Best Western Irazu

Tags

Eco-Tourism Family Travel Spa and Resort
See Amenities
blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Beautiful grounds and services are great

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 7, 2015

I have stayed here two times. The first was on my very first time to Costa Rica. The second was this last trip. The grounds and gardens are well maintain and beautiful. There is a large pool with plenty of deck lounge chairs. The lobby is open with plenty of seating.

The staff here are very helpful. They help me change a car rental time and when 6 in my party missed a connecting flight and could not stay, they did not charge for the rooms.

The rooms are comfortable and one of the best hotel beds I slept in. Very hot shower and carpeted floors. Internet is available via wifi with a strong signal in the room as well as the lobby. There is a casino and bar/restaurant. A Denny's restaurant is also connected to the hotel and they supply room service and pool service. There is also a spa and separate fitness room on the property. Laundry machines are available on the ground floor.

The only negative is the gift shop is well over priced even by gift shop standards. They want $5usd for a 600ml bottle of water. There is a supermarket right next to the Denny's. I got a 2.5 liter of water for a out $2usd.

By the way, hotel staff told me that they filter the water so you can drink from the tap, if you like.

Better than downtown but beware!

by written on December 30, 2008

We were first assigned room 306, just over the busy street and lobby with buses coming and going at all hours. We were moved to a room overlooking the pool that, save the mold in the bathroom, was better, though smaller. The annoying things, however were the RIP OFF taxi drivers who have a deal with the hotel. Ask the driver to use the meter and if he refuses, confirm the price before hand. Francisco charged us 10,000 colones for a trip that was only 4,400 by meter on the return. I don't mind paying a bit extra for the convenience of having taxis available, but not double. This same driver offered a day trip for $130 to squeeze our family of five into a tiny cab. Instead, we hired a driver recommended by the bellman who brought a van, his english-speaking son, who charged a very fair $100 for a full day trip to the Poas volcano, a tour of the Doka coffee plantation, and a stop at the charming Zoo Ave.
Breakfast at the attached Dennys was also a huge rip off. The coupon, valued at $5 got you a glass of juice, one egg or a piece of toast. A more hearty breakfast was $12.
Finally, when my husband reported to the hotel desk that he had been approached by a prostitute, they seemed utterly uninterested, despite the large "No Prostitution" sign on the hotel.

Unique Quality: The pool was nice and the promised airport shuttle left promptly at the promised time. The Galleria restaurant across the street was nice although rather overpriced.

The city itself--well, let's just say that Monrovia, Liberia in the midst of a civil war seemed more appealing.

Place to start and end your Costa Rican vacation

by written on August 4, 2008

We started and ended our 3-week Costa Rican holiday with 2-night stays in Best Western Irazu. The hotel was OK, if not exceptionally clean or up-to-date. The first room was better, the second had a strange smell and the window opened to noisy street side.

Our kids (13 and 14 years) were actually pretty impressed with the hotel, mostly due to nice gardens and pools and they also liked the Internet workstations. I must admit that it was nice to start our Costa Rican vacation in the first morning by laying in the jacuzzi pool at 5AM (after a moderate jet lag) and watching the green garden as the sun rose.

The personnel was very helpful. Soon after the first check-in, they actually called to our room to check if we were pleased with everything.

The breakfast was served in the adjacent Denny's, being (I guess) a typical American setting. We also had dinner there once and were not impressed with the food - the La Gallera restaurant at the opposite side of the street was much better and not higher priced for dining.

Actually I reserved rooms in BW Irazu because they have Alamo's car rental desk there. It was very handy to use hotel's airport shuttle for free airport transfers, and get the car simply from your hotel.

I would recommend the hotel for anyone doing the same, i.e. using BW Irazu for easy stop-over before or after flights.

iammon's Profile Photo

Best Western San José

by written on March 16, 2008

Standard Best Western in residential area, 10 minutes from the city centre.

Unique Quality: Big Pool in Garden area. Tennis court. Travel agency so you can organize lots of tours from there.
Has a casino and a Dennys (US Style)

Directions: Residential area; 10 minutes from city centre.

JoseUcha's Profile Photo

Construction and smely rooms

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 31, 2005

I stayed at the hotel the first night and last night in Costa Rica. The first night I was giving a room on the first floor of were there was construction, not only I was not happy about that but when we entered the room it strongly stunk of mildew, I could not believe they would even use rooms in that condition especially when I had my young daughter and wife, I asked for another room and was granted one.
The last night I was already a little upset and I asked not to be assigned a room anywhere close to the construction specially because my daughter has alergies to dust, the attendee ignored my request and once again I was giving a room on the same wing were the construction was and once again the room stunk this time not only of mildew but also of smoke, came back to the front desk and I was assigend another room on the SAME wing but on the second floor.

I CANNOT believe that they would assigned rooms in that miserable of condition.

empemilio Feb 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM

We spent 2012 new years eve there, we were robbed at this hotel, the day we were leaving, we left the room to have breakfast, its no normal that the maid does the room before you leave, then we left and Ipod over the bed, when we came back from breakfast, the IPOD was gone, probably she thought we wouldn´t notice because of the rush of leaving, but we did and we called security, they made us open our baggage and they search for it like we were the thiefs!!! Then they commited to send an answer in 7 days, but we had no satisfactory answer from the hotel, not even from Best Western Corporate. It is not the fact of having being robbed by them, what makes us angry is that they send us a letter saying they are not guilty, as a matter of fact i´m up to spend as much as necesary in order to comunicate my experience over there and warning people about the lack of honesty of Best Western´s people. You can take a look on tripadvisor´s terrible comments and it seems that they like IPODS.

Nearby Best Western Irazu

Best Western Irazu

• Best Western San Jose
  • San Jose Best Western
  • Best Western Hotel Irazu
  • Best Western Irazu Hotel San Jose

Address: Km 3 Autopista General Canas, San Jose, Province of San Jose, 1000, Costa Rica

5 Photos of Best Western Irazu

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

San José Travel Forum

Need advice about San José, Costa Rica? Visit the Travel Forum for San José and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San José hotel reviews

Rostipollos
Vishnu
Nice hotel bar-restaurant
Restaurants
Great for late night or breakfast
Nice pastries
Restaurants
Not Bad with an interesting menu
Honest, Friendly and Informative Transportation
Teatro Nacional de Costa Rica
Museo Nacional de Costa Rica
Every thing for gringos
Nightlife
Exit fee when leaving the country
Typical Soda