Escazu, Costa Rica
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Posada El Quijote

Jewel of an inn - particularly suited to those looking for calm and quiet

Posada El Quijote is a very unique and charming inn, and I can't say enough nice things about the owners, who are quite possibly the most gracious innkeepers I've met. The place is very clean, very safe, and very quiet. The views of San Jose (when the sky is clear) are exemplary and the gardens and patio are immaculate. And breakfast is a fun and filling event. It is definitely worth the cost.

The few drawbacks (depending on your point of view) is that it is not in San Jose - it is actually in a rather modern suburb, and you either have to take a 20 minute taxi or a bus ride to get into town (granted, this is not expensive at all, but can be a hassle). So if you're really interested in staying IN the city - this is probably not the place to book.

While the inn itself is gorgeous, the less expensive rooms were fairly modest, and should you be allergic, be aware that when we stayed there the owners had three very charming and well behaved dogs had the runn of the Inn (we found them to be an added bonus).

Last but not least, as I said, the innkeepers are exceptionally friendly and helpful, but if you are looking for a little romance, anonymity, or excitement this probably isn't the place for you.

All in all though, if you need a stopover place to stay outside of San Jose, this is as good as it gets. But as a young and adventurous traveler, I wouldn't necessarily make it a destination hotel in and of itself.

It couldn't get any better!

by TripAdvisor Member HappyTravellerNYC

We've just returned to New York having had the most delightful Costa Rican experience...in great measure thanks to Posada El Quijote.
Jose and Rosa are the most accomplished customer service staff who not only bring efficiency but that elusive ingredient, genuine warmth, to the care and keeping of their guests. Rita and Frank are the delightful and always concerned hosts...our wish was their command. Frank even accompanied us to the downtown San Jose market to "show us the ropes".
The inn is charming, impeccable, and an oasis which has just enough "country" and just enough "civilization" to allow a visitor the best of both worlds.
Breakfasts are delicious; beds comfy; access anywhere by ubiquitous taxis (which are inexpensive)is easy; the view amazing; and the hospitality beyond compare!

Home Away From Home

We spent a month (Sept. 19 - Oct. 19, 2005) at the Posada El Quixote in the smaller of their two apartments. Our apartment had loads storage and a huge bathroom with a great shower and plenty of hot water. We had a private balcony which included rock chairs. The laundry room with a huge washer and dryer was just a few steps from our door. The hotel itself is very well-run and maintained by Rita and Frank, the very attractive Canadian couple that manages the property. Jose and Rosa (the front office staff) were invaluable, as they answered our questions and helped us in countless ways on a daily basis.

The view from the sun porch is really beautiful and the gorgeous garden is just an added extra. Oh yes, the hotel has two outside dogs that greeted us faithfully everyday. But, the "queen" is Sophie, the indoor pooch who rules the roost. Sophie is a little chubby, so my husband nicknamed her "Tocina" (Spanish for bacon). Tocina is on guard at all hours, so we felt really safe -- ha ha. Speaking of which, Miguel, the night watchman is so nice and helpful too.

The common areas are very large and comfortable. Rita buys fresh flowers every week and arranges them beautifully throughout the hotel. The apartments have full kitchens, so breakfast is not included. But, many mornings I would enjoy coffee in the dining room with other guests who all raved about their food. The hotel offers wireless and DSL internet access -- truly a great convenience to have our laptop work right in our apartment.

The thing that makes the Posada outstanding are the people and the service they provide. Frank and Rita were always there to greet us with their fantastic smiles. They did everything from helping us carry in our groceries to arranging an outing where all the guests went to this special restaurant high in the mountains of Escazu. They did too many other things for us to list here. But, in short, they're fantastic! Jose and Rosa would do absolutely anything for you and did it with a smile. So nice!

We have since moved out of the hotel into an apartment about an hour out of Escazu. These people are all so wonderful and treated us more like family instead of just guests. Yesterday we stopped by the hotel just to see those million dollar smiles once again. Even though we're no longer guests at the Posada, Jose, Frank and Rita still continue to help us -- can you believe that?

We cannot recommend this establishment enough. You will be pampered and very comfortable as you explore gorgeous Costa Rica. Don't miss it!

Excellent Bed and Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Roluke

This place was great. We stayed our first and last night in Costa Rica. It was close to the airport and they can arrange for a driver to pick you up if necessary. The hosts are extremely friendly and do what ever they can to make your trip enjoyable.

The view from this place is beautiful. It over looks San Jose area.

The rooms are pretty big. I stayed in a double and it had a little porch area. The room had a cable TV, phone and comfortable beds. It was very clean.

The bathroom was spacious. The water pressure was incredible. It was like standing under a waterfall. The bathroom sink had both hot and cold water.

The garden area was very nice and well maintained.

Breakfast was provided and it was very good.

I would stay more then one night at this place. They can arrange tours for you.

Posada El Quijote - exceptional!

by TripAdvisor Member pdm39

There is nothing to say except exceptional! In every regard.

The Inn is managed by Frank and Rita from Canada. They are gracious and accomodating hosts with lots of knowledge about Costa Rica. Rita's breakfasts are spectacular - the fresh fruit, juice and delicious macademia nut pancakes! They will arrange tours and know about great places to dine. They even took us to a market to buy souvenirs. However, the inn has a good selection at great prices.

The front desk staff Jose and Andrea are awesome - pleasant and very very helpful. They will arrnage transportation into the city and to dinner. Taxis are very inexpensive and you can get the rate prior to leaving. To go to the centre of the city is about $5.

Ask Frank about Tiquicia - the restaurant sits high above the city on the side of a hill. The view is like no other and the food is terrific and extremely reasonable. The staff at the restaurant are outstanding. For 3 courses with 5 drinks 2 of us ate for $32 tax and tip included. Definately a must do.

The other restaurant we loved, and went to twice is at Hotel Grano de Oro. About $5 by taxi from the Inn, Grana de Oro has an indoor restaurant and outdoor courtyard. The food is EXCELLENT and the service outstanding. Both evenings we had 3 courses each, drinks and a bottle of wine and the bill, incl tax and tip was $80. Simply a wonderful setting.

We enjoyed the city bus tour which gets you oriented to San Jose. It shows you places and acquaints you in a way it would be difficult otherwise, and it is safe.

We went to a performance at the Theatro Nacionale which is a gorgeous restored theatre and any performance would be magical there. Top ticket prices are $20.

The rooms at Posada El Quijote and great. Very clean, very comfortable. We had a deluxe room at the beginning and end of our trip and both rooms were delightful and spacious. Both also had small sitting areas outside overlooking the entire city below.

The gardens, trio of dogs, breakfast, hosts and staff make this a highly recommended place to stay!

Dogs Barked All Night

by TripAdvisor Member Discerning Texas Traveler

We stayed 3 nights and each night was the same. Dogs barked all night long. The managers are fine, gracious, helpful people, but the owners of the place keep their two dogs there while they travel. The dogs bark CONSTANTLY at night. It was hard to get a good night's sleep. We certainly will never stay there again. I feel sorry for the managers, Frank and Rita, because they do a super job, but the owners' dogs ruin the experience.

Not like the brochure!

This was my worst experience out of 14 days in Costa Rica. Upon arrival this place was on a twisted hard to find backroad. Unlike the brochure, It looked so small. The smell of the room was bad and I complained immediately. I was told it was the only room so I unpacked, opened the windows and turned on the fan. Then the manager told me it was unsafe to leave the grounds for a walk, so I went outside to the garden to sit.. pursued by the dogs, friendly but annoying. I soon retired only to wake up shorty... itching. I went out to the desk (right next to my room) and complained again, they gave me 10 minutes to change my mind, saying they'd were going to lock up for the night. It was high season where was I going to find another room at almost 10pm?
I didn't sleep all night. Somewhere I beat a scratching record I'm sure. In the morning I had a pleasant chat with Frank, the only redeeming manager here. Nice fellow, very understanding. He was inclined to compensate me but his wife was not. The receptionist came into the room and we agreed that the stink was coming from the musty/dusty curtains. She asked the maid to clean them. The pancake breakfast was good despite the fact that they "don't keep cream" for coffee. Are they kidding? Then they tried to charge me for the previous persons 'tab'. Before I left I viewed some of the other rooms, only one room was even close to the brochure.

An oasis in the hills

by TripAdvisor Member Simone01

Having stayed at many hotels in Costa Rica from Manuel Antonio to Cahuita, I am very surprised to find anyone who doesn't agree that the Posada El Quijote in Esazu is an oasis in the hills. Waking up to the scene of San Jose in the valley and the mountains raising up behind was lovely, enhanced only by the french toast with blackberry syrup served to us for breakfast by the ever-friendly staff at the posada. Rita and Frank, the gracious Canadian hosts, were always informative and ready to help. The reception staff were also very outgoing and could easily arrange taxi service and the like. The posada itself seemed larger than shown in the photos and combined the personal feel of a B&B with the standards of any grand scale hotel. Our room was decorated with taste and kept immaculate by the maids, the gardens too were well-kept and contained so many blooming flowers and tropical plants. The garden was also enjoyed by the friendly hotel dogs which provided an extra sense of a home away from home. This posada is a must if you're staying in San Jose or if you are looking for a base for exploring Costa Rica.

Great !!

by TripAdvisor Member Infinart

Just returned from Costa Rica. Stayed at Posada Quijote our first & last nights. The staff are friendly & attentive - the rooms clean, spacious, and a la carte breakfast - freshly squeezed orange juice - a third of what you pay at a 5 star hotel - situated on a hill in a quiet neighbourhood in Ezcazu overlooking lights of greater San Jose. Call hotel to arrange a taxi - as some may have difficulty finding the property. Would recommend & definitely stay again.

home in the hills

Posada El Quijote is a lovely hotel in the "bed and breakfast" sort of style. The rooms are nice with great water pressure in the showers! Breakfasts are fantastic and the staff and managers are some of the friendliest people in all of Costa Rica. Another bonus for us was that we arrived in San Jose late at night and the hotel is relatively close to the airport (as in on the same side of San Jose)so it didn't take long to get to the hotel. We also were able to find it ourselves with a little help from the rental agency and a couple of maps. A little tricky without the benefit of street signs, but definitely not impossible. We stayed here again on our last nite as it was relatively close to the airport and our early morning flight.

Comments