Best Western Paradise Inn & Spa

Hotel Paradise
Orbitz.com Travelocity Tingo.com

Satisfaction Average

• Costa Rica San Jose Best Western hotel

They are crooks, lying about everything: about free shuttle service, about the dinstance from the airport. We had the worst experience in our lives. They advertise shuttle service, but don't provide any. We called them the night before and they promise to pay for the taxi since the driver of the shuttle had a day off. They did not pay, but promise a shuttle service to the airport, which they did not provide either. We ended up paying twice more than expected. The entire dealstinks. The have a lot of other bad thinks about this hotel. The worst part is that Best Western support this fraud along with Orbits which sold us this hotel.

Unique Quality: Good city view

More about San José

musiciansmusicians

Playing with the kids (I have the yellow hat)Playing with the kids (I have the yellow hat)

Avenida CentralAvenida Central

A View of Fort BellavistaA View of Fort Bellavista

WILL TAXI TAKE US TO SAN JOSE

by randy16

IF WE ARE STAYING IN LIBERIA? AND WHERE IS THE NIGHT LIFE?

Re: WILL TAXI TAKE US TO SAN JOSE

by guanacotico

hi,

well you can just try in town. there are few restaurants and places where you can have fun, they next to Burger King, just right on the Panamerican Highway.

Good look,

cupotico.

Travel Tips for San José

Downtown

by besbel

This area of San Jose offers a lot of attractions. Among them, you can visit the following
- Museums: just around Avenida Central there are the Golden and Numismatic Museum, the National Museum, and the Filatelic Museum.
- Theathers: You can go to the National Theather (it presents several spectacles at night, during my visti there was a flamenco group making presentations in there) and the Melico Salazar Theater.
- the Cathedral (beautiful in the inside)
- Plaza de la Cultura
- Avenida Central (all types of commercial activity are found in here)
- Central Market (not far from Avenida Central, to buy souvenirs) My friends and I went to downtown during my last weekend there, and IT WAS HEAVILY RAINING! Although using my umbrella, I got completely wet, especially in the feet because I was wearing only sandals. But it was crazy fun, because I was with my bunch of great friends :-)

Waiting for the wife to complete the shopping

by zrim

The central district was very busy on Christmas Eve afternoon. Lots of people completing their last minute shopping. But these guys obviously had had enough and chose to wait out the shopping trip in the central plaza in front of the National Theater. Can't say that I blame them since shopping is not a particular favorite of mine either (or couldn't you tell from the plethora of shopping tips that generally appear on my pages.)

Spirogyra Butterfly Farm

by grandmaR

Because we were in San Jose on a Monday, the Gold Museum wasn't open. So ... what else is open on Monday. Let's go to the Jade Museum and then to the Spirogyria butterfly farm. I had the Frommer's guide which mentioned where it was and I had the lady at the tourist center show me where it was on the map. But no one had ever heard of it - maybe it is different now.

A short taxi ride later, we were dropped off in the university district behind the zoo. The garden is at 50 east, 150 south from the main entrance to "El Pueblo" shopping center. Open every day from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. We had a hard time actually finding the garden entrance and wandered around quite a bit first.

We paid what I thought was an exhorbitant admission charge (something like $10 each). Then we saw a film about the butterfly life cycle (good for Bob who as an engineer didn't know any of that kind of thing) and went through the exhibition area and out into the garden. For some reason I had not expected that the gardens were covered. Inside were not only numerous butterflies but also hummingbirds.

We sat in the garden and watched the butterflies and hummingbirds and listened to the lions roaring below us at the zoo. After we had regathered our strength, we left and got a bus back to town where we had an icecream drink at Pops.

I think now there is a cafe at Spirogyria.

Martinis, class, backyard terrace

by Kindra about Qbico

Though a great place for a classy lunch special during the day, this resto-bar/lounge converts into a classy, hopping bar at night- particularly on weekends when it is packed with trendy, good looking young Ticos. Stay in the main areas and sip martinis while cozing up to your friends in the big black leather booths; get some fresh air while listening to the dj's new spun tunes in the corner garden or hit up the backyard terrace for socializing or chatting at one of the garden tables over a tasty Michelada.

On weekends, men will likely have to pay a 2000 colones entry fee; ladies should be free! Drinks are reasonably priced however: a Cuba libre 800 colones, domestic bottle of beer, 900 colones; a classy Martini: 1600 colones Anything goes but the crowd tends to be done up a little bit classier.

Retro Tico

by penumbra about Soda Tapa

What do you get if you cross a 1950’s diner with Costa Rican cuisine? The answer might look like Soda Tapa, where you step back in time to a place that never was. Decorated and costumed as a diner, the menu reads more like a local restaurant (referred to as soda’s). Service is speedy and friendly. It might take longer to wait for a break in traffic to reverse back out onto Calle 42, although for a couple of colones, a guard will temporarily halt traffic to allow you to get underway.

Comments