Avenida 9 y Calle 9, San Jose, Costa Rica

Travelocity Expedia.com Tingo.com

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Don Carlos...a cute little place

This is a cute little hotel in an old Colonial Building.. it was once residence for two past Presidential families.Only about 33 rooms. The rooms are spacious and all have ceiling fans. Internet and continental breakfast and free calls are included.

• LowBrow's Profile Photo

Hotel Don Carlos

I paid around $84 (including taxes, yadda yadda yadda), not bad at all.

Unique Quality: Very friendly, clean, pretty hotel. English spoken by most everyone working here. Nice continental breakfast, and that killer Costa Rican butter.

Directions: Hotel Don Carlos is located on the west side of the Instituto National de Seguros. It is on Calle 9 & Avenida 9. It is one block east and two blocks north of the Holiday Inn Hotel.

More about Hotel Don Carlos

Hotel Don Carlos - Absolutely Charming

The Don Carlos Hotel was wonderful. Sure the rooms could be bigger but when you are infatuated, when you are struck by it's old Spanish-style charm, you don't care (well, I didn't). Try to get a room with a balcony that faces the inner courtyard - I hammed it up with a serenading guitar - with me below the balcony and my honey looking out.
It's close to the Jade Museum - cheap, good showing of pre-Columbian jade and displays of indigenous lifestyle. Not too far away is the Cafe Mundo restaurant - nice. Their zoo is a 10 minute walk away.

Hotel Don Carlos - glad we stayed there

by TripAdvisor Member raspas

We stayed at Hotel Don Carlos on the last night of our 2 week vaca to Costa Rica. It was a great way to end our trip. Had a family room for the four of us (2 adults/2 teenage daughters) 2 twin beds in one room - queen in the other with adjoining bath overlooking the street quite noisy but it was just for one night - (I have learned to travel with earplugs). It is not a place I would have picked myself from looking at accommodations choices online but I am so glad Pilar at CostaRica.net recommended it. It was "part of the experience". The staff was very friendly, the little restaurant downstairs had a nice menu and room service, the hotel was full of art and we appreciated the gift shop with just about everything I had seen thoughout our travels because we were so busy with the experience that we really didn't buy souveneirs until the last day. It was about a five block walk to the pedestrian shopping area which was an experience in itself - wouldn't venture there alone even in daylight but with a friend or group no problemo. Wali tours was prompt in picking us up for our return trip the airport. Had a good time would stay there again.

I would return to Hotel Don Carlos

We just got back from a 9 day trip to beautiful Costa Rica. We stayed at the Hotel Don Carlos in San Jose upon our arrival and on our last day. The staff was friendly and courteous, the grounds impeccably clean. It had a bed and breakfast feel through many cultural pieces that adorned the quaint hotel. We were a party of 4 and it was roomy enough not to feel cramped. The beds were decent although it could've been a bit firmer. The bathroom was very spacious, as was the shower. There is a courtyard where breakfast is served on nice days... very nice. You could catch some rays here too. The restaurant is small and the menu is limited but do try the chicken chulupa...excellent! I recommend a restaurant on Avenida 7 called Mi Criolita. Plenty of locals frequent it, which is always a good sign, and the food is very good. Only a short walk from the hotel is the main street where many shops are found. It gets old rather quickly as there aren't that many decent stores. Rather safe during the day but I wouldn't venture out at night. Careful however as you could find yourself in a desolate part of town which is not a good thing, especially if you are not familiar with the area. At the hotel, Juan Carlos, the tour representative arranged transfers for us to Arenal. There is a gift shop in the hotel. Plenty of souvenirs, but you could get a better price in town, especially if you use American dollars (room to bargain and 20% off merchandise). Free internet access. Overall, a charming hotel to come back to. Pura Vida.

Great Hotel in San Jose, CR

by errnprincess about Hotel Don Carlos

Hotel Don Carlos is great! The rooms are spacious, clean and fairly inexpensive. The best part is the staff. They are sooooo Helpful. They will help you plan everything. There is free breakfast buffet. They have a bar, and coffee shop, as well as a gift shop. Free 24hr interent. I stayed here at the beginning and end of my trip.

Wow What a Taste of Costa Rica!

by AnitaJRT about Hotel Don Carlos

This fabulous hotel was the perfect place to land. Clean, friendly staff -- a gift shop with prices that we didn't see beaten anywhere during our travels! We also staid here the last night of our two week vacation -- and bought our gifts that night. No need to carry around the countryside!

Highly recommended! Excellent security with a doorman on duty! Plus as inhouse travel agency to assist with tours!

http://www.doncarloshotel.com/ Located in the oldest historical section of San Jose, the ‘Four Star’ Hotel Don Carlos is a small, but significant part of Costa Rica’s rich heritage. Once upon a time residence for two past Presidential families, the historical Hotel Don Carlos’ warmth and charm, graciously awaits you. Enjoy Costa Rica’s finest art works as you stroll through the gallery-like corridors and maze of quiet, garden & fountain settings, restaurant and Jacuzzi. Wander into Annemarie's Boutique and get lost within this unique world of local artistic creations in Costa Rica's # 1 gift shop

I love this place!

by nusi about Hotel Don Carlos

My first visit here was Christmas 1999. I love it here! The rooms are very diffrent and you feel like you are a guest at someone's home rather than at a hotel.

Rooms very from single to double capacity with sitting room. It costs 70 a night double occupancy.

There is an excellent daily breakfast served starting at 6:30 in a nice garden. There is also a small restaurant in the lobby.

The gift shop is full of all things Costa Rica and not too kitchy.

The tour service is excellent and the rates competative.

This place books fast so make a resevation ahead of time. Nice neighborhood, lovely tile scenes on outside fence.

Nice and Quaint Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AndeanTraveler

I arrived at this hotel after a fiasco at another hotel nearby. I really liked Hotel Don Carlos because the room was very clean and modern, and it had a great view of the mountains nearby. The bathroom looked like new. There is cable television. The staff is very friendly and the hotel looks very well kept. There is a souvenir shop inside the hotel, and the prices there are very reasonable. They even sell orchids in special containers that you can take back to your home country. The orchids are sold by a company that has a permit to export them out of Costa Rica. I would stay in Hotel Don Carlos again!

Great Place, Not Great Area

by TripAdvisor Member GinaTheTraveler

This hotel was the best we stayed in in all of Costa Rica. The staff was very helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean, the beds comfy. Bathroom is clean. The only bad thing is that it's not in the best area, there's only 1 restaurant within walking distance. So if you don't mind taking cabs, stay here! The gift shop in the hotel had some of the best prices I saw in the whole country.

by mdobgyn

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Don Carlos? What did you think of it, and how is the location? Thanks in advace. Lance

RE: Hotel Don Carlos

by OttawaJF

I've stayed there may times. It's a moderately priced hotel in Barrio Amon, very close to downtown. It's also got one of the best gift shops in the area. Be careful at night. There are worse areas downtown, but safer to get a cab to and from wherever you need to go.

RE: RE: Hotel Don Carlos

by athoau

This hotel is in barrio Amon and although residential seems to be very dangerous at night not because of the residents there but the characters that hide in darkness waiting for somebody to pass by. At night get a taxi to and from. DO NOT save that money.

Comments