Zancudo Hotels

Our Members Say

• m1nkey profile photo m1nkey
  • Reviews: 87

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sol Y Mar: Secluded beach at the end of the world.

This is a small place with only four cabins and a rental house. There is a nice restaurant with a bar that will make you feel right at home. We only spent a few days there but we wished we had more time to explore more of the area. The owners, Rick and Lori have a welcoming manner and they serve a great meal. THe cabins are simple but comfortable and right on the beach. There are hammocks in the trees and a 6 mile long beach that seems to be deserted most of the time. We were there in low season so I am sure that it is a little different in high season. I am looking forward to going back and taking in some more activities and some fishing. Although swinging in a hammock and watching the sunset can not be beat.

Right on the beach, secluded, pristine, quiet and surrounded by wildlife.

• Related to: Photography, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written October 27, 2013

• ricardo69 profile photo ricardo69

Sol Y Mar: Zancudo's finest

I came here for one or two days and now staying 2 or 3 weeks.
Friendly & helpful staff
Great food & for budget minded great deal & for square heads cheap like borscht.
As I am here in off season paying less than $10.00 per night for small cabin with hot water & wireless internet.
Great beach and competitively priced compared to remote Thailand

• Related to: Water Sports, Fishing, Family Travel
  • Written November 5, 2007

• kizzyfed profile photo kizzyfed

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sol y Mar Zancudo Costa Rica

Don't be fooled by the pictures on the hotel web site. This place is a dump !!
The rooms are dark smelly and desperately need a little work. We stayed at the Sol y Mar for a week off season and I can only guess how much worse it would have been in the height of the summer. The owners were away at the time and this could possibly be the reason for the indifferent attitude of the staff, with the exception of Nelson and the cat who were always friendly.Nelson was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble
Hotel is set in a great location and could have had so much more to offer.
On the plus side it has an excellent restaurant which offers great value for money.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written July 14, 2007

• subboo profile photo subboo

Cabinas Los Cocos: Perfection- thy name is Los Cocos

Los Cocos consists of several cabins run by an amazing couple, Susan and Andrew. All of the cabins are beautiful and pristine- some have thatched roofs and two are colorfully painted old banana plantation cabins. The cabins have fully equipped kitchens. All are tucked away under the cocos providing plenty of needed shade, and within a lovely tropical garden with indigenous plants. This lovely setting is right off the beach- the enormous beach that I felt like I had to myself everyday! They have been in Zancudo for about 20 years, so they really have inside knowledge of this special area. I really cannot say enough positive things about them- fun, funny, knowledgable, helpful, and on and on. This is truly a remote, affordable slice of paradise. Very romantic.

Susan and Andrew are artists, more specifically talented artists and they have given everything that artistic touch. Did I mention the gardens? Think so. I loved swinging in a hammock on my own little porch, staring through the palm trees at the ocean and watching the sunset.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written March 9, 2007

• birchy99 profile photo birchy99
  • Reviews: 182

Oasis On the Beach aka Zancudo Beach Club: TIME TO RELAX AND UNWIND

I'm sure the Beach Club has changed quite a bit since our stay there in "99. However, one can be sure that you will be fairly isolated from the outside world. You can relax, not be bothered by the cares of the rest of the world, and rest the body and soul.
On our visit the owners had barely had half a year to begin refurbishing the place. At that time they had three bungalo cabins, all ensuite, a house with rooms available, giftshop and bar and restaurant, exotic bird aviary and two Bearded Collies. The proprietors and staff were refugees from New England, USA and were learning the ways of doing business with the Ticos.
During our stay we enjoyed the beach, totally isolated, clean and wild with good surf. We also took a hike through the "wild" peninsula with is basically abandoned banana plantations. Mrs. B. took a horse ride down the beach toward Panama and then up into the higher ground through the jungle. More about that later. I spent a day on the water fishing with an Italian expatriate. Then we journeyed across the bay to the Osa Peninsula to spend a couple nights in an eco-resort. As we left, Faulein, our intrepid water taxi driver took us through the Zancudo bayours to Golfito where we caught a flight to San Jose for a two of days before heading home.
We thoughly enjoyed our stay, not say there were some drawbacks, but all in all, it was a real adventure. The hosts were extremely friendly and accomdating, the staff very competent and the Ticos are some of the friendliest people on earth.
I suggest you go to the Zancudo Beach website for current information on rates and accomodations. Yahoo As you can see they have changed the name to Oasis On the Beach

I can't say enough about the isolation factor. This is the place to go to recharge your batteries. No pressures, no cares, no worries.
Excellent staff, friendly, helful, accomodting. facilites are modern. Lots of activities to take part in all of which have a local flare. Excellent opportunity to mingle and meet the local people as many of the guests are Ticos.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Family Travel, Beaches