Avenue 7 between Streets 3 & 5, San Jose, Province of San Jose, Costa Rica

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 59% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• jmichaellight's Profile Photo

Great welcome

Very friendly an to other d helpful staff. The newer rooms are excellent. good value relative similar room sizes. Location and amenities are great for a business person who is working down-town. I had meetings with I.C.E. and some local tech companies...

Getting a Taxi in front of the hotel is very easy. Yes.. it does have a very high level of security... than is why they never have any problems with theft, vandalim, etc,

The small restaurant is one of the best locally...

I'm probably a bit biased. After 30 trips to San Jose and stays in all the large downtown hotels, I prefer the Sant Tomas by far... almost like family..

Unique Quality: Restuarant and staff, large rooms

Directions: Edge of downtown.

• paularoman's Profile Photo

Decent Hotel in a not-so-great area

The bathroom and room were clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The area around the hotel does not seem very safe, especially at night. They have free wireless internet and a free "breakfast" which consisted of some fruit and pastries.

• No Bargain Accomodations at Hotel Santo Tomas

The bed, bathroom, and room was comfortable and clean enough for the $90 per night with taxes. If peripheral razor wire around the premises and locking gate entrance is disconcerting, don't stay here. When coming and going, if you don't have arrangements for travel, you must depend on the front desk staff who ARE concerned for your safety.

No room safes, but you can get a key for a small box in the lobby. Retruning at night after a trip booked through the staff, the coach driver insisted on walking guests the few feet to the front gate not simply for his tip, but he knew of the growing possibility of confrontations and robberies perpetrated by the poor urban youth who victimize tourists. San Jose has changed so much ... personal security for tourists is a MUST. Not like when I first traveled to San Jose in 1992. I will return, but next time, I will not stay in the Barrio Amon area where Hotel Santo Tomas is, but will choose to stay in a more secure location. That's an adventure I'll pass.

I had booked a room in the interior, knowing of the street noise inherent in the city. It was nice and quiet.

The cleaning staff daily works on the old, beautiful features of this once grand place. I found a dead cockroach smack dab in the center of my room one day, an effect of the exterminator.
    Mosquitos were a problem. The "gym" and "pool" are ludicrously small. Smoking inside only in the lobby area by the front desk. When I visited, "free internet" is limited to 30 min., an old Mac, 56K. Not top dollar here, remember. Additionally, there is a restaurant, however, I cannot comment as I had other dining plans each evening.

The "breakfast" is typical of this sort of accomodation in Costa Rica, consisting of sweet pastries and cookies in a plastic Tupperware-type containers, and includes a nice selection of tropical fruits. The unlimited morning coffee is excellent, of course, it's Costa Rica. The staff is careful to quickly clean up after inconsiderate and sloppy guests who share the small breakfast area.

Unique Quality: Staff is friendly and can arrange day tours.

Directions: Barrio Amon

• jag17's Profile Photo

Smell The Coffee!

The travel books and web sites give this hotel rave reviews. After staying here, I have mixed feelings. Our room was very large, had beautiful hardwood floors, and a high ceiling. The staff was very helpful, free internet service available, and continental breakfast provided. On the negative side, the hotel is located on a street that felt very much like a back alley. The front door is locked with a security gate. It doesn't exactly give you a warm fuzzy feeling. The lobby bar was closed, so we had to walk around the block to another hotel. As we left, several police officers had some teens up against the fence. It didn't make us feel that we were in a very safe neighborhood. We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of our vacation. Since we spent no time actually sightseeing in San Jose, I'm not sure if the location would have been more suitable for that. If you are okay with the negatives that I listed, the hotel itself is very nice and comfortable.

Unique Quality: Once inside, you really get the feeling of this beautiful mansion. Built by a coffee Baron, the building is over 100 years old.

More about Hotel Santo Tomas

Big rooms...

by tomas76 about Hotel Santo Tomas

The service was good (in context - everyone in the country is on "Costa Rica time"). They walked us through the pros and cons of renting a car vs. taking buses. Set us up with a rental car company and had the car delivered to the hotel. Santo Tomas is an old coffee plantation house converted into a hotel. Good location downtown, all sights in the area can be reached by foot. Large rooms, hardwood floors, and cozy atmosphere were all pluses. Because it was an old structure, sound carried throughout both on the inside and from outside. Wasn't a problem the one night we were there just an observation.

good value in downtown san jose

by doug48 about hotel santo tomas

inexpensive hotel in central san jose. american owned and the staff speaks english. if you are looking for luxury accommodations this is not for you, but if you need a clean comfortable room in an excellent location in central san jose i would recomend it. hotel has a small bar.

where in San Jose should I stay

by deyszum

I will be staying in San Jose from Jul27th to Aug1st.
I haven't booked hotel yet because I'm still confused as to where I should stay. City Center??? Downtown???

Also, Anyone out there recommend a hotel($50-$90/night) to stay (2 adults / 2 children).

by Suzie3

How old are the children? Many places do not charge for kids under 12 so this could make a big difference.

by Suzie3

Are there any amenities that are a must like tv or pool? Most of the hotels I am finding with any type of extras are running around $75-100 plus tax which adds a whole lot. The tax is 16% added on to rates.
I have stayed in the Hotel Don Carlos, Casa Verde, Holiday Inn Aurola, Orquideas Inn, Real Intercontinental.
Other places that are recommended frequently, Hampton Inn (by the airport), Hotel Bougainvillea, Pura Vida Hotel, Hotel Santo Tomas.

Don't despair, there are a lot of us here at VT so someone is bound to come up with something.

by aleyshon

You should stay at the Hotel Don Carlos.
Walkable to most place in the city, but far enough so it's not too loud. Very safe with a grage for rental cars.

by RayNewOrleans

We stayed at the Best Western Irazu for a week last year around the same time as you plan. We got in on the manager's special rate at 68USD/night. That included a small breakfast at Dennys (on hotel property and considered fine dining?). The hotel was satisfactory, the pool a bid chilly but gigantic and very clean, clear water. Located along THE main highway and an easy bus ride to town or the airport. Free airport shuttle available. We had to call their reservations central number to get this rate and it was not posted on the internet. Suggest that you look at the property on the BW website and call. there are plenty, even more inexpensive, to stay in the general area as well. Cheers

by AlajuelaNorth

Hello - rather than staying at square green hotel rooms why not try looking up www.costaricainnkeepers.com.

This is the web site of curently 80 small lodges, B&B;s and Inns in Costa Rica. There are plenty of offerings in the San Jose area. Many of them are in your price range.

Berni

by aquaspud

Try this one, very nice in a safe area. the Don Fadrique Web site info@hoteldonfadrique.com

Comments