Casa Alfi

459 Calle 3, Entre Av 4 y 6, 200 sur de Theatro Ntional, Frente de Colegio Senoritas, San Jose, Cost
Casa Alfi

San JoseSan Jose

Cannons at the National MuseumCannons at the National Museum

giozano

by giozano

I have never been to Costa Rica; I will be in San Jose for about six days and was told The Hotel Del Rey had a nice casino, several nice restaurants but is a "haven" for prostitutes. Is the area around this hotel safe? I will be by myself for a few days and I love walking - even at night; but I am concerned about staying away from any problems - in other words, I just want to gamble a little bit, do some sightseeing and have a good time. Is this hotel going to be all right for a 6 day stay AND is there a travel department where I can make arrangements to see the rainforests, volcano and pyramids? I will await a reply. e-mail at giozano@aol.com

by yvr

I walked by this hotel several times while in San Jose, and was not impressed with the people I saw lurking about, inside or out. There is a Holiday Inn or Super 8 which are close to downtown, which may suit your purpose, both hotels looked very nice.

RE: RE: giozano

by Paul2001

To be quite honest, San Jose as little in the way of attractions and I would find that other than gambling and the Museo de Oro, that six days there is a waste of time. As for safety, San Jose is becoming increasingly crime ridden. DO NOT walk alone at night. You will be mugged with severe violence! To see the attractions that Costa Rica has to offer, it is best hightail it out of San Jose and go to Monteverde or some other mountain resort. Finally there are no pyramids in Costa Rica.

by travejunkies

Paul is right about San Jose and it becoming increasingly dangerous, you can walk alone at night as long as you stay to well traveled streets. That seems common sense to me though. There is also another hotel, the Sleep Inn, in downtown, near the Del Rey. And to say that it´s a haven for prostitutes may be an understatement, there may not be a woman there that is NOT a prostitute. There are other casinoa to gamble at in San Jose, as well as most beach towns. Maybe you´d like to stay at the beach while you´re there and do day trips from there.

RE: RE: giozano

by kambrose

We stayed in San Jose our first night because our flight landed at 10:30 pm. We ventured out to the casino.....very sketchy! We hightaled it out of San Jose first thing in the morning and headed to the Pacific. I would not spend 6 days there if I had the choice. You won't have a real Costa Rican experience unless you get out of there. Stay away from the bus terminal (Coca Cola) at the airport - lots of pickpockets....check out Lonely Planet for more info. Outside of the city is paradise.

by Quansi

I've been to Costa Rica and travlled alone. You will be warned, and with good intentions of walking at night alone. Even if it is one or two blocks away. During the daytime...no problem. However, at night a very different story. Be aware of your surrounding and keep valuables very hidden. As with any country, there are some people who are out to make their own kind of living. I did not have any bad or negative experiences ever. But, I was also cautious. Your hotel should be able to provide you with some travel information. Also, I hired drivers for the day. Check out Alex in front of Hotel Presidente. Cute, straight and married, yet very honest, reliable and showed me some sights that were incredible. He even drove me from San Jose to Manuel Antonio and we had a great lunch along the beach that only the Ticos know about (that's where I fell in love with him...too bad for me). Consider staying at Sleep Inn, I did on my last night in San Jose and regret that I did not book there for my first 3 days. Very safe, secure and convienently located. There is a casino across the street/parking lot if you wish to gamble. Enjoy..... I will be there again May 3...!!!!

Travel Tips for San José

Patience

by penumbra

I like a country where they wait their turn in line. It just seems polite and proper to me. So I like the Costa Ricans because they’re patient enough to wait in line for buses and taxis and cash registers. In general life runs at a slower pace, but an orderly one.

Parque Nacional - National Park

by penumbra

Designed in 1895, this park contains the National Monument commemorating the successful battle against the American adventurer William Walker in 1856. In fact, the park has several statues dedicated to national heroes. The park was remodeled in 2001 and is now a popular place for students and strolling lovers under its tall tropical trees.

Address: % b Avenida 1-3 - Calle 15-19

Plaza de la Democracia - Square of Democracy

by penumbra

An unattractive square made up mostly of concrete and very little greenery. Rising above to the east is the fort containing the National Museum. On the west side is a bronze statue of Don Figueres commemorating 100 years of democracy in Costa Rica. Also on the west side is a daily flea market.

Address: Avenidas Central-2 - Calle 13-15

bakery full of yummy treats

by arasnosliw about Musmanni

Normally I’d give you a spiel about supporting small business and contributing to the local economy. Well forget that for just one minute and pretend that I am not sitting here telling you to go to a chain bakery. Oh g*d, how incredible this stuff is. If the smell doesn’t lure you in and addict you immediately, then the taste certainly will. These Musmanni bakeries are everywhere and you can’t avoid them, so you will more than likely eat in one at some point while in Costa Rica, especially if you are budget traveler like I am. There’s nothing like spending a mere dollar for breakfast. any bread/pastries with stuff baked inside

Lunch specials in style

by Kindra about Qbico

This is an Argentinian-owned resto-bar lounge that hosts professionals for lunch and the younger hip crowd at nights.

The food is fairly eclectic, a bit expensive, and focuses on pizza, pasta, salads and Argentinian specialties such as empanadas. The daily lunch special during the week goes for 2500 colones including taxes (not tips) and gives you a choice of: caesar salad (with or w/o chicken), pasta in pesto or creamy sauce or a juicy steak with veggies and mashed potatoes; this also comes with your choice of drink and dessert (try the warm chocolate brownie with ice cream!!).

Comments