Makanda by the Sea
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

• Luxurious getaway for the priviledged!

A great getaway in the jungle. Big and luxurious rooms, great ocean views, good pool, excellent food. We would stay here again in a flash. Thanks to the staff Leo, Jorge, Darwin and Jose for making our stay extra special!

Unique Quality: Small and private with great service.

• Another happy honeymooner!

My new husband and I enjoyed our honeymoon at this hotel in July and we are still talking about it. What a wonderful spot we found. The property only had around 10 rooms, its own beach, a great poolside restaurant and talk about monkeys!! We woke up everyday and went to bed each night with them playing around our villa. We loved the staff, they became like family to us. Hola to Leo, Melissa, Christopher, Danilo and Maria!! Definitely take their suggestions and do the canopy tour, snorkeling, national park and the whitewater rafting. We had a blast on all of them. We can't wait to come back to Costa Rica, we could not have picked a better spot to celebrate our honeymoon!

Unique Quality: The privacy and no kids policy is wonderful!

Directions: We followed the road towards the national park and turned off at the sign by Barba Roja Restaurant.

• JessieB's Profile Photo

The perfect end to our Costa Rica honeymoon

We stayed at Hotel Makanda for our honeymoon and loved it. The rooms are huge and elegant with large terraces where we hung out on the hammock. Loved that. Lots of monkeys around the pool and property, so we spent alot of time there. Their beach is not great, too rocky, but again we saw monkeys there so it was worth going to. Our favorite part was the food at their Sunset Restaurant....amazing. I still think about the fresh fish quesadilla...delicious. Definitely do the canopy Zipline tour, whitewater rafting and the park hike. We did and all of them were a blast! We hope to go back some day soon.

Unique Quality: Very private, no kids!

Directions: ON the way to the National Park

• Adults Only Paradise in Manuel Antonio

We took a long overdue getaway and spent some fantastic time at this hotel. Great ocean views and monkeys and other animals everywhere. Breakfast served to our room each morning was definitely a bonus, we really liked that. The staff was very friendly, but not overly so. We enjoyed sunset cocktails each evening by the pool, the perfect romantic setting.

Unique Quality: The views at Hotel Makanda are to die for, but the monkeys all over really seal the deal. We liked that an was an easy walk to some great restaurants and Sports Bars. Try Hotel Byblos for sports and tropical dance lessons at night, and the best pizza. We like Agua Azul for lunch each day, the best food and great views. Sushi at Barba Roja restaurant was memorable too.

Directions: Main road to park, turn right at Cafe Milagro and go about 2 miles following the signs.

• FunnyF's Profile Photo

Fun in the sun in Manuel Antonio

This was a real find on our trip to Costa Rica. Small, intimate with fabulous views, staff and food. The monkeys coming to our terrace was an added bonus. We will definitely be back!

Unique Quality: Adults only. Private. No noise!

Directions: Near Cafe Milagro on the way to the park

• Unsurpassed in the Manuel Antonio area!

This hotel was absolutely tops during our recent vacation. The adults only atmosphere is exactly what the doctor ordered. Great food, staff, ocean views, huge rooms and the location was perfect. We checked out a few of the other luxury hotels in the area in case we wanted to stay somewhere else on our next visit, but nothing even came close to this wonderful property. We canĀ“t wait to come back to Costa Rica again, we loved it!!

Unique Quality: Adults Only. Great Animal watching. Hammock on terrace to watch ocean views and sunsets. Full kitchens in room. Friendly staff.

Directions: On the turnoff for parador hotel

More about Makanda By The Sea Hotel

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member travelman12

We just came back from 6 nights at Makanda during their "peak season" and we still felt like we had the place to ourselves. In my opinion, this is what sets this hotel apart from the others in the Manuel Antonio area. We visited Si Como No and La Mariposa and both are equally as nice but lack the intimacy that Makanda offers. Our studio was spacious and the view was breathtaking as were the grounds. We saw monkeys almost everyday. The staff is very friendly and the service was excellent.

Thinks it's better than it is

The room was stunning, but a couple of things detracted from our enjoyment. This hotel is so "exclusive" that our personal guide was not allowed onto the premises. This is an uncomfortable and undemocratic rule in an otherwise friendly and egalitarian country - we (British) were astonished. I realise they are trying to make it "special" but we were embarassed to have our guide wait at the gate for us - we had to go out to share a drink with him and plan our next day. The evening meal was very good and the poolside location very romantic. The staff were very friendly and sweet. The breakfasts were really not up to scratch though - delivered to your room in a cool box and not very generous portions. No sense of luxury about that! Especially as you make your own coffee and they charge you for the milk. Why not a proper tray with linen? I loved looking out over the bay from the bed and the privacy was quite good in spite of being open on all sides, but there are a lot of hotels crammed onto that hillside - you are not out on some lonesome promontary. The bathroom was good with flowers everywhere, but the lighting was too low, and frankly, as a woman on holiday by the sea, I need to be able to see to shave my legs! There are too many "luxury" hotels that give no thought to this - men have lovely well-lit mirrors and we girls end up balancing with one foot in the sink! Kind of detracts from the sense of being pampered! We mostly enjoyed our stay but would not choose the hotel again.

A great find

by TripAdvisor Member meredith1722

I almost gave Makanda 5 stars, and the only two reasons I didn't were that it is a probably a little overpriced for what it offers, and they didn't get our breakfast order correct once! We really did love our four nights there, though. Our villa (#10) was secluded and romantic. It was larger than apartments I used to live in! We were lucky enough to be woken up by the spider monkeys each morning- they provided hours of entertainment from our balcony. The staff was accomodating and tried to make our visit as nice as possible. The pool and surrounding area with the view of the ocean were absoloutely beautiful. We ate dinner there 3 nights, and each time, it was delicious- be sure to try the salmon and the stuffed chicken! Though the restaurant staff was sometimes slow, our meal times gave us a chance to appreciate our setting. We will certainly return to this little piece of paradise we found...

I Teared Up When We Left

by TripAdvisor Member MissusScamper

We stayed in Studio 9 from Jan 30 until Feb 6.

Yes there were some bugs in our room, but we were set in the jungle so I was expecting much worse. Howler monkeys woke us up every morning with their screams and it was surreal. Everything from the flower petals design on the bed, breakfast every morning, the friendly & helpful service by everybody who worked there...it was perfect! The sounds of the jungle and the rhythm of the ocean at night while I relaxed on our hammock; so relaxing! The smells in the air were a combination of lilies and gardenias and wild flowers; lovely!

I didn't put on any bug spray because the smell makes me nauseous and I think I only got bit 2ce. Usually I get BIT like crazy in those situations so I guess I was lucky.

There were so many activities to choose from in the area. It would be a shame to go to Quepos and just lie on a beach or by the infinity pool every single day (not that we didn't do our share of that!). We went surfing, ziplining, and whitewater rafting.

I am so happy that we planned our honeymoon at Makanda as it will always be special to us. I hope to spend many anniversaries there! (if we can afford it!).

Beautiful Setting

by TripAdvisor Member marian

My husband and I stayed at Makanda by the Sea Hotel on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica during the first week of January 2006. The hotel is approximately equidistant between the town of Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park. The setting is absolutely spectacular! The rooms are all situated to maximize privacy and all oriented toward the ocean. Each has its own terrace or balcony. The grounds are very lush and attract a wide variety of butterflies and birds. There are also many monkeys on the property. It is quite a show to sit on your terrace and just watch the wildlife!

The staff is incredibly attentive and will cater to your every need and desire. Although I think they are very reluctant to tell you no something can't be done or that there is a delay (I found this to be true of most Costa Ricans that I met). They will arrange any tours for you that you might want to take (e.g., national park, rain forest, etc.). This makes activities away from the hotel very convenient.

The service in the restaurant is excruciatingly slow (I'm not talking about leisurely, gracious dining -- but painfully and tiresomely slow). We ended up going out to eat most nights; fortunately there are many nice options in the vicinity. However, they deliver breakfast to your room each morning. This is a nice touch and a great (and relaxing!) way to start the day.

The rooms are showing a little wear (at least, ours was). But they are fairly large and comfortable, and the view can't be beat! However, they aren't very well lit so at night it is a little hard to see or read in the room.

All in all, it was a great vacation and I wasn't ready to come home at the end of the week.

Comments