69 calle 25bis, Barrio California, San Jose, Costa Rica
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Casa 69

Haven

by TripAdvisor Member doesit

We loved this place. We stayed here one night after a four night disappointment in Drake Bay and what a nice treat this was, and sooo reasonable. Our room was clean and beautiful, the staff are just lovely and breakfast, well, I am still craving it. It is in a perfect area, though you won't think that when you initially arrive, but once you explore you will see how wonderful it is. We felt so safe and secure. I would return here a million times if I returned to San Jose, though I can say we found little to be desired in San Jose itself.

The only thing that was a bother was the smoking, but really that was minor. Also the dogs are lovely though could probably be very overwhelming (versions of pit bulls) for anyone who is not an avid dog lover. Thankfully we are so we enjoyed them and I am sure if we didn't the owner would have put them away.

This was such a find.

Safe and Simple

by TripAdvisor Member JBaty

We stayed her for one night on our first evening in CR. It was about a $20 taxi ride from the airport. The Room was small and simple, had a TV/MiniBar/Hot water etc. It was comfortable enough for the price.

Breakfast was fantastic and Kurt was helpful. Nothing negative to say about this place, it was as expected. We enjoyed our stay there, and when Kurt was booked for another date he set us up at a neighboring hotel which was nice of him. The other hotel was ridiculously nice and Kurt hooked us up with the price.

Thank you Kurt!

A great B&B with personality, and excellent value for money

by TripAdvisor Member tikkatica

I thought the reviews might be too good to be true too. Until we got there! We felt welcome and safe, and Kurt & the staff made us feel right at home. The neighborhood may not look too good to a first-timer in San Jose, but after a few days strolling around the city, you realize it is conveniently located, and the area's relatively clean and safe to walk around in. Downtown SJ is a nice easy stroll down Avenida Central.

The rooms are comfortable, clean, and decorated with a nice personal, homey touch. There's a nice little roof deck where you have pretty views of the mountains around San Jose. Breakfast out in the patio started our days off wonderfully, and there are a good number of places within easy walking distance where you can go to for lunch or dinner. There's an Italian (Limoncello) and a Japanese 5 minutes away, among other places. We tried out a few of the sodas in the area (Angels, La Canastita, El Buen Comer) and were quite happy with the inexpensive home-style casados. There's also a Pizza Hut a stone's throw away, but you might want to try the other places first and use that as a last resort.

Kurt was a warm, fun and gracious host, and I would certainly recommend Casa 69 to my friends.

Not enough words to describe...

by TripAdvisor Member marbellie

We booked last minute and to be honest I wasn't sure about it despite all the reviews. Kurt is one of the friendliest hosts I have encountered to date! His decoration and taste in art is impeccable. My cousin and I were on a budget and being women in our mid twenties I thought the B&B might be a little stuffy even though we booked the larger room. Truthfully I could not have been more wrong. He held our bags for us for several days while away in other locations and was pleasant in our bookings while in town. The rooms were kept extremely clean with fresh flowers. I have traveled to other locations where the version of "clean" was not even close to this. I have to make note on the shower. MY LORD. What pressure! I have family in several South American countries and never encountered one where I wanted to stay in the shower forever. It was amazing especially when coming from rigorous adventures in la Fortuna and Monteverde. (He does emphasis conservation of water)
The place was more like a second home without being invasive. He's breakfast was amazing! My cousin could not get enough of the bread. The cheese I ordered was fantastic and the only regret I had is the the portion was so large that I was sorry I didn't even finish half of it. The feel of the veranda and exotic garden inspired me to take pictures so that in the future I could add one to my home.
Kurt was very kind and we appreciated all his advise. I must note that we did go during holy week in which we encountered a ghost town effect on good Friday. When we arrived it was a bit disconcerting to walk around an empty city but we felt very safe in his gated home. Due to the lack of workers in town another guest was not able to take a taxi to the airport at 4 am so Kurt drove him there. I found that the to be so great that I decided to write this review!! I had an amazing time there and Kurt has converted me into a B&B fan.

Nothing else compares

by TripAdvisor Member Girlscout2

This is an oasis. We were in San Jose for 2 days at the beginning and end of our vacation. We had reservations here at the beginning. It feels like home only better. From the warm yellow exterior, the tiled baths decorated in modern chic tones, to the original art work on most walls and the full breakfast served by a cheery staff, this is an incredibly well run establishment. Kirk was our wonderful host, he speaks spanish, german and english and is happy to tell you where all the best places to eat and go are. Kirk was booked when we returned, We had booked another B&B but it was so dirty, smelly and just gross that we left it without unpacking. The next one was only slightly better, we chose the room that stank the least, it's advantage was that it was next to Casa 69 and we hoped someone would cancel and we would have at least one more night at Casa. unfortunately no such luck. Kirk tried to obtain a room at some places he knew, but they were also booked. He invited us over each night for drinks and we had breakfast there as well. He showed us his new B&B across the street. He brought a historic home down to the studs and is creating modern rooms, with high ceilings and and fabulous baths and an outdoor kitchen to compliment the main B&B. We would never, ever consider staying elsewhere in San Jose.

Casa 69 gives you exactly what you want

by TripAdvisor Member t1na

We stayed at Casa 69 on the way to the Santa Teresa and on our way back before going back home again.

Casa 69 gives you exactly what you want:

- Very friendly, very helpful staff
- Simple clean room with a hot water shower
- A really good breakfast with the most lovely fruit juice

All in all very good value for money!

Tips!

If you're going down to Santa Teresa - Pls use the Montezuma transfer service as it's probably the most easy/comfortable way to travel and of really good value.

In San Jose we went to this amazing Hamburger Place which was just 10-15 walk on the main road from the hotel. Soo good!

My Hat off to Kurt

by TripAdvisor Member jbc930

What a find. Casa 69 is almost like home away from home. Kurt, the owner is so accomodating that you want to stay longer. We spent 11 days here in March. We could not have asked for anything better. Location is great, you can walk to central San Jose or grab a quick taxi ride. Several nice restaurants within walking distance. Kurt goes out of his way to provide continental breakfast every day with fresh fruit, fresh bread and jam. For the price, ambiance and location, Casa 69 is a great choice. Kurt is remodeling the house across the streeet... this will add more rooms as there are certain to be more people that want to stay at Casa 69.

nice rooms, yummy breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member drsurfgirl

I agree with all the others that this place is wonderful. Nice rooms (bonus: cable TV!) and friendly hosts. I just wanted to add that the breakfast was delicious: super-fresh juice, Costa Rican coffee, fresh bread, and a bowl of fresh fruit...the perfect way to start the day!

trust me, you want to stay here...

by TripAdvisor Member weflyhi

the hotel business perfected, redistributed, and understood. kurt is the proprietor's name and my kudos to him on an extraordinary bed and breakfast.

Hotel Appearance: Neat, Clean, Alive, Colorful Plant Life, Welcoming, Comfortable, Great Building Design, Thought Out.

Room Appearance: Sal Dali's pics hung on the walls, Spanish Tile on the floor, Hotter/Better water pressure from bathroom than my house in Miami, Cable TV, Mini Fridge with 1$ drinks.

Breakfast: Fresh Costa Rican Coffee, Tostadas, Fresh Fruit, Fantastic fresh faces every morning, What breakfast everyday should be.

Service: Fantastic, Kurt (the proprietor/host) is a host you don't often come across...very intelligent, very comforting, very nice. A host you want to come home to after a long day in San Jose. Great.

Location: Two minutes to central San Jose mercado, Pizza Hut up the block, Bodega five minutes away ("am/pm" has the best snack bread), You can not be safer in another building in San Jose.

Overall: Great Service, Comfortable Bed, Great Host, ***Great Price***, Perfect Location, I have a new home in San Jose.

P.S. The rooftop of the building has the most sensational view of san jose at night...and if you already have a husband/wife who nags you to rub him/her do not start to rub the cuttest dog ever!

Congratulations on such a perfect place.

Jose
Miami, Fl., USA/Cartago, Costa Rica

Exceeding Expectactions

by TripAdvisor Member join24action

Casa 69 makes you feel at home from the very moment you step into the property. Its design and accommodations have a cozy feeling that gives the tourists a sense of comfort in a familiar environment. Mr. Kurt who owns and runs the facility treats you as a long time friend and offers valuable tips about Costa Rica. The housekeepers are also friendly and eager to serve you. The property is kept in outstanding conditions. I will definitely make Casa 69 my number one choice on all my trips to San Jose. Congratulations to Mr. Kurt and his crew.

Comments