Hotel La Amistad San Jose

Calle 15 Avenida 11, San Jose, Province of San Jose, Costa Rica

• caminoreal's Profile Photo

Great staff, great bar/restaurant

La Amistad is a peaceful little oasis on the fringe of downtown San Jose. The front-desk staff tries hard to be helpful and the bar/restaurant is very nice. Say hello to Asta, the bar/restaurant manager if you visit there.
    It's a short walk to the train station by Parque Nacional and only a few blocks to other beautiful downtown parks like Parques Espana and Morazan.
    It's not the cheapest hotel in the area, but the prices are competitive.

Unique Quality: The laundry service is free. Please just tip your maid who will take it away and bring it back. They also offer free calls to the U.S. from your room.

Directions: One block west of the big Hospital Calderon Guardia. Most taxistas know the hotel, but they all know where the hospital is.

• Costa Rica's Best place to stay

My wife and I have stayed several times at La Amistad Hotel Inn which is smack-dab in one of the most historic (colonial) central parts of San Jose (Barrio Amon). This area of central San Jose is very safe and quiet (http/hotelamistad.com) [info@hotelamistad.com]. La Amistad is quite historic in its own right and has a staff to welcome people from all over the world. The term "welcome" definitely applies -- from Owner, Matt Kinkelaar to the ladies preparing a delicious breakfast. English is spoken with clarity and with an attitude to genuinely help tourists and/or business people. The room accommodations (some semi apartments with kitchenettes) are newly furnished with good phone service, cable TV, computer room, and individual, well fitted bathrooms. Even the goldfish in the fountain are friendly (one is expecting since April 30). We paid $58.00 per night and would never think about staying at La Cuesta or any other hotel/B@B in San Jose. One great asset is La Amistad's location within several blocks of the well known Cafe Mundo. La Amistad can fix you up with a rent-car at competitive rates. My next trip there will be in July.
    Cy Bolinger

Unique Quality: GOOD SERVICE

• bonmse's Profile Photo

San Jose Centro - quiet barrio

La Amistad Inn is one of the quietest places I've stayed in San Jose. It's located in Barrio Amon, close to Hospital Calderon Guardia (mention this to taxi drivers if they don't recognize the name of the Inn).

The breakfast is adequate and the rooms are nice. Negotiate for a better price or better accomodations!

Unique Quality: Quiet residential street

Directions: Taxi Directions: 100 metros al Oeste del Hospital Calderon Guardia, Entrada de Emergencia.
    Show this to the taxi driver!

More about Hotel La Amistad San Jose

Hotel La Amistad and staff are the BEST !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Fischman

I have stayed at La Amistad for my last 12 business trips to Costa Rica. Located in Barrio Amon/Otoya, this is my ONLY choice for hotels in the metropolitan San Jose area.

Staff is Over the top helpful and friendly. Ask for Carlos or Rudi, the daytime managers, anything you need is there for the asking. From morning breakfast cooked to order, to the beautiful rooms, memory foam mattress' and hard wired internet in every room.

Hay muchos restaurantes buenos...

by bonmse

Hay muchos restaurantes buenos en San Jose. A mi me gusto el ambiente de 'Cafe Mundo', 100 metros sur del hotel 'La Amistad'. El restaurante del Hotel Presidente es muy bueno para el almuerzo.

Cuando usted este ahi, busque hasta encontrar un restaurante de su gusto.

Lo que si recomiendo es el 'Ceviche' tico, muy parecido a lo que los mexicanos comemos. El ceviche de la foto esta acompa~ado de un limon acido (muy parecido a la naranja) y de jugo natural (papaya, mango o lo que usted prefiera).

Pura Vida!

*******************************

There are many nice restaurants in San Jose. I liked the ambience at 'Cafe Mundo', just a block south of my B & B hotel 'La Amistad'. The restaurant at the Hotel El Presidente is great for lunch.

When you're there, hunt around until you find a restaurant you like.

What I do recommend is to sample the dish called 'Ceviche', made of marinated seafood, accompanied by 'limon acido' and natural fruit juice 'papaya, mango' or whatever you prefer.

great little botique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member luyendds

What a great little boutique hotel. I have been there several times
in the last 3 years and it has improved ever since.
The maids are the best. The front desk staff are very attentive and friendly. Breakfast were made to order. Owned and run by a
fellow American. They are adding a few more new very large rooms which I can't wait to stay there again.
This is how a small boutique hotel should be.
Hotel La Amistad is the best.

Dr. Nguyen

Exceptional Hotel Outstanding Staff

by TripAdvisor Member jht1

I recently stayed a total of 13 nights at Hotel La Amistad over the Thansgiving Holiday thru December 10th. It is a beautiful hotel, recently renovated with some work still going on to complete some Penthouse Suite additions. Matt, the owner gave me a personal tour of the hotel and the Penthouse additions (due to be completed in January). For the first week I stayed in one of the Penthouse Suites, which was a loft style w/bedroom upstairs, kitchenette and living area downstairs. The room was extremely spacious. For the remainder of my stay, I had a deluxe room which was still plenty spacious w/king bed, bath, A/C, micro fridge. In comparison to some of the other hotels I checked out the Penthouse Suites were around the same price for what other places were charging for just a standard room, and La Amistad's Deluxe rooms as far as rates and quality could not be beat.

The whole staff at the hotel is first rate, very friendly and always accommodating. Matt, the owner is usually available daily for assistance or just an engaging conversation over breakfast. He assisted some friends and I with a rental car, having it delivered right to the hotel, also with arranging an ATV Tour. Carlos, Rudi and Marlene are at the front desk to assist with any assistance or info you might need. The place is kept very clean by the attentive maid staff who also prepare your breakfast made to order and will even do some laundry for you if you require.

All rooms have high speed internet access, and there are three computers in the lounge for guests use. The hotel has a convenient central location to all the diversity and culture San Jose has to offer, much within walking distance.

I would definitely stay here again as I am returning to San Jose in March and have a reservation to stay at La Amistad

$50-$65/night, modern, underconstruction, Barrio Amon

by TripAdvisor Member blessed16

Hotel La Amistad

Price: $65/night (inclusive of breakfast, not taxes), $50/night (inclusive of breakfast, not taxes)

Location: Barrio Amon, bordering Barrio Otoya

We spent 2 nights at this hotel. The nights were 4 days apart from each other. When I first booked I paid $65 because Hotel Aranjuez was full. For our last night I paid $50 after I told them that I had reservations at Hotel Aranjuez for $47/night. We chose La Amistad over Aranjuez because we already knew what Amistad looked like.

The hotel is under new management and under construction. There is hard wood throughout and it is modern looking. Because of the construction there is some dust throughout the hotel. There are 3 computers available to access the internet. There are phones in all the bedrooms and you can call throughout Costa Rica, free of charge. The bus station to the airport is less than 5 minutes away and $1.60 ride in taxi. I can’t tell you how much a cab from the hotel to airport was because we took a cab to the bus station and the bus to the airport. The bus to the airport was .60 and took 25 minutes. Teatro Nacional is a 25 minute walk.

The breakfast consisted of fruits, eggs, toast, cereal, sausage, rice, coffee, tea, juice, and plantains.

We stayed in room #209, no a/c but did have a ceiling fan.

Great Place, Great Staff, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member SnookaBear

My hubby and I recently spent a total of 5 nights at Hotel La Amistad and we really enjoyed our stay (we were in CR for 2 weeks and made the La Amistad our place of residence each time we returned to San Jose).

The hotel is lovely and is in the process of becoming even more beautiful. It is undergoing some renovations, but don't worry, had they not told me it was undergoing some upgrades I would not have known. The construction is not noticeable. There is no dust, or work crews, or equipment lying around. There is just a little noise during the day and that really depends upon which room you get. We heard some hammering during the day on our 1st of 3 stays at the hotel (nothing in the evening or during the night) but when we returned for our 2nd stay we asked to be moved to another room so we would not hear the noise. They said certainly and we heard nothing day or night. Also, during that first stay, we were not in our room long enough for the minor hammering to bother us. By the time we returned to our room after exploring San Jose, work for the day was done and the sun was still out (well maybe not the sun because it rained A LOT in San Jose. Also San Jose...leaves a lot to be desired. And yes, I visited Escazu. I recommend visitors, get out of San Jose as quickly as possible but while you are there you stay at the La Amistad)

None the less, the hotel is nice, with some really great rooms, suites and studios. The owner, who is an American EXPAT, is very hands on and has the cutest babies. He gave us a tour of his pride and joy and we were really impressed.

The suites are...well SWEET! We stayed in one on our 3rd and final stay in San Jose. It had a full sized kitchen with granite counters, a full granite bar with stools, nice sized living space, large bedroom and two full bathrooms. It was lovely. The other suites are different but just as nice as are the studios. One suite even has a full sized steam room and Jacuzzi tub.

Our friends stayed in one of their standard rooms which was lovely as well. The standard rooms are just (as you would imagine) smaller (but not cramped). All the rooms are flanked with this amazing rich, local, dark hard wood, the beds were really comfortable, the televisions (in case you just have to have one) have flat screens, and the bathrooms are spacious. La Amistad also provides free wireless service, if you have a laptop, and if not, there are three computers available for guest use. The hotel offers all this and the price can NOT be beat. I just hope once the renovations are complete and the Hotel becomes THE destination spot in San Jose, that the prices remain as reasonable as they are today.

Finally, the hotel is within walking distance to downtown (again, downtown San Jose, nothing to rave about, but still interesting to experience) and within a short cab ride to a mall, a really great Jazz cafe (we went twice) and restaurants (there is a really great restaurant although a little pricey, within walking distance to the hotel. I can't remember the name, but it stays open 24 hours per day and is a traditional SODA.)

Hotel La Amistad...I will stay there again and again and again. One last thing…
PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS YOU MAY HEAR ABOUT THE CARIBBEAN SIDE OF THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY. It was the most beautiful, relaxing and refreshing part of our trip!!! When you go… I highly recommend going Puerto Viejo and staying at the BANANA AZUL...WOW...IT IS JUST PARADISE (you can see my pix and review)

Also, if you get to Manual Antonio, one of the most popular tourist locations, but still nice (that may be because we went during low season), stay at the La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows they owner is great and the place is AMAZING (you also can see my pix and review for that hotel). Pura Vida.

Five Star service at bargain prices!

by TripAdvisor Member Bolinger08

My wife and I have stayed at La Amistad several times (as late as July 23) and can't rave enough about the great service, comfortable rooms, each with a safe, fridge and new beds with heavenly mattresses. Genial owner, Matt Kinkelaar is on hand to give advice about the local Barrio Amon historic location within walking distance to main places, often where the action is, to see and do in San Jose. Matt has access to car rentals and quality tours all over Costa Rica which are important for a busy tourist. The breakfasts are delicious and even the fish in the lobby fish-pond seem cheerful and welcoming. "Service" is the name of the game at La Amistad. We have traveled all over Europe, stayed at many hotels from two star to five star. None of the five star hotels had anything on the quality of service offered at La Amistad. We are already booked there again beginning September 30.
Cy Bolinger