Gaudy's Backpacker Hostel

Ave. 5, Calle 36 y 38, Casa 3636, near Banco de Costa Rica de Paseo Colon, San Jose, Costa Rica
HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

More about San José

The Basilica in CartagoThe Basilica in Cartago

Museo de Oro Banco CentralMuseo de Oro Banco Central

National MuseumNational Museum

Old Fort BellavistaOld Fort Bellavista

Hoping to visit Corcavado, Arenal, and Rincon Viejo last week in march, first two weeks in April

by vaiare

Hey all-

I'm planning a last minute vacation to Costa Rica from March 24 to April 15th. (got some unexpected vacation time) I was warned that this is a very busy time. I've already booked accommadations in the Sarapaqui region durning Semana Santa (April 2 through the 9th). I was hoping to leave a little wiggle room on either side in case the weather should turn. Hate to pre book everyting, but will if it looks like everything will fill up. Hiking is the main purpose of the trip, so I intend to visit a few national parks and expore them as thouroughly as I can. I would be interested in Corcavado, Monteverde, Arenal, and Rincon Viejo. Any information about accomadations and practicalities surrounding these parks would be greatly appreciated. I did rent a car, so I have some mobility.

RE: RE: Hoping to visit Corcavado, Arenal, and Rincon Viejo last week in march, first two weeks in

by Suzie3

The week before Easter and Easter week are going to be very busy down there. I would get moving asap on trying to find places and book them. I like to wing it but that really isn't the time.

Arenal.net has a pretty good listing of hotels in the monteverde and arenal areas.

Rincon de la Vieja has about 4 or 5 places right there. The park is about a 45 min drive from Liberia itself. Look in smaller places like Potrero possibly. I don't imagine Liberia itself will fill up so you could easily drive to the beach or Rincon from there. They have some good restaurants around the center green.

Corcovado is going to be tough. You could look at a little place like Pearl of the Osa in Puerto Jimenez. I am going to assume their place next door, Iguana Lodge, is full but also worth a try.

Having a car will be a huge help. You could look a little outside of the main tourist areas rather than right in them.

RE: RE: RE: Hoping to visit Corcavado, Arenal, and Rincon Viejo last week in march, first two weeks

by vaiare

Thanks for you help suzie. Arenal.net is a great website and I have some pending reservations which I hope to finalize tommorow. It looks like I can get accomadations near Corcavado, but the practicalities of hiking on my own in the park and getting around might be better suited for another trip. Do you know anyting about Parque National Chirripo? It looks more accessible from San Jose and sounds very interesting to explore.

Travel Tips for San José

Jugos/Juice

by Tom_In_Madison

Juice is plentiful, and tasty. You can order them usually 2 ways. Con leche, or con agua. With milk or water. With water, you get what you’re usually used to, juice and water. With leche, you get something that is almost like a milkshake. With leche is usually about a quarter more, and since it uses milk instead of water, weak stomachs are safe. I prefer the ‘con leche’ version.

Arenal Volcano Baldi hotsprings Combo tour

by sfphototraveller

On my 3rd Visit to Costa Rica. I took the Arenal volcano Baldi hotsprings tour.

Baldi hotsprings seem a little larger and not as crowded at Tobacon excuse my spelling.
Baldi was a little cheaper but we did not eat at Baldi they took us somewhere else with a view of Arenal. The food was OK and the Coffee was Great.

They closed off the slide into the hotsprings and saw guys -construction workers building,maintaining the water park. They were also girl watching another sport i like.

They have a couple of swimup bars that serve food and drinks with views of Arenal.
Also have outdoor massage table area for a price $$$. I dont know how much. for a deposit you can rent towells,lockers.

Bring sandals and your own towell to save $$$$.

Church of El Carmen

by penumbra

The original church was built on this site in 1841. When Costs Rica was experiencing a cholera epidemic in the 1860’s the people promised to carry a statuette of Black Christ if they were but spared. The church still holds the mahogany statuette and it is carried in a parade on the last Sunday of August.

Address: Avenida Central - Calle 3

I flew there, directly from...

by Luis_Alberto

I flew there, directly from Los Angeles International Airport, it took aproximately 4 and half hours.
San Jose its an easy city to get around, since it is not that big, and the downtown area is quite compact.
Taxis are plentiful and reasonable.

good bye meal...

by pollon about soda...???

I'm sorry I don't remember the name of this soda which is near the Jada Museum, in the Avenida 7, between the Calle 9 and 7 and it's not the first you meet (coming from calle 9) but the second...
Shortly I was going to reach the airport for the flight back and it was a sort of good-bye meal expecially after that the waitress asked me about where I was going and she said I had to come back and then when in two only we ordered only one postre (dessert), she brought a second, courtesy of the house...
in the pic Parque España, in front of the Jade Museum