Ruby’s La Plantacion Hotel: Gay Luxury in Quepos

This was an amazingly plush stay. After touring Costa Rica for 3 weeks we decided to splurge and spend a bit more money for our last few days.

It was well worth it.

Beautifully manicured grounds, a large infinity pool, huge king sized beds with amazing pillows and linen, complimentary cocktails at the bar at cocktail hour, community pool table and reading room, wonderful breakfasts, tv/video with complimentary videos.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Luxury Travel
  • Written October 17, 2004

• frank_delargy profile photo frank_delargy
  • Reviews: 175

Natures Beachfront Aparthotel: Nature's Aparthotel on the beach

Well, The location is terrific, the rooms are a bit funky and the road to get to it requires a 4WD.
If you want the closest rental place to the Manuel Antonio NP , this would be a good choice. I did see hotels that seemed to be closer to the park, but none of them were right in the beach like this is.
We were there in the 'wet' season, which means it rains at night and with a tin roof, no windows (screens and bars) you can imagine the din it was with the rain pounding on the tin roof, the loud jungle sounds and the roar of the surf. Let's just say that the night I slept in downtown Manhattan, above the fire station, was quieter than this.. but these were all nature's noises.
We rented the Penthouse, which was big enough for 5 of us.
If you want air conditioning & glass windows, this is not for you..

Funky.. Very talkative hostess.. Wildlife can be fantastic.
The view of nature is the best at any place I have ever stayed.. and I have stayed at a lot of great places. See the view on the intro page .. We had a troupe of over 30 monkeys come visit us.
The TV did not work.. which was fine with me.
here is info from their web page on rates, etc
--------------------------
Private Top Floor Suite...(Penthouse)
Beachfront view. White sand below extra large deck with hammocks, lounge chairs, dining table and BBQ. Adjoins fully equipped kitchen with bar. Nicely furnished living room area converts into sleeping area, sofa opens into a double bed, also has an extra double bed. Locking, walk-in closet. Safety deposit box. Separate Large bedroom nicely furnished with king size bed which converts to a double and single bed, 32" Direct TV. Two bath. Private. Maid service. Sleeps 7.
*Rates High Season: Dec 15th to April 20th - $159 daily,
monthly 4 days free.
* Rates Low Season: April 20th to Dec 15th - $139 daily,
monthly 5 1/2 days free.
**************************************************
Luxury Studios...
Beachfront view. White sand below large patio with hammocks, lounge chairs, tables and BBQ. Adjoins fully equipped kitchenet, teca sofa opens into double bed, with extra teca double bed, bath and maid service. Sleeps 4.
Rates High Season: Dec. 15th to April 20th-$89 daily
monthly 4 days free
Rates Low Season: April 20th to Dec 15th-$79 daily
monthly 5 1/2 days free
**************************************************

Small Studio...
Beachfront view. Double bed, small fridge, hot plate, hot water, short walk to bath, safety deposit box, large patio, lounge chairs and white sand at your door step. Rates High Season: Dec 15th to April 20th - $ 39 single - $45 double daily - monthly 4 days free
Rates Low Season: April 20th to Dec 15th - $ 34 single - $39 double daily - monthly 5 1/2 days free.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, National/State Park, Beaches
  • Written September 16, 2004

view from the hotel

• yelli profile photo yelli
  • Reviews: 50

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

didnt even see a name- by los almendros steakhouse: don't go here!

This place was our last resort, due to some lack of planning and arriving in Manuel Antonio on a Saturday night. The owner was not nice, the only thing he said was how much it cost. The rooms were the most basic I've ever seen one window, one small light in the corner of the ceiling, not even roll for the toilet paper to go on. It was the most expensive hotel we stayed in the entire trip, with the worst value. Luckily the Vela Bar had an opening for the next night...

ONE good thing - it's very close to the park itself.
I'm hoping this is unique...one room has a shower that will shock you (yeah while it's running too) if you try to fix the stream that is spraying out the window....

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, National/State Park
  • Written July 26, 2004

electrocution shower

• yelli profile photo yelli
  • Reviews: 50

Vela Bar Hotel: Lots of good ratings from travel writers

This hotel is perfect for the surroundings. The grounds are lush with flowers, the building itself is interesting with hammocks and unique chairs near all the rooms. There is a great restaurant in front of it, serving excellent food for the price. The service is also very good. They are involved in conservation of the rain forest and protecting endangered species, like the squirrel monkeys that you can see everywhere. The rooms are $8 more if you want air conditioning (definitely a good idea since the windows in some rooms aren't that big)

This is one of the closest hotels to the park entrance, which will save money and you won't have to go through the hassle of trying to get a taxi or catch a bus.
I definitely reccomend the restaurant. Make sure you see the specials for the day, they usually include seafood.

• Related to: School Holidays, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons