Inca Real Hotel

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 35% less but rated 31% lower than other 2.5 star hotels

• ericdharma's Profile Photo

comfortable local find on a budget

The Inca Real is located in a block with a lot of other Hotels in Barrio Amon and ironically if you look in most guidebooks you will see the hotels listed which surround it (like the Brittania, The Pangea, and the Dunn Inn.) but it will not be listed. When I stayed there the rate of the moment was 45USD per night. The rooms are situated to face an indoor courtyard which is inside the building and shielded from the elements. While this is charming (and well decorated with glass and plants) it is a bit noisy. One thing that I noticed all over Costa Rica is that walls are thin no matter where you stay. You can hear everything happening in the other rooms at all hours. (Also Costa Rica is a major sexual tourism destination because prostitution is legal there). I'm sure that you can put two and two together and realize what I am trying to get at. The unfortunate reality is that you are going to encounter this wherever you lodge and since the Inca Real is a family hotel you have less of this there than there is at other hotels. What is a problem is all of the noise coming through from people milling about in the lobby. The good thing is that the bed is pretty comfortable and the room is a good size. You get full cable and there is a free WiFi connection. In the lobby there are two computers with Internet access for those without laptops but you have to pay for it (this doesn't really make sense to me but, again, they make their own rules in CR. ) Breakfast is included but it is meager. I'm talking about a couple peices of fruit, a glass of juice, and some toast with jam. Still, you can't complain too much because the room is clean and at this rate, with the amenities offered you can't beat this price in CR.

Unique Quality: Each room has windows but since your front door opens up to the inside of the building your windows face out to the lobby as well. An opaque sun roof lets in sheilded light from the sun and there are a number of potted trees in the lobby giving you the impression that you are outside. There is a travel agency and a gift shop on the first floor and they create the illusion that your rooms are looking down on a street scene outdoors. The rooms on the 3rd floor are the least noisy. The staff is really nice and helpful. The only problem that I had with them was when I decided to stay for about 3 weeks after a trip I made to the beach in Samara and they acted as if they were not used to people staying for such a long time. They kept asking me to pay the bill every few days or so and seemed to be worried that I would skip out on them in the middle of the night or something. That was annoying.

More about Inca Real Hotel

Great LITTLE Places to Stay in the Central Valley???

by crawfishmonica

HI all, I just became a member today so am on a roll with the questions. I am really looking for a small motel/hotel/ B&B that has a "local" flavor. Am willing to spend $40-$60 per night, really do want hot water!!!! I have looked at places like Posada Mimosa, Las Orquideas, Hotel Brilla Sol, even a couple of lodges.
Does anyone have any suggestions or critiques on places they loved??? Don't want to be in San Jose!!! Thanks all!!!

Crawfishmonica

by costaricaguide

try vidatropical.com

by Alajuela1

You might check out these places near the airport:

Casa Claro de Luna

Hotel Villa Bonita

Both are in Alajuela near the airport (but not noisy).

Re: Re: Great LITTLE Places to Stay in the Central Valley???

by crawfishmonica

Thanks so much for the input, I will definitely take a look see!!

crawfishmonica

Re: Re: Great LITTLE Places to Stay in the Central Valley???

by crawfishmonica

Ahh, a local!! Thank you so much for the ideas! Any thoughts or reviews on the places I named? Posada Mimosa, Las Orquideas or Hotel Brilla Sol? Want to know if they are at all like the websites make them look...

Muchas Gracias !!

Crawfishmonica

by hopabout

I am a little late in answering you....

If you are still looking, check out

Hotel La Rosa de America. Alajuela . I work there sometimes and it is just very sweet, clean, individual little bungalows and beautiful grounds and pool.

hopabout

by EFWR

I just thought I would add that I did not mind being in San Jose the two days I spent there last year. When I arrived I stayed at a downtown hotel called, I think, the Gran Hotel. It was dated and worn, but adequate. When I returned I tried to stay in another downtown hotel, but they were booked up so the cab driver took me to the hotel, Inca Real, ( hotelincareal.com ) This place is fairly nice at 40 dollars for one. I had trouble walking anywhere in San Jose so I took a cab anytime I wanted to go somewhere or get something to smoke. This hotel is just a few blocks from a popular area called I don't remember, but there are several restaurants, artisan shops, bar- clubs and small specialty stores. Worth going to. Also the enclosed mercado in the downtown area is an intersting place to visit and I enjoyed the lunch at one of the small sodas inside. And of course from here you can get anywhere and it was easy to buy a plane ticket to Quepos, and the bus ride from San Isidro to San Jose was less then three dollars if I remember correctly. So I can recommend San Jose for a day or two.

Comments