Hotel Kekoldi

Avenida 9, between Calle 5 and 7, San Jose, Province of San Jose, 1000, Costa Rica

Kekoldi Hotel
Booking.com Priceline.com Hostelworld.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 13% higher than other 2 star hotels

• eddyc's Profile Photo

Welcoming gay friendly hotel in San José CR

We stayed here on 5 april and 8 april 2008. We found it a very welcoming place. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, the beds were good, the bath room basic. Large walk in closet with safe deposit box (key costs $3). Furnishings simple, but stylish. We had a room on the street side, which is a bit noisy in the morning as traffic starts getting heavy around 6am. There is a nice courtyard, where breakfast is served in the morning.
    We went on a 3 trip to Tortuguero and during that time we were able to store the bulk of our baggage in their storage room at no cost. Staff helped us out with selecting restaurants, clubs, called and instructed taxi's and arranged our car rental to be delivered at the hotel.
    Reception is manned around the clock and will buzz you in. the outside door is always locked.
    the area is perfectly safe during the day and just 4 or 5 blocks from downtown. After dark it may feel a bit spooky as street lighting is not very good. It is a short walk to some good restaurants nearby and for us this was not a problem. We did notice however when we came back to the hotel from a night of clubbing that some of the street corners in the area had become the patch for prostitutes. This does not make the area necessarily unsafer, but it is something else...

Unique Quality: The building is a nice art deco city mansion. Rooms are spacious, yet simple. Nice courtyard. Close to downtown and good restaurants.

Directions: San Amon district, just north of downtown

More about Hotel Kekoldi

Hotel in San Jose Costa Rica

by LS18 about Hotel Kekoldi

The hotel is quite unusual in that all the rooms are different and its built around a pleasant garden. I would guess it was probably originally a private house. The rooms were clean and ours had a view of the garden. Its situated on the edge of the city centre--walking distance to the Pueblo entertainment centre though the owner warned us to take a taxi after dark. Overall the hotel was ok. However, our outward flight was cancelled meaning we missed the first night. We were therefore charged for this as is standard practice. However when we arrived the following day we were told we couldnt check in as the room was being cleaned. We asked why as the room was 'ours' for the previous night and we hadnt been there. The hotel then admitted they'd managed to sell the room for that night but wouldnt waive the 100% cancellation charge. Having to wait an hour after a long flight to get into a room we'd paid for left a nasty taste and seems unfair.

Costa Rica on the Fly

by t_c

So after a closing down the snowboarding season with a fabulous trip riding through the Canadian Rockies with Nick, I took off -- still drunk from the night before and looking a little green-- for my first big experience travelling alone. It was about 19 hours of flying time -- I took the milk run route -- and a crazy expierience going from -20 degrees and pure canadian powder to 36 degrees and pure american sweat in the Miami airport. I met a very nice Tico and his son on the plane that offered to drive me to a safe part of town to find a hotel. I ended up staying here, at Hotel Kekoldi -- totally out of my budget, but totally necessary for my peace of mind.

"More my style... or is it?"

I left Kekoldi for the local HI hostel where I met some amazing people who gave me my first understanding of the bond between travellers. The hostel Toruma was much more my style... and my budget.

Comments