Hotel Santo Tomas

jmichaellight's Profile Photo

Great welcome

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 8, 2012

Very friendly an to other d helpful staff. The newer rooms are excellent. good value relative similar room sizes. Location and amenities are great for a business person who is working down-town. I had meetings with I.C.E. and some local tech companies...

Getting a Taxi in front of the hotel is very easy. Yes.. it does have a very high level of security... than is why they never have any problems with theft, vandalim, etc,

The small restaurant is one of the best locally...

I'm probably a bit biased. After 30 trips to San Jose and stays in all the large downtown hotels, I prefer the Sant Tomas by far... almost like family..

Unique Quality: Restuarant and staff, large rooms

Directions: Edge of downtown.

paularoman's Profile Photo

Decent Hotel in a not-so-great area

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 26, 2010

The bathroom and room were clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The area around the hotel does not seem very safe, especially at night. They have free wireless internet and a free "breakfast" which consisted of some fruit and pastries.

No Bargain Accomodations at Hotel Santo Tomas

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 7, 2005

The bed, bathroom, and room was comfortable and clean enough for the $90 per night with taxes. If peripheral razor wire around the premises and locking gate entrance is disconcerting, don't stay here. When coming and going, if you don't have arrangements for travel, you must depend on the front desk staff who ARE concerned for your safety.

No room safes, but you can get a key for a small box in the lobby. Retruning at night after a trip booked through the staff, the coach driver insisted on walking guests the few feet to the front gate not simply for his tip, but he knew of the growing possibility of confrontations and robberies perpetrated by the poor urban youth who victimize tourists. San Jose has changed so much ... personal security for tourists is a MUST. Not like when I first traveled to San Jose in 1992. I will return, but next time, I will not stay in the Barrio Amon area where Hotel Santo Tomas is, but will choose to stay in a more secure location. That's an adventure I'll pass.

I had booked a room in the interior, knowing of the street noise inherent in the city. It was nice and quiet.

The cleaning staff daily works on the old, beautiful features of this once grand place. I found a dead cockroach smack dab in the center of my room one day, an effect of the exterminator.
Mosquitos were a problem. The "gym" and "pool" are ludicrously small. Smoking inside only in the lobby area by the front desk. When I visited, "free internet" is limited to 30 min., an old Mac, 56K. Not top dollar here, remember. Additionally, there is a restaurant, however, I cannot comment as I had other dining plans each evening.

The "breakfast" is typical of this sort of accomodation in Costa Rica, consisting of sweet pastries and cookies in a plastic Tupperware-type containers, and includes a nice selection of tropical fruits. The unlimited morning coffee is excellent, of course, it's Costa Rica. The staff is careful to quickly clean up after inconsiderate and sloppy guests who share the small breakfast area.

Unique Quality: Staff is friendly and can arrange day tours.

Directions: Barrio Amon

jag17's Profile Photo

Smell The Coffee!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 14, 2004

The travel books and web sites give this hotel rave reviews. After staying here, I have mixed feelings. Our room was very large, had beautiful hardwood floors, and a high ceiling. The staff was very helpful, free internet service available, and continental breakfast provided. On the negative side, the hotel is located on a street that felt very much like a back alley. The front door is locked with a security gate. It doesn't exactly give you a warm fuzzy feeling. The lobby bar was closed, so we had to walk around the block to another hotel. As we left, several police officers had some teens up against the fence. It didn't make us feel that we were in a very safe neighborhood. We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of our vacation. Since we spent no time actually sightseeing in San Jose, I'm not sure if the location would have been more suitable for that. If you are okay with the negatives that I listed, the hotel itself is very nice and comfortable.

Unique Quality: Once inside, you really get the feeling of this beautiful mansion. Built by a coffee Baron, the building is over 100 years old.

Nearby Hotel Santo Tomas

• Kids Activities
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

San José Travel Forum

Need advice about San José, Costa Rica? Visit the Travel Forum for San José and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San José hotel reviews