Hotel Indigo San Jose Forum Costa Rica

Del Centro Empresarial Forum 2, 150 Mts. Sur Y 50 Mts. Oeste, San Jose 10903, Costa Rica
Hotel Indigo San Jose Forum Costa Rica
IHG Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about San José

Teatro Nacional in San JoséTeatro Nacional in San José

Museo de Arte CostarricenseMuseo de Arte Costarricense

San JoseSan Jose

Karen at the Entrance to the National MuseumKaren at the Entrance to the National Museum

upcoming trip

by leslierestaino

My husband and I are taking our young children for a 2 week holiday in costa rica. We have rented a 4WD truck and are travling from San Jose to Manuel Antonio, then to Monteverde and then to Guanacaste before returning to San Jose. We were on the fence about renteing a car and have finally decided to to for a rental instead of private transfers. I would welcome any any all advise, thoughts, suggestions on driving in costa rica. Also, can anyone recommend a really good highway map?

RE: upcoming trip

by sean420

For a great map of Costa Rica go to www.mapcr.com
You can download free maps or order a great waterproof map of the country and the roads.

by TexasDave

I think renting the car is the best way to go. Except for in San Jose traffic is quite light and you'll frequently have the road to yourself. Most 'highways' are of the two-lane variety so just be aware of people passing with on-coming traffic in the other lane, etc. A good free map of the whole country was given to us when we rented the car, which is also available form the Costa Rican Tourism Istitute.
I really would recommend going thru the towns of Sarchi(handicrafts and oxcart factories) and Zarcero (amazing little town square and picturesque hillsides) and a stop in Arenal.

by Foundryman1

The national geographic map is very detailed-Have fun

RE: upcoming trip

by Pachangero

If traveling during the rainy season, bring a packet of Rain-X glass treatment wipes to apply to the glass of your rental vehicle. I would recommend Bernsdton & Berndston laminated Costa Rica roadmap, available at Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.

by kambrose

We use National Geographics map - it was dead on. Just remember - there are potholes that could swallow a car so it can be a little daunting but it's part of the experience so enjoy it. I passed the time by just looking at the landscape while my husband drove. By the way - your itenerary looks perfect - my only suggestion, go to Guanacaste and then Monteverde as it's closer to San Jose.

Travel Tips for San José

women, sit on your rumps more often

by arasnosliw

Call it a phenomenon if you will, but I always notice that whenever I go sit on a bench and people watch or relax, I always stick out like a sore thumb. I rarely notice females sitting alone, doing nothing. Men do it all the time; it’s status-quo. Women, however, are generally accompanied by friends, children, mothers, whatever. They just don’t sit alone. Yet I do. Hence this is why I experience awkward stares and looks of confusion from passerbyers.

Aerial Tram

by grets

In a private reserve bordering the Braulio Carrillo National Park , about an hour from San Jose. One of the biologically richest canopy cominities in the world.

90 minute journey in ski-lift type aerial tram, outwards though the lower level of the forest and return amongst the higher levels at 35 metres.

Each car has a naturalist guide to help you
spot wildlife and explain about the plants and life in the canopy.

We found the trip very interesting, even though we didn't spot many birds or animals.

This aerial tram was the first of its kind in the world. It was created with minimum impact on the rain forest by carrying all the building materials by hand or cable systems, and the pilons were helicoptered in by the Nigerian Air Force.

Restaurant, shop and toilets available at the site.

After the tram trip, you are taken on a guided tour of the grounds - in the pouring rain!

Moravia: the Point for Souvenirs

by besbel about Moravia

Moravia is the area of San José where you will find streets full of souvenir stores. There is a HUGE variety of little things to remember San José and Costa Rica, from keyholders to clothes, leather and glass articles, ceramics, etc., and at the lowest prices and special discounts for volume. Take your time for choosing! There are tons of Costa Rican souvenirs, however, the one I recommend is the typical Costa Rican that you won't find anywhere else: the wooden carriage of coffee. You would find it at any size, any color and any prize, and Moravia offers them all to you.

I mention this because the other stuff like glasses, pens, exotic animals, bookmarks, etc, can be found also with similar characteristics in other countries, but with the name of the country/city changed.

The mexican style!

by BEETLE_VERTE about Maria Bonita

We found this little restaurant with the good advice of the friendly staff of the Cacts hotel. I probably wouldn't have choosen this place on my own, since the front of this restaurant was dark and looked abandonned, with only the boss sitting at the end of one table watching sports on tv.

But once you enter, the friendly staff directs you to the garden in the back with nice wood furniture to enjoy a good meal, fiesta style, in the middle of the not so charming west neibourhood of San Jose.

We spent a large part of our time there watching the news on tv (in spanish but no sounds!), trying to find out what happened in the last few days. Very fun, kind of a puzzle to pass time!

... Second time around, on our second trip. Went back to the same restaurant... back to "our" table! Everything was still as good as we remembered... We found a mexican influence in the food almost everywhere we went. Here, it's marvelous, an nothing to do with the heavy-sticky-cheesy stuff I knew. I don't remember everything on the menu since there was more than 50 items to choose from. We had enchiladas. Great, fresh, light, tasteful, at least a little spicy if not more.

Teatro National, and surrounding area

by nautilus32

Very interesting place to go not to mention very beautiful. The archetecture is amazing. Although the most interesting thing to me and the people I was with was outside. There are vendors selling everything from pottery to artists who are painting right outside the theater bought a painting from a artist named montevo. Have no idea if he is still there but was very talented. Always negotiate with vendors they expect it and you can get a very good deal, knowing a bit of spanish helps. I would recommend walking around the national theater for the day very interesting there were interesting people all around, performers, and stores. Really enjoyable day was had. Would not worry about crime at all, never had any problems in the whole country.

Comments