Barcelo Langosta Beach Hotel

Barcelo Langosta Beach
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Langosta Beach Hotel

Excellent food and service with clean rooms.

by scheuer1 about Barcelo Playa Langosta Tamarindo

The service at this hotel was excellent. Our bags were carried to our room after a brief moment at the front desk. Room and Dinning services were excellent along with some of the best food I have ever eaten. We tipped the waiters, bartender and maid and got some of the best service in return. Luis would see me walking toward the pool bar and have my drinks ready for me before I got there. Room safe was impenetrable and nothing was ever stolen from our room or car even when we left our beach bag by the pool to swim in the ocean. All room balconies face the Pacific Ocean and if you can't see it you have a beautiful view of the Resorts gardens and pool. I took some of the best sunrise pictures from my balcony that I have ever taken anywhere else. The pool was large and clean but rather warm for cooling off in the midday heat, the ocean wasn't much cooler but the large waves were fun to play in. They offer beach volleyball, pool volleyball, live entertainment and dancing. Outdoor barbeques were a special treat that happened twice a week. Surfing off the hotel beach wasn't that great but in town it was better.

paradise found

by lcostello about Barcelo Playa Langosta

The Barcelo was perfect for what we were looking for. The rooms have a sliding glass door to a patio. It was clean and well maintained. The property stretches quite far from the main building. We moved our room to bldg 2 for close proximity. There are 3 floors with no elevator. We sacrificed a view to be on the ground floor for easy access. There is a multi story building at the far end near the spa, restaurant, and entertainment venue that offers suites. The location is about 1 mile from town, accessible by a rugged walk, or $5 cab ride. There are many representatives available to book a variety of tours (canopy, boating, etc). Surfing lessons/equipment are provided by a company located nearby the pool. The food is buffet and it is the basic all-inclusive fare. Burgers and snacks are available at the poolside bar. Dinner is also served in a separate restaurant for a fee, or free for specific bookings. There are a variety of activities included such as bingo and dance lessons. I would recommend this place for the great beach location and the all-inclusive, comfortable accommodations. The mini frig stocked with beverages (free) was nice to have. The property follows some eco friendly practices with the light bulbs and cleansing products dispensed in fixed containers. The beach was absolutely beautiful and the surf was great. The shells were the best I have ever seen. The sand gets very hot.

Good Times in Costa Rica and the Barcelo

Hi all, me and my girlfriend just got back (staying june 15-22) from 7 days at the Barcelo Langosta in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Here's a quick review for those considering staying there or visiting Tamarindo or Costa Rica.

First, we both loved Costa Rica. Friendly people, amazing scenery, great food, tons to see and do. Tamarindo was a great little surfer town. Lots of new restaurants, stores, and bars - great for something to do when you're tired of staying/eating at the resort (Barcelo Langosta). June is the beginning of the wet season, but while it did rain for 4 of the 7 days we were there, the rain was very intermittent with most of the "rain days" being blue skies for most of it with a brief afternoon shower (which actually I kinda liked). Tempatures were high 80's every day which was 10 degrees cooler that where we were coming from (austin, tx). Enjoyed eating at Maria Bonitas near the Barcelo. Also ate at DragonFly which had great ambiance for a romatic dinner, but the food was just okay in my opinion. Ate a a few of the cheaper places in Tamarindo and they were all good (Portofino, Nogui, witch's rock cafe). Played a lot in the waves which were amazing, big and actually somewhat scary. The surfers visiting there were in awe.

Now for the Barcelo Langosta Resort.
- The good, service was prompt and good, room was spotless, AC worked great, pool and grounds were real nice, food (in my opinion) was pretty good - my girlfriend didn't like too much, but you'll see why in a second, and the resort was right on the beach and estuary which afforded some amazing sunsets.

- The bad, casino was lifeless and usually dead, entertainment (while they tried) was not good, too much britney spears music playing over the speakers (would have been nice to hear calypso or costa rican music). Lastly the big one, when we got there our travel rep wanted to put us in a different resort. It seems around 70 people got really ill eating at the Barcelo. They were on IVs and morphine and there were doctors and the health inspectors there. We decided to stay and ate many of our first meals outside the Barcelo. I ate and drank at the Barcelo many times and during the week and felt great. My girlfriend ate there but avoided the meat and water and she didn't get sick either. The Barcelo took many precautions - servers wore surgical masks and gloves, etc, but nonetheless hearing that and being around all those sick people was a downer. We however did not experience anything bad there.

- Tours - booked three, the first two were from the Iguana Surf (Blue Dophin snorkel tour and Buena Vista tour (the MegaCombo One). Blue Dolphin was great. The tour company for Buena Visat was "Grey Lines", while the tour was good, they picked up other people at another hotel which added about 1 1/2 hours on the way to the national park. I would avoid them and Iguana because of this. I complained vehemently at the 3 1/2 hour drive there (should be only 2hours) and they arranged two vans for the way back. Vacation times are short and "Grey Line" was just trying to make more money. My girlfriend complained to Iguana as well and she could care less. Anyhoo the tour was good, ziplining was fun, the waterslide was well just a waterslide, horseback riding was fun, and the mud was just okay. We also did the two hour estuary tour near tamarinda (in a boat, not kayak) and it was great and only took a couple hours.

All in all, I'd recommend the Barcelo to anyone looking for a good all inclusive resort near a cute town you can walk into. All the other resorts we looked at didn't have the benefit of a town to wander into. We might certainly go back some day, but would probably just stay at one of the smaller hotels in town instead. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

- James
email: jmgalvin@yahoo.com

Will never stay there again ever!!!

First night (Apr 23) we got a room infested by huge ants. I walked into it avoiding the carpet of ants to call the front desk and the phone line was dead. Then, since the hotel was full (so they said although we were not so sure) we were given a tiny room with a cooler that made a horrible noise and as a bonus, a broken lock on the main door. Then we were moved into a room with a leaking a/c unit. By the way, there's no water in the afternoons so you have to either shower very early before dinner, or wait until approx. 10 pm. The people at the reception desk were rude and rolled their eyes a lot. When we demanded some kind of satisfaction, the Front Desk Mgr said, "and what do you want me to do? pay the bill for you?". Take my advice: Look for other hotel options in Langosta/Tamarindo. Anything is better than this hotel.

just ok

not what it seemed to be on-line...frig didnt work ok..a/c was so so... no internet working

there only one resterant and a snack shack inter net said five resterants

not a grand place just ok...overall had a great time cause we did a ton of day trips

Pretty, but food poison.........

by TripAdvisor Member jbianchi

We had the worst experience at this resort. It was suppose to be our "happy honeymoon". But we go the "in sickness and in health" already down pat! When we got there it was absolutely georeous. We were there for three days enjoying all the activites and the beach. On the fourth day we came down with awful food poisioning (at least we think that is what we got). We had nausea, stomach cramps, weakness and diarrhea.To make matters worst the people at the hotel would not tell us anything, so we did not know if we needed to go to the hospital. Comes to find out about 80% of the people at the resort got food poison and they had six doctors giving people IVs. The doctors that were giving the IVs did not even were gloves or masks. When we finally got the strenght to eat some soup the whole dining room changed, everyone was where masks and gloves and all the food was covered with plastic wrap. We left a day early because we could not even stomach the place anymore. We had to come back to states and get some antibiotics and we are still not well. We still don't know what happened.

Don't Go

All I have to say is that if you want a hotel that you don't get food poisoning go some where else.

I spent almost a third of my vacation in my room. I could not do anything. I could not get out of bed because I had such bad nausea and diarrhea. The staff was not helpful at all, they would not tell anyone what was going on. What makes matters worst was that a majority of the people at the hotel got sick.

When I finally got in touch with the corporation that owns the hotel, they told me that there was some bacteria in the water. But the funny thing is that everyone drinks bottle water at the hotel! So much for answers.

Together with our host in San JoséTogether with our host in San José

Museo de Arte CostarricenseMuseo de Arte Costarricense

BusyBusy

Fuente de la HispanidadFuente de la Hispanidad

Bachelor party in San Jose

by stlouisusa

Myself and about 10 friends are planning a bachelor party in Costa Rica in January. I was trying to determine the best place as far as nightlife and it seems like it would be San Jose. I keep hearing about El Puebelo, and how there is some bar oasis there, is that in San Jose or close to it? I guess I was hopeing to get help finding a fairly nice, fairly moderatly priced place to stay where we would be close to the bar and nightclub scene. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

by sunnifla

San Jose is a big city, not much there, why not go to a beach resort, the air is much cleaner there. And don't forget women in bikinis, don't think you will see that in San Jose bar!!

by Suzie3

Very good point Kat!

El Pueblo is a fun place with a lot of different bars and restaurants. There is a web site. It is a quick taxi ride from most places in san Jose.

by scheuer1

Tamarindo is a good party spot on the Pacific, safe, good beach, surf, nightlife, bikini babes and beer, reasonable accomodations if you book early.
We stayed at the Barcelo Playa Langosta - 4 star, all inclusive, fair rates. Had a great time and only 90 minutes from Liberia Airport. Check it out.

by TempNomad

San Jose has lots of fun places to go. El Pueblo is probably a good choice because there are several places you can go and you will have plenty of types of bars to investigate.

Please don't contribute to the already sad problem of prostitution in San Jose. Child prostitution is a real problem, although it's beginning to be curbed. American and European men already have a bad reputation there.

by polariss

JACO!

I'd go there....

Pueblo...be careful....there was a big shooting there (with automatic weapon) killed one person.

Also open drug use. You don't want to get invovled with that stuff.....

JACO is good-great night life...beach- deep sea fishing-only two hours from SJ, one hour south of Jaco is Maunel Antiono

Lost of suring...and enough trouble for guys to get into....but I agree with the poster, not to promote prostituion...lots of it there....

BEST BEACH HOTELS AND TOWNS

by jarheadcwr

HELLO YOU ALL OUT THERE!!MY WIFE AND I WOULD LIKE TO TRAVEL TO COSTA RICA FOR MAYBE 10 DAYS AND STAY AT A 4-5 STAR BEACH FRONT HOTEL ALL INCLUSIVE, WITH-IN WALKING DISTANCE TO A NICE TOWN AND CASINO..ANY RECOMMENDTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED!! SEMPER FI AND HAPPY B-DAY TO ALL YOU JARHEADS OUT THERE..THANKS, CHARLES AND SHIRLEY

RE: BEST BEACH HOTELS AND TOWNS

by costaricaonmymind

For what you say you want I would suggest the 4**** Barcelo Playa Langosta Resort in Tamarindo. It is on the beach and either a 1+ hour walk down the beach to downtown or a $2.00 taxi ride to town. It has a casino - good food & drinks!! However, Costa Rica offers so much to see and do; why not take 6 or 7 days and explore the jungles, volcanoes, cloud forests, rivers, canopy tours, etc. Then, head to the beach and 'crash' in the all inclusive for the last couple of days. You can contact me if you would like any more detail info. Costaricaonmymind.

RE: BEST BEACH HOTELS AND TOWNS

by boritica

I'm not sure if this one is all inclusive ive seen the website and the hotel looks beautiful and its restaurants too, its located in tamarindo.(best option for tourists)
www.tamarindodiria.com

barcelo langosta located in tamarindo could be an option but is not all that...if you really want a nice and luxurious all inclusive hotel you should stay at "los suenos" http://www.lossuenosresort.com its a beautiful hotel BUT its located in jaco, the town is not so nice and the beach there is ugly.

villa caletas is one of my favorite hotels but is not all inclusive. www.villacaletas.com

last time i went to costa rica i stayed in www.encantalavida.com located in matapalo. it was beautiful and romantic. in a small town where they have no electricity, everyone uses solar energy, there are plenty of more hotels and all inclusive lodges in that town, we stayed at one of the cheapest ones 75 dollars per night, per person but it was the best experience ever! we ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner like king and queen, the food was gourmet and I have to say it was the best food i have ever eaten in my life!! the lodge is located in the middle of a jungle and the beach is like 2 minutes walking distance. The sound of the waves and exotic animals will wake you up early. this spot is better for surfers who want to surf all day or honeymooners who want to be in an isolated place at a all inclusive hotel.
i can send u the pics i took if you write me an email, or any other questions yo uhave: chiquiboricua@hotmail.com

(my boyfriend is from Costa Rica, thats why im so familiar with the country. im moving there next year!)

Comments