Best Western Irazu

Km 3 Autopista General Canas, San Jose, Province of San Jose, 1000, Costa Rica

BEST WESTERN Irazu
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Better than downtown but beware!

We were first assigned room 306, just over the busy street and lobby with buses coming and going at all hours. We were moved to a room overlooking the pool that, save the mold in the bathroom, was better, though smaller. The annoying things, however were the RIP OFF taxi drivers who have a deal with the hotel. Ask the driver to use the meter and if he refuses, confirm the price before hand. Francisco charged us 10,000 colones for a trip that was only 4,400 by meter on the return. I don't mind paying a bit extra for the convenience of having taxis available, but not double. This same driver offered a day trip for $130 to squeeze our family of five into a tiny cab. Instead, we hired a driver recommended by the bellman who brought a van, his english-speaking son, who charged a very fair $100 for a full day trip to the Poas volcano, a tour of the Doka coffee plantation, and a stop at the charming Zoo Ave.
    Breakfast at the attached Dennys was also a huge rip off. The coupon, valued at $5 got you a glass of juice, one egg or a piece of toast. A more hearty breakfast was $12.
    Finally, when my husband reported to the hotel desk that he had been approached by a prostitute, they seemed utterly uninterested, despite the large "No Prostitution" sign on the hotel.

Unique Quality: The pool was nice and the promised airport shuttle left promptly at the promised time. The Galleria restaurant across the street was nice although rather overpriced.

The city itself--well, let's just say that Monrovia, Liberia in the midst of a civil war seemed more appealing.

• Place to start and end your Costa Rican vacation

We started and ended our 3-week Costa Rican holiday with 2-night stays in Best Western Irazu. The hotel was OK, if not exceptionally clean or up-to-date. The first room was better, the second had a strange smell and the window opened to noisy street side.

Our kids (13 and 14 years) were actually pretty impressed with the hotel, mostly due to nice gardens and pools and they also liked the Internet workstations. I must admit that it was nice to start our Costa Rican vacation in the first morning by laying in the jacuzzi pool at 5AM (after a moderate jet lag) and watching the green garden as the sun rose.

The personnel was very helpful. Soon after the first check-in, they actually called to our room to check if we were pleased with everything.

The breakfast was served in the adjacent Denny's, being (I guess) a typical American setting. We also had dinner there once and were not impressed with the food - the La Gallera restaurant at the opposite side of the street was much better and not higher priced for dining.

Actually I reserved rooms in BW Irazu because they have Alamo's car rental desk there. It was very handy to use hotel's airport shuttle for free airport transfers, and get the car simply from your hotel.

I would recommend the hotel for anyone doing the same, i.e. using BW Irazu for easy stop-over before or after flights.

• iammon's Profile Photo

Best Western San José

Standard Best Western in residential area, 10 minutes from the city centre.

Unique Quality: Big Pool in Garden area. Tennis court. Travel agency so you can organize lots of tours from there.
    Has a casino and a Dennys (US Style)

Directions: Residential area; 10 minutes from city centre.

• JoseUcha's Profile Photo

Construction and smely rooms

I stayed at the hotel the first night and last night in Costa Rica. The first night I was giving a room on the first floor of were there was construction, not only I was not happy about that but when we entered the room it strongly stunk of mildew, I could not believe they would even use rooms in that condition especially when I had my young daughter and wife, I asked for another room and was granted one.
    The last night I was already a little upset and I asked not to be assigned a room anywhere close to the construction specially because my daughter has alergies to dust, the attendee ignored my request and once again I was giving a room on the same wing were the construction was and once again the room stunk this time not only of mildew but also of smoke, came back to the front desk and I was assigend another room on the SAME wing but on the second floor.

I CANNOT believe that they would assigned rooms in that miserable of condition.

More about Best Western Irazu

hotel

by karli1542 about best western irazu

we spent i think 9 days here service was good, food is at a dennys next to it very good close to airport when you leaving eveybody spoke english felt it was a good place pool,, jacuzzie, casino, bar,internet room

Good accommodation in Costa Rica

by SumTingWong about Best Western Irazu

The Best Western Irazu is a good, clean, and nice hotel located in San Jose city. The hotel is great for young travelers in Costa Rica. There are some gift stores, and a gorcery store is located a two minute walk away. There is a casino and a pool also! They have a large lobby with chess bords, a pool, shops, Denny's is nearby, grocery store is nearby, some awsome restaurants are nearby as well! There is a casino and the rooms are pretty good too, with color TVs. They have free internet (3 computers) and some tennis courts.

RATES
From November 1st, 1999 thru December 31st, 2000

Standard Rooms

Single Occupancy Double Occupancy Triple Occupancy
US$ 60 US$ 72 US$ 72

Prices plus taxes (16.39%).

Premier Rooms

Single Occupancy Double Occupancy Triple Occupancy
US$ 72 US$ 82 US$ 82

Best Western Irazu Costa Rica

by tedandtina about Best Western Irazu

A very nice, but standard hotel. Very clean rooms and breakfast at the adjacent Denny's was included. At first, they tried to give us a room on the first floor near the casino bar-too noisy, so we requested a room on a higher floor and they accomodated our needs. They have a pool and laundry machines that accept US quarters only. It costs about one dollar per load. Very reasonable.

Also, a computer room with complementary coffee is located by the elevator.

The shuttle service from the airport is complementary and efficient. It helps if you are visiting for the first time.

They will store your bags if you book your first and last night.

Alamo rent a car counter is downstairs...convenient.

Pharmacy and Supermarket and Internet Cafe about a minute walk from Lobby.

It feels secure with all the security guards around in the evening.

Only place we could find...

by Howlee about Best Western Irazu

This place cost me $70 for the night. I had to stay here the night we arrived, and the night before we departed for the states.

There is an Internet/business center- had a chance to catch up on emails.

They picked us up for the airport, and took us there when we needed to leave.

Also, lots of taxi cabs and tour guides hang out here just in case you need a ride anywhere. There are also many resturants nearby- walking distance. Great pool, but it was drained.

There is an Internet/business center- had a chance to catch up on emails.

Our drivers name was Jorge. I attached a pic.

best western irazubest western irazu

Best Western Irazu - Where is it ?

by handfordr

Can anyone tell me if the Best Western Irazu is near civilisation. The Best Western official site and other hotel sites seem remarkably evasive. Somewhere on the outskirts of San Jose mid-way to the airport !!

I really want to know if I can catch a local bus downtown conveniently from outside without it taking more than 30 minutes, or whether I'll be in the dependent on taxis.

Re: Best Western Irazu - Where is it ?

by latintraveler

HI THERE,
WELL FIRST OF ALL I LIKE TO TELL YOU THAT THERE IS NO CIVILIZACION IN COSTA RICA.
THAT HOTEL IS SITUATED IN IRAZU, OUTSIDE OF SAN JOSE , NEAR THE AIRPORT.
DO NOT TAKE LOCAL BUSES, IT CAN BE DANGEROUS AND THE TAXIS WILL ROBE YOU AS WELL.
I LIVED OVER THERE FOR MORE THAN ONE YEAR AND THE ASAULT MY WIFE 3 TIMES, THEY ROBED MY HOUSE AND STOLE MY CAR.
THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE WAS WHEN I LEFT THAT COUNTRY.

• Feb 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM

We spent 2012 new years eve there, we were robbed at this hotel, the day we were leaving, we left the room to have breakfast, its no normal that the maid does the room before you leave, then we left and Ipod over the bed, when we came back from breakfast, the IPOD was gone, probably she thought we wouldn´t notice because of the rush of leaving, but we did and we called security, they made us open our baggage and they search for it like we were the thiefs!!! Then they commited to send an answer in 7 days, but we had no satisfactory answer from the hotel, not even from Best Western Corporate. It is not the fact of having being robbed by them, what makes us angry is that they send us a letter saying they are not guilty, as a matter of fact i´m up to spend as much as necesary in order to comunicate my experience over there and warning people about the lack of honesty of Best Western´s people. You can take a look on tripadvisor´s terrible comments and it seems that they like IPODS.